PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Holthus' "controversy"...:cuss:

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, even though he made ME wait until the very end of his interview to find out, I'll go ahead and tell you all what the controversy was:

The third line of the Earlham Cardinals' fight song is identical to some line in some rap song.

****! :cuss:

Anyway, the only interesting news he had about the Chiefs was actually pretty big news:

STRONG rumors surrounding the trading of Scott Fujita

jspchief
08-25-2005, 08:27 AM
My Fujita jersey will look nice hanging in my closet next to my Donnie Edwards jersey...

John_Wayne
08-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I've heard this before about trading Fujita. They think they are stocked at LB and think Fujita still has a little value left. They'll only get a low round draft pick for him, but it's better than nothing. I like the idea. However, they won't do this if Griffin's injury is serious.

WisChief
08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
trading? hmmm.... if it's not for a defensive tackle, what's the point? And for who?

edit - a draft pick of course. :rolleyes:

Count Alex's Losses
08-25-2005, 08:29 AM
I don't like this at all. I think Fujita has more immediate value to the team this year than a low draft pick.

Coach
08-25-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure if I like the idea of trading Fujita.

The pro is that we can get something out of him, especially that he only has a 1 year contract.

The con is that I would think that he would be cheaper LB down the road than Barber would be.

And I'm not so sure that Barber will be able to play at 100% effectiveness, if, at all. :shrug:

the Talking Can
08-25-2005, 08:30 AM
yeah, I wonder how Griffin's injury affects this...it would be nice to get a pick for him...though I still think he's valuable to us given Bell's shoulder and Fox's complete unproven-ness...

KCTitus
08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
dang...I was so sure the controversy was going to be about Bell not playing in preseason games thus screwing up the defensive chemistry.

DaWolf
I like Fujita. That said, if they feel the other guys are better and that Barber is on track and there's no room for him, then I'd prefer the trade to cutting him (of course, who wouldn't). Probably looking at a 5th rounder at best for him at this stage. Of course one injury could change any plans...

Chiefnj
I still think Fujita is KC's most serviceable backup LB.

Why would someone trade for a player who is under a 1 year contract? Would a team give up more than a 7th round pick for him? If so, I would value the backup LB more than a 7th round pick.

Rukdafaidas
08-25-2005, 08:36 AM

Why would someone trade for a player who is under a 1 year contract? Would a team give up more than a 7th round pick for him? If so, I would value the backup LB more than a 7th round pick.
The only reason I could see a team trading for him is the contract is reasonable and if there's more than one team interested, it would drive his price up.

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
My guess is that if they're looking at trading Fujita NOW, right before the season starts, it's for a player at a position of need...

the Talking Can
any teams have LB's injured lately?

ROYC75

Kinda what I was thinking, 1 year and he can leave that team as a UFA. A low draft is probally best, I don't think we can get a 5th, maybe 6th or 7th.

Chiefnj
The only reason I could see a team trading for him is the contract is reasonable and if there's more than one team interested, it would drive his price up.

Nobody was interested in him a few months ago.

the Talking Can
08-25-2005, 08:39 AM
My guess is that if they're looking at trading Fujita NOW, right before the season starts, it's for a player at a position of need...

back-up DT or CB.....?

ROYC75
08-25-2005, 08:39 AM

True........ a DT would help, JR is sucking right now due to injuries.

jspchief
08-25-2005, 08:40 AM

Why would someone trade for a player who is under a 1 year contract? Would a team give up more than a 7th round pick for him? If so, I would value the backup LB more than a 7th round pick.My guess is they would work out a new deal for him when they traded for him.

I think the Chiefs are facing the dilema of exposing one of their young prospects on the practice squad in order to keep Fujita. Rather than lose a young talent that will be here for years to come, they are choosing to lose the guy who's only going to be here for a year regardless.

I suppose if they can get a little value out if him, it's better than nothing. I can't see any team giving up much for him, but something is better than nothing.

It's also possible that they are entertaining trade offers, but will only trade Fujita if they get the right price. If they don't get the offer they want, they keep him.

