PDA

View Full Version : New article from Mrs. Dawes, aka Eileen Weir...

shaneo69
08-23-2005, 12:23 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/23/weir_message_not_madness/

You can't get this kind of in-depth football analysis at any other NFL team website...

With the news of two Kansas City Chiefs players’ arrest in a Minneapolis hotel, and the subsequent revelation of an incident involving a barroom altercation in River Falls, Chiefs fans and media ponder the perennial question of how team personnel should handle troubling situations involving contracted employees.

As a former member of the Chiefs Public Relations staff, I was often the first responder to calls from ticket holders outraged by reported incidents involving our players. Traditionally, the Chiefs have adopted a policy of patience. Throughout the years, statements from head coaches, the GM, and team spokespersons have articulated a course of action that includes gathering information, evaluating events, and, ultimately, allowing due process by the legal system. Chiefs fans should be familiar with the team’s characteristic approach. The resolute and deliberate style favored by the team has been displayed in everything from free agent deliberations to Marty Ball. A rush to judgment isn’t the Chiefs way.

The measured procedure is largely unsatisfying to media and fans alike, and the Chiefs are often perceived as lacking when it comes to doling out disciplinary action. I suppose a public flogging would be more to our liking. Though many may find the Chiefs to be soft on shameful behavior, I seriously doubt it. Just because team officials don’t publicize their internal dealings with player transgressions doesn’t mean they accept inappropriate, and sometimes criminal, conduct.

Football is nothing if not a game of pride. From Pop Warner to the pros, the lessons of responsibility are as prevalent as blocking drills and route running. Anyone who ever participated in organized sports at any level has heard the mantra. Be responsible to your teammates by being prepared, be in shape, know your assignments, and give your all. Accept the responsibility that comes with the privilege of wearing the uniform by conducting yourself with dignity and character on and off the field. Never forget you are representing yourself, your family, your team, and the city in which you play. It isn’t fear of consequences that causes players to obey the rules, it’s pride.

What a fearsome image it is for those who disgrace themselves and their team. A face-to-face with Carl Peterson or Coach Vermeil to explain yourself, and the locker room kangaroo court that’s crueler than a school yard, makes for repentant souls.

Trusting that Internal Affairs procedures adequately deal with embarrassing situations seems to provide cold comfort to today’s blood-thirsty fans. Essentially, the public, and to a large part the media, misunderstands the function of public relations. PR staffers work for the team, not the media. The primary role of the public relations office is to develop and sustain effective ways to coordinate the flow of information from the team to the public, via traditional media, team Web sites, speeches, and public appearances, to name a few. Additionally, PR personnel act as a liaison to the media on behalf of the team and serve to promote team initiatives by garnering public support.

Obligated to provide the public with truthful information, PR professionals continually balance what acquired facts and opinions the public has a right to know, and what is good for the organization. Clearly fans of a team have an interest in knowing about players’ off-field activities, and the media has a right, perhaps even a duty, to report it. But it doesn’t behoove the team to keep the story alive in the news. Often a compulsory response to a reporter’s inquiry is all that’s offered. Move on.

The business of public relations must be proactive in order to be effective and beneficial to the organization. A general misunderstanding is that PR pros wait for the media to tell them the news of the day. Not so. An experienced spokesperson clearly defines specific messages and communicates them repeatedly for positive effect. Consistency of content and tone ensures that messages maximize the agenda of the institution and that it reaches an identified target audience.

Not unlike other businesses, the Chiefs have a product to sell. They gain the trust of their consumer by being forthright and by displaying their product in a favorable light. Cynics may call this “spin” — a word that has gained the same kind of unflattering connotation as “propaganda” – but it is simply a legitimate marketing tool that is unquestioned and accepted in every other industry.

