PDA

View Full Version : Pat Robertson Calls for Assassination of Hugo Chavez - good grief.

nychief
08-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Televangelist Robertson calls for assassination of Venezuelan president

BC-Robertson-Assassination,0341

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson called on Monday for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him a "terrific danger" to the United States.

Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a former presidential candidate, said on "The 700 Club" it was the United States' duty to stop Chavez from making Venezuela a "launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

Chavez has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush, accusing the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

Electronic pages and a message to a Robertson spokeswoman were not immediately returned Monday evening.

Venezuela is the fifth largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to the United States. The CIA estimates that U.S. markets absorb almost 59 percent of Venezuela's total exports.

Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack down on Cuban and Venezuelan "terrorists" in Florida who they say are conspiring against Chavez.

Robertson accused the United States of failing to act when Chavez was briefly overthrown in 2002.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said.

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

memyselfI
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM

BC-Robertson-Assassination,0341

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson called on Monday for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him a "terrific danger" to the United States.

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/prolife/wristbands_600_450.jpg

memyselfI
08-22-2005, 10:24 PM
FTR, he was hot and heavy into supporting those 'freedom fighter' Contras so I would guess he'd have connections to support this effort as well.

nychief
08-22-2005, 10:25 PM

Awesome.

Uatu
08-22-2005, 11:22 PM
This guy went off the deep end years ago. Gives his side a bad name like many do all over the spectrum.

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
By God, that's outrageous.

He must have the same writers as Howard Dean. :hmmm:

Ugly Duck
08-23-2005, 12:29 AM
"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. Oh great - the Christian fundamentalists are at it again. Can you imagine what it would be like if we ever elected one of these "left-behind" nutcases to the Presidency?

Another right-wing Bushie conservative talk show host was fired for saying this: "We are at war with a terrorist organization named Islam"

But at least he had this to say after his firing: "I find it absolutely outrageous that pressure from a special interest group like CAIR (Council on American-Islam Relations) can result in the abandonment of free speech and open discourse on a talk radio show"

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/22/entertainment/e194055D99.DTL

Logical
08-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Pat Robertson is a dumbass, worse he is RRWNJ dumbass. His right to say stupid shit is ensured by the Constitution but I hope they take his 700 club's tax exempt status away.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2005, 02:01 AM
... I hope they take his 700 club's tax exempt status away.

I'd agree; there are plenty of organizations on both sides abusing that crappy law.... :shake:

Pants
08-23-2005, 02:08 AM
I'd agree; there are plenty of organizations on both sides abusing that crappy law.... :shake:

What crappy law?

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
What crappy law?

The "tax exempt" status laws....

BigMeatballDave
08-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Pat's a senile old man. However, if Hugo were to be assassinated, I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep over it...

BigMeatballDave
08-23-2005, 02:37 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/prolife/wristbands_600_450.jpgJust so you know, Hugo is not an innocent unborn child...
:)

NewChief
08-23-2005, 06:14 AM

Wasn't Chavez democratically elected?

Ahh well. Democracy and freedom are on the march....except where we don't want them to be. Seriously, that's a pretty quandary for this administration, and one that mirrors the situation we'll likely end up facing in the Middle East once democracy has been established: what do we do when the people elect leaders hostile to the US?

the Talking Can
08-23-2005, 06:17 AM
man, you Christians know how to party!

Amnorix
08-23-2005, 07:20 AM

ROFL

KC Jones
08-23-2005, 07:28 AM

Ahh well. Democracy and freedom are on the march....except where we don't want them to be. Seriously, that's a pretty quandary for this administration, and one that mirrors the situation we'll likely end up facing in the Middle East once democracy has been established: what do we do when the people elect leaders hostile to the US?

Duh!

Assasinate them!

Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

oldandslow
08-23-2005, 08:09 AM

Exactly.

We love democracy as long as it is OUR democracy.

Otherwise we would just as soon have a military junta that was doing our bidding.

jiveturkey
08-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Is this the same guy that was praying for Supreme Court vacancies?

Brock
08-23-2005, 08:46 AM
We should do what is best for us. If that means eliminating people who foster an atmosphere of hate against us, and I think it does, then go for it.

jiveturkey
08-23-2005, 08:50 AM
We should do what is best for us. If that means eliminating people who foster an atmosphere of hate against us, and I think it does, then go for it.That's a lot of "going for it" and it would probably lead to even more "going for it".

