PDA

View Full Version : In all seriousness: What's the word on Scanlon

Scanfan55
08-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Lots of big talk about him making the team by CP when he returned from Europe. Then nothing. FWW, I went to camp and I really like Boomer and DJ. They really want it. Boomer is hysterically funny and has the sponge-like attitude for someone who needs to learn, aka rookie. And, DJ is fast. The speed difference was absolutely apparent during drills.

Rain Man
08-21-2005, 04:08 PM
To be honest, I don't know. I've read in a couple of places that he's better than 50/50 to make the team, but there's a lot of competition, and some guys like Fujita and Stills appear to be playing well, along with Kris Griffin showing up out of nowhere. I think it'll be a tough decision on who to keep.

Phobia
08-21-2005, 04:08 PM
He had a nice series last night. Other than that, not a lot of talk about him. You'll know in the next 2 weeks, though.

Demonpenz
08-21-2005, 04:10 PM
scanlan should go to nfl europe for a couple more seasons

Chiefaholic
08-21-2005, 04:14 PM
During last nights game, Scanlons name was brought up during Petersons interview during the 4th quarter. Carl said that Scanlons probability in making the team was determined on whether they keep 7 or 8 LB's. Basically, he fighting for one of the last roster spots.

Scanfan55
08-21-2005, 04:16 PM
During last nights game, Scanlons name was brought up during Petersons interview during the 4th quarter. Carl said that Scanlons probability in making the team was determined on whether they keep 7 or 8 LB's. Basically, he fighting for one of the last roster spots.

I thought Gun said seven when camp started. That change?

C-Mac
08-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Peterson mentioned the possibilty of keeping 8 linebackers.

So did you...oops

TRR
08-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I think it all depends on if they want to keep 3 MLB's, or go with an extra OLB. If it were me, I would go with an extra OLB like Gary Stills. Still can play either OLB position, and can play DE in a pinch. He also is a solid special teams player.

KC has now shown too much of Kris Griffin to sneak him on the PS. I think Scanlon might be easier to sneak on then Griffin would at this point.

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 04:44 PM
DJ, Bell, Mitchell, Fox, Griffin, Fujita...and then either Stills/Scanlon/Grigsby

Grigsby should probably go to the practice squad

Rain Man
08-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Who do we have?

Johnson, Mitchell, Bell, Fox - Locks
Stills, Grigsby, Scanlon, Griffin, Fujita, DeRonde (sp?) - battling
Maslowski, Barber - Injury lists

I see Stills and Fujita as strong frontrunners for two spots, which means that the others are battling for one or two more spots. We know that at least one of those will be a MLB spot, and probably both if there are two.

It sounds to me like Scanlon either needs to beat out Grigsby or hope for an eighth spot.

TRR
08-21-2005, 04:52 PM
DJ, Bell, Mitchell, Fox, Griffin, Fujita...and then either Stills/Scanlon/Grigsby

Grigsby is 2nd team MLB and on just about every ST unit there is. He's almost a sure thing to make the squad.

TRR
08-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Who do we have?

I see Stills and Fujita as strong frontrunners for two spots, which means that the others are battling for one or two more spots. We know that at least one of those will be a MLB spot, and probably both if there are two.

It sounds to me like Scanlon either needs to beat out Grigsby or hope for an eighth spot.

DeRonde retired...

I see it shaking out like this...

Starters:
Bell, Mitchell, DJ

Bench:
Fox, Fujita, Stills, Grigsby

If they keep 7, that's who it will be. If they keep 8, it will be between Kris Griffin and Rich Scanlon. Right now, Griffin is with the starters, and Scanlon is 3rd team MLB.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Rich Scanlon looks like Rich Gannon.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
In all seriousness, Scanlon wont make this team.

Iowanian
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I think he's a practice squad canidate.

I think Grigsby will get the spot for ST play.

beer bacon
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
If Fox chokes against Seattle I hope they seriously consider moving Griffin past him on the depth chart. Griffin just looks really smooth out there. I hope he keeps it up.

milkman
08-21-2005, 07:01 PM
In all seriousness the word on Scanlon is "Scrub".

nascher
08-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Scanlon will make the team as backup MLB behind Kawika. Boomer isn't ready to play MLB in the NFL and we don't have any other MLB's.