Consumers of the Chiefs product demand accountability. When minor and major infractions occur, fans want the indiscretions taken seriously and they want assurance of the team’s intolerance for behavior that embarrasses the player, the team, and the fan base. Because we as stakeholders in the team share in the humiliation of publicized legal run-ins, we frequently hold players to a higher degree of penalty, lobbying for fines, suspensions, and firings that would never be permitted or condoned in our own workplaces. Addressing the challenge of promoting a positive public image, respecting the civil rights of the accused, and satisfying the expectations of savvy supporters continues as the most difficult task of all employers.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Eileen Weir, a native of Binghamton, NY, is a graduate of Le Moyne College (Syracuse, NY) with a Bachelors of Arts degree in English Literature and Communications. A public relations assistant for the Chiefs beginning in 1992, Weir served as manager of public information and media services until 2000. Currently the society columnist for The Examiner newspaper, she writes a weekly column chronicling the social and civic events of Eastern Jackson County.

jspchief
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Does she pretend to not be on their payroll?

ptlyon
08-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Consumers of the Chiefs product demand accountability.

F@k accountability Bidge - I want a Superbowl in my lifetime.

shaneo69
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Does she pretend to not be on their payroll?

She's a society columnist for the Examiner.

Kinda like Gretz' real job is the sports dept manager at KCFX.

Taco John
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
This is amusing... Eric Warfield has three DUIs, plus he sucks at football, and he still has a job... I'm sure the Chiefs are cracking down hard.

Phobia
08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Are people still talking about those arrests from a couple weeks ago? Wow. Who cares? Let's play football. Let the attorneys do the lawyering.

Taco John
08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Trusting that Internal Affairs procedures adequately deal with embarrassing situations seems to provide cold comfort to today’s blood-thirsty fans.

You want to see blood-thirsty, Eileen? Wait until the fourth DUI, when Warfield kills someone. You'll get your blood thirsty.

Phobia
08-23-2005, 12:39 PM
You want to see blood-thirsty, Eileen? Wait until the fourth DUI, when Warfield kills someone. You'll get your blood thirsty.

You're the only one talking about Warfield. He's paying his debt and has apparently learned his lesson (this time). It doesn't excuse his behavior.

We're talking about the minor bar brawls from 2 weekends ago. Non-issue. Put it to bed.

Coach
08-23-2005, 12:40 PM
This is amusing... Eric Warfield has three DUIs, plus he sucks at football, and he still has a job... I'm sure the Chiefs are cracking down hard.

Hmm, Herndon is gone, yet Eric Warfield was better than him anyways. Of course, you just hope that it's not that shitloaf that played aganist Indianapolis during the playoff game.

shaneo69
08-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Nah, I'm sure Edub was scared straight after that third face-to-face with King Carl.

Taco John
08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Hmm, Herndon is gone, yet Eric Warfield was better than him anyways. Of course, you just hope that it's not that shitloaf that played aganist Indianapolis during the playoff game.

You mean the rookie who played his first start against Peyton Manning in a playoff game? I'm not sure what that has to do with the Chiefs organization being soft on players with poor character. But yeah, that rookie had a rough go of it.

Coach
08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
You mean the rookie who played his first start against Peyton Manning in a playoff game? I'm not sure what that has to do with the Chiefs organization being soft on players with poor character. But yeah, that rookie had a rough go of it.

Wasn't referring to the Chiefs organization being soft on players. Was reponding to your comments that EW sucks in football.

Taco John
08-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh, well... Don't you guys call him Burnfeild? Herndon never had a nickname like that. I'd play Herndon over Warfield every time. I'd also trust him to get my kid to school safely in a jam.

BigRedChief
08-23-2005, 12:50 PM
A former member of the public relations staff writes an article? Like its suppose to be journalism? Its more like a frigging treatise in a college course.

ptlyon
08-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Oh, well... Don't you guys call him Burnfeild? Herndon never had a nickname like that. I'd play Herndon over Warfield every time. I'd also trust him to get my kid to school safely in a jam.

That was Burntee.
I called him Horrorfield.