Uatu
08-23-2005, 09:39 AM
One thing the left does exceedingly well, and politically speaking you have to admire it, is to make Pat Robertson some kind of spokesman for the Christian right. He's all that they want to make average people think that your normal religious person is.

You could write a book easily full of whacky quotes from him over the years. You could write another with head-scratching political takes from his TV show. Doctrinally speaking, he says things with great, great routine that would place him at best on the outer rim of protestantism. He's nuts and has been for a long time. It's simply wrong to think he has a nickel's worth of influence on the average voter. He belongs on TBN with the other healers and money solicitors, and most people in your average church know that.

But if you're a Democratic strategist, that's the brush you want to paint every Christian in America with, and they are extremely adept with those broad strokes.

Braincase
08-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Sun Tzu said it, and I've paraphrased him several times in this forum. "Choose your enemies well, for you will come to resemble them." Pat Robertson is now doing exactly what the Islamic Wahabi leaders are doing - let's just kill the opposition and be done with it.

The Taliban say "convert or die", and pretty soon you'll see more and more folks on the EXTREME far Christian right advocating all-out war and the only thing that can save them from the onslaught is conversion to Christianity.

I hope I'm wrong, but if Sun Tzu was right a thousand years ago, then I'm afraid I might be right today.

Saggysack
08-23-2005, 10:53 AM
One thing the left does exceedingly well, and politically speaking you have to admire it, is to make Pat Robertson some kind of spokesman for the Christian right. He's all that they want to make average people think that your normal religious person is.

You could write a book easily full of whacky quotes from him over the years. You could write another with head-scratching political takes from his TV show. Doctrinally speaking, he says things with great, great routine that would place him at best on the outer rim of protestantism. He's nuts and has been for a long time. It's simply wrong to think he has a nickel's worth of influence on the average voter. He belongs on TBN with the other healers and money solicitors, and most people in your average church know that.

But if you're a Democratic strategist, that's the brush you want to paint every Christian in America with, and they are extremely adept with those broad strokes.

The left doesn't portray Robertson as anything. Ol' Pat does that quite well himself without the left's help.

So who is the spokesperson for the Christian right?

Radar Chief
08-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Sun Tzu said it, and I've paraphrased him several times in this forum. "Choose your enemies well, for you will come to resemble them." Pat Robertson is now doing exactly what the Islamic Wahabi leaders are doing - let's just kill the opposition and be done with it.

The Taliban say "convert or die", and pretty soon you'll see more and more folks on the EXTREME far Christian right advocating all-out war and the only thing that can save them from the onslaught is conversion to Christianity.

I hope I'm wrong, but if Sun Tzu was right a thousand years ago, then I'm afraid I might be right today.

So, because the Taliban say’s “convert or die” Americans are gonna suddenly loose their minds and believe Christian leaders when they say, “convert or die”?
Maybe I just have more faith in Americans willingness to say, “F you in the A with that chit” but I just don’t see it happen’n. :shrug:

Adept Havelock
08-23-2005, 11:14 AM

Braincase, very well said. There's a very good reason Sun Tzu is still taught at West Point, Sandhurst, and the Frunze.

Robertson issuing Fatwas? Oy....

Uatu
08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
The left doesn't portray Robertson as anything. Ol' Pat does that quite well himself without the left's help.

So who is the spokesperson for the Christian right?

Acting like a fool, yes, he does that well on his own.

But the media and the left do everything they can to connect him and make a type or authority association between him and regular religious people, like he's some sort of revered leader or authority figure to them. In reality he's regarded like Elvis Grbac is around here.

This is the clown who said we wouldn't have any casualties invading Iraq, who advocated nuking the place, said the state department needed to be blown up, said Presbyterians and Methodists are the spirit of the anti-christ.

He's a crazy old fogey who lost his marbles years ago and doesn't have influence over anyone but people with broken remote controls.

ChiefsGirl
08-23-2005, 11:41 AM
He's a crazy old fogey who lost his marbles years ago and doesn't have influence over anyone but people with broken remote controls.

But still find their way to the polls every election. Do you think people will send him millions of dollars but not pay attention to his political ramblings?

It's easier to blame the media though.

jiveturkey
08-23-2005, 11:42 AM

But the media and the left do everything they can to connect him and make a type or authority association between him and regular religious people, like he's some sort of revered leader or authority figure to them. In reality he's regarded like Elvis Grbac is around here. The media does this to most nut jobs. This isn't a ploy by the "left".

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are good examples from the other side.

The media also tries to connect what Hollywood says with mainstream dems.