JimNasium
08-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Scanlon will make the team as backup MLB behind Kawika. Boomer isn't ready to play MLB in the NFL and we don't have any other MLB's.I disagree. In a pinch Bell can move inside. You've got to play your best 3 and Scanlon is not in the mix. The guy is good as gone unless he makes it through waivers.

TRR
08-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Scanlon will make the team as backup MLB behind Kawika. Boomer isn't ready to play MLB in the NFL and we don't have any other MLB's.

Uh, yea....that's why Scanlon has gotten as much time with the 2nd team defense as I have at MLB.

Boomer is your backup MLB.

shaneo69
08-21-2005, 08:11 PM
I actually thought Scanlon played great last night, probably even better than Mitchell. Mitchell made the one great play that he is good at, blowing up the sweep. Other than that, Mitchell doesn't impress me.

Scanlon was bringing pressure on the QB's up the middle, made a great play to run down McCown after he faked out Fujita inside the 10, and Scanlon also made a great tackle on a punt return.

As big of a Boomer fan as I am, I don't think he's ready yet. Probably should go to practice squad. He made one great play to break up a pass, but looked awful against the runs up the middle.

And actually, while Boomer came in late during the 2nd quarter, he alternated series with Scanlon, and I think Scanlon definitely outplayed him.

Ari Chi3fs
08-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Scanlon will get cut and picked up by someone in dire need of a LB. They will then be saddened by the realization that the NFL Europe Defensive Plaayer of the Year... SUCKS... they will then shut down operation of the NFLE.

Scanlon will then be known as the scrub who ruined the NFLE.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Who do we have?

I'm thinkin' like Kev, here....but I think they keep 8.

IMHO, DJ, Kawika, Bell, Fox, Fujita are in. Then I think Griffin, Scanlon, and Stills make the squad. If they think Grigsby won't clear waivers (for the practice squad), THEN Scanlon may be in trouble. I think they'll carry 8 LBs, but only 8 DL (Hicks, Sims, Dalton, Allen, Wilkerson, Hall, Browning, and Sharpe).....with Stills being able to play DE.

I think Siavii is gone too.

milkman
08-21-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm thinkin' like Kev, here....but I think they keep 8.

IMHO, DJ, Kawika, Bell, Fox, Fujita are in. Then I think Griffin, Scanlon, and Stills make the squad. If they think Grigsby won't clear waivers (for the practice squad), THEN Scanlon may be in trouble. I think they'll carry 8 LBs, but only 8 DL (Hicks, Sims, Dalton, Allen, Wilkerson, Hall, Browning, and Sharpe).....with Stills being able to play DE.

I think Siavii is gone too.

I'm betting Siavii is IRed.

tk13
08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I thought he'd make the 53 man roster... but considering Kris Griffin is apparently seriously in the mix since he started last night, I'm hedging on that a bit. I'd imagine we could hide Griffin on practice squad as opposed to a guy who got a lot of notoriety in NFLE. We'll see.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Uh, yea....that's why Scanlon has gotten as much time with the 2nd team defense as I have at MLB.

Boomer is your backup MLB.

I just don't see it.....at the moment, unless they are planning on using Bell there too. Scanlon is the only player ready to step in at MLB, if Kawika goes down. NEXT year this time, Boomer may be ready; not now, IMHO.

I COULD see both Scanlon and Grigsby makin' the roster IF they think Grigsby can't clear waivers, AND they decide to chance Griffin on the practice squad. :hmmm:

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 09:08 PM
though I know it won't happen, I'd rather have Bell or Fujita play middle over Boomer/Scanlon, in the event of an injury...neither of the two anonymous white guys inspire much confidence..whoever said Scanlon played better than Mitchell last night is nuts...no offense..

Griffin has looked really good, I just hope he isn't this year's Richard Smith who craps his pants when the real games start...

ROYC75
08-21-2005, 09:19 PM
FWIW, I see both of them making the roster as well as Stills . I think we keep 8 LB's, Stills can always be used as a DE at times.

I know Boomer was / is having trouble with gap assignments, Gun has been very vocal about it. This is nothing unusual with a rookie and I see This is where Rich has the advantage.

