PDA

View Full Version : College Sports: Division I Stipends for Athletes?

The Pedestrian
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Should they pay the athletes or not?

Miles
08-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I havent exactly given much thought on this but a small stipend that gives them a little more to live off of seems reasonable.

Garcia Bronco
08-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I voted no...because they're getting a free education and it's priceless.

The Pedestrian
08-23-2005, 10:51 PM
I voted no...because they're getting a free education and it's priceless.

But between classes, practice, and games; how do they earn enough to live off of? The scholarships don't cover everything.

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-24-2005, 04:23 AM
But between classes, practice, and games; how do they earn enough to live off of? The scholarships don't cover everything.

Let them take out student loans like everyone else.

Simplex3
08-24-2005, 04:34 AM
I'm all for it. The way I figure it any money spent on the players is bribe money not sent the the NCAA headquarters.

Simplex3
08-24-2005, 04:34 AM
Does "everyone else" bring millions of dollars of revenue to the school every year?

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm torn on the issue. They make the school shitloads of money. The only way they can get spending money to spend on things other than food/books/etc is to either:

A) Get a job (nearly impossible for a football player to get time for)
B) Accept money from coaches/boosters (heh)
C) Ask mom and dad for money, which they might or might not have.

DaKCMan AP
08-24-2005, 06:43 AM
They already get a free education, food, housing, academic tutors.

They also (at least at Florida) may get "opportunity money" from the head coach which is a small amount of money every now and then which is allowed by the NCAA.

DeepSouth
08-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Does "everyone else" bring millions of dollars of revenue to the school every year?
This is why I voted "Yes".

RufusRJones
08-24-2005, 07:57 AM
A college education with room and board is running around $160,000 at some schools these days. That seems like a pretty good payout to me. The non-athlete kids that are paying that back in the form of student loans for the next 30 years sure would see that as a pretty major bonus.

donkhater
08-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Nope, they already get a free ride. Rep to Rufus.

broncoholic
08-24-2005, 09:33 AM
These kids aren't ALLOWED to have jobs...(Goes back to the kids getting a hundred bucks an hour to watch the feild grass grow in the 70's) Think of some kid from the projects who gets a scholarship to Georgetown. Here he is with a scholarship yes, but without any other money.....even take a chick to a movie on Saturday Night
No wonder these kids take money from boosters/agents/bookies.
I think a hundred a month for incidentals would be enough to keep these kid from the lure of easy money from corruptive sources.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 09:51 AM
These kids aren't ALLOWED to have jobs...(Goes back to the kids getting a hundred bucks an hour to watch the feild grass grow in the 70's) Think of some kid from the projects who gets a scholarship to Georgetown. Here he is with a scholarship yes, but without any other money.....even take a chick to a movie on Saturday Night
No wonder these kids take money from boosters/agents/bookies.
I think a hundred a month for incidentals would be enough to keep these kid from the lure of easy money from corruptive sources.
Exactly. They can't get a job to make Money, like traditional college students do. Funny how everyone ignores that fact.

Iowanian
08-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Hell no.

I just finished paying off my college loans.
They're already getting a free, or greatly discounted education which already gives them a 10 year Car-truck-housepayment break over those of us who paid our own way.

Its not like there isn't usually a houseing and food allowance, or pell grant et al, that put spending money in their pocket.

Its not the tax payer responsibility to keep the team in new "fly gear" on saturday night. They have the option to get student loans to live on, just like the rest of us. Tax payers already fund their education. They're already given preferential treatment on entrance scores et al...

Its too bad more athletes don't use it to prepare for a career.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Hell no.

I just finished paying off my college loans.
They're already getting a free, or greatly discounted education which already gives them a 10 year Car-truck-housepayment break over those of us who paid our own way.

Its not like there isn't usually a houseing and food allowance, or pell grant et al, that put spending money in their pocket.

Its not the tax payer responsibility to keep the team in new "fly gear" on saturday night. They have the option to get student loans to live on, just like the rest of us. Tax payers already fund their education. They're already given preferential treatment on entrance scores et al...

Its too bad more athletes don't use it to prepare for a career.
No tax or public funds are used for athletic scholarships.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 02:47 PM
I should probably say "in most cases". I'm not exactly sure on that. The athletic department though is almost an entity seperate from the school. Its there to make money. I feel if the athletes are making the school money, they should receive a small stipend to help make ends meet. They don't have the opportunity to work and earn money like most college students do.