Get it right, n00b. :)

chiefz
08-23-2005, 01:10 PM

This coming from a guy that would also start Jake Plummer over Trent Green because he made it to the playoffs even though everyone with half a brain knows that the Jaguars would have been in that spot had the Colts not opted to rollover so they could get a good look at Denver and assrape them on a national stage the following game.

ptlyon
08-23-2005, 01:13 PM
This coming from a guy that would also start Jake Plummer over Trent Green because he made it to the playoffs even though everyone with half a brain knows that the Jaguars would have been in that spot had the Colts not opted to rollover so they could get a good look at Denver and assrape them on a national stage the following game.

Wow.

Bob Dole
08-23-2005, 01:16 PM
A former member of the public relations staff writes an article? Like its suppose to be journalism? Its more like a frigging treatise in a college course.

That, as the topic suggests, reads exactly like a Rufus Dawes column...

htismaqe
08-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Eileen Weir = Rufus Dawes

Taco John = colossal dumbass

J Diddy
08-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Eileen John=Rufus dumbass

beavis
08-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Most informative post of this thread. ROFL

chiefz
08-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Wow.

Thats exactly what I will say if Lenny Walls proves to be better at the number two corner position for the Donkeys than Warfield is with the Chiefs.

Of course if not they always have Roc Alexander, perhaps by now he has managed to remove Reggie Wayne's cock from his ass after last seasons playoff *cough* game.

Coach
08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Thats exactly what I will say if Lenny Walls proves to be better at the number two corner position for the Donkeys than Warfield is with the Chiefs.

Of course if not they always have Roc Alexander, perhaps by now he has managed to remove Reggie Wayne's cock from his ass after last seasons playoff *cough* game.

ROFL

Taco John
08-23-2005, 01:58 PM

Better than getting it from half the teams that visit your own home stadium...

Any way you slice it, we made the playoffs. You didn't.

BigRedChief
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Dat Tru smack. But its last years vintage. Ain't gonna happen this year.

chiefz
08-23-2005, 02:18 PM

Sure, KC lost some close ones to some shitty teams at the last minute but how many of those Denver wins came against good teams?

I know I would be bragging about a total joke of a playoff berth built around 9 legitimate wins (two against teams that weren't sub .500) and ultimately getting thrashed in the playoffs like you should have prior to going.

Then again, at least you made the playoffs right. :rolleyes:

Halfcan
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Blood thirsty fans?-wtf is that all about. That is twice in the last week that a so-called columnist for the Chiefs has made a slam on the fans. Gretz called us Red and Gold Crazies. Obviosly these two dipshits think they are well above the average Chiefs fan, or for that matter any Chiefs fan. What makes them so high and mighty to make the people that pay hard earned money to see the games out to be just drunk, unruley morons with comments like that. I don't know who this biatch is and don't care. I read about two sentences and about dozed off. Anything that comes from Chiefs.com is just biased bullshit-whether it is Gretz, dawes or this ho. I don't even log on to their site anymore.

If fans want to know the truth about the Chiefs they need to log onto the Planet. Most news stories are posted here from all over the country.

And that is my unpredigiously unresearched opinion-good day you bloodthirsty crazies.

Taco John
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Sure, KC lost ... to some shitty teams...

All the other stuff is just unecessary. You were a 13-3 team that got a tougher schedule and fell to a 7-9 team. And you gave it up at home more than GoChiefs sister with the folks at a Jehovah's Witness convention.

chiefz
08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
All the other stuff is just unecessary. You were a 13-3 team that got a tougher schedule and fell to a 7-9 team. And you gave it up at home more than GoChiefs sister with the folks at a Jehovah's Witness convention.

Oh, I see.

Its funny that you mention stuff like the tougher schedule considering half the teams that Kansas City beat last season were the "tougher ones" at least per record/strength of schedule that you seem to be facinated with.

I recall KC being one of the few teams to beat the Colts (first string team) that slaughtered Denver in that precious playoff berth you speak of.

Later in the season I remember KC embarrassing Denver as well, along with a record setting performance against Atlanta and beating Baltimore in their own house.

Hung up on the hype yet you seem to so easily forget the fact.