Uatu
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
But still find their way to the polls every election. Do you think people will send him millions of dollars but not pay attention to his political ramblings?

So anyone who votes on a conservative basis is a Robertson zombie. Gotcha.

You know it may just be that conservatives keep winning elections because they hold the majority opinion. I know it's easier to blame someone else for one's own shortcomings though.

ChiefsGirl
08-23-2005, 11:57 AM
So anyone who votes on a conservative basis is a Robertson zombie. Gotcha.

Not what I said but who cares.

Duck Dog
08-23-2005, 01:16 PM
So what's wrong with assassinating Hugo Chavez? He all but declared war on us, for Christ's sake.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 01:51 PM
So what's wrong with assassinating Hugo Chavez? He all but declared war on us, for Christ's sake.

Using the same logic, we can appreciate those in Iraq who might want to kill the POTUS...

afterall, he's 'all but declared war' on them. :hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Using the same logic, we can appreciate those in Iraq who might want to kill the POTUS...

You are the only one this BB who appreciates, as you put it, your freedom fighters.

Saggysack
08-23-2005, 01:59 PM

But the media and the left do everything they can to connect him and make a type or authority association between him and regular religious people, like he's some sort of revered leader or authority figure to them. In reality he's regarded like Elvis Grbac is around here.

This is the clown who said we wouldn't have any casualties invading Iraq, who advocated nuking the place, said the state department needed to be blown up, said Presbyterians and Methodists are the spirit of the anti-christ.

That still doesn't answer my question.

mlyonsd
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
So we're all in agreement here.....

If Bush does spare this clown's life it's proof his policies are not in line with the religious right, right?

chagrin
08-23-2005, 02:02 PM
No one expects the Spanish inquisition!

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
BAHA their Ambassador called Pat Robertson a terrorist... ROFL

guess that means he's a freedom fighter to someone else.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
BAHA their Ambassador called Pat Robertson a terrorist... ROFL

guess that means he's a freedom fighter to someone else.

I would expect as much coming from you.

Uatu
08-23-2005, 03:23 PM
That still doesn't answer my question.

Sorry. I got wound up saying Robertson wasn't it that I forgot to answer the question.

I dont know if there really is one. I guess Dobson would be the most identifiable. He chairs one of the largest organizations, appears on TV, has a national radio show, mainstream religious views, etc. So I guess if I had to pick one, personally I would say he's someone more people would identify with.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry. I got wound up saying Robertson wasn't it that I forgot to answer the question.

I dont know if there really is one. I guess Dobson would be the most identifiable. He chairs one of the largest organizations, appears on TV, has a national radio show, mainstream religious views, etc. So I guess if I had to pick one, personally I would say he's someone more people would identify with.

James Dobson is Pat Robertson in his hay day...

two peas in a pod. I think Dobson is alittle more media savvy than to spout off something like this publicly.

ChiefsGirl
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Nice.

My observation is that women are merely waiting for their husbands to assume leadership. - James Dobson

State Universities are breeding grounds, quite literally, for sexually transmitted diseases (including HIV), homosexual behavior, unwanted pregnancies, abortions, alcoholism, and drug abuse. - James Dobson

vailpass
08-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Nice.

My observation is that women are merely waiting for their husbands to assume leadership. - James Dobson

State Universities are breeding grounds, quite literally, for sexually transmitted diseases (including HIV), homosexual behavior, unwanted pregnancies, abortions, alcoholism, and drug abuse. - James Dobson

What's wrong with these statements? Now be a good girl and give daddy a hummmer then fix him a sandwich, okay cupcake?/James Dobson impersonation
;)

Duck Dog
08-23-2005, 04:16 PM

It's not surprising that you need a lesson in telling the difference between the good guys and the bad guys.

Duck Dog
08-23-2005, 04:47 PM

After reading that again, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wise to forward this to the FBI. After all, you basically just said you agree with the terrorists in Iraq that want to kill the POTUS.

It doesn't sound like a threat, but more of an agreement. I'll let them decide.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
After reading that again, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wise to forward this to the FBI. After all, you basically just said you agree with the terrorists in Iraq that want to kill the POTUS.

It doesn't sound like a threat, but more of an agreement. I'll let them decide.

An agreement? ROFL It was an analogy.

