PDA

View Full Version : Q&A w/Dick Vermeil (8/23)

TRR
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Aug 23, 2005, 4:37:52 PM

Q: To get all those familiar faces back on the field must have been gratifying. It must mean a lot to you.

DICK VERMEIL: “Oh yeah, plus we’ve got a lot of fresh bodies on defense, too. It was very, very nice to see all those guys working. It was good. It was a good explosive quick football practice. I think they were fresher, therefore, they were quicker. They were rested.”

Q: Kendrell Bell was out there on seven-on-seven but not in the 11-on-11.

VERMEIL: “Not quite ready yet. Getting closer.”

Q: How about Shields? Did it look like he lost a step?

VERMEIL: “Didn’t look like it to me. He was out there on a screen in front of everybody.”

Q: Is Dante Hall OK?

VERMEIL: “He’s got a sore knee, but he’s OK. The MRI says he OK, and he doesn’t even know when he got hit. Sometimes you don’t know. It’s nothing serious.”

Q: Are you going to rest him this week?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know. It just depends how he comes along.”

Q: Was it good to see Jonathan Quinn today?

VERMEIL: “He knows the offense. He was in it for three years and then was in it with (QB coach and former Bears offensive coordinator) Terry Shea. He’s a very handy guy to have, plus he lives in Kansas City. That makes it very nice.”

Q: What would be the plans for him? Will he get any playing time?

VERMEIL: “He may have to. I wouldn’t mind it.”

Q: Kilian would close out the game after Trent comes out?

VERMEIL: “Right now that would be the plan. We would have no choice unless Damon (Huard) is given clearance to go later in the week.”

Q: What would be the roster move to make room for Quinn?

CARL PETERSON: “It isn’t often that we want to talk about waiving a guy, but this guy deserves (recognition). It was Mike Maslowski. I’d like to begin this and end any speculation: we don’t think this is the end of Mike Maslowski’s career. It’s just a situation where he’s run out of time on PUP Active status. He had some more surgery done on that knee. They took out a plate and screws; both Dick and I saw it and it was pretty substantial. I don’t know how he moved around with that.

“We’re releasing Mike and he knows he could come back at any time with us and that’s why we put him on Active PUP at the beginning of training camp. That door is still open.

“Let me say this: since he joined us in 1999 he’s been an exemplary player on and off the field. I think everybody knows what he and (wife) Heidi have done in the community. He’s been honored by the President of the United States and Secretary of Labor for his off the field efforts. This is a guy that epitomizes what the National Football League is about. He came up from a Division III school, through the Arena League; we put him in the NFLEL. He was the defensive player of the year at Barcelona. He went to the World Championship of that league. He came here as a special teams player and ended up being a starter for us. Led this team and is the all time record holder in tackles in 2002.

“I think – and I think Dick would concur – that he’s been the heart and soul of the defense, particularly our run defense. We wanted to give him every opportunity to come back and that door is still open. Now he’s going to devote his full attention to rehabbing his leg completely. We wish him the best.”

tyton75
08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Officially starting to worry about Kendrell Bell and his health now!!

HemiEd
08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Sad about Maz, but it had to happen.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Q: Was it good to see Jonathan Quinn today?

VERMEIL: “He knows the offense. He was in it for three years and then was in it with (QB coach and former Bears offensive coordinator) Terry Shea. He’s a very handy guy to have, plus he lives in Kansas City. That makes it very nice.”

Q: What would be the plans for him? Will he get any playing time?

VERMEIL: “He may have to. I wouldn’t mind it.”

~ Huard sucks

Rick
08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Bell's situation is very scary. I know Fujita is on the bubble, but does he play that side or DJ's? Fujita played very well vs Arizona and Griffin did too, but Griffin was undrafted and has little experience. Barber won't be very good when he does come back, his knee injury was very bad- what do we do if Bell doesn't pan out?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-23-2005, 05:25 PM

ROFL Dick is freakin' teasing us. I'm not concerned, I can't wait to see him, and if it's not until the Jets game, that's fine with me.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Sad about Maz, but it had to happen.

Hopefully he makes it back

Chiefs Pantalones
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I hope Maz makes it back so he can waste a roster spot. I already miss him. hehe

tomahawk kid
08-23-2005, 05:30 PM

ROFL Dick is freakin' teasing us. I'm not concerned, I can't wait to see him, and if it's not until the Jets game, that's fine with me.

