PDA

View Full Version : OK I'm being a wishful homer, but...

Frankie
08-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Killian strikes me as a diamond-in-the-rough that has a great 'timeline' opportunity to develop into Trent's successor. I am sick and tired of getting the hots for a stud college QB every draft time only to see another NFL team take him to the prom. Sure Killian threw that bone-headed interception, but I've seen Favre do the same. He also adlibs like Favre. What do you all think?

That said, I have to say my favorite style of the QB is the sniper or a surgeon. An accurate pocket type istead of the Favre type who runs around like a crazed chicken and makes plays but gives me a near corronary each time. Which, do you think, is Killian gonna be IF he can be developed in the next 3 years?

WisChief
08-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree, but it is very early to tell how he's going to turn out. He's a playmaker though - at least in the two games this season, he's made something happen after dumb ass Huard flushed it down the drain. My worry is that he won't even be on the team because of some unknown hard on that Dick has for Huard. At this point, there is nothing to lose by making Killian at least #3 and at most #2. If Green goes down, we're as bad as the Bears whether it's Collins at 2 or Killian. At least with Killian at 2 - he's playing and not rotting on the bench should Green go down.

David.
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm just going to hope that trent can play forever.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
i like killian better than huard

when/if killian gets his accuracy under control i think he can be a NFL level QB ... maybe even starter level.

Frankie
08-22-2005, 12:10 PM
when/if killian gets his accuracy under control i think he can be a NFL level QB ... maybe even starter level.

He was not very accurate, was he? Do you really think our QB coach can fix that? Otherwise the guy seems to have guts and playmaking ability.

SNR
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Didn't we have the same hopes and dreams for Pat Barnes and Ted White?

Right now I'm just going to do the right thing in every Chiefs fans' heart and doubt him until he proves me wrong.

SNR
08-22-2005, 12:13 PM
He was not very accurate, was he? Do you really think our QB coach can fix that? Otherwise the guy seems to have guts and playmaking ability.He was overthrowing small 5-yard dunks.

Part of it was probably jitters, but the other part of me just thinks he doesn't have the talent

Soupnazi
08-22-2005, 12:13 PM
I thought the same thing about Casey Claussen last year and you see where that went.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
He was not very accurate, was he? Do you really think our QB coach can fix that? Otherwise the guy seems to have guts and playmaking ability.
i think it's a mechanics issue ... footwork mostly

lets cross our fingers

Mr. Laz
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I thought the same thing about Casey Claussen last year and you see where that went.

my goodness he was bad :shake:

SNR
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
A good point brought up by Len and Mitch... Killian stares down his receiver, which basically tells the coverage "Hey, CB, you might want to get on #81, because I"m going to throw it to him, okay?"

Frankie
08-22-2005, 12:29 PM
i think it's a mechanics issue ... footwork mostly

lets cross our fingers

I'm gonna close my eyes and dream about our next generation of offense being nicknamed "Killian's Killers."

Frankie
08-22-2005, 12:31 PM
A good point brought up by Len and Mitch... Killian stares down his receiver, which basically tells the coverage "Hey, CB, you might want to get on #81, because I"m going to throw it to him, okay?"

That could be thaught. Accuracy, however, unless Laz's "mechanics" argument proves true, is a god-given talent.

jidar1
08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
The guy is mobile and managed to show a flash or two, but otherwise meh.

I mean, most of those throws were terrible. Our QB of the future? I highly doubt it.

PunkinDrublic
08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I think the Chiefs have proven they are unable to develop a QB over the last decade. I'd rather just pick up a veteran QB to take over when Green retires. One that's not over the hill of course.

Frankie
08-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I think the Chiefs have proven they are unable to develop a QB over the last decade. I'd rather just pick up a veteran QB to take over when Green retires. One that's not over the hill of course.

Like, mayhaps.... Patrick Ramsey?

Saulbadguy
08-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Yep. Telegraphs every pass.

I'd like to see if Huard can play any better this preseason. If not, i'd cut him and put Killian at the 3rd slot. God help us if we have to use either of them though in a real game.

PunkinDrublic
08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Like, mayhaps.... Patrick Ramsey?

Maybe however, I don't know enough about Ramsey but my point is I would rather go with a veteran QB instead of withstanding a few losing seasons to develop a QB who may or may not pan out. I say pick up a veteran QB simplify the offense a little and as he grows into the system expand the offense gradually. I'm just not comfortable with the Chiefs going through the growing pains that comes with starting a rookie QB.

ck_IN
08-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I haven't seen Killian play so I can't comment on him but I found your comment about Farve odd.

