PDA

View Full Version : Gate's contact

Mr. Laz
08-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Chargers | Contract Breakdown: Antonio Gates
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:05:45 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the six-year deal TE Antonio Gates received is worth $22.5 million, including a signing bonus of $6 million and a $3.16 million roster bonus in 2006. He has base salaries of $380,000 (2005), $460,000 (2006), $2.625 million (2007), $3 million (2008), $3.25 million (2009) and $3.625 million (2010).

Chiefs Pantalones
08-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Is he a flag football player too?

TRR
08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
What happened to his contact? Did he lose it? All this thread talks about is his contract...

Wallcrawler
08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Gates wanted a long term deal, and more cash than his current tender.

He was only going to make something in the neighborhood of around 500k in salary this year, which was completely ludicrous considering what kind of season he had.

He held out for the better deal, and the Chargers took too long to get it done. Gates is going to miss the rest of the pre-season, as well as the opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

Count Alex's Losses
08-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Tony G never complained.

Ralphy Boy
08-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Crap, I saw "Gate's contact" and thought it was Bill Gates home telephone #. I need a loan.

philfree
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Gates wanted a long term deal, and more cash than his current tender.

He was only going to make something in the neighborhood of around 500k in salary this year, which was completely ludicrous considering what kind of season he had.

He held out for the better deal, and the Chargers took too long to get it done. Gates is going to miss the rest of the pre-season, as well as the opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

I don't know if other teams were standing in line to give Gates his chance and pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars too. Seems to me he's a classic example of a nobody getting a shot from a team and then when he does good because of the chance he was given and with the investment that team put in him he says "you guys owe me more". IMO he owed them another year of service with the same level of play before he should demand big money. One year is not enough proving ground for a UDFA to think he has the right to extort his employer.

PhilFree:arrow:

Wallcrawler
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I don't know if other teams were standing in line to give Gates his chance and pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars too.

While it is true that Gates would have missed the entire season if he had held out, I still think that he would have garnered some big bucks in free agency.

Seems to me he's a classic example of a nobody getting a shot from a team and then when he does good because of the chance he was given and with the investment that team put in him he says "you guys owe me more".

Investment? I would hardly consider the league minimum salary a substantial investment. This isnt a case like Terrel Owens or Javon Walker. Those guys were making big bucks when they started their holdout.

Gates was set to earn the NFL equivalent of chicken feed in salary this season. He deserved to be paid more.

IMO he owed them another year of service with the same level of play before he should demand big money. One year is not enough proving ground for a UDFA to think he has the right to extort his employer.

Maybe only one year, but what a year it was. He did go to the pro bowl, and he broke the NFL record for TD receptions by a tight end with 13.

81 receptions, 964 yards, 13 TDs, in only his second season with substantial playing time.

Tony Gonzalez' first year he didnt get much time, but the second season that Tony Gonzalez got substantial playing time, his numbers are very similar to Gates' numbers.

76 receptions, 849 yards, 11 TDs.

Both players only played 15 games in those seasons that they put up those numbers also.

I would say that the guy showed he could hang with the big boys and is worth the contract. He's not on par with Tony Gonzalez, but he's a damn good tight end.

Do you honestly believe that Antonio Gates should have played for 500k this year? With as big of a part of the Chargers offense that he is, and with how much is expected of him?

You cant honestly sit there and say that Antonio Gates was not worth more than 500k to the Chargers. There's no way you can say that and have any credibility whatsoever.

Yeah, the guy probably could have went the honorable way and honored his shitty, terrible contract and played for pennies.

Screw that. In this league, each snap could be your last. You never know what is going to happen. The guy is a great tight end, and deserved to be paid like one.

You accuse Gates of extorting the Chargers by wanting more money, when clearly, VERY CLEARLY, he deserved more than what he was being paid.