FWIW, if they do implement some sort of stipend rule, the NCAA should force ALL conferences to accept it. If one school paid stipends and another didn't, that could be used as a recruiting tool...and that would be unfair.

Simplex3
08-24-2005, 03:00 PM
FWIW, if they do implement some sort of stipend rule, the NCAA should force ALL conferences to accept it. If one school paid stipends and another didn't, that could be used as a recruiting tool...and that would be unfair.
Why? Some schools have higher academic standards than others, should the NCAA regulate those down so that it's fair for recruiting?

Now there will need to be a cap on what you can give out or it'll be waaaaay out of control in no time, but beyond a cap on how much per player and how much total per team (so FL or someone doesn't have a 900 man squad) I say leave it open.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Why? Some schools have higher academic standards than others, should the NCAA regulate those down so that it's fair for recruiting?

Good point.

The Pedestrian
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM

But take this into consideration:
The argument against giving college athletes money is, "Yeah, but they're already getting a four-year scholarship." Wrong. Athletic scholarships are renewable one-year deals. I've known coaches who have chased kids off their teams so they could use that scholarship for another player that might help the coach keep his job. In addition, time demands on the athlete makes it nearly impossible to graduate within the 4 years of your scholarship. So, after helping generate millions for your school, it's adios and you're on your own. This is not only wrong, it's immoral. The student/athlete is a misnomer. The term student/athlete/entertainer is more appropriate. (http://www.sportsbyline.com/roncomm/roncom7.htm)

Can that one-year scholarship pulling these kids in make up for the millions they help rake in if the coach decides to run them off for someone else?

Iowanian
08-24-2005, 04:22 PM

I'd be curious to know where state institutions get their funds.

If its all from Tuition.....Should Sauldo Jr's tuition raise $10/credit hr to keep the QB in new FUBU?

They already have access to Free Tutors that Joe Student doesn't....Free housing, free tuition, free books, free cafeteria, free medical treatment-training facilities..............

There are alot of dirt poor kids in college, struggling through without ANY of that assistance.

KCChiefsMan
08-24-2005, 04:28 PM
no, because the schools pay their tuition, lodging and most likely food. If schools gave each student athlete a monthly/yearly/whatever stipend than all of the good athletes would flock to schools that could afford them

now if people want to give them money just because, or if a company wants to endorse them then I really don't see the harm in that, but only the top athletes in the country would get that, so it may not seem fair to the others, but life is not fair.

The rule is if you use your athletic fame to get money than that makes you a professional in that sport. I don't think the schools should pay, but if other people/companies want to than why the hell not?

Either way, in the next 10-20 years it WILL happen

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 04:30 PM
If schools gave each student athlete a monthly/yearly/whatever stipend than all of the good athletes would flock to schools that could afford them
Um...that already happens.

The Pedestrian
08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Um...that already happens.

Are you meaning the stipends? Last time I checked, the NCAA banned them for athletes.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
I'd be curious to know where state institutions get their funds.

If its all from Tuition.....Should Sauldo Jr's tuition raise $10/credit hr to keep the QB in new FUBU?

They already have access to Free Tutors that Joe Student doesn't....Free housing, free tuition, free books, free cafeteria, free medical treatment-training facilities..............

There are alot of dirt poor kids in college, struggling through without ANY of that assistance.
They don't get any of that assistance because they are not gifted, be it athetically, academically, or otherwise.

Most if not all of the $$$ for athletic scholarships comes from the revenue that the schools athletic dept produces, plus from private donors.

The Pedestrian
no, because the schools pay their tuition, lodging and most likely food.

Food isn't normally paid by the college/university.

Saulbadguy
Are you meaning the stipends? Last time I checked, the NCAA banned them for athletes.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Superior athletes DO flock to the schools that have the most money.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, it is.

The Pedestrian
08-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, it is.

Link..?

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Link..?
Its common sense.

Bearcat
08-24-2005, 04:57 PM

"Normally" it's not... it's part of room/board. If you get a full ride though, the school pays for tuition and room/board.

The school's athletic program is preparing a star athlete (the ones who bring in the money) for a career in that sport. IMO, along with a free education, that's more than enough compensation.