Personally I've never considered him an 'athletic' QB in the McNabb or McNair mold. I've always thought of him as more of an Elway or Steve Young; someone who can run but usually does so to buy time to pass.

That said I have to agree I prefer the pocket passer that can run a little. As much as I despise him I'd consider Elway the prototype QB to build a team around.

Valiant
08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Well taco told us plummer is better then Trent...

And Killian plays like Plummer...

So, it means Killian > Trent...

Dont you get the logic... ROFL

Frankie
08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Maybe however, I don't know enough about Ramsey but my point is I would rather go with a veteran QB instead of withstanding a few losing seasons to develop a QB who may or may not pan out. I say pick up a veteran QB simplify the offense a little and as he grows into the system expand the offense gradually. I'm just not comfortable with the Chiefs going through the growing pains that comes with starting a rookie QB.

We are supposed to have one of the better QB coaches in the biz. Our starter has about 3 years of good service left. If there was EVER a perfect time to start developing a young QB under a proven veteran, it is now.

PunkinDrublic
08-22-2005, 01:52 PM
We are supposed to have one of the better QB coaches in the biz. Our starter has about 3 years of good service left. If there was EVER a perfect time to start developing a young QB under a proven veteran, it is now.

Well IMHO the only way to develop a QB is through real game time experience. You might be able to memorize the playbook being second string but I'd rather bring in someone who has playing experience.

Frankie
08-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Well IMHO the only way to develop a QB is through real game time experience. You might be able to memorize the playbook being second string but I'd rather bring in someone who has playing experience.

That's why I'd say bring him in when the game is firmly won (or lost). Instead of Collins. Collins should only be there in case of an injury to Trent.

WisChief
08-22-2005, 02:06 PM
That's why I'd say bring him in when the game is firmly won (or lost). Instead of Collins. Collins should only be there in case of an injury to Trent.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this, but I can't think of a single good reason to do so. Collins has proven nothing - thank God - since he's been here. He's old, he's slow, he's clumsy and he has no future.

PunkinDrublic
08-22-2005, 02:09 PM

I would agree with that but there are very few games the Chiefs are involved in where it is a big blowout. The majority of the games are close enough that the starters stay in.

Kyle401
08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
At this point, he has been more impressive than Huard... which is to say not very impressive. At least he has shown the ability to make some plays occasionally. I'd say keep him as our 3rd stringer at this point.

Valiant
08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Isn't that how it happen in St. Louis and New England... Warner and "shit I forgot the NE QB's name" ohh, Brady were 3rd stringers when the starter got hurt???

1. starter
2. backup
3. QotF

So if the starter gets hurt temporarily the backup will come in.. But if the starter goes down for the season I would put in the QotF, and then the backup will still be the backup...

Well thats how I would run it...

PastorMikH
08-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I like Killian as well. He has 1 tangible that I have not seen in Huard - nor Collins for that matter, desire. As for his accuracy and staring down recievers, I seem to remember not too many years ago those were things that a QB we called trINT Green was known for. Now, after some solid coaching, Trent is a completely different QB.

Killian shows me heart and he also showed me the other night the way he was shouting orders and giving directions between plays that he will lead the team on the field.

To be honest, when Huard was on the field the other night, I had more hope in our D forcing a turnover and scoring.

wolfpack0735
08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
i still say put killian after trent in the preseason. killian would be working with some 1st and 2nd stringers. this would hurt huards feelings :deevee: but who cares. see what the kid has.

jspchief
08-22-2005, 02:46 PM
It's hard to form much of an opinion because our O-line is so sh*tty at that point in the game. Kilian constantly has some defender right on his ass.

I do think he plays with fire and athleticism. I just don't know if that will ever be combined with the talent and smarts to make a good QB.

InChiefsHell
08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
It's hard to form much of an opinion because our O-line is so sh*tty at that point in the game. Kilian constantly has some defender right on his ass.

I do think he plays with fire and athleticism. I just don't know if that will ever be combined with the talent and smarts to make a good QB.

Good point. How much better would he look if he was playing with all starters?? How bad would Trent look if he were playing will all scratch players? :hmmm:

milkman
08-22-2005, 08:51 PM
He was overthrowing small 5-yard dunks.

Part of it was probably jitters, but the other part of me just thinks he doesn't have the talent

A lot of QBs just out of college with any arm strength have difficulty with accuracy on short passes.

Both Brett Favre and John Elway had that issue in thier rookie seasons.

And I am talking about Favre in Atlanta's preseason as a rookie, not his first year in Green Bay.

That accuracy issue is something that can be coached.

What you can't coach is that ability to get out of trouble in the pocket and make plays.