I mentioned it once, Rich will be the # 2 MLB after camp is done.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 09:22 PM
...I mentioned it once, Rich will be the # 2 MLB after camp is done.

Maybe. And as I said, I think Scanlon makes the squad....

BUT, if Kawika goes down to a serious injury, I'd be willing to bet that within two weeks....Bell, is moved inside, with Fox or Fujita takin' over OLB for Bell. :hmmm:

jAZ
08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I still think Fujita would make a decent MLB. I like his speed and brains for the position. What does he lack (he must lack something given our troubles at the position in recent years and him not getting a sniff).

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I still think Fujita would make a decent MLB. I like his speed and brains for the position. What does he lack (he must lack something given our troubles at the position in recent years and him not getting a sniff).

Fujita is tall and rangy (6'5" IIRC); thus, easier to block for OL....so the theory goes.

Translated, that means taller, thinner LBs generally don't have the physical intensity and strength (check the biceps) to shed blocks and make tackles as well as they need to. At OLB, you are blocked more by WRs and RBs.....whereas in the middle, the beefy guys are comin' after you.

Hence, MLBs tend to be shorter (leverage advantage), stronger, and on the mean and nasty side.

Of course, there are exceptions.

Rain Man
08-21-2005, 10:43 PM
DeRonde retired...

Really? Did he feel his legacy was complete?

TRR
08-21-2005, 10:49 PM
I just don't see it.....at the moment, unless they are planning on using Bell there too. Scanlon is the only player ready to step in at MLB, if Kawika goes down. NEXT year this time, Boomer may be ready; not now, IMHO.

I COULD see both Scanlon and Grigsby makin' the roster IF they think Grigsby can't clear waivers, AND they decide to chance Griffin on the practice squad. :hmmm:

According to who? You? I think I'll take Gun's word over yours. And Gun's word is Boomer getting every rep with the 2nd team, and even some with the 3rd team as well. And Scanlon? Mop up duty just like last night.

Grigsby WILL NOT clear waivers, and either will Griffin. Griffin showed too much last night for him to last through waivers.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 10:56 PM
According to who? You? I think I'll take Gun's word over yours. And Gun's word is Boomer getting every rep with the 2nd team, and even some with the 3rd team as well. And Scanlon? Mop up duty just like last night.

Grigsby WILL NOT clear waivers, and either will Griffin. Griffin showed too much last night for him to last through waivers.

Yeah, dude....according to me. I've got an opinion just like everyone else here--even you. Of course, Gun's word is it. But there is always some reading between the lines to do. I think they are givin' Grigsby every chance to take Scanlon's spot, but thus far he has NOT done it--he has two weeks or so to change that. That's all I'm tryin' to say.

Personally, I think both Scanlon and Grigsby will make the roster. That means Griffin probably won't....unless they cut Fujita, which would be surprising to me. They'll probably work out a trade with somebody for one of them, because we do have something of a log-jam at LB right now.

Of course, that is JMHO.

TRR
08-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah, dude....according to me. I've got an opinion just like everyone else here--even you. Of course, Gun's word is it. But there is always some reading between the lines to do. That's all I'm tryin' to do.

Personally, I think both Scanlon and Grigsby will make the roster. That means Griffin probably won't....unless they cut Fujita, which would be surprising to me. They'll probably work out a trade with somebody for one of them, because we do have something of a log-jam at LB right now.

Of course, that is JMHO.

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion.

I guess my main question is, why is Boomer not ready to be the backup MLB, and Scanlon is?

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 10:58 PM

As are you. :D

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 11:00 PM

I guess my main question is, why is Boomer not ready to be the backup MLB, and Scanlon is?

You been watchin' the same preseason games I have? :shrug:

He's young, he's got a great attitude, and in time could be a keeper. If they keep him over Scanlon at this point, they are doing it based on potential....not performance, IMHO.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:02 PM
You been watchin' the same preseason games I have? :shrug:

He's young, he's got a great attitude, and in time could be a keeper. If they keep him over Scanlon at this point, they are doing it based on potential....not performance, IMHO.

I've been watching the same Preseason games, and saw nothing out of Scanlon that would suggest him being more ready to be a backup MLB in the NFL.

