PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been Wild Boar hunting?

Mojo Rising
08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
My Dog (Tank, dock diving) won a 30 odd 6 rifle for the family that I picked up this weekend and the salesperson who helped me pick it up was telling me about Wild Boar hunting. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Has anyone been?

I am thinking of going on a weekend guided hunt for $650 this fall. I figure as an un-experienced Boar hunter the guides might teach me a thing or 2 that I can use in the future. I have hunted birds before but never Boar?

I heard that the loins and hams were good. The rest gets turned into sausage.

Spott
08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I've seen them in the wild a few times here in FL, but never had an urge to hunt them. I doubt that they are as good as a farm raised pig and I have heard that their meat is tougher from the few folks I know that have hunted them.

dtebbe
08-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Here in GA guys let the dogs run em' down and then you stick the pig with your knife to kill it. Guys love pig huntin', but I've never been. It's funny, the first time I talked to someone down here about it I asked them about shooting the pig, and everyone in the room looked at me like I was crazy, like "why the hell would you want to shoot the pig?".

I've heard that the meat is not real good. I'd like to get a big wild pig shank and try smoking it all day and see how it turns out.

DT

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I hear Bush has one for a pet...

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs04/photogallery/040818georgebush/George%20Bush-395.jpg

Mojo Rising
08-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Any idea how much the taxidermy bill would be to stuff one? Out here they are 150 - 400+ lbs.

If I hit one I think I would want it's head for my wall.

It will go very nicely next to my Len Dawson, Jerry Rice, Jack Youngblood and Jr. Seau/Rodney Harrison/Bryant Young.

That is once I move from SF and live in a real size house.

Bowser
08-21-2005, 06:28 PM
I hear Bush has one for a pet...

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs04/photogallery/040818georgebush/George%20Bush-395.jpg

Gaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Gaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Pet boars are expensive...

I heard G-dub paid $2.45 a gallon for that wild boar.

Bowser
08-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Pet boars are expensive...

I heard G-dub paid $2.45 a gallon for that wild boar.

For that one?

The economy is REALLY ****ed now........

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
For that one?

The economy is REALLY ****ed now........

Yeah, I heard he breeds them in Saudi Arabia too.

WTF is wrong with me?

NewChief
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Someone posted a great website several years back that detailed people hunting hogs with dogs. Here's one with a few pics, but this isn't the one I remember.
http://www.coquinadogoargentino.com/id3.html

The one I remember was much...rowdier...than this one.

Iowanian
08-21-2005, 06:48 PM
I have full intentions of heading south to stick some boars with bows in the next year or two.

My brother knows some guy in Alabama that would let us kill some for nothing...unguided of course.

Mojo Rising
08-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Someone posted a great website several years back that detailed people hunting hogs with dogs. Here's one with a few pics, but this isn't the one I remember.
http://www.coquinadogoargentino.com/id3.html

The one I remember was much...rowdier...than this one.

That hog couldn't have been over 80 lbs.

We used to have a Great Dane and my wife told me that they were Wild Boar hunters.

What kind of dogs do they use down south of the Mason Dixon?

NewChief
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
That hog couldn't have been over 80 lbs.

We used to have a Great Dane and my wife told me that they were Wild Boar hunters.

What kind of dogs do they use down south of the Mason Dixon?

A few different types, I think. They use bay dogs to run the hogs down. All different sorts, then you have the catch dogs that actually fight the hogs. Here's a story of a hog hunt where the guy describes the way it goes down and goes pretty in depth about his dogs.
http://www.catahoulaleopard.com/txhog.htm

Here's the dogs they use to actually catch the boars and tangle with them.

Dogo Argentinos. (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dogo.htm)

Mojo Rising
08-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Wow. 2 different types of dogs for the hunt. I think I'll stick to the guide and rifle instead. My dog is a bird dog. I could probaby bring Taz (Big Daddys Pit) and not need a gun or knife.

Fayetville, AR? I used to go to Beaver Lake every Summer as a kid. Lost Bridge Marina.

The last time I was there was in '95 and I was shocked by the development between '84 - '94.

How is the development between '95 - '05?

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 07:43 PM
They aren't dangerous to the dogs?

NewChief
08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Wow. 2 different types of dogs for the hunt. I think I'll stick to the guide and rifle instead. My dog is a bird dog. I could probaby bring Taz (Big Daddys Pit) and not need a gun or knife.

Fayetville, AR? I used to go to Beaver Lake every Summer as a kid. Lost Bridge Marina.

The last time I was there was in '95 and I was shocked by the development between '84 - '94.

How is the development between '95 - '05?

Absolutely insane. This area is one of the fastest growing in the nation. Luckily, Beaver still looks really nice, because they won't let people build houses within so many yards of the shore.

NewChief
08-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Umm...yeah. They're very dangerous to the dogs. That's why I wish I could find that old site that was posted a few years back. It had tons of pics of dogs with captions like "This was old Luke. He was a great dog, 'til he had a bad runin with a 300 lb. boar. Luke came out on the wrong side of that one, and we had to put 'im down after the boar gutted him and strung his small intestine about 100 yards before we took 'im down. Yup, they just don't make 'im like Luke anymore."

It was pretty wild.

Mojo Rising
08-21-2005, 08:39 PM

We aren't talking about Piggly Wiggly. Wild Boars have tusks and are agrressive.

I was told that the reason Great Danes had their ears cropped was so they didn't get bit. I think it was fore the show factor too.

Before our Great Dane died he would chase my Black Lab (looks like a Wild Boar from the back) when the lab was fetching a ball and I was amazed by the abilities of the Dane.

jspchief
08-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Hunting with dogs is gay IMO. Why not just go up to one in a cage and shoot it? F*ck that.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
No I went Wolverine hunting last summer and shot like 23 of them. One attacked my cousin so I like shot him with a 18 gauge.

ENDelt260
08-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Shitty day. Get attacked by a wolverine and then shot by your cousin.

chief52
08-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Shitty day. Get attacked by a wolverine and then shot by your cousin.

ENDelt...I love you sense of humor. Of coure I am 3/4, but I think it would be funny anyway!

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 09:54 PM
More like a shitty attempt to quote a shitty movie.

No but I did go wild whore hunting last weekend but didn't bag any.

jspchief
08-21-2005, 10:02 PM
ENDelt...I love you sense of humor. Of coure I am 3/4, but I think it would be funny anyway!I think you may be 4/4.

chief52
08-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I think you may be 4/4.

You may be right... ROFL Good night.

Bob Dole
08-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Back before idiots caused the timber companies to restrict access, Bob Dole went feral hog hunting up around Smithville, OK a few times.

It was basically an excuse to go wander around in the woods...saw very few and shot at zero.

A lot of states have relaxed the laws or are encouraging people to kill the damned things. You ought to be able to find some public land and hunt them for free...