PDA

View Full Version : Holthus update...last regular one...

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 08:42 AM
I'll post these as I get the chance, but he's spending so much time now talking about the Earlham Cardinals and taco pizza, that there really isn't anything to say.

Tynes will likely get some competition this week, but don't get your hopes up because the only guys out there suck just as bad as Tynes does. Morten Andersen probably won't come back, he was bitter about getting cut apparently.

Shields, Gonzo, and Dunn should all be back this week, and Bell is gonna get some hitting in. Good news.

ptlyon
08-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Tanks maqe

BigRedChief
08-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I'll post these as I get the chance, but he's spending so much time now talking about the Earlham Cardinals and taco pizza, that there really isn't anything to say.

Tynes will likely get some competition this week, but don't get your hopes up because the only guys out there suck just as bad as Tynes does. Morten Andersen probably won't come back, he was bitter about getting cut apparently.

Shields, Gonzo, and Dunn should all be back this week, and Bell is gonna get some hitting in. Good news.

I agree that Tynes is a Linn Elliott waiting to happen but there ain't nobody better out there right now. Maybe when the cuts start coming some team will have 2 kickers better than ours and we can pick him up but until then............Every kick is an adventure.

KChiefs1
08-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Don't the Vikings having a PK battle going on between Edinger & Elling? :hmmm:

Chief Henry
08-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I agree that Tynes is a Linn Elliott waiting to happen but there ain't nobody better out there right now. Maybe when the cuts start coming some team will have 2 kickers better than ours and we can pick him up but until then............Every kick is an adventure.

Big Red Chief,

Thanks for that clip of D.J. knocking that running back on his AZZ.
Thats great...

WHo are the Earlham Cardinals ? Are they from Earlham,Iowa.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Don't the Vikings having a PK battle going on between Edinger & Elling? :hmmm:

Who both suck? :hmmm:

tyton75
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
isn't Gramatica still out there somewhere? he's got a strong leg and wasn't as bad as Tyne's...

jynni
08-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Didn't Gramatica suck really bad last year?

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Big Red Chief,

Thanks for that clip of D.J. knocking that running back on his AZZ.
Thats great...

WHo are the Earlham Cardinals ? Are they from Earlham,Iowa.

Yep, the Earlham Cardinals.

See, Holthus has this thing where he tries to "localize" what ever radio show he's on. He ambiguously inserts the names of small towns, etc. -- I think he wants people to think he's well-travelled or something.

At any rate, for the first month of the season he's adopting the Earlham Cardinals as his Iowa small school football team...

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:25 AM
isn't Gramatica still out there somewhere? he's got a strong leg and wasn't as bad as Tyne's...

I was gonna ask which Grammatica, but then I looked them both up and both of them are worse than Tynes.

Rausch
08-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I was gonna ask which Grammatica, but then I looked them both up and both of them are worse than Tynes.

Unless kicking an extra point makes you hold your breath watching the guy he isn't as bad as Tynes...

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Unless kicking an extra point makes you hold your breath watching the guy he isn't as bad as Tynes...

Bill Grammatica missed a PAT in 2003, as did Morten Andersen.

mcan
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM

A lot of kickers will miss one or two extra points throughout a whole season. Nick Lowery, Jan Steneroud... Everybody does. It rediculous to think that a kicker can make all of his kicks. Plus, if there is a bad snap, a bad hold, a tipped ball, a blocked kick, a wet kicking surface, bad weather, a cross wind, or a decent rush from the defensive line, a missed kick is MUCH more likely to happen.

Go back and watch how much pressure there was on Tynes on that first missed kick. He actually HAD to kick to the right, or else it would have been blocked. I'm not saying he kicked it right on purpose to try and avoid the blocked kick, but I am saying that had he kicked it straight, it still wouldn't have been good. A block is WORSE than a miss wide right, because it's a live ball if the ball goes backwards. The second kick, again there was a TON of pressure. The guys we had in that game couldn't block anybody. Huard, Kilian, and Tynes all had guys right in their faces.

Rausch
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM

Just one, all year, right?

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not willing to tolerate a talented youn guy's mistakes. If Tynes was booming kickoffs and just had a case of the nerves messing up his FG attempts I could understand. But he doesn't have a strong point in his game.

If we signed a guy like Anderson who was a lock at 30 and under but sucked at kicking off I could deal with that. If it was a young guy inconsistent at FG's but had a booming leg on kickoffs I could deal with that.

But Tynes misses XPt tries, misses FG's, and isn't that good at kicking off.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Just one, all year, right?

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not willing to tolerate a talented youn guy's mistakes. If Tynes was booming kickoffs and just had a case of the nerves messing up his FG attempts I could understand. But he doesn't have a strong point in his game.

If we signed a guy like Anderson who was a lock at 30 and under but sucked at kicking off I could deal with that. If it was a young guy inconsistent at FG's but had a booming leg on kickoffs I could deal with that.

But Tynes misses XPt tries, misses FG's, and isn't that good at kicking off.

Tynes missed 2 extra point last year.

Bill Grammatica missed 1 in 2003, in TWO TRIES.

Shox
08-22-2005, 10:06 AM
A lot of kickers will miss one or two extra points throughout a whole season. Nick Lowery, Jan Steneroud... Everybody does. It rediculous to think that a kicker can make all of his kicks. Plus, if there is a bad snap, a bad hold, a tipped ball, a blocked kick, a wet kicking surface, bad weather, a cross wind, or a decent rush from the defensive line, a missed kick is MUCH more likely to happen.

Go back and watch how much pressure there was on Tynes on that first missed kick. He actually HAD to kick to the right, or else it would have been blocked. I'm not saying he kicked it right on purpose to try and avoid the blocked kick, but I am saying that had he kicked it straight, it still wouldn't have been good. A block is WORSE than a miss wide right, because it's a live ball if the ball goes backwards. The second kick, again there was a TON of pressure. The guys we had in that game couldn't block anybody. Huard, Kilian, and Tynes all had guys right in their faces.

If he did not kick right on purpose to avoid the block then he just missed the kick. What is your point.

Here is mine. We have to replace this guy, even if he has the leg he will never have the confidence and this cost us in some close games this year. My prediction is if Tynes is our kicker he will cost 2 games minimum.

Rausch
08-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Tynes missed 2 extra point last year.

Bill Grammatica missed 1 in 2003, in TWO TRIES.

As well as blowing out his leg in celebration before that. Yeah, Billy boy don't impress me much.

I'd be all for bringing in his brother to compete though. But then we've got that average/poor kickoff problem again...

tomahawk kid
08-22-2005, 10:20 AM
As well as blowing out his leg in celebration before that. Yeah, Billy boy don't impress me much.

I'd be all for bringing in his brother to compete though. But then we've got that average/poor kickoff problem again...

Martin sucks at kickoffs?

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 10:21 AM
If he did not kick right on purpose to avoid the block then he just missed the kick. What is your point.

Here is mine. We have to replace this guy, even if he has the leg he will never have the confidence and this cost us in some close games this year. My prediction is if Tynes is our kicker he will cost 2 games minimum.

Did Tynes cost us 2 games last year? If we're in a position to have kickers cost us important games, then Vermeil is no better than Marty.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Vermeil is no better than Marty.

I think we've already established that.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I think we've already established that.

Marty got 10 years to fail to win a Super Bowl. That's all I'm gonna say about that loser.

mikey23545
08-22-2005, 11:18 AM

If you're a kicker and you're watching the rush while kicking, you won't be making any FGs anyway...

penchief
08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Well....the good news is that we only have to worry about the kicking game this year and not so much the punting game.

At least that's something.