Where are your accusations toward the Chargers extorting a year's worth of top caliber talent for a fraction of the price?

jidar
08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
$500k is way too low. He needs to be compensated better than that and he doesnt own SD crap, he played his ass for peanuts last year. It's good he got his due. .. Now I just hope he isn't worth it. heh

philfree
08-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by philfree
I don't know if other teams were standing in line to give Gates his chance and pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars too.

While it is true that Gates would have missed the entire season if he had held out, I still think that he would have garnered some big bucks in free agency.

Seems to me he's a classic example of a nobody getting a shot from a team and then when he does good because of the chance he was given and with the investment that team put in him he says "you guys owe me more".

Investment? I would hardly consider the league minimum salary a substantial investment. This isnt a case like Terrel Owens or Javon Walker. Those guys were making big bucks when they started their holdout.

Gates was set to earn the NFL equivalent of chicken feed in salary this season. He deserved to be paid more.

IMO he owed them another year of service with the same level of play before he should demand big money. One year is not enough proving ground for a UDFA to think he has the right to extort his employer.

Maybe only one year, but what a year it was. He did go to the pro bowl, and he broke the NFL record for TD receptions by a tight end with 13.

81 receptions, 964 yards, 13 TDs, in only his second season with substantial playing time.

Tony Gonzalez' first year he didnt get much time, but the second season that Tony Gonzalez got substantial playing time, his numbers are very similar to Gates' numbers.

76 receptions, 849 yards, 11 TDs.

Both players only played 15 games in those seasons that they put up those numbers also.

I would say that the guy showed he could hang with the big boys and is worth the contract. He's not on par with Tony Gonzalez, but he's a damn good tight end.

Do you honestly believe that Antonio Gates should have played for 500k this year? With as big of a part of the Chargers offense that he is, and with how much is expected of him?

You cant honestly sit there and say that Antonio Gates was not worth more than 500k to the Chargers. There's no way you can say that and have any credibility whatsoever.

Yeah, the guy probably could have went the honorable way and honored his shitty, terrible contract and played for pennies.

Screw that. In this league, each snap could be your last. You never know what is going to happen. The guy is a great tight end, and deserved to be paid like one.

You accuse Gates of extorting the Chargers by wanting more money, when clearly, VERY CLEARLY, he deserved more than what he was being paid.

Where are your accusations toward the Chargers extorting a year's worth of top caliber talent for a fraction of the price?

I think you don't get my point....If no other team would have given Gates the Undrafted Free Agent a chance then how much money would he have made last year if the Chargers hadn't of given him a chance? If he was lucky he'd have made $50grand plus in some other line of work. Most folks aren't lucky so he'd of probably been making less then that. The Chargers saw something they liked and gave him a $500,000.00 a year job and then started training him which isn't cheap and it's a risk. It becomes a successful venture for both so after the Chargers chose to give him his big break and pay him more money in one year then he'd of seen in 10 years doing anything else he thinks they owe him more in his second year? If it wasn't for the Chargers he wouldn't have produced squat in the NFL in 2004 and he would be living with mom and dad or struggling to pay his rent instead of being a $500grand bread winner in 2004. Yeah they extorted him :rolleyes: Poor SOB! I'll say that he desreves to get a decent contract but not top tier after just one year. He had no business to hold out IMO though I will concede that he has the right to do what he chooses just like the rest of us.........

He's an ass and I can't wait to watch him get his ass kicked by Sammy Knight who's a 8-10 year vet who's paid his dues and still makes less then the one year wonder.

Phobia
08-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Phil,
This isn't your classic case of a player holding out for more money. Gates did NOT have a contract with the Bolts. He was without a contract but because he had less than 4 years in the league, he was a restricted free agent. Because he had less than 3 years in the league, he was an EXCLUSIVE rights free agent. He didn't HAVE to sign anything from the Chargers. He played hardball with them and he won.

Normally I'm pretty hard on guys who don't live up to their contracts. I beat up Holmes and Gonzo pretty good during their holdouts.