You are a nutcase. Be sure you forward the context of the statement in relation to Pat Robertson's. Be sure to tell them 'Hello' for me. :rolleyes:

Duck Dog
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
An agreement? ROFL

You are a nutcase. Besure you forward the context of the statement in relation to Pat Robertson's. Be sure to tell them Hello for me. :rolleyes:

Here is what you wrote. "we can appreciate those in Iraq who might want to kill the POTUS..."

now had you said; 'can we appreciate those in Iraq who might want to kill the POTUS?

But then again, you have notyhing to hide, right?

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Here is what you wrote. "we can appreciate those in Iraq who might want to kill the POTUS..."

now had you said; 'can we appreciate those in Iraq who might want to kill the POTUS?

But then again, you have notyhing to hide, right?

Hum, let's see how one can play semantics with that sentence. I meant the bolded version of the word which indicates an understanding of.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=appreciate

ap·pre·ci·ate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-prsh-t)
v. ap·pre·ci·at·ed, ap·pre·ci·at·ing, ap·pre·ci·ates
v. tr.

-To recognize the quality, significance, or magnitude of: appreciated their freedom.

-To be fully aware of or sensitive to; realize: I appreciate your problems.

-To be thankful or show gratitude for: I really appreciate your help.
To admire greatly; value.

-To raise in value or price, especially over time.

You would like to reinterpret what I meant by saying I meant the third one. Nice try.

Duck Dog
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Hum, let's see how one can play semantics with that sentence. I meant the bolded version of the word which indicates an understanding of.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=appreciate

ap·pre·ci·ate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-prsh-t)
v. ap·pre·ci·at·ed, ap·pre·ci·at·ing, ap·pre·ci·ates
v. tr.

-To recognize the quality, significance, or magnitude of: appreciated their freedom.

-To be fully aware of or sensitive to; realize: I appreciate your problems.

-To be thankful or show gratitude for: I really appreciate your help.
To admire greatly; value.

-To raise in value or price, especially over time.

You would like to reinterpret what I meant by saying I meant the third one. Nice try.

You said it. Live with it.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 05:12 PM
You said it. Live with it.

I do. I just wish to point out how these disingenuous little myths/distortions get started...

sometime later you (or other nutjob on the board) will state I agreed with terrorists kill GWB. Mark my words...

Donger
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
I agreed with terrorists, kill GWB.

Now, that there's going to get you a little visit from the guys in shades.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Now, that there's going to get you a little visit from the guys in shades.

Yeah, that is how you guys do it...distortion and deception. Thank you for the demo. It's the most honest you have ever proven to be. :clap:

Donger
08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that is how you guys do it...distortion and deception. Thank you for the demo. It's the most honest you have ever proven to be. :clap:

What? I'm always honest.

Besides, it was supposed to be humorous. However, my attempts at humor regularly fail for some reason. Probably because I'm so honest.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 05:31 PM
What? I'm always honest.

Besides, it was supposed to be humorous. However, my attempts at humor regularly fail for some reason. Probably because I'm so honest.

I'm sorry. I didn't notice it was you. I would have gotten some humor out of it vs. the other nutjob.

The point stands though...that is how these little misstatements/urban myths get started. I'm actually grateful for a current example to point towards.

memyselfI
08-23-2005, 05:34 PM
baha, Lou Dobbs keeps saying ole Pat issued an EVANGELICAL FATWA.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

He's mad as hell that the WH has not come out against this in stronger fashion. Go Lou Go.

Logical
08-23-2005, 09:50 PM

Ahh well. Democracy and freedom are on the march....except where we don't want them to be. Seriously, that's a pretty quandary for this administration, and one that mirrors the situation we'll likely end up facing in the Middle East once democracy has been established: what do we do when the people elect leaders hostile to the US?Exactly, which is why there should be a timetable for activities so the US buys into occupations purpose. In the end the chances of the Government in Iraq not being hostile are not all that great.

go bowe
08-23-2005, 10:10 PM
What? I'm always honest.

Besides, it was supposed to be humorous. However, my attempts at humor regularly fail for some reason. Probably because I'm so honest.actually, i thought it was quite amusing...

i chuckled, if that means anything to you...

and fwiw, your attempts at humor do not fail regularly, just intermittently... :p :p :p

Logical
08-23-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't want anybody to kill the Potus, god forbid Cheney actually becomes President, from colossally stupid to colossally greed absorbed and don't give a chit about the US would be a disaster.

cowboy_big_rich
08-23-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't want anybody to kill the Potus, god forbid Cheney actually becomes President, from colossally stupid to colossally greed absorbed and don't give a chit about the US would be a disaster.

well said