PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made salsa ?

Ninjaman
08-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Got these tomatoes and need a recipe that taste like Old Elpaso or store brand.

chagrin
08-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Go buy a bottle.

That stuff is not salsa, it's mass marketed picante sauce. Fresh Salsa only consists of a few ingredients, such as diced tomatoes, jalapenos's, onions, lime juice, cilantro, garlic.

Herzig
08-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Diced Tomatoes
Diced Onions
Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 can of salsa verde
2 tbls. minced Cilantro
2 tbls. ground cumin
dice a couple of jalopeno slices(more if you like it real hot)
pinch of salt
squeeze of lime juice

Blend lightly in a food processor

Taken from the Herzig's House of Happiness Recipe book..

Ninjaman
08-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Picante= hot, peppery.

Salsa =Mexican for "sauce," salsa may be made with a variety of fresh or cooked ingredients.

Found this.

Margaret´s Picante Sauce

* 1 ½ Gallons Fresh Ripe Tomatoes (peel tomatoes by putting in boiling water for 15 seconds and then in ice water) hand chop and if tomatoes are watery - let set for a few minutes and drain off excess juice. This will make your sauce chunky!

Using a food processor chop the next 3 ingredients

* 3 large onions
* 8 bell peppers
* 1 quart jalapeños

Measure the following:

* 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
* 4 Tablespoon Salt
* 1 Tablespoon Pepper
* 1 Tablespoon crushed Red Pepper
* 2 Tablespoon Sugar
* 1 Tablespoon Salad Oil
* ½ cup Vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon Cumin
* 1 teaspoon Paprika
* 1 teaspoon Chili Powder

Put all ingredients in large pot - bring to rolling boil - turn down heat - Cook 20 minutes.

Put in sterile jars and seal.

Makes approximately 17 pints.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-21-2005, 09:58 PM
never mind

Ninjaman
08-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Never made it before . I have all these tomatoes from the backyard i want use before they spoil. They don't long you know.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Never made it before . I have all these tomatoes from the backyard i want use before they spoil. They don't long you know.

could start making tomato sandwitches
and who could forget

B.L.T'S

Ninjaman
08-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Spaghetti sauce too. Good for pizza also.

alanm
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE] * 1 quart jalapeños

Am I the only one who thinks a quart is a hell of a lot for a gallon and a half of salsa??? :eek: :fire:

KS Smitty
08-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Salsa is usually very basic. Our recipe (I brought some to the very first 37 Forever tailgating, don't know how many folks tried it) always receives very high compliments and is extremely easy to make. We usually make a double batch (about 2 1/2 gallons or so) and cook it outside on the turkey cooker to keep from heating up the house. Here it is:

3 quarts tomatoes peeled and quartered
4 (large) yellow onions quartered
4 bell peppers (w/o seeds) quartered/chunked
4-6 cloves of garlic (sliced)
10 banana peppers (with seeds)
10 jalapeno peppers (with seeds)
2 T salt
4 T cornstarch

Put everything except cornstarch in large pot and cook slowly (over low heat) til juices come out and onions get translucent. Bring to boil, add cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) stir in and boil 15 minutes (wait about 3 min after cornstarch is added to stir, it will thicken the salsa better). Can, freeze or refrigerate and eat.

Some folks think the mix is too chunky, it can be put it in a blender to chop the peppers/onions smaller, personally I prefer the big chucks of veggies so I don't do that. If you prefer chili pepper flavor then replace the 10 banana and jalapenos with 20 chili's or if you want to hurt someone use 10 or so habaneros. This makes a little over a gallon of excellent salsa with just enough "wang" to get your attention but doesn't burn. If you like weeds in your salsa feel free to add them, personally I don't need them. Mr. Smitty puts this on everything (rice, mac & cheese, chips of any kind, parmesan bread, etc.) and will also eat it like a bowl of soup with a spoon.

KS Smitty
08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE] * 1 quart jalapeños

Am I the only one who thinks a quart is a hell of a lot for a gallon and a half of salsa??? :eek: :fire:

No that's way too many peno's IMO, hell even a pint would be more than enough. Been making homemade salsa for a lot of years and that would definately make some :fire: , in both directions.

Phobia
08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
such as diced tomatoes, jalapenos's, onions, lime juice, cilantro, garlic.

Yeah - that's what I use mostly. But I hold back on the garlic slightly. Garlic doesn't like me very much. I also add fresh ground peppercorns and sometimes a little seasoning salt to achieve the flavor I like.

It's hard to beat fresh pico. For a twist, add some corn and black beans.

You can also lighten it up for those who don't like the spicy by substituting mango or pineapple for the jalapenos.

Ninjaman
08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
1 QT jalepeno peppers !

Hahaha....WTF ! ROFL

But it makes 17 pints ! ROFL

I pulled it off the internet. They're probably making it for a platoon of soldiers.