IMO, Boomer is just as far along as Scanlon is at MLB, is a better special teams player, and KC has more invested in Boomer than in Scanlon.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I've been watching the same Preseason games, and saw nothing out of Scanlon that would suggest him being more ready to be a backup MLB in the NFL.

IMO, Boomer is just as far along as Scanlon is at MLB, is a better special teams player, and KC has more invested in Boomer than in Scanlon.

You might be right. Time will tell.....about two weeks or so.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
You might be right. Time will tell.....about two weeks or so.

I honestly think Boomer is a lock. If they keep 8 LB's, I think the competition will be between Kris Griffin and Rich Scanlon.

Ari Chi3fs
08-21-2005, 11:59 PM
I honestly think Boomer is a lock. If they keep 8 LB's, I think the competition will be between Kris Griffin and Rich Scanlon.

If that is the case, then they try to hide Griffin on the PSquad. Scanlon could be a good trade bait? Based on NFLE, he could garner interest??

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2005, 12:05 AM
If that is the case, then they try to hide Griffin on the PSquad. Scanlon could be a good trade bait? Based on NFLE, he could garner interest??

IF Grigsby is a lock...based on drafting him, on potential....or whatever....I say Scanlon's trade value is as high now, as it's gonna be....same with Fujita...some teams out there would probably be willin' to give up a draft choice, or fourth or fifth string WR....maybe. :hmmm:

TRR
08-22-2005, 12:10 AM

KC has shown too much of Kris Griffin to hide him on the practice squad. To be honest, I think that's what they're trying to do with Scanlon. Not show him a whole lot in these Preseason games, and hide him on the PS.

Mecca
08-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Unless Griffin totally pukes on himself the next 2 weeks, I don't think he's getting cut. He played with the starters and played very well.

Him starting last night, to me, was them letting him either play his way onto or off of the team. I'd say he played his way onto the team. Hell I'd take Griffin over Stills at this point, atleast Griffin could actually play a defensive position in the game.

I'm not sure if Grigsby and Scanlon are as bad as they look. They are playing with the backup line which is brutal especially the DT's. Thing is if it's between Griffin and Scanlon, I don't think theres anyway he beats out Griffin.

I'm also not sure how high Gunther is on Fujita, he may be the one who's the odd man out. It would surprise me but it wouldn't shock me. He doesn't strike me as a Gunther kind of player.

Otter
08-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Apparently one of the Arizona 2nd string offensive linemen had a small piece of kryptonite under his shin pad that hindered his play. The league is currently looking into kryptonite abuse and will rule on it later in the week.

Bob Dole
08-22-2005, 03:03 AM
To be honest, I don't know. I've read in a couple of places that he's better than 50/50 to make the team, but there's a lot of competition, and some guys like Fujita and Stills appear to be playing well, along with Kris Griffin showing up out of nowhere. I think it'll be a tough decision on who to keep.

Nowhere (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2449250).

mcan
08-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Lots of big talk about him making the team by CP when he returned from Europe. Then nothing. FWW, I went to camp and I really like Boomer and DJ. They really want it. Boomer is hysterically funny and has the sponge-like attitude for someone who needs to learn, aka rookie. And, DJ is fast. The speed difference was absolutely apparent during drills.

I don't think you need to worry about Boomer making the team. His only competition is Mazlowski, and Maz isn't even on the field. Boomer should be the backup MLB without a question. As for Scanlon, he can play outside as well, so he still might make the team as a utility guy.

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Boomer is a lock. He was the 2nd pick in the 5th round. Usually only late 6th and 7th rounders are in jeopardy of not making teams.

cookster50
08-22-2005, 07:26 AM
You'll know in the next 2 weeks, though.

LOL, it is observations like this that keep me coming back to the planet. Can a Mod change Phobia's name to Mr.Obvious?

;)

BigRedChief
08-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Boomer is a lock. He was the 2nd pick in the 5th round. Usually only late 6th and 7th rounders are in jeopardy of not making teams.

Boomer is a lock. Scanlon is defintely on the bubble.

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 07:53 AM
KC has shown too much of Kris Griffin to hide him on the practice squad. To be honest, I think that's what they're trying to do with Scanlon. Not show him a whole lot in these Preseason games, and hide him on the PS.

