PDA

View Full Version : Grilling corn on the cob. Anyone know how to do?

Goapics1
08-22-2005, 07:20 AM
How long on each side? When do you know when done? Thanks

KC Jones
08-22-2005, 07:22 AM
I soak them a bit in salt water first. Turn em a few times on low heat. I really have no idea how long for each side. Leave the husks on of course.

the Talking Can
08-22-2005, 07:22 AM
leave the husks on...soak them in water before grilling....15 minutes, give or take...get a nice char all the way around...easy to do, tastes great....

Goapics1
08-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-22-2005, 07:23 AM
1. Light grill.

2. Put corn on.

3. Wait.

4. Take corn off.

5. Eat.

Bob Dole
08-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Soak them overnight in sugar water. Husks on.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 07:33 AM
I soak them a bit in salt water first. Turn em a few times on low heat. I really have no idea how long for each side. Leave the husks on of course.

leave the husks on...soak them in water before grilling....15 minutes, give or take...get a nice char all the way around...easy to do, tastes great....

What they said plus the wife likes to pull the husks back, pluck the silk then put tabs of butter, and occasionally some garlic, in the husks and use thread to tie husks back together.
Turn often.

You can also clean the husks and silk off and wrap the ear in foil with a tab of butter inside.
Again turn often.

Count Zarth
08-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Here's a nice pic I took:

jynni
08-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Grilled corn on the cob is the best thing ever.

We usually take the husks off, then wrap the corn ears up in foil with butter, salt & pepper. I think they usually go on the grill just before the meat and come off just after. They get turned every few minutes.

I never thought to leave the husks on - might have to try it that way next time.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Grilled corn on the cob is the best thing ever.

We usually take the husks off, then wrap the corn ears up in foil with butter, salt & pepper. I think they usually go on the grill just before the meat and come off just after. They get turned every few minutes.

I never thought to leave the husks on - might have to try it that way next time.

You’ll get a better “grilled” flavor to’em.

Robio9
08-22-2005, 08:30 AM
A little off topic, but has anyone ever tried smoking meats with corn cobs?

NewChief
08-22-2005, 09:01 AM
What they said plus the wife likes to pull the husks back, pluck the silk then put tabs of butter, and occasionally some garlic, in the husks and use thread to tie husks back together.
Turn often.

We do the same thing, but we put a coconut milk/cilantro blend on them. Yum!

MOhillbilly
08-22-2005, 09:08 AM
after soaking,ive always pulled the husk back and pulled the hairs off,then put a rub of butter and garlic salt.

trndobrd
08-22-2005, 09:13 AM
If I go with no husks, I wrap each in foil with a tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper and a tablespoon of water. Put them on the outside edge of the grill and let them go about 20 minutes, turning every time you go look at the meat.

With husks, I put them on. Walk in and get the meat, put the meat on the grill and turn the corn. Turn the corn and meat when it's time. Take the meat off the grill and take it inside. Get a clean platter, go outside and get the corn.

NewChief
08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
By the way, if anyone is really into grilling and looking for creative ways to do vegetables, this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558321276/103-2370447-6316615?v=glance) book is awesome. My wife only eats fish (no other meat), so someone gave us the book to give me ideas for grilling for her. There's some awesome stuff in it.

Here's the amazon review:

Amazon.com
Forget about the word vegetarian in the title, and don't think inspired is just hype. The Vegetarian Grill features a host of unexpected dishes that should interest almost everyone. Have you ever thought, for example, of grilling quesadillas or falafel; of making lasagna laced with grilled, chopped vegetables; or of using grilled vegetables to infuse a meatless split-pea soup with deep flavor? In the chapters on Flame-Kissed Pastas and Grilled Fruit and Desserts, check out the Roasted Garlic and Pepper Linguine, where grilling garlic, tomatoes, and sweet peppers caramelizes their natural sugars and adds smoky savor, and be sure to try the Grilled Pears with Chocolate Sauce, made extra-rich tasting with brown sugar.
If you decide to buy a grill on the strength of Andrea Chesman's recipes, read her clear discussion of the differences between gas and charcoal models. You will probably be inspired to buy what she calls a "vegetable grill rack" and a grill-wok, too, so you can enjoy grilling pizzas and making the chopped vegetables used in some recipes. Not only can The Vegetarian Grill help you enjoy eating more vegetables more often, but it is also likely to make you keep the grill fired up all year 'round. --Dana Jacobi

broncoholic
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Sounds strange, but if you throw the corn (husks and all) in the microwave for 5-6 minutes 1st, then put them on the grill for another 5 minutes they come out perfect.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Like broncoholic, I 'precook' husked, silked corn in the microwave or boil it for 4-5 minutes. Then I slather on 'zesty' italian dressing, slap it on the grill and turn it every 30-45 seconds for about 3-4 minutes until it brings up the sugars in the corn.

I've tried it other ways, and they're all good. This one is just my favorite.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 10:30 AM
We do the same thing, but we put a coconut milk/cilantro blend on them. Yum!

Sounds good, I’ll have to tell the wife ‘bout that. She’s a cilantro fan anyway and would love an excuse to use more.