PDA

View Full Version : negative rep policy for horizon scrolling?

Mr. Laz
08-24-2005, 11:39 AM
anyone who messes up a thread by making it a scroll sideway deal without fixing should get a neg rep?

and no I'm not talking about a minuscule scroll because a pic or coding is a little too big ... am talking about one of those

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................aaaa
........................oddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...............

retard posts :mad:

i run on 1280x1024 ... i can only imagine how bad it is for a 800x600

shakesthecat
08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
:clap:

jidar1
08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
If I had a teeny pos monitor and could only run in 800x600, I wouldn't be blaming other people for having to scroll. Those folks are reaping what they sow.

Intentional scrolling though is ignorant and bannable in a lot of internet forums, and I would agree with it. Jackasses don't need to spam aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dartgod
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I have another problem with horizontal scrolling. I have my preferences set so that attachments or image hotlinks appear as hyperlinks so that I can view peoples sigs and posts without having pictures that could get me in trouble at work automatically appear. I have to click on the link to see them.

It works pretty well with the exception of two members. KCChiefsman and Tommykat have sigs with extremely long links to images that causes me to horizontal scroll on any thread they post on. In Tommykat's case it's probably because she uses what appears to be a size 48 font for whatever reason.

It's annoying, but I guess I have to live with it.

go bowe
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
If I had a teeny pos monitor and could only run in 800x600, I wouldn't be blaming other people for having to scroll. Those folks are reaping what they sow.

Intentional scrolling though is ignorant and bannable in a lot of internet forums, and I would agree with it. Jackasses don't need to spam aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa laz doesn't have a teeny monitor...

and, right now, he's the only one "complaining"...

btw, i have a 19" monitor and i agree with laz...

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
It works pretty well with the exception of two members. KCChiefsman and Tommykat have sigs with extremely long links to images that causes me to horizontal scroll on any thread they post on.

It's for that reason, I had to turn sigs off...just too fuggin annoying. People with hyperlinks 3ft long screwed up an entire thread.

Mr. Laz
08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
laz doesn't have a teeny monitor...

and, right now, he's the only one "complaining"...

btw, i have a 19" monitor and i agree with laz...

it's not that big of a deal .. just irritating

i thought maybe a neg rep blast would "encourage" them to fix their posts is all.

:shrug: just a suggestion

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Two things preeminently cause this issue:

1) the use of PHP or code tags -- these tags preserve character spacing, etc. so it doesn't automatically line break, unless the author inserts a carriage return in the code itself

2) the use of really long URL's

I propose the following solution to #1:

I've NEVER seen the use of the code tags used on this board for they're original intended use: the posting of actual programming code. I see them used sometimes for spacing purposes to post stats and such.

I propose we remove these tags altogether.

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:04 PM
btw, I stickied this thread so that other mods could see it.

HemiEd
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I am amazed at how little I know about this subject. :hmmm:

Gaz
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Can the Mods just rename those long links?

I agree with Laz, it is mondo irritating and inconsiderate.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to see the problem addressed.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I've NEVER seen the use of the code tags used on this board for they're original intended use: the posting of actual programming code. I see them used sometimes for spacing purposes to post stats and such.

I propose we remove these tags altogether.

I feel like the benefit gained by being able to post stats and tables to preserve spacing vastly outweighs the infrequent inconvenience of the code tags hosing scrolling.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Can the Mods just rename those long links?

I agree with Laz, it is mondo irritating and inconsiderate.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to see the problem addressed.

Generally, the software automatically truncates those links except when users have images turned off in which case the long link to the img is passed as text and not truncated. I don't know the solution to this problem, I'm afraid.

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I feel like the benefit gained by being able to post stats and tables to preserve spacing vastly outweighs the infrequent inconvenience of the code tags hosing scrolling.

I'm running 1400x1050 and still see it quite a bit. Does this mean the mods can feel free to "fix" the code if it won't alter the content of a post?

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Generally, the software automatically truncates those links except when users have images turned off in which case the long link to the img is passed as text and not truncated. I don't know the solution to this problem, I'm afraid.

Here's the solution:

http://snipurl.com/

Phobia
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh - and tinyurl works, too.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm running 1400x1050 and still see it quite a bit. Does this mean the mods can feel free to "fix" the code if it won't alter the content of a post?

I don't see why not. I've done that when I've noticed the problem.

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Cool. I've refrained from changing posts in the past, for fear of having a situation like what happened with penchief.