I'm sorry, you don't hide a player the caliber of Scanlon who has had alot of media coverage from his NFLE sucess.Every NFL coach knows what he did over there so hiding him is really out of the question.

Boomer has done nothing, I mean nothing to warrant keeping him over Rich. The only thing Boomer has done is gather alot of hype from his comments, which I might add is more exposure than Rich has ever gotten. You may be right, maybe we can't hide Boomer because of his media hype. :rolleyes:

FTR, Boomer is a rookie that that is out of place alot, missing more gap asingments than making.He needs to learn the NFL game. You claimed Boomer is better than Rich on ST's . How ? Again he needs to learn this, which is much easier to learn than MLB, so this shouldn't be of problem to him.

Boomer was around for mini camps, Gun has had more time to teach the kid, a chance to like him. Rich wasn't available until TC. Yes Boomer has been getting more snaps as the 2nd unit. But that does not solidify him as the # 2 right now. That position is open and you don't want to admit it. If you believe he was , why does the Chiefs depth chart have him at # 3 ?

All of this crap about potential and upside is hogwash. Both have talent, talent that can be used somewhere in the NFL. From what we have read, Boomer is faster but at the same time he is smaller.

It has been 2 preseason games , both of which Boomer has looked lost within the scheme ( so I hear from many fans, I haven't watched the 2nd game yet ) .

I'll get back to ya after watching today's telecast..........

jidar1
08-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Boomer will make it. Griffin has been a surprise and a damned good one, I expect him to make it as well. Scanlon has been a bit disappointing.

One play in particular he was on kick coverage where he got to the returner way ahead of everyone else then stopped and missed the guy in open space, the return ended up for a decent gain.

To be fair tackling a kick returner in open space is not easy, but that was his chance to show his stuff as the NFLE Defensive player of the year and he got burnt.

Phobia
08-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Why are you still fighting for Scanlon, Roy? You have to wait 2 weeks and then you'll know. Convincing us proves nothing. Wait for the cuts and you can either gloat or pay off your bets. Heh heh.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 07:58 AM
The "word" on Scanlon -- "invisible".

That's basically it. He's done nothing to distinguish himself. The only redeeming factor is that the "word" on his competition, Boomer Grigsby, is "hype".

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Why are you still fighting for Scanlon, Roy? You have to wait 2 weeks and then you'll know. Convincing us proves nothing. Wait for the cuts and you can either gloat or pay off your bets. Heh heh.

Didn't know I was...........

2 weeks, you are right. I was just wondering why a rookie who has shown us nothing is better , that's all.

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 08:00 AM

That's basically it. He's done nothing to distinguish himself. The only redeeming factor is that the "word" on his competition, Boomer Grigsby, is "hype".

Can't argue this, I want to see Rich in action with the 1st team some.........

OK, game time for me, catch ya later.

BigRedChief
08-22-2005, 08:02 AM

Boomer is hype. But I think alot of people empathize with him because he's not the fastest or the strongest or has the most talent. They see all heart. As a football fan I'm a sucker for a dude thats giving it all to play the game. Especially if he's wearing my teams colors. Over Hyped? Probably. So what? So was Maz. I still love Maz. Hell I hope they hire him as an assistant coach just so I can still see Maz in the team colors.

Phobia
08-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Didn't know I was...........
`
Then why are you trashing Boomer?

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Boomer is hype. But I think alot of people empathize with him because he's not the fastest or the strongest or has the most talent. They see all heart. As a football fan I'm a sucker for a dude thats giving it all to play the game. Especially if he's wearing my teams colors. Over Hyped? Probably. So what? So was Maz. I still love Maz. Hell I hope they hire him as an assistant coach just so I can still see Maz in the team colors.

Boomer has talent, he's fast, the fastest MLB we have and he is strong for his size. He has a passion for the game that coaches love, we fans love, he has the media comments that the fans love.

Does he have it upstairs to learn the scheme right away or will it take time to develope.

DJ is on the field because of his playmaking ability, rest assure he will get beat at times this year because of the lack of understanding the scheme.