Ditto.

DJJasonp
08-23-2005, 05:49 PM
From the words of Bell....I'm really starting to believe the theory that Gunther is saving him till the regular season so teams wont have any idea what we're going to do with him.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
From the words of Bell....I'm really starting to believe the theory that Gunther is saving him till the regular season so teams wont have any idea what we're going to do with him.

Sounds like it to me.

the Talking Can
08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
and day #123456643097567886423 without contact for Bell....yea!

TRR
08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Bell wasn't slated to start full contact till middle of this week anyways.

CoMoChief
08-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Why would we do that? Bell needs to be on the field along with the new players. He needs to get with the chemistry and the scheme of this new defense. We don't need to hide him from anybody. It's not like the guy is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor or Mike Singletary. The guy is good but were all acting like he's Jesus on a football field. He needs to get out on the field and help out. I know it's only preseason, but this injury shit with him is starting to worry me. I don't feel comfortable at all with Griffin, Fox, or Fooj starting in his place. In no way does anyone sit someone out of contact drills and such as a precaution, unless it's a serious injury. Groin injuries and shoulder injuries in my opinion are like back injuries. They never go away. They always come back and nag at you, I would imagine that it is especially more for an NFL football player. Why would a coach try and hide him? Are teams really gonna be that confused when Bell lines up and plays football? I highly doubt it.

kcjayhawks5
08-23-2005, 06:19 PM
hey, we are doing with bell what the jets are doing to pennington. Now i dont know if a lot of you watched that preseason game with NY and MIN but chad penn. looked very good. The jets have been saying that he is at about 80% which is pure bull shit. He is realistically about 90-99.9%. He did ver very well int hat preseasn game and it looked like the arm was fine. Hell, he even overthrew a guy.

Kendrell is fine right now and the chiefs are just treating Bell like a new Christmas present. They are going to be very careful with him so that he does not get inured in a game that means jack crap. im sure a lot of you think of it like this but not too many have posted it. if you have any other info please post it.

TRR
08-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Why would we do that? Bell needs to be on the field along with the new players. He needs to get with the chemistry and the scheme of this new defense. We don't need to hide him from anybody. It's not like the guy is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor or Mike Singletary. The guy is good but were all acting like he's Jesus on a football field. He needs to get out on the field and help out. I know it's only preseason, but this injury shit with him is starting to worry me. I don't feel comfortable at all with Griffin, Fox, or Fooj starting in his place. In no way does anyone sit someone out of contact drills and such as a precaution, unless it's a serious injury. Groin injuries and shoulder injuries in my opinion are like back injuries. They never go away. They always come back and nag at you, I would imagine that it is especially more for an NFL football player. Why would a coach try and hide him? Are teams really gonna be that confused when Bell lines up and plays football? I highly doubt it.

FWIW, Bell hasn't missed a practice in Training Camp. Not a single one. The only thing he's missed is two meaningless Preseason games.

KCJake
08-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Good luck Maz! This guy gave 100% on every down.
:clap:

the Talking Can
08-23-2005, 06:22 PM
apparently our secret plan is to take a player who has had NO full speed contact for almost a year and line him up on opening day in a defensive scheme he's never played in with players he's never played with....that's geenyus (chiefsplanet spelling)....

kcjayhawks5
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
ok how ****ing stupid would the coaches feel if he got hurt in a preseason game. I guarantee that every single one of you ****ers who want him to play in preseason games would be pissed as shit if he got hurt and had to miss the first game or more.

the Talking Can
08-23-2005, 06:27 PM
ok how ****ing stupid would the coaches feel if he got hurt in a preseason game. I guarantee that every single one of you ****ers who want him to play in preseason games would be pissed as shit if he got hurt and had to miss the first game or more.

so that's why he can't practice full contact either?

how pissed would you be if Trent or Gonzo got hurt in a preseason game?

Or Roaf?

Or T-Rich?

Or Kennison?

Or Dalton?

Or LJ?

Or etc.....

kcjayhawks5
08-23-2005, 06:38 PM
thats beside the point. and by the way the only one that i would care about would be trent green. they dont need to rush KB back. Thats what got him even more hurt last year, when he tried to come back too soon and reinjured his groin or hamstring or whatever. im just saying that we would be idiots to rush him in to playing pre season games that mean nothing.

bringbackmarty
08-23-2005, 06:49 PM
did anybody see the plays where dj had his hand on the ground sat night? That's what gunther's plan is for bell.