Dartgod
08-24-2005, 12:21 PM
KCChiefsman is the only one that really has a long URL in his sig. And he has two of them side-by-side. Tommykat's sig probably wouldn't be an issue if she didn't use such a big freakin' font. Any chance a mod could fix that? I thought about addressing it to her directly, but, well you understand. ;)

I had an issue with beer me sometime ago, where he had multiple images of the Jayhawk logo in his sig. It made a serious horizontal scroll problem. I combined all the images into one image in Photoshop for him and the problem was solved. I suppose I could do the same for KCChiefsman, but he posts pretty infrequently, so it's not a real big issue.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Cool. I've refrained from changing posts in the past, for fear of having a situation like what happened with penchief.

Penchief is a puss. I think that has been established.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I fixed both TK and KCCM.

Dartgod
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I fixed both TK and KCCM.
OK, this is too freaking wierd. I checked them both out by searching for each user's last post, but I was still having to horizontal scroll. Yes, you did fix their sigs, but here was another user on both threads that has a huge font in their image link in their sig.

theultimatekcchiefsfan

Can you fix this one too, Phil? Apparently he only posts in threads that I already had to horizontal scroll.

WisChief
08-24-2005, 12:43 PM
This thread is still f'd

Can ya'll fix it?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122290

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Waaaaaaazarus. ;)

FWIW, I don't consider it a huge problem. I run at 1280x1024, though. Feel sorry for the poor saps who run at 800x600. I do think people with very large signatures (ultimatekcchiefsfan) should be forced to reduce the items in their sig, though. Thats a tad annoying.

Dartgod
08-24-2005, 12:46 PM
This thread is still f'd

Can ya'll fix it?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122290
Wow, no shit!

This appears to be the offending post:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2643648&postcount=68

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Wow, no shit!

This appears to be the offending post:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2643648&postcount=68
Heh. I figure that if it scrolls past that barrier, its not even worth reading. Its got to be incoherent babble to be that long.

Mr. Laz
08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Waaaaaaazarus. ;)
:D

WisChief
08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Heh. I figure that if it scrolls past that barrier, its not even worth reading. Its got to be incoherent babble to be that long.

Pretty much and I wanted to reply with a WTF.

I guess I just did, ddn't I?

BigRedChief
08-24-2005, 01:04 PM
You are all a bunch of whiners.:p

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I fixed the post in the Holthus thread that was causing it to scroll.

PLEASE NOTE:

You must put carriage returns in your posts!

The reason that post was causing problems was because he typed "Whoa!" over and over, separating them with periods.

The BB interprets this as ONE LONG WORD, so it keeps it on one line.

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
You are all a bunch of whiners.:p

This coming from someone who missed a Chiefs game to go to a Hoobastinks concert. :harumph:

BigRedChief
08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
This coming from someone who missed a Chiefs game to go to a Hoobastinks concert. :harumph:

You forget The Donna's were there also? They are some mighty fine looking ladies and rock and roll hard core but the bass player is a frigging blimp now.:shake:

go bowe
08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Cool. I've refrained from changing posts in the past, for fear of having a situation like what happened with penchief.yes, phobia once edited one of my posts for that reason, and all hell broke loose...

the vote to ban him was almost even...

the indignity of it all... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

Simplex3
08-24-2005, 02:17 PM
While the horizontal scrolling can be annoying I think the 500-pixel high signatures are worse. Somebody had the entire lyrics to some song in their sig a while back. Come on guys, be considerate. 4 or 5 lines of text (normal sized) and a 50px high graphic are plenty.

Before I get the "turn of signatures" lecture, I like to read some people's sigs. They're funny and provide some insight to them as people.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Sigs are out of control.

I think 50 px height is a little restrictive, though.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 02:33 PM
While the horizontal scrolling can be annoying I think the 500-pixel high signatures are worse. Somebody had the entire lyrics to some song in their sig a while back. Come on guys, be considerate. 4 or 5 lines of text (normal sized) and a 50px high graphic are plenty.

Before I get the "turn of signatures" lecture, I like to read some people's sigs. They're funny and provide some insight to them as people.
Yep. They should be restricted, but not too much. I'd like to see the ability to have a larger avatar (around 150x150 instead of 120), but put restrictions on a signature.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 02:37 PM
I think 200x800 is reasonable for graphic, text - everything.

If a sig doesn't fit inside this box, it's too large. Thoughts?

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Good deal. Can we couple this with a less restrictive avatar setting? Perhaps 150x150 pixel, with a slightly increased file size limitation?

Give a little, get a little?

Dartgod
08-24-2005, 02:42 PM

I agree. Most banner ads are around 100x500 (or smaller). If thats enough space for selling a product, then it should be big enough for the knuckleheads that populate this BB.

Simplex3
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM

I'd go 650 or 700 wide. a 1024x768 browser gets a slight horizontal scroll with the 800w image you put up and most people don't run the window maximized. 200 height is reasonable, though.

morphius
08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Damn, I knew there was a reason I turned off signatures a long time ago.