TRR
08-21-2005, 11:57 PM
If you don't have celantro in your salsa...Forget about it.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-22-2005, 12:13 AM
If you don't have celantro in your salsa...Forget about it.

right on got to have it

and as far as peppers go

(this will be spelled wrong) habinaro, and chiportle

have exelent flavor and heat

Phobia
08-22-2005, 12:17 AM
right on got to have it

and as far as peppers go

(this will be spelled wrong) habinaro, and chiportle

have exelent flavor and heat

Dude - you don't have to give us a warning before misspelling something, we're used to it by now.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Dude - you don't have to give us a warning before misspelling something, we're used to it by now.

i just wanted you to know to sound the word out
thats what i did

ptlyon
08-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Never done it myself either, but a gal here at work brought some in and it was outstanding. Here is the recipe:

10 cups of fairly small chunked up tomatoes (peeled and the seed pockets removed), ¼ cup of diced jalapeños and ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, one medium onion finely diced, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I use fresh garlic through my garlic press), 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers ¼ teaspoons cumin, ¼ teaspoon paprika.

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly refrigerate until well chilled, mix again, At this point sometimes I add a bit more salt.

Divide into containers it can be frozen or canned. If you can it I believe it is a 40 minutes hot water bath. I have always frozen it.

jidar1
08-22-2005, 08:23 AM
My wife makes the stuff and cans it. The only thing I know about it though is concerning the canning part: Fear the botulism. If you're going to do home canning read up on the subject so you do it safely. Botulism kills people.

chagrin
08-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah - that's what I use mostly. But I hold back on the garlic slightly. Garlic doesn't like me very much. I also add fresh ground peppercorns and sometimes a little seasoning salt to achieve the flavor I like.

It's hard to beat fresh pico. For a twist, add some corn and black beans.

You can also lighten it up for those who don't like the spicy by substituting mango or pineapple for the jalapenos.

Yummy, yeah adding the corn is tasty! I like to sub out the tomatoes with Mango, keep the Jalapeno's too... :)

rageeumr
08-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Got these tomatoes and need a recipe that taste like Old Elpaso or store brand.

Not talking smack or anything here (tough to tell over the internet sometimes) but if you want Old El Paso, why don't you just go buy it. The point of having something you make yourself is that it's DIFFERENT and generally more in tune with what you like. The only reason I bring this up is because it's exactly the same as the KFC thread you started a couple of weeks ago. If you want something that tastes like KFC, I'm pretty sure I can tell you where to find it.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Store brand is NASTY.

FYI for everyone here, salse is COOKED.

Personally, I prefer it fresh...

Just diced tomatoes, green peppers, white onions, a bit of jalapeno, and a bunch of fresh cilantro...

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Store brand is NASTY.

FYI for everyone here, salse is COOKED.

Personally, I prefer it fresh...

Just diced tomatoes, green peppers, white onions, a bit of jalapeno, and a bunch of fresh cilantro...

Nah, i need a different recipe because my wife makes this and proceeds to put like half of the total weight in as the Cilantro. In my opinion that's WAY TOO MUCH cilantro. I'm making the salsa from now on and thanks for the recipes peeps.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Nah, i need a different recipe because my wife makes this and proceeds to put like half of the total weight in as the Cilantro. In my opinion that's WAY TOO MUCH cilantro. I'm making the salsa from now on and thanks for the recipes peeps.

That is way too much cilantro.

rageeumr
08-22-2005, 09:55 AM
GEORGE: "Why don't they have salsa on the table?"
JERRY: "What do you need salsa for?"
GEORGE: "Salsa is now the number one condiment in America."
JERRY: "You know why? Because people like to say "salsa." "Excuse me, do you have any salsa?" "We need more salsa." "Where is the salsa? No salsa?"

I am convinced that there is a Seinfeld quote/reference that would be appropriate for about 75% of the threads here. Now if we could just get a reunion episode guest starring Rich Scanlon we would have all of our bases covered.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Yeah I know :rolleyes: , try telling that to my wife.

ENDelt260
08-22-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm contractually obligated to make a cilantro sucks post here.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah I know :rolleyes: , try telling that to my wife.

Cilantro is the cowbell of fresh pico de gallo...you absolutely have to have it. But I would say that if you're using more than a few leaves, that's too much.

TRR
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM

There is no such thing...

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 11:07 AM
There is no such thing...

I don't know, cilantro can really overwhelm the other flavors in your salsa...

BigOlChiefsfan
08-22-2005, 11:12 AM
"Gazpacho soup. Refreshingly cold on hot summer days, this classic Spanish soup deliciously combines the best of summer vegetables. Make sure you only use the freshest, highest quality ingredients for this soup."

I don't know about all that, just know I like it. Good way to use tomato surplus.

6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cups tomato juice
1 can chicken broth

Combine all ingredients. Blend slightly, to desired consistency. Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to blend. Good stuff.