PDA

View Full Version : Top pick Smith loses starting quarterback job with 49ers

C-Mac
08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - Top draft pick Alex Smith has lost the San Francisco 49ers' starting quarterback job to veteran Tim Rattay.

"The experience he (Rattay) has is probably the biggest thing to me," coach Mike Nolan said.

Smith, the number one overall pick in the NFL draft, was given the chance to lead the 49ers in preseason but struggled against the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos.

He completed only five of 16 passes for 43 yards and no touchdowns while Rattay, in the same games, threw for three touchdowns and completed 13 of 19 passes for 194 yards.

Rattay will start the final two exhibition games, Nolan said.

Smith agreed a six-year, $49.5 million deal with the 49ers in July, the richest contract ever for an NFL rookie. He skipped his senior year at the Universityof Utah to enter April's draft.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Tough not to make that change I guess considering their numbers but it just seems like it will put off "the future" of the team even longer.

Watch Rattay have an MVP season now.

Bowser
08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
This is probably the best move for Smith in the long run. Name the last rookie not named Peyton to come into the league and light it up.

Rattay is just keeping the seat warm until Smith is ready to go.

Donger
08-24-2005, 09:55 AM
This is probably the best move for Smith in the long run. Name the last rookie not named Peyton to come into the league and light it up.

Wasn't that Ben Roethlisberger guy a rookie?

Cormac
08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I never thought Smith was worth the first pick in the draft, although there weren't very many standout guys. Derrick Johnson is probably as good as any of them :D

Bowser

Heh heh. As soon as I hit "submit Reply", his name popped into my head.

Let me just say I think it is not a bad thing to have a rookie QB sit and learn for a year or two.

jiveturkey
Wasn't that Ben Roethlisberger guy a rookie?Boo Yaa!

jiveturkey
08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Rattay is just keeping the seat warm until Smith is ready to go.Tell that to Phillip Rivers.

milkman
08-24-2005, 09:58 AM

Peyton didn't light it up.
He just wasn't horrible.

chagrin
08-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Smith should sit his first year anyway, let Rattay start under Nolan's system this year and I bet he will have a very solid year, stats wise. doesn't mean the team will go to the playoffs though, obviously.
the Colts knew what they were getting and their system was built for Peyton. The 69ers are in a state of constant change it seems, so no wonder Rattay hasn't been able to settle down yet. His last coach sucked ass and nobody knows what Nolan's going to be like either.

milkman
08-24-2005, 10:00 AM

He also didn't light it up.

He wasn't really asked to do a whole lot.

He didn't screw up, and he managed the game pretty well.

The last rookie to really "light it up" was Marino.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
He just wasn't horrible.
Didn't he throw like, 30 interceptions?

Bowser
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Boo Yaa!

Bowser
08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
He just wasn't horrible.

He threw alot of picks his first year, but he still threw for nearly 4,000 yards. That could be argued as having an impact as a rookie.

milkman
08-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Didn't he throw like, 30 interceptions?

Bowser
08-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Tell that to Phillip Rivers.

The 49ers can only hope Rattay pulls a Drew Brees.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 10:06 AM
He also didn't light it up.

He wasn't really asked to do a whole lot.

He didn't screw up, and he managed the game pretty well.

Yep. We're talking about an offensive scheme that took Neil O'Donnel to the Superbowl, and made Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox look good.

IMO, the benching of Smith is just a glaring example of why they need a rookie pay scale. 49 million for a guy that sits on the bench? No thanks. I hope the Chiefs never get a draft pick in the top ten.

milkman
08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
He threw alot of picks his first year, but he still threw for nearly 4,000 yards. That could be argued as having an impact as a rookie.

3700 yards, which is why he wasn't "horrible".

And the Colts only won 3 games (I looked up Peyton's stats, but not the Colts record, so thi could be wrong), so I don't know how much of an "impact" that is.

Bowser
Yep. We're talking about an offensive scheme that took Neil O'Donnel to the Superbowl, and made Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox look good.

IMO, the benching of Smith is just a glaring example of why they need a rookie pay scale. 49 million for a guy that sits on the bench? No thanks. I hope the Chiefs never get a draft pick in the top ten.

You also get what the Giants had to deal with last year with Eli Manning - pressure to play a guy who is making shitloads of money. Why else did Warner get benched?

KCTitus
Peyton didn't light it up. He just wasn't horrible.

326/575, 56.7%, 3739yds, 26TD's, 28 Int's

Bowser
08-24-2005, 10:09 AM
3700 yards, which is why he wasn't "horrible".

And the Colts only won 3 games (I looked up Peyton's stats, but not the Colts record, so thi could be wrong), so I don't know how much of an "impact" that is.

He can't throw the ball and catch it too, you know........

Eye Patch
08-24-2005, 10:09 AM
In all fairness to Smith his offensive line has been injured with 4 out of 5 starters not playing a couple of weeks ago playing against 1st string defenders with backups and scrubs.

Letís see how Rattay can respond working with this injured and backup laden offensive line against 1st string defenders rather than 2nd string defenders that he was throwing against in preseason.

jiveturkey
08-24-2005, 10:13 AM
The 49ers can only hope Rattay pulls a Drew Brees.It's definately doubtful when you consider the supporting cast.

milkman
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
He can't throw the ball and catch it too, you know........

ROFL

Damn, with all the media love, I thought, for sure, he could.

He's just another GrBac! :cuss:

:)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Does anyone think he'll amount to anything in the NFL?

Chest Rockwell
08-24-2005, 10:27 AM
In all fairness to Smith his offensive line has been injured with 4 out of 5 starters not playing a couple of weeks ago playing against 1st string defenders with backups and scrubs.

Letís see how Rattay can respond working with this injured and backup laden offensive line against 1st string defenders rather than 2nd string defenders that he was throwing against in preseason.

Have to completely agree with you here. I've been thinking the same about Rattay. It's already a minor miracle they didn't get Smith broken the first two games with the exposure he had due to the O-line problems.

That being said, Smith's had some misfires but as yet I don't see any reason to believe he can't be successful if they shore up the supporting cast (they'll be picking pretty high again next year unless something really drastic and strange happens) and give him time to develop. He has all the tools, and the kid is SMART. He'll make mistakes, but probably not quite as many of the type that will really hurt a team as a lot of other rookie QBs(he doesn't force throws, and he doesn't pull Jakes). He actually looks a lot like he did the first few games he started for Utah, a bit overwhelmed, but everyone knows how that worked out for him.