BTW, we get the pluggin AZ coverage........... :banghead:

tiptap
08-22-2005, 08:08 AM

Scanlon played a season in the NFLE. That means if he is to make it through the NFL season he needed to be rested and not tested. Boomer needed the work in order to get up to speed and so he is getting the reps at MLB backup. But that doesn't mean that Scanlon hasn't already been evaluated in his play in Europe and with his experience from last year. I don't know who they keep but your reasoning is faulty is making the case for Boomer based upon his reps.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 08:27 AM

Yeah, the empathy is why we kept Maz all these years instead of getting a real LB.

KCTitus
08-22-2005, 08:35 AM
The difference between Scanlon and Grigsby is the fact that Grigsby was a 5th round draft choice and Scanlon was an UDFA last year. While Carl is an idiot, I have a hard time believing that KC would piss away a 5th round pick that quickly.

This is assuming that the two are fighting for the last spot on the roster.

Rausch
08-22-2005, 08:40 AM

And with all the injuries it's going to make these bubble decisions a lot harder.

With the way Fox and (is it Griffin that started at OLB saturday?) our other new OLB are playing I don't see why we're holding out for Barber. He'd be great depth but how long 'till he comes back?

Same for Maz.

Chief Faithful
08-22-2005, 08:48 AM

From what I've seen Scanlon does not have equal speed or explosion to Boomer and Griffin. Based on that alone I don't think Scanlon makes the team.

As for Fujita he is coming back too strong from injury to not make the team. He may even push out Griffin and Fox as the first alternate at OLB.

mcan
08-22-2005, 08:51 AM
1: A fifth round draft choice isn't that big of a deal. Very few of these guys turn out to be anything special. The Terrel Davises, Dave Szotts, and Dante Halls of the Draft are RARE, to say the least.

2: Boomer hasn't done anything? How about lead the defense in tackles in the first game? Does that count for "something?"

Chief Faithful
08-22-2005, 08:51 AM
FTR, Boomer is a rookie that that is out of place alot, missing more gap asingments than making.He needs to learn the NFL game. You claimed Boomer is better than Rich on ST's . How ? Again he needs to learn this, which is much easier to learn than MLB, so this shouldn't be of problem to him.

Boomer was around for mini camps, Gun has had more time to teach the kid, a chance to like him. Rich wasn't available until TC. Yes Boomer has been getting more snaps as the 2nd unit. But that does not solidify him as the # 2 right now. That position is open and you don't want to admit it. If you believe he was , why does the Chiefs depth chart have him at # 3 ?

Gun has given Boomer so much time and attention that I get the impression he really likes the guy and wants him on the team. I think the guy is a lock to make the team.

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Gun has given Boomer so much time and attention that I get the impression he really likes the guy and wants him on the team. I think the guy is a lock to make the team.

Which is a big part of it. Last year Gun wasn't a Fujita guy,so Fujita had to win him over.

Uatu
08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
I would much rather we kept Grigsby although neither looks great so far. At least Grigsby has made a few tackles and otherwise not been invisible during the preseason.

Not that he's looked overly impressive, but I can at least remember seeing him on TV.

TRR
08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Scanlon played a season in the NFLE. That means if he is to make it through the NFL season he needed to be rested and not tested. Boomer needed the work in order to get up to speed and so he is getting the reps at MLB backup. But that doesn't mean that Scanlon hasn't already been evaluated in his play in Europe and with his experience from last year. I don't know who they keep but your reasoning is faulty is making the case for Boomer based upon his reps.

Your about the 5th one to bring that crap up, and it's absolutely BULLSH*T. Why would they take time to rest an undrafted player that is fighting to make the team? Dante Hall didn't get to rest in practice when he came back from NFLE. Mike Maslowski didn't get a chance to rest when he came back from NFLE. Chris Horn didn't get a chance to rest when he came back from NFLE. Jeris McIntyre hasn't gotten a chance to rest since he came back from NFLE.

The coaching staff is not resting Scanlon. They rest players who are proven in this league...Priest Holmes, Will Shields, Willie Roaf. Otherwise you work. Scanlon means nothing to Vermeil. He's just another undrafted LB that is trying to make the team.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:20 AM
I would much rather we kept Grigsby although neither looks great so far. At least Grigsby has made a few tackles and otherwise not been invisible during the preseason.

Not that he's looked overly impressive, but I can at least remember seeing him on TV.