Chiefnj
08-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Ty Law is further ahead of Bell at this point. Kind of funny.

TRR
08-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Ty Law is further ahead of Bell at this point. Kind of funny.

How do you figure? Kendrell Bell has been practicing with KC for the last several months, and has been working two-a-days. Neither Law or Bell has played in a Preseason game.

Chiefnj
08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
How do you figure? Kendrell Bell has been practicing with KC for the last several months, and has been working two-a-days. Neither Law or Bell has played in a Preseason game.

Law is supposed to play Friday. Bell, although he has been practicing, hasn't practiced 100% yet - no full contact. We'll see who actually plays the third or fourth game. At this point I think Law will actually end up playing in more regular season games than Bell.

AirForceChief
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
....that's geenyus (chiefsplanet spelling)....

Talking Can: That is NOT CP Mis-spelling!!

go bowe
08-23-2005, 08:41 PM
yeah, everybody knows it genious...

TEX
08-23-2005, 09:54 PM
apparently our secret plan is to take a player who has had NO full speed contact for almost a year and line him up on opening day in a defensive scheme he's never played in with players he's never played with....that's geenyus (chiefsplanet spelling)....

:clap: ROFL Sad but true.

TEX
08-23-2005, 09:55 PM
FWIW, Bell hasn't missed a practice in Training Camp. Not a single one. The only thing he's missed is two meaningless Preseason games.

And how many 11 on 11 drills has he missed? :hmmm:

the Talking Can
08-23-2005, 09:59 PM

all of them

jspchief
08-23-2005, 10:28 PM
We're saving our secret weapons Kendrell Bell and Kris Wilson for the Superbowl. Our opponent won't know what to do when those two walk onto the field February 12th.

If we don't make the Superbowl this year, we'll save them until the 2006 Superbowl.

It make take a while, but sometime in the next few decades, we are going to totally catch some team off guard with our amazing LB and H-back.

J Diddy
08-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Good luck Maz! This guy gave 100% on every down.
:clap:

I agree.

Bye Maz.

TRR
08-23-2005, 11:23 PM

Not many. He practiced in 11 on 11 all week I was in River Falls.

TRR
08-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Law is supposed to play Friday. Bell, although he has been practicing, hasn't practiced 100% yet - no full contact. We'll see who actually plays the third or fourth game. At this point I think Law will actually end up playing in more regular season games than Bell.

Bell is scheduled to play in Saturday's game with full contact tomorrow or Thursday.

CoMoChief
08-23-2005, 11:29 PM

Bell hasnt really practiced. He's just been in drills and such. I dont remember hearing anything about Bell being in the 11-11 drills.

HemiEd
08-24-2005, 03:38 AM
Bell hasnt really practiced. He's just been in drills and such. I dont remember hearing anything about Bell being in the 11-11 drills.

Two posts above your's, post 33, TRR said he witnessed him practicing 11 on 11 drills. :hmmm:

Wallcrawler
08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Why would we do that? Bell needs to be on the field along with the new players. He needs to get with the chemistry and the scheme of this new defense.

You learn the scheme in practice. From what all eyewitness accounts say, Bell looks damn good in the scheme, knows what he is doing, and is almost always in position to make a play.

We don't need to hide him from anybody. It's not like the guy is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor or Mike Singletary.

The hiding is speculation. I dont think the Chiefs are hiding him, but you only need an ounce of common sense to figure out that if youve got a guy with injury questions around him, you dont put him in a meaningless football game. If Bell were to get injured in a pre-season game, the fanbase of the Chiefs would want the coaching staff's blood for putting Bell in there in a meaningless game, and losing one of our best FA pickups.

The guy is good but were all acting like he's Jesus on a football field.

Uh, no, we really arent. Quite the opposite in fact. If we were acting like he was Jesus on a football field, he would be playing every down in every game, meaningless or not, because if we're acting like he is the son of God, why would be be afraid of any injury or nagging ailments?

Use your head here man.

He needs to get out on the field and help out.

Help out with what? A meaningless pre-season record?

I know it's only preseason, but this injury shit with him is starting to worry me. I don't feel comfortable at all with Griffin, Fox, or Fooj starting in his place.

