PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Gates agrees to six-year contract w/ Bolts

Electric Chair
08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Link (http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_detail.cfm?press_release_key=549)

Antonio Gates agrees to six-year contract

Tuesday, August 23, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chargers Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates has agreed to terms on a new six-year contract. Additional terms of the contract were not disclosed. Gates will sign the contract Tuesday afternoon.

Coach
08-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Good for them.

Now watch him fizzle.

shakesthecat
08-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Is Gates still going to miss the season opener?

If so, the Bolts front office should be more than a little embarassed.
This should have all been taken care of months ago.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Good for them.

Now watch him fizzle.
ROFL

One day they'll say... he's no Billy Baber....

TEX
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM

I heard it was the first 2 games. :hmmm:

shakesthecat
08-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I heard it was the first 2 games. :hmmm:

You could be right. I thought it was the final 2 pre season games, and the season opener.

Either way, not a very smart way to run a railroad.

Reaper16
08-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Gates still misses the last two pre-season games and the season opener against the Cowboys. Gates is eligible to play starting the second game.

Hopefully this means a game of seperation from the Chargers going into our week 2 division matchup with the Raiders.

philfree
08-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I think DJ can help neutralize this one year wonder when we play the Bolts.

PhilFree:arrow:

Electric Chair
08-23-2005, 02:08 PM

They have been negotiating since the middle of last season, but Gates and his agent refused to negotiate for anything less than "Gonzalez Money". They also only wanted a three year deal so that he could test unrestricted Free Agency ASAP.

The length of the deal says that there were certain things that were obviously given up by both parties.

Yes, he misses Dallas, but the Chargers should be able to handle the Cowboys without him.

Antonio is a solid kid with a good head on his shoulders. If he fizzles, it won't be because the contract made him lazy.

TRR
08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
I think DJ can help neutralize this one year wonder when we play the Bolts.

I think that's exactly what he is. A one year wonder. A guy that snuck through the cracks, and had a great first 11 weeks of the season. His playoff game was decent against NY, but once teams started gameplanning for him, his stats went down.

Maybe I am completely wrong about the guy, but I really think you'll see a big dip in stats this season.

jidar1
08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
There will be a dip I'm sure, but he will still be a top TE.

Funny he thinks he's worth Gonzalez money though, he's good but Tony G is one of the greatest ever.

philfree
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
There will be a dip I'm sure, but he will still be a top TE.

Funny he thinks he's worth Gonzalez money though, he's good but Tony G is one of the greatest ever.

And Gonzo didn't get Gonzo money till he was in the league for several years. He did get 1st round money but that's what he was a 1st rounder. Gates got UDFA money because that's what he was. Now taht he has performed well there's no doubt that he shoulda got a raise but demanding Gonzo type money is asking a little to much when if not for the Chargers, Gates might be washing dishes at a Gates.