Part of the reason you saw him on TV was because the cameramen and announcers made it a point to show him on TV. Again, it's about the hype.

Uatu
08-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Part of the reason you saw him on TV was because the cameramen and announcers made it a point to show him on TV. Again, it's about the hype.

Yeah, to be fair, both of these guys are probably practice squad on a team that was returning a good defense.

Phobia
08-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Which is a big part of it. Last year Gun wasn't a Fujita guy,so Fujita had to win him over.

Yeah because Gunther had so much LB talent from which to select....

Saulbadguy
08-22-2005, 09:27 AM
I can't wait until his ass gets cut. Scanlon-mania has gotten run its course.

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 09:35 AM
FWIW, the 1st half is over ....... :D

For you Boomer lovers........ I can honestly say that Boomer is more fluid to the ball than Rich is. I can't say anything else other than last week he looked lost most of the time..........

See what the 2nd half looks like..............

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I can't wait until his ass gets cut. Scanlon-mania has gotten run its course.

Damn, go :deevee: about it. Why can't we have a discussion about out team or players.

On a side note, that 2nd half of that game was awful ........ :shake:

Only a handfull of players did anything.

FTR, my evaluation of the MLB's.........

Mitchell.........does look better in reacting to the ball on the runs. Took a couple of bad angles I seen and did appear to wrap up OK. As for dropping back into coverage, it appears to me he is too hesitant to commit for the fear of being wrong, thus leaving him slow to the ball. He still does a good job on screens and he can really blow a play up when he isn't blocked ....:eek:

Boomer ....... Everybody's poster boy was fluid in his movement, sideline to sideline was good as well as dropping back into coverage. The extra quickness he possess's over our other 2 MLB's is a plus. He seems to of had a better presence for the ball than the 1st game, even thou he had more tackles the 1st game. If he can get the gap asingments down he will benfit from it. His ST's coverage is good, his speed plays a big part here as well........ On a side note, what the blocks in the back :D It happens to all rookies, sometimes even veteran players.

Scanlon ......... Played solid, had some nice tackles, QB pressures on blitz's, deflected pass and 1 ST tackle. Missed 1 ST's tackle when he and anothe Chiefs player sandwiched the return man and neither was able to wrap him up. :shake:

Question now is , will we keep 3 MLB's or 2 ? We know( and many want ) Bell can serve inside if needed, might be the reason we keep just 2 MLB's. Has Bell took any snaps as the MLB from TC ? Anybody know ?

Who stay's and who goes ? Not a clue......

Boomer is a rookie, he will make mistakes, he has much upside due to his speed. Can he produceand be dependable if Mitchell goes down ? On a side note even thou many will not admit it, it will be much easier to hide on PS than Scanlon. FTR, if Boomer plays well these next 2 games,That might be impossible due to his ability and ST's play.

Scanlon is in his 2nd year of the scheme, he should understand it better. He does have the presence of awareness to this play. Just like any other LB we have, he gets caught up in blocks. His awareness and the ability to wrap up tackles is his biggest selling points. He is fast, as many here have said he is slow, you need to watch him all over again. He is in his 2nd year of ST's, you can see it as he is consistently downfield in position to make tackles. Some think we can hide him on the PS, I disagree. His name to too well known from NFLE and playing some from last year to go PS, he won't clear waivers.

Going to be some tough cuts to make if we just keep 2 MLB's.

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Your about the 5th one to bring that crap up, and it's absolutely BULLSH*T. Why would they take time to rest an undrafted player that is fighting to make the team? Dante Hall didn't get to rest in practice when he came back from NFLE. Mike Maslowski didn't get a chance to rest when he came back from NFLE. Chris Horn didn't get a chance to rest when he came back from NFLE. Jeris McIntyre hasn't gotten a chance to rest since he came back from NFLE.

The coaching staff is not resting Scanlon. They rest players who are proven in this league...Priest Holmes, Will Shields, Willie Roaf. Otherwise you work. Scanlon means nothing to Vermeil. He's just another undrafted LB that is trying to make the team.

You may ultimately be right, but the Roy-boys are gonna have fun with you when....er, if.....Scanlon makes the squad. Heh.