Well, youre not on the coaching staff, nor are you calling the shots. So it really doesnt matter what you feel comfortable with, or what you dont.

In no way does anyone sit someone out of contact drills and such as a precaution, unless it's a serious injury. Groin injuries and shoulder injuries in my opinion are like back injuries.

Stop reading information from profootballtalk.com. You will sleep much better at night.

They never go away.

Eerily similar to topics like this that have one of our best FA pickups on IR before he ever plays a down or misses a practice. Did Tex put you up to this post?

They always come back and nag at you, I would imagine that it is especially more for an NFL football player. Why would a coach try and hide him? Are teams really gonna be that confused when Bell lines up and plays football? I highly doubt it.

Ok, mastermind. Tell me how you think that the Jets defensive coordinator is going to gameplan for Kendrell Bell in the opener.

How is he going to do it? Look at Steelers film? Thats an entirely different scheme.

Yeah, Bell not playing in pre-season poses a problem for the Jets, especially if Bell ends up not playing in any pre-season games. If we as Chiefs fans dont even know what Bell is going to be doing for our team, how the hell are the Jets supposed to know and then draw up a gameplan to neutralize him?

Id love to know how you would gameplan against a guy you havent seen play for a new team.

jidar1
08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
That whole saving people for the regular season argument is complete homer BS. It's not like we really show too much in preseason anyway, and it's not like everyone wouldn't see everything in the first game.

The truth is we don't even know if we have anything that needs hiding until we get him out there on the field. Right now we assume he's going to be good but the road is litered with players people thought were going to be good.

Bell being held out is something that concerns me. Does it mean he's going to miss the first game? Probably not if we believe the front office. But you have to be concerned.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 08:30 AM
Anyone that thinks we're keeping Bell out of games to hide what we do with him is a fool.

If we wanted to hide our super secret weapon, why wouldn't we just not use him that way. He could still be in games, playing a normal OLB role, building chemistry and getting acclimated to the speed and contact. Besides, how long are we going to keep him secret? After the first game, every team will have film on him. So we're going to let him skip all full speed, full contact work so that we can suprise one team? Give me a break.

The notion that he isn't missing out by missing these games is stupid too. If these games are so meaningless, why do we play guys that are infinitely more important to this team than Bell is? There's a reason we play these pre-season games, and Bell missing a bunch of them is more likely to be bad than good.

Clearly there is something wrong with him. And regardless of his past, it only makes sense to be concerned about a player that has missed the entire pre-season so far.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
AIf these games are so meaningless, why do we play guys that are infinitely more important to this team than Bell is? There's a reason we play these pre-season games, and Bell missing a bunch of them is more likely to be bad than good.

Yeah, that explains why 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players play more than the starters...

The reason for the games, first and foremost, is for owner profit and second for the coaches to evaluate young/new talent.

stevieray
08-24-2005, 08:34 AM
My biggest fear is he's turned into Dan Williams.

Knows he's not healthy, and just ripping off the team for money while he can.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah, that explains why 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players play more than the starters...

The reason for the games, first and foremost, is for owner profit and second for the coaches to evaluate young/new talent.So why Does Trent Green play at all? Or Tony Gonzalez? Or any of our other stars that have proven their value to this team?

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:36 AM
So why Does Trent Green play at all? Or Tony Gonzalez? Or any of our other stars that have proven their value to this team?

Did Tony play in the AZ game?

jspchief
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Did Tony play in the AZ game?No.

Are you going to answer the question or keep dodging it?

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:40 AM
No.

Are you going to answer the question or keep dodging it?

I believe I just did. Twice in fact. I find preseason games worthless, but please dont let me stand in the way of a good rant.

ROYC75
08-24-2005, 08:40 AM
The first thing we fans do is fear the worst when something doesn't seem right.........

Maybe they are just keeping him out..... but that seems silly to me. He needs to play, he needs contact to get back into the groove, mesh with his teamates on D.

FTR, this doesn't seem right.

Chiefnj
08-24-2005, 08:41 AM
The reason for the games, first and foremost, is for owner profit and second for the coaches to evaluate young/new talent.

Evaluate new talent, like Bell?

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Evaluate new talent, like Bell?

No, you might want to read the post I quoted and then my response. Im of the opinion that it's not necessary for Bell to play.