Gates is another story entirely. He didn't holdout. He honored his contract and when it was time for a new contract, he waited for a payday.

philfree
08-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Phil,
This isn't your classic case of a player holding out for more money. Gates did NOT have a contract with the Bolts. He was without a contract but because he had less than 4 years in the league, he was a restricted free agent. Because he had less than 3 years in the league, he was an EXCLUSIVE rights free agent. He didn't HAVE to sign anything from the Chargers. He played hardball with them and he won.

Normally I'm pretty hard on guys who don't live up to their contracts. I beat up Holmes and Gonzo pretty good during their holdouts.

Gates is another story entirely. He didn't holdout. He honored his contract and when it was time for a new contract, he waited for a payday.

Like I said he deserved more but holding out for "Gonzo money" was out of hand. I think we know as experienced adults that those who try to cash in quick usually cash out quick as well. He shoulda showed up to camp and went to work and with the production he had for one year the Chargers would've given him a decent contract before the season started. A decent bonus and all.......I guess I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Logical
08-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Like I said he deserved more but holding out for "Gonzo money" was out of hand. I think we know as experienced adults that those who try to cash in quick usually cash out quick as well. He shoulda showed up to camp and went to work and with the production he had for one year the Chargers would've given him a decent contract before the season started. A decent bonus and all.......I guess I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

PhilFree:arrow:I have been watching the Chargers for a decade and I believe you are naive. If anybody treats their players worse than Carl Peterson it is the Chargers front office.

|Zach|
08-25-2005, 02:44 AM
I have been watching the Chargers for a decade and I believe you are naive. If anybody treats their players worse than Carl Peterson it is the Chargers front office.
Ya? I always thought their front office was "good people" What are some examples? Not as much from a "you are wrong" stand point but from ignorance on my part. I have never seen em that way.

Rausch
08-25-2005, 02:51 AM
Good for Gates, he deserved it...

philfree
08-25-2005, 02:58 AM
I have been watching the Chargers for a decade and I believe you are naive. If anybody treats their players worse than Carl Peterson it is the Chargers front office.

If they didn't value him they would have never given him the contract they just did. Was he on any other teams radar before the Chargers signed him to a contract after he went undrafted? He performed supremely but he prolly would've never had the chance it not for the Chargers so to me that says he owes them more then they owe him. He owes them his loyalty for his chance and that coulda been paid by showing up to camp instead of holding out. That's just the way I see it with a UDFA............

StcChief
08-25-2005, 08:32 AM
All contracts need to be heavily incentive laden. with escaluting bases based on performance.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
All contracts need to be heavily incentive laden. with escaluting bases based on performance.

I like that idea. However, as good as that sounds in theory, the logistics of it would be a nightmare. Especially trying to keep the salary cap numbers in check.

As for Gates, he played hardball. He called their bluff and he won. Plain and simple.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 08:44 AM
BTW, I heard on ESPN the other day that Gates would still have to sit out the first 3 games. They said the league told they Chargers that they couldn't undo the 3 game suspension the team laid down on him. Is this still the case or has something changed?

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Ya? I always thought their front office was "good people" What are some examples? Not as much from a "you are wrong" stand point but from ignorance on my part. I have never seen em that way.

Jim's right. The Chargers front office actually might be worse than ours.

DaWolf
08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
BTW, I heard on ESPN the other day that Gates would still have to sit out the first 3 games. They said the league told they Chargers that they couldn't undo the 3 game suspension the team laid down on him. Is this still the case or has something changed?
I think by three games it means the last two preseason games and the opener...

Lzen
08-25-2005, 09:01 AM

Oh, I see. Thanks.

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 09:05 AM

Yep. He'll miss the rest of their preseason games plus the season opener.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Yep. He'll miss the rest of their preseason games plus the season opener.

Heh, too bad the NFL didn't use that logic in Warfield's case.
:shake:

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Heh, too bad the NFL didn't use that logic in Warfield's case.
:shake:

The NFL didn't issue Gates' suspension, the Chargers did.

Ari Chi3fs
08-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Good for Gates, I love their BBQ sauce.