TRR
08-22-2005, 12:23 PM
You may ultimately be right, but the Roy-boys are gonna have fun with you when....er, if.....Scanlon makes the squad. Heh.

Why would they have fun with me? The guy's a career third stringer. He'll be the Chris Horn of LB's if he even makes the squad.

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2005, 12:23 PM
1: A fifth round draft choice isn't that big of a deal. Very few of these guys turn out to be anything special. The Terrel Davises, Dave Szotts, Scott Fujitas, and Dante Halls of the Draft are RARE, to say the least.FYP :(

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I can't wait until his ass gets cut. Scanlon-mania has gotten run its course.I want him to stay forever. A Planet without Scanlon is like Earth without Planet X.

Chief Faithful
08-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Didn't Fox start practicing some at MLB? That would allow Gun to keep just 2 MLB's instead of 3.

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Why would they have fun with me? The guy's a career third stringer. He'll be the Chris Horn of LB's if he even makes the squad.

Just lookin' forward to CP's version of "Deliverence," heh....

ROYC75: "TRR....git your hiney over here, boy."
TRR: "Okay, okay....I was wrong; Scanlon saved our season once Mitchell went down. Who'd have thunk the NFLEurope Defensive Player of the Year would go onto to lead the NFL in tackles, and sacks by a LB? WHO'D have thought hew was anything but a third stinger? I mean, come 'on, Roy?
royr17: "Dad? You want the vanilla KY warming gel, or just vasoline?"
ROYC75: "Both son. And get that internet porn Ho you porked to hook up the webcam over here.....PRONTO."

JK, TRR.....jk. heh.

TRR
08-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Just lookin' forward to CP's version of "Deliverence," heh....

ROYC75: "TRR....git your hiney over here, boy."
TRR: "Okay, okay....I was wrong; Scanlon saved our season once Mitchell went down. Who'd have thunk the NFLEurope Defensive Player of the Year would go onto to lead the NFL in tackles, and sacks by a LB? WHO'D have thought hew was anything but a third stinger? I mean, come 'on, Roy?
royr17: "Dad? You want the vanilla KY warming gel, or just vasoline?"
ROYC75: "Both son. And get that internet porn Ho you porked to hook up the webcam over here.....PRONTO."

JK, TRR.....jk. heh.

For that to happen, Boomer would have to go down as well. Also, Bell and Fox have stole some reps at MLB throughout TC.

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
For that to happen, Boomer would have to go down as well. Also, Bell and Fox have stole some reps at MLB throughout TC.

Come on, man....work with me. You gotta play along.....Scanlon is our backup MLB, get used to it? Okay.....;)

Valiant
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Me thinks Grigsby would be picked up by another team if we try that...

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Me thinks Grigsby would be picked up by another team if we try that...

That, and if we count Stills as a LB....I bet we keep 8. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Phil, a reference to the bet with Roy (post #53) is in here; along with some great insights on the LB-ing situation. Heh.

Has TRR been layin' low since Sunday? Heh.

:D

go bowe
09-06-2005, 10:21 PM
threadwrecker...

ooops, wrong thread...

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 10:44 PM
threadwrecker...

ooops, wrong thread...
rochambeau

:p

ROYC75
09-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Phil, a reference to the bet with Roy (post #53) is in here; along with some great insights on the LB-ing situation. Heh.

Has TRR been layin' low since Sunday? Heh.

:D

In ref., # 53, he is aware there was a bet, he doesn't recall the nature of the bet. :D

As for TRR, he has been MIA for some reason. However, I find that he did insert the sig line today. :D Nice sig you have there TRR .

Go back and reread this thread, there are some wonderful gems to pick out of this thread as far as comments and statements from the non-believers . :D :)

Cochise
09-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Are we going to have to put up with another season of this guy only being seen when he's holding on kickoffs, and then another offseason about how our defense would have been #1 if he had only gotten a shot?

ROYC75
09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Are we going to have to put up with another season of this guy only being seen when he's holding on kickoffs, and then another offseason about how our defense would have been #1 if he had only gotten a shot?

You still under estimate his talents, even after most of the evil naysayers
are slowly coming around to his ability ? :D :shake: Shame on you, how could ya.........

PS...... don't take this personal, it's time I had a little fun with this now since you all thought I was full of shit. ROFL