ROYC75
08-24-2005, 08:46 AM
No, you might want to read the post I quoted and then my response. Im of the opinion that it's not necessary for Bell to play.

So what you are saying is he doesn't need any full contact, TC or preseason ? That he doesn't need to be on the field under live games to mesh with his defensive unit ?

jspchief
08-24-2005, 08:46 AM
I believe I just did. Twice in fact. I find preseason games worthless, but please dont let me stand in the way of a good rant.Where did you answer why we play Trent Green? I missed it.

Why do we need to evaluate Trent Green and Tony Gonzalez, but not Bell?

stevieray
08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
If they are being that cautious, they must have a reason. If he can't handle contact now, what's going to change?

Watch him get hurt in the first game he plays in... :mad:

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Where did you answer why we play Trent Green? I missed it.

Why do we need to evaluate Trent Green and Tony Gonzalez, but not Bell?

For a QB a little different, it helps them get timing at real speed. I dont think they 'evaluate' Green or Tony. They're giving them a few reps and then take them out, typically.

Did Preseason games change since last year or something...I didnt think this was new or revolutionary.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:50 AM
So what you are saying is he doesn't need any full contact, TC or preseason ? That he doesn't need to be on the field under live games to mesh with his defensive unit ?

nope, but nice spin. :thumb:

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 08:53 AM
The first thing we fans do is fear the worst when something doesn't seem right.........

Maybe they are just keeping him out..... but that seems silly to me. He needs to play, he needs contact to get back into the groove, mesh with his teamates on D.

FTR, this doesn't seem right.

Word is that Bell is getting very antsy and really wants to play. This is 100% the coaching staff...

jspchief
08-24-2005, 08:56 AM
For a QB a little different, it helps them get timing at real speed. I dont think they 'evaluate' Green or Tony. They're giving them a few reps and then take them out, typically.

Did Preseason games change since last year or something...I didnt think this was new or revolutionary.My point is, if these games are so meaningless, and Bell will be fine without playing in them, then why do we risk every other starter on the team?

I just think that argument is ridiculous. If players don't gain anything from playing in them, why do we risk any of our starters? Obviously, the coaches think there is some worth to getting all of our players at least some gametime.

All of the people saying "Bell is fine, we just don't want to waste him on a preseason game" don't have a legitimate reason why Bell doesn't need the snaps and every other starter on out team does. It's just a senseless argument.

And for the record, Green will likely play more snaps than all of our other QBs combined in this week's pre-season game.

Chiefnj
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM

Did Preseason games change since last year or something...I didnt think this was new or revolutionary.

Do you see a difference between holding out veterans who have proven they are familiar with a particular system and holding out a newly acquired player who has never played professional ball in a similar system?

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Do you see a difference between holding out veterans who have proven they are familiar with a particular system and holding out a newly acquired player who has never played professional ball in a similar system?

nope.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 09:01 AM
nope.Translation: I'm getting owned in this discussion. I don't have any legitimate points.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 09:01 AM
My point is, if these games are so meaningless, and Bell will be fine without playing in them, then why do we risk every other starter on the team?

I just think that argument is ridiculous. If players don't gain anything from playing in them, why do we risk any of our starters? Obviously, the coaches think there is some worth to getting all of our players at least some gametime.

All of the people saying "Bell is fine, we just don't want to waste him on a preseason game" don't have a legitimate reason why Bell doesn't need the snaps and every other starter on out team does. It's just a senseless argument.

And for the record, Green will likely play more snaps than all of our other QBs combined in this week's pre-season game.

Sure, they like to get them reps, but the biggest reason for the games are for owner profit and evaluation of young talent.

Im not sure what argument you think Im making other than preseason games are a waste of time. The fact that Bell is being held out doesnt lead me to panic.

Yes, the 3rd game is usually called the 'dress rehearsal' game so the first team will get the most reps. Then wont play in the final game--wonder why that is? Hmmmm...

philfree
08-24-2005, 09:02 AM
IMO the deal with Bell is that he has arthritis in his shoulder.
"Arthritis"! It ain't gonna go away! Bell can play with it but as soon as his shoulder starts taking the pounding it's gonna hurt some and it's probably gonna stay agitated all year. Bell will be able to play on Sundays but Mon through Sat he will practice like he has been during the offseason with no contact and then when game time rolls around he'll be turned loose again.

