PDA

View Full Version : R Dean: Chiefs relish relay running back attack

Wile_E_Coyote
08-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Rick Dean, Topeka Capital Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Chiefs got a brief glimpse Saturday night of a phenomenon the Denver Broncos have experienced for years.

A truly effective running back relay team.

It happened in the first half of the 24-17 loss to Arizona, long before No. 3 quarterback Damon Huard and the KC reserves threw away a 10-0 halftime lead posted by the regulars.

Priest Holmes, after busting loose for 13 yards on his first run, suddenly seemed stuck in neutral. Seven carries later he had a net of three additional yards to show for his efforts. He played on three possessions, then retired for the night.

It was Larry Johnson's turn with the baton.

The third-year runner started nearly as poorly as Holmes finished. But after getting swarmed for a loss of four, Johnson stormed back with carries of 16, 6, 11 and 12 yards before he was finally stuffed for no gain on a second-down play at the 20.

In Johnson's mind, this is what a complementary running game is all about.
"It's hard to just come into a game and change the tempo, but I think that's the great thing about me and Priest playing in that kind of combination," Johnson said. "He's going to give you the outside runs, and he'll make you miss. Then you get a back that's going to take it right at you and won't stop until you fall over.

"I think that can open some eyes, get the offensive line excited to be bowling over people."

Johnson finished the night with 49 yards on nine carries, a decent 5.4-yard average. He now has 86 yards on 17 carries in two preseason outings for a 5.1-yard average. Holmes is averaging 4.8 yards on his 12 tries following his big 4-for-42 start against Minnesota.

Come the regular season, of course, Holmes most likely will return to the traditional role of the featured back. Johnson will be there when he needs a breather or -- as happened last year when Holmes missed the season's final eight games -- if he gets hurt.

Still, it wouldn't be surprising to find offensive coordinator Al Saunders recommending that Holmes take more breathers this year, knowing that Johnson can be effective coming off the bench.

That would go against conventional wisdom that says a back gets better as he gets into the flow of a game and begins sensing where his holes will open.

Johnson, though, believes both he and Holmes still can be effective in a limited rotation.

"Priest showed he could do that at Baltimore and (the University of) Texas," Johnson noted. "I did it at Penn State when I had two guys ahead of me.

"There will be a point when he plays more than I will," Johnson acknowledged. "But there will also be a time when we need to bang people around, like when we're running out the clock. Then I'll come in and bang people around. I think we can co-exist."

Whether Holmes and Johnson ever play on the field together remains to be seen. The Chiefs have installed such a package on the practice field. Whether they show it on Sundays is anybody's guess.

One thing about such a package is certain. It won't have a blocking back.

"If we use it, one guy will be there as a runner and the other will be a receiver," coach Dick Vermeil noted. "Neither of those guys will be in there to block for the other."

That's fine with Johnson, too. His 100-yard receiving game last year against San Diego, which followed three 100-yard rushing games, showed him there is more than one way to get his Benjamin.

"I think that showed I can be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield, as well as being a runner," Johnson said. "Maybe this year I can run some corners routes like the receivers do -- dive and catch some balls, all of that."

And then Johnson thought of another wrinkle for Saunders' playbook.

"I think it would be nice to have us both in there and be able to run two separate screens," he said. "Wouldn't that shake defenses up?"

CHIEFS NOTES -- The Chiefs reported injuries to receiver and returner Dante Hall (sprained knee) and to Huard, who sustained a mild concussion during his 1-for-12, two-interception performance. Vermeil said the team doesn't believe Hall's knee injury to be a serious one but that it bears watching.

Bob Dole
08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Bob Dole would like to see both of them back there more often so the defense doesn't have any idea what to expect.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 07:50 AM
"I think it would be nice to have us both in there and be able to run two separate screens," he said. "Wouldn't that shake defenses up?"

And quarterbacks.

morphius
08-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Bob Dole would like to see both of them back there more often so the defense doesn't have any idea what to expect.
Exactly. Especially since both have the ability to catch the ball and turn it up field. I think with some nice fakes it could really bring our screen game back to what it was a couple years ago.

TEX
08-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Was our O-Line wearing Vasoline? :hmmm:

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-22-2005, 08:28 AM
beer me agrees with Bob Dole. That would be very fun.

Chief Faithful
08-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Exactly. Especially since both have the ability to catch the ball and turn it up field. I think with some nice fakes it could really bring our screen game back to what it was a couple years ago.

That could be very difficult to defense. Imagine on any given play action green could dump to the RB faking the hand-off or screen to the other. Both of which have to be watched closely by the LB's and safeties. Then you have Gonzo and Wilson sneaking into the open seam. Meanwhile you have Kennison and Parker spreading the field down the sidelines and through the seam.

Parker may be the biggest beneficiary of all.

trndobrd
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I've never seen the wishbone run in the NFL, but what would a defensive coordinator do with Holmes, Johnson, and Richardson all lined up in the same backfield?

HemiEd
08-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Not so fond memories of the RBBC being conjured up here. :doh!:

jidar1
08-22-2005, 09:37 AM
I've never seen the wishbone run in the NFL, but what would a defensive coordinator do with Holmes, Johnson, and Richardson all lined up in the same backfield?

Seriously, what would you do? I don't know jack about defensive play calling strategy and that's an interesting question.

