PDA

View Full Version : Robertson: Chavez remarks misinterpreted

Donger
08-24-2005, 12:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/24/robertson.chavez/index.html

My god, my kids can make better excuses than this, and they're 2 and 4.

(CNN) -- Conservative religious broadcaster Pat Robertson said Wednesday that his remarks about the removal of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez were taken out of context and that he never called for the killing of the Latin American leader.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP [Associated Press], but that happens all the time," Robertson said on "The 700 Club" program.

The controversy began Monday when Robertson called Chavez "a terrific danger" bent on exporting Communism and Islamic extremism across the Americas. (Full story)

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it," said Robertson on Monday's program. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war." (Watch video of Robertson's comments)

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," he said. "We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Venezuelan officials reacted angrily to the broadcaster's comments, while U.S. officials dismissed the remarks.

Venezuelan Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel accused Robertson of inciting violence and challenged the White House to take action against him.

"What is the U.S. government going to do about this criminal statement made by one of its citizens?" he asked.

In Havana, where he had met with Cuban President Fidel Castro to discuss ties between the two countries, Chavez told reporters he had never heard of Robertson.

Asked about the broadcaster's call for his assassination, Chavez said, "It doesn't matter to me."

"I don't know who that person is," he said. "As far as his opinion of me goes, I couldn't care less."

U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Tuesday that Robertson has the right of any private citizen to say whatever he wants but added that the broadcaster's remarks "do not represent the views of the United States."

"His comments are inappropriate," he said. "Allegations that we are planning to take hostile action against the Venezuelan government are completely baseless and without fact."

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld also dismissed Robertson's comments Tuesday, saying "our department doesn't do that kind of thing."

But Venezuela's ambassador to the United States, Bernardo Alvarez, said Robertson was "no ordinary private citizen" and demanded the White House strongly condemn the remarks.

Alvarez said the Christian Coalition, which Robertson started but no longer leads, claims some 2 million members and helped jump-start President Bush's 2000 presidential campaign after his New Hampshire primary loss to Sen. John McCain.

"Robertson has been one of this president's staunchest allies," he said.

"The United States might not permit its citizens to use its territory and airwaves to incite terrorists abroad and the murder of a democratically elected president," Alvarez said. "Venezuela demands that the U.S. abide by international and domestic law and respect its country and our president."

Venezuela's vice president said the U.S. response "challenges the antiterrorist ideology of the American government."

Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, who ran against Robertson for the GOP presidential nomination in 1988, called the comments "stupid" and "ludicrous" and suggested the broadcaster apologize "very quickly."

Taco John
08-24-2005, 12:59 PM
"I didn't mean assasination! I meant kidnapping! Come on!"

Uatu
08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
What a jackrag

NewChief
08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
ROFL

chagrin
08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
I meant simply have bamboo shoots wedged under his fingernails and a bag of rats put over his head.

Hey, I could have just meant have hiom taken out to DINNER or something! Ole Pat has finally gone fishing, geesh

Radar Chief
08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I meant simply have bamboo shoots wedged under his fingernails and a bag of rats put over his head.

Hey, I could have just meant have hiom taken out to DINNER or something! Ole Pat has finally gone fishing, geesh

Crazy,
Toys in the attic I am crazy,
Truly gone fishing.
They must have taken my marbles away.
Crazy, toys in the attic he is crazy.

You little shit you're in it now,
I hope they throw away the key.
You should have talked to me more often
Than you did, but no! You had to go
Your own way, have you broken any
Homes up lately?
Just five minutes, Worm your honor,
Him and Me, alone.

Adept Havelock
08-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Why is anyone surprised, after Robertson's past record as an NJ?

If Mullah Robertson made an intelligent, thoughtful statement, now that really would be news!

Pitt Gorilla
08-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't see the problem with what Pat said; I do have a problem with him backing off the statement. Have some sack, Pat.

Chief Faithful
08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
If I had to label someone a "Christocrat" it would be Robertson. I don't know what bothers me worse Robertson using a Christian platform to express his personal political views or the liberal media trying to demonize a whole religion by broadcasting every little idiot statement Roberston makes.

Christian's in this world should live their faith and it should impact how they vote, but what Robertson does is not about ministry for Christ.

chagrin
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
I don't see the problem with what Pat said; I do have a problem with him backing off the statement. Have some sack, Pat.

I think the reason it bothers me is that in America, his "position" as a "reigious leader" should mean he can go around saying things like he said the other day. I mean that NOT in a "freedom of speech" context, but more of a "common sense" context. It's okay if that sounds silly, just my opinion. I mean really, he's not a "cleric" you know?

Pitt Gorilla
08-24-2005, 02:19 PM
I think the reason it bothers me is that in America, his "position" as a "reigious leader" should mean he can go around saying things like he said the other day. I mean that NOT in a "freedom of speech" context, but more of a "common sense" context. It's okay if that sounds silly, just my opinion. I mean really, he's not a "cleric" you know?
I also think it is fine for people to go after Robertson. His statement didn't bother me, but it could have bothered others. I don't see why he felt the need to back off his statment.

oldandslow
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM

Your problem is talking about Robertson and common sense in the same paragraph.

PunkinDrublic
08-24-2005, 02:32 PM
My boss assasinated me from my last job. Wow Pat Robertson must lurk on the planet or orange mange cause that spin was very taco-esque.

homey
08-24-2005, 02:49 PM
When the lazy term "liberal media" is typed we need a little emotioncon thing like you all for the raiders. I would suggest a toothless hillbilly with a NRA tattoo on his forehead.

Radar Chief
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
When the lazy term "liberal media" is typed we need a little emotioncon thing like you all for the raiders. I would suggest a toothless hillbilly with a NRA tattoo on his forehead.

You posing for that picture? :shrug:

Taco John
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Well, there's that whole ten commandments thing... Thou shalt not kill. Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Pat is forced by the tenets of the religion he claims to espouse. He had to retract his statement. Instead, he lied about what he said.

Halfcan
08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Pat is a liar and a moron that should have his nuts cut off and force feed to him while he is being azz raped by every lifer in the prison system.

Gosh I hope this post does not get taken out of context.

What I really meant was he is cool.

Rain Man
08-24-2005, 06:26 PM
"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it," said Robertson on Monday's program. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," he said. "We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

There are all sorts of ways to interpret this statement.

I'm with Pitt Gorilla on this one. If you're going to make a stupid statement that's that strong, just grab the ball and run with it. Don't backtrack.

StcChief
08-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Since Chavez hijacked the government and turned it into his little empire.

Someone will 'take out' Chavez one way or another eventually.

The folks with money in Venezuela will see to it.

Not to worry about the U.S. doing it, we can stand back and watch.

trndobrd
08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
This must be the cause of the frightened reaction I got when I asked the receptionist if I could take her out sometime.

Bob Dole was 100% correct.