PhilFree:arrow:

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Translation: I'm getting owned in this discussion. I don't have any legitimate points.

LOL...Is this the part where we start hurling homosexual references now, because that's a lot of fun.

ROYC75
08-24-2005, 09:03 AM
nope, but nice spin. :thumb:

Damn, didn't spin anything, I asked 2 questions, I wasn't sure of what you were saying, so I asked.
:rolleyes:

So if you care to answer, enlighten us, you left your remarks unclear .

Rukdafaidas
08-24-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree with Titus (did I just say that). QB is a lot different position than LB. QB's and WR's have to be in rhythm with each other at game speed.
LB's just need to know their assignments. Bell isn't a rookie, he's just new to this scheme. He can learn the scheme by reading the playbook and practicing 3/4 speed. Believe me when I say Bell isn't going to dodge taking on a guy in full contact. This guy is nasty mean and is probably frothing at the mouth waiting to nail someone. We haven't had a blood thirsty guy like this on our team since..........I don't remember when.
I think he'll end up being our defensive MVP.
I do think, however, he does have a minor injury that the Chiefs don't want to take a chance on being aggravated, in a meaningless game. I do also think that Gun has something in mind for Bell that they won't show in preseason. I'm sure they have a lot of different blitz packages planned for him.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 09:08 AM
So if you care to answer, enlighten us, you left your remarks unclear .

Sorry...

jspchief seems to think that it's incumbent that Bell play in these games because Green and Tony play in the same games and if they play, he should play and his absence is a sign that there is 'real' trouble with Bell's health.

I say nonsense...preseason isnt that important.

Rukdafaidas
08-24-2005, 09:14 AM
I say nonsense...preseason isnt that important for 5th year LB's .
I fixed your statement.

ROYC75
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I can see pros and cons on both sides, playing builds team continuity, wether it be either side of the ball. If the starters don't play in preseason game and come out of the gate slow when the season starts, it can be hard to live with.

Playing starters and having a season ending injury is hardening .

You are damned if you do and damned if ya don't.

Inspector
08-24-2005, 09:17 AM

If he really was Jesus on the football field, I would see if he could be a dependable kicker.

Heck, guaranteed 75 yd field goals. That'd be cool.

milkman
08-24-2005, 09:21 AM
If he really was Jesus on the football field, I would see if he could be a dependable kicker.

Heck, guaranteed 75 yd field goals. That'd be cool.

Those kind of expectations would be a difficult cross to bear, don't ya think?

Inspector
08-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Those kind of expectations would be a difficult cross to bear, don't ya think?
ROFL ROFL

jspchief
08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Sorry...

jspchief seems to think that it's incumbent that Bell play in these games because Green and Tony play in the same games and if they play, he should play and his absence is a sign that there is 'real' trouble with Bell's health.

Pretty much.

I think the notion that he doesn't need this gametime experience is wrong. The fact that we "risk" our other starters in these "meaningless" games supports my opinion. We have guys that have a much better grasp of the scheme, and are much more valueable to the team, and the coaches still think they need the snaps. It appears every coach in the NFL agrees.

The fact that Bell has barely played a snap in the last year, combined with him playing a new position, on a new team, with a different scheme, just adds to it.

Do I think it means Bell's career must be over? No. But I do find it disturbing coming from a guy that has just sat out the majority of last season, and was supposed to be 100% coming into KC.

If he's sitting out, it's because he's injured. Not because we're hiding his super powers. Not because "these games are meaningless".

If he's so fragile that he can't play 1 quarter of pre-season ball, why should I believe he'll be fine when the games "matter"?

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I think the notion that he doesn't need this gametime experience is wrong. The fact that we "risk" our other starters in these "meaningless" games supports my opinion. We have guys that have a much better grasp of the scheme, and are much more valueable to the team, and the coaches still think they need the snaps. It appears every coach in the NFL agrees.

Many starters on many teams skip preseason games. Most coaches would like to see fewer preseason games...I think that underscores just what they think of them moreso than the fact that they give a few reps to the first team in each of them.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
I think Bell has lost his burst...

Lzen
08-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Word is that Bell is getting very antsy and really wants to play. This is 100% the coaching staff...

What word? Where did you hear this? And you still didn't answer my question about Fujita.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Bell is fine, you heard it here first, he'll cause an earthquake opening day. It will wake babies.

Lzen
08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I can see pros and cons on both sides, playing builds team continuity, wether it be either side of the ball. If the starters don't play in preseason game and come out of the gate slow when the season starts, it can be hard to live with.

Playing starters and having a season ending injury is hardening .

You are damned if you do and damned if ya don't.

Well said, Roy. :thumb:

Chiefnj
08-24-2005, 10:24 AM

According to Vermeil it is the medical staff that is holding him back, not the coaches.

Lzen
08-24-2005, 10:30 AM
What word? Where did you hear this? And you still didn't answer my question about Fujita.

Correction, Parker did answer about Fujita. It was another thread. My bad. ;)

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 10:34 AM
According to Vermeil it is the medical staff that is holding him back, not the coaches.

Yeah, let me rephrase:

Bell really wants to get on the field but the coaches are holding him out at the advice of team physicians.

To answer Lzen's question "the word" is coming from guys like Holthus...Bell is starting to seem perturbed that he's not being allowed to do more...

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Why would we do that? Bell needs to be on the field along with the new players. He needs to get with the chemistry and the scheme of this new defense. We don't need to hide him from anybody. It's not like the guy is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor or Mike Singletary. The guy is good but were all acting like he's Jesus on a football field. He needs to get out on the field and help out. I know it's only preseason, but this injury shit with him is starting to worry me. I don't feel comfortable at all with Griffin, Fox, or Fooj starting in his place. In no way does anyone sit someone out of contact drills and such as a precaution, unless it's a serious injury. Groin injuries and shoulder injuries in my opinion are like back injuries. They never go away. They always come back and nag at you, I would imagine that it is especially more for an NFL football player. Why would a coach try and hide him? Are teams really gonna be that confused when Bell lines up and plays football? I highly doubt it.Excellent point. Like that Bitch Payton Manning is gonna be confused, scared, or surprised of anything. :shake:

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:14 AM
apparently our secret plan is to take a player who has had NO full speed contact for almost a year and line him up on opening day in a defensive scheme he's never played in with players he's never played with....that's geenyus (chiefsplanet spelling)....I would rank that one right up there with "Its all GRob's fault"

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Ty Law is further ahead of Bell at this point. Kind of funny.Carl Peterson is only willing to risk money on ONE comeback from injury player.

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
yeah, everybody knows it genious...I like Jeanieus.

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
We're saving our secret weapons Kendrell Bell and Kris Wilson for the Superbowl. Our opponent won't know what to do when those two walk onto the field February 12th.

If we don't make the Superbowl this year, we'll save them until the 2006 Superbowl.

It make take a while, but sometime in the next few decades, we are going to totally catch some team off guard with our amazing LB and H-back.Priest Holmes is going to get us there, then we are going to bring in Larry, the Atomic Bomb, Johnson to win us the Super Bowl.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-24-2005, 11:23 AM

you would think the Star would do a piece on Bell with a sports physician's, or twos, thoughts on the matter. Then maybe it would cut into Whitlock's B A Homer bit

milkman
08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Excellent point. Like that Bitch Payton Manning is gonna be confused, scared, or surprised of anything. :shake:

He may not be confused or surprised, but when Bell lines up and blitzes, and gets in Peyton's grill, you damn well know his ass will be scared.

That, IMO, is what separates Manning from the great QBs.

He doesn't get pressure often, but when he does, he plays scared.

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I think Bell has lost his burst...I disagree, it is his SECOND level burst that he has lost, care to debate?

Chiefnj
08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
you would think the Star would do a piece on Bell with a sports physician's, or twos, thoughts on the matter. Then maybe it would cut into Whitlock's B A Homer bit

Those who examined him can't speak about it under patient/dr confidentiality and those who haven't examined him would only be guessing at what the ailment might be, assuming there is an ailment.

Calcountry
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
He may not be confused or surprised, but when Bell lines up and blitzes, and gets in Peyton's grill, you damn well know his ass will be scared.

That, IMO, is what separates Manning from the great QBs.

He doesn't get pressure often, but when he does, he plays scared.Seriously, I was considering leaving the "scared" part out of the post, but decided to put it in to add to the style of the post. Heck, at least it generated a reply, lmao.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Those who examined him can't speak about it under patient/dr confidentiality and those who haven't examined him would only be guessing at what the ailment might be, assuming there is an ailment.

finding someone willing to give an opinion would sell a paper or two