I'll take a newbie stab at it though. You bring people in obviously, overload the strong side to defend against the screen? Hope Parker or Kennison don't burn your cbs?

Rain Man
08-22-2005, 09:53 AM
I think a lineup with Holmes, Johnson, Richardson, Gonzalez, and Dunn would be interesting. If you stack the line, we audible them all out on pass routes, and if you don't, you get a wishbone shoved down your throat.

trndobrd
08-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I think a lineup with Holmes, Johnson, Richardson, Gonzalez, and Dunn would be interesting. If you stack the line, we audible them all out on pass routes, and if you don't, you get a wishbone shoved down your throat.

Wow! Dunn cutting inside, followed by T-Rich, followed by Johnson, followed by Priest Holmes :drool:

...funny thing though, it was all play action, the throw is it Dante Hall with ten yards of space out in the flat.

Shox
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
No bone.

Just put Wilson in for Dunn and split Holmes or Johnson along with Wilson out. This will spread the D across the field and our Oline will dominate the run game.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 10:11 AM

IMO, running a Wishbone Offense at an NFL defense is suicidal, but I like the options out of the backfield you listed. It forces opposing defenses into a Goal Line type personal grouping, then we could split Gonzo and Priest wide with LJ in the slot, TRich as the single back and Dunn TE, or some similar type formation. Now the defense either has to call time out or adjust to a Nickel formation with extra linemen and linebackers on the field.
I like the mismatches that creates but surely Saunders has already schemed something like this up.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Johnson and Holmes compliment each well because they are so different.

the chiefs running game is very different when each are in there.

Holmes pretty much all sweeps and draws

Johnson most power draws and dives

defenses are going to have to game plan for each style of running game each week. :thumb: PBJ

trndobrd
08-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Being Al Saunders doesn't suck much.

I agree that you couldn't run a wishbone based offense in the NFL more than once, defenses are just too fast and too disciplined. But the options out of that formation would be.....wow.

Frankie
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Marv Levy ran the wing-T here a coupla years, which to my untrained eyes looked a lot like wishbone.

Shox
08-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Man reading this is getting me pumped to be in Arrowhead and watch this OFFENSIVE MACHINE run.

So many personel packages with the moving and shifting. Denfenses are going to totally warn out by the fourth quarter, especially mentally.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Marv Levy ran the wing-T here a coupla years, which to my untrained eyes looked a lot like wishbone.

I believe they’re both “triple option” type offenses.
Though that was against the talent of the day. Defenders are much faster now and the triple option isn’t a disguised offense, everyone can see it coming.
Plus it’s almost impossible to pass out of, it can be done but when most of your passing targets are in the backfield it doesn’t leave many options on the perimeter to spread the field.

morphius
08-22-2005, 10:27 AM
That could be very difficult to defense. Imagine on any given play action green could dump to the RB faking the hand-off or screen to the other. Both of which have to be watched closely by the LB's and safeties. Then you have Gonzo and Wilson sneaking into the open seam. Meanwhile you have Kennison and Parker spreading the field down the sidelines and through the seam.

Exactly. Just too many "weapons" to focus in on. Especially with the speed we have on the outside and the fact that TG doesn't even really need to be open to make a catch.

Rain Man
08-22-2005, 10:36 AM

The only thing that could possibly stop us would be the 12 men on the field penalties. :)

RedNFeisty
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
I am dying with anticipation waiting to see the starting line up with Johnson and Priest in at the same time. If Saturday's game is any indication of how the Chief's are going to play this year, I am going to cream my jeans every game.

Chief Faithful
08-22-2005, 10:48 AM
The only thing that could possibly stop us would be the 12 men on the field penalties. :)

ROFL It seems somebody had his coffee today.

morphius
08-22-2005, 10:56 AM
LOL! I mentally skipped over the Wilson part of that post.

CoMoChief
08-22-2005, 11:02 AM
I would like to have a 3 TE, 2 RB set with Gonzo, Dunn, Wilson, Priest, and LJ (if it's not a formation penalty).

Frankie
08-22-2005, 11:04 AM
If Saturday's game is any indication of how the Chief's are going to play this year, I am going to cream my jeans every game.
Have you ever heard of panties?
:hmmm:

Mr. Laz
08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I am dying with anticipation waiting to see the starting line up with Johnson and Priest in at the same time. If Saturday's game is any indication of how the Chief's are going to play this year, I am going to cream my jeans every game.
might i ask if i can accompany you to your next Chiefs game

please :fire:

Fried Meat Ball!
08-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Have you ever heard of panties?
:hmmm:
:banghead: Don't give her ideas!

ck_IN
08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
So would this be RBbC? ROFL

Frankie
08-22-2005, 12:43 PM
So would this be RBbC? ROFL
I had the same thought.

milkman
08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
I had the same thought.

As did I.

morphius
08-22-2005, 08:11 PM
As did I.
Ahhh, but RBbC is some something you do when you don't have a guy who is talented to be any every down back. This would be more like RBb talent overload.

milkman
08-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Ahhh, but RBbC is some something you do when you don't have a guy who is talented to be any every down back. This would be more like RBb talent overload.

Dammit, I quoted and responded to the wrong post! :banghead:

I mean't to respond to this:

Don't give her ideas

His response to asking Red if she'd heard of panties.

Now wonder the post didn't look right.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :banghead: