PDA

View Full Version : CHIEFS preseason so far

chagrin
08-23-2005, 08:28 AM
yes, probably redundant but just "hear" me out please:

I haven't seen hardly any highlights and of course down here in Florida I have been lucky enough to watch the shitty Jag's with Byron Leftwhich throwing at everyone's feet, the Buc's (boring) and the Dolphins (that I think are new to the NFL or something because they have gus Frerotte starting for them)...

It just takes to long to read all of the confusing posts about the preseason so far, what with everyone starting their own thread about it. Can someone just sum it up for me in a few sentences? No need to break down the center of gravity on the RB or the O-Line setting their shoulders, blocks, etc. just tell me what you see/think, because it sounds like the ship is sinking, but I can't believe that, it's too early to tell anything.

If nobody feels like rehashing I understand.

John_Wayne
08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
We're DOOMED!

jidar1
08-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Lots of people sitting out for little boo-boos.

First team offense looks rusty, but lots of those guys have been sitting. Sammie and LJ look great though.

First team D looks promising. Surtain/Knight combo shuts down half the field, good thing because the other half is still really weak, missing warfield is going to hurt.

DJ seems to be coming along well and we're better at LB than we have been in quite awhile even though Bell has been sitting.

Colquit is doing a decent job with the punting. Not super but he looks like he should actually be in the NFL, he has potential to be a great punter. Tynes has been crap and is missing field goals.

Our 2nd-3rd team looks terrible, even compared to other 3rd teams.

chagrin
08-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Nice, thank you

chiefz
08-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Chagrin, one of the biggest things that I have noticed and makes me chuckle when I see it is Derrick Johnson getting into the backfield.

I remember all the talk about Johnson not being able to take on a block and I have seen him pancake a couple of blockers and still get to the QB and make a play.

chagrin
08-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Sweet, I can't wait to see him play this year, of course I will only see it on TV but still...

John_Wayne
08-23-2005, 09:06 AM
But don't forget........We're DOOMED!

CanadianChief
08-23-2005, 09:06 AM
To sum it up we lost to The Vikings and the Cardinals...oh yeah and Dick Vermeil cryed.

ROYC75
08-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Defense will be middle of the road, weak depth and if Trent goes down, we are fooked..........

If all goes well ...... 11-5

tiptap
08-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Lots of people sitting out for little boo-boos.

First team offense looks rusty, but lots of those guys have been sitting. Sammie and LJ look great though.

First team D looks promising. Surtain/Knight combo shuts down half the field, good thing because the other half is still really weak, missing warfield is going to hurt.

DJ seems to be coming along well and we're better at LB than we have been in quite awhile even though Bell has been sitting.

Colquit is doing a decent job with the punting. Not super but he looks like he should actually be in the NFL, he has potential to be a great punter. Tynes has been crap and is missing field goals.

Our 2nd-3rd team looks terrible, even compared to other 3rd teams.

My take is that Parker is not as good as Morton at this point. And he isn't a possession receiver. This is a step back at the beginning of the season.
The RT position is trouble on the line. We can't run the stretch play to the right with just our lineman at this point. Shields return will help but it makes us predictable to run plays to the left behind Roaf and Waters. We can run with LJ inside tackle OK. And with the return of Dunn and TG we should see better blocking on strong formations. The problem is that this makes our play calling predictable based upon formation. It would make the difference between a good offense and a great offense to resolve this.
The defense is getting better but the coordination between McCleon and Wesley has been lacking as opposed to Surtain and Knight. The linebacker corp is much faster but still not there to be a domineering factor the first 4 or so games.
The healty 1st team tackles are doing well (no second team to be seen). The present 1st team DE are doing OK. The line does not have QB pressure from the DE as yet. Jerod and Hall might help but we haven't seen it.
Colquett is good and Tynes will be average. But he makes the team if he can get the kick-offs right.

The offense is unpolished at this point. It is not the well oiled machine of 2 or even last year. The defense is better, more athletic. But hasn't learned to play with each other so there are breakdowns.

This coming preseason game is the one to really make judgements. The first teamers will play with rotations for a half or more. Everyone should be on the field for the most part. I think there is an arc toward better play but it needs to show itself even stronger for this week to guage how NYJ game could go.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Defense will be middle of the road, weak depth and if Trent goes down, we are fooked..........

If all goes well ...... 11-5

keep f**ckin' doubtin Odd Todd!! :cuss:

jidar1
08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
My take is that Parker is not as good as Morton at this point. And he isn't a possession receiver. This is a step back at the beginning of the season.

I don't see where that comes from. He's done nothing but produce so far, and I keep thinking back to a couple of spactacular grabs he had at the end of last season. I suppose he's new so you gotta figure there are going to be breakdowns eventually, but so far he's done everything right, and until he drops a ball or two he's better than the worm.

The RT position is trouble on the line. We can't run the stretch play to the right with just our lineman at this point. Shields return will help but it makes us predictable to run plays to the left behind Roaf and Waters. We can run with LJ inside tackle OK. And with the return of Dunn and TG we should see better blocking on strong formations. The problem is that this makes our play calling predictable based upon formation. It would make the difference between a good offense and a great offense to resolve this.

I agree with your observations but I don't agree with your conclusion. I don't think this problem is anything that Saunders can't overcome. Saunders running a predictable offense in the NFL is about as likely as there being no felons in the black hole.

The defense is getting better but the coordination between McCleon and Wesley has been lacking as opposed to Surtain and Knight. The linebacker corp is much faster but still not there to be a domineering factor the first 4 or so games.
The healty 1st team tackles are doing well (no second team to be seen). The present 1st team DE are doing OK. The line does not have QB pressure from the DE as yet. Jerod and Hall might help but we haven't seen it.
Colquett is good and Tynes will be average. But he makes the team if he can get the kick-offs right.

The offense is unpolished at this point. It is not the well oiled machine of 2 or even last year. The defense is better, more athletic. But hasn't learned to play with each other so there are breakdowns.

This coming preseason game is the one to really make judgements. The first teamers will play with rotations for a half or more. Everyone should be on the field for the most part. I think there is an arc toward better play but it needs to show itself even stronger for this week to guage how NYJ game could go.

All true. Time will tell where we go, but you gotta have a bit of optimism.

digi2fish
08-23-2005, 10:07 AM
nice thread, thanks

CanadianChief
08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm waiting to see L.J and Priest line up in the backfield together. That should pose a headache for most defensive coordinators. I think the split back, two tight end set would work pretty well for us.

chagrin
08-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Canadian Chief, check your PM's