PDA

View Full Version : Bill Belichick on CB/Safety Play (when to go for the pick)

Amnorix
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
In last week's game, rookie CB Hobbs goes for the pick, but is only able to get a single hand on the ball, which is deflected, caught by the WR, and run in for a TD.

In yesterday's press conference, Belichick got a little worked up about proper CB/Safety techniques and this may have partly in reaction to Hobbs' stupid comments after the game (basically saying he'd try it again). Hobbs has been very impressive as a mid-round pick thus far, but it looks like he may have annoyed BB.

Anyway, I thought BB's comments on proper technique and CB/Safety play were interesting, so I'm cross-posting the comments from the transcript of the PC from Patriots.com.

Q: When a guy breaks on a ball like that and doesn't get it -he says he got his hand on it- is that something you like for him to take that risk? And how do you coach that?

BB: How do you coach it? You coach it that if you can get two hands on the ball, you intercept the pass. If you can't get two hands on the ball, you try to knock the ball down with one hand and secure the tackle with the other hand. You can't go out there and miss an interception and give up a touchdown. You can't play like that. It's not worth it. How many are you going to intercept and run back for a touchdown? You have a good year if there's one. So until we see that play happen, we're already on the minus side of the ledger on that one: 'Oh I almost had it but I didn't,' and give up a touchdown. Until we intercept one and run one back, we're way below water level there. Once we do intercept one and run it back for a touchdown, then we're neutral. You just can't make plays like that in the secondary. There's nobody behind you. If the safety or corner goes up and misjudges the ball and the other guy comes down with it and goes in for a touchdown you think the nose tackle is going to catch him? That's it. It's all over. You can't make that play. That's why the guy's called safety. Safety. He's the last one. He's the safety. If you're a corner and you're out there by yourself one-on-one, that's the same situation. That's the nature of the position. I'm not telling you guys anything you don't know, but that's the way it is. It's one thing when the nose tackle misses at a tackle on the line of scrimmage: the guy gains five yards. A corner misses a ball and it's a touchdown. A safety misjudges a ball, you're out there returning a kickoff. It's not the same. It's not even close to being the same, and they can't play like that. 'Oh, I thought I would make the hit. I thought I would intercept it.' Well if there's any doubt in your mind whether you can make that play then you've got to make the secure play and give the rest of the team a chance to line up for another down-- live to play another play.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
hobbs looks good ... i wanted the chiefs to draft him. :(

new england bastiges :(

jspchief
08-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Tune in next week for another Zen moment from Bill Belichick, Football Genius.

B_Ambuehl
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I really liked him to. I'd never heard of him before but watched him at the combine and thought he moved better then any other DB. After watching him the other night he moves even better then what I thought. A future pro bowler for the patriots

htismaqe
08-23-2005, 10:43 AM
hobbs looks good ... i wanted the chiefs to draft him. :(

new england bastiges :(

Having watched them both quite a bit in college, Hobbs was pretty much equivalent to Alphonso Hodge.

It will be interesting to see where they both go in the NFL.

StcChief
08-23-2005, 11:32 AM
They should know this. Hotdogging to go for the pick is why you end up not starting and maybe get released. (probably not Hobbs case).

This has to be fashioned play knowing you have backup Saftey and will work on only certain routes planned with the rest of the D after a first half or quarter timeout scenerio.

Coaches have to pickup on WR tendencies and plays to know when / how to execute it.