Iowanian
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
The Truth is, Fujita wants to be a starter...and in the preseason, he's played more like one than a backup. He's got a 1 year deal, and while I think he'd be the strongest backup, if they really feel strong about Griffin and Fox(scanlon and/or grigsby)......Maybe getting some value while its there is a good move..............Especially if they really think that Barber will be back(which suprises me).

The Chiefs need Depth at DT much worse than LB at this point. Its glaring that Siavii needs cut.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 08:52 AM

He was injured a few months ago. He's been playing well in the preseason, IMO.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Its glaring that Siavii needs cut.

I agree. However, his contract would make it very costly for the Chiefs to cut him right now.
:banghead:

Brock
08-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Kris Griffin must be really impressive. I hope.

Chiefnj
08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
He was injured a few months ago. He's been playing well in the preseason, IMO.

His entire situation doesn't make sense. He didn't get his surgery until late in the offseason. Why did he want to be a RFA with an injury that would need surgery?

I agree that he has been playing well; better than everyone except perhaps DJ and arguably Mitchell. With KC's history of LB injuries in recent years I'm surprised of the trade rumors.

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
I agree. However, his contract would make it very costly for the Chiefs to cut him right now.
:banghead:

I think lardass is headed for IR and will be cut after the season.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us bring in another DT, whether it's through trade or FA...

SNR
08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
I knew it! Colquitt is now the scapegoat in all these missed FGs and you know how Vermeil is with bad punters. We're going to cut Colquitt and trade Fujita for someone else's punter!

Brock

It wouldn't surprise me to see us bring in another DT, whether it's through trade or FA...

Chet's looking for work.

the Talking Can
can we put Siavii on the practice squad?

Count Alex's Losses

Wow. What a complete and total waste of a 2nd round pick.

SNR
08-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Wow. What a complete and total waste of a 2nd round pick.No kidding. At least Eddie Freeman had one or two very good games his rookie year before reverting back to suck

DaWolf
08-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Kinda what I was thinking, 1 year and he can leave that team as a UFA. A low draft is probally best, I don't think we can get a 5th, maybe 6th or 7th.

I woulda thought that before last year, where we traded R-Kal to Green Bay:

That's where the Packers came in. Looking to improve the team's pass rush, GM/Head Coach Mike Sherman traded a pair of draft picks (fifth- and sixth-round selections in 2005) to the Chiefs to acquire the 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive end.

jspchief
08-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Wow. What a complete and total waste of a 2nd round pick.That statement has become cliche for Chiefs fans.

Chiefnj
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
They could send Fujita to Carolina in exchange for Freeman. :)

If Sims' excuse is that Robinson's scheme didn't work for him, why can't Eddie use the same one? Eddie had 4 sacks as a DT before Robinson started switching him to a DE.

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
I knew it! Colquitt is now the scapegoat in all these missed FGs and you know how Vermeil is with bad punters. We're going to cut Colquitt and trade Fujita for someone else's punter!

ROFL

Seriously, I'm a little pissed that they appear to be throwing a guy that could be the best punter we've had in over a decade under the bus for a guy that misses PATs.

AirForceChief
08-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I don't like this at all. I think Fujita has more immediate value to the team this year than a low draft pick.

Awww, crap. Well, I guess it had to happen someday. I really blame myself for not preparing for this from an intellectual, emotional and spiritual stand-point... :shake:

I agree with gochiefs.

There, I said it... :(

Fujita will be needed to provide experience on both special teams and back-up depth. We are very, very young at LB. And when were not young, Bell, we have no experience in the organization/system.

Keep Scotty!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-25-2005, 09:13 AM
I heard we were gonna trade Fujita to the Jets for Ty Law...

Frankie
08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Wow. What a complete and total waste of a 2nd round pick.

First round pick, essentially.

Anyong Bluth
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
they're not going to do dump Colquitt when they think this guy is going to be a difference maker due to his ability to knock booming punts with huge hangtime and a nasty spin on it.

If his punts are as frustrating as he's been hyped and even Dante has mentioned, you have to like the chances of him causing a few recovered fumble turnovers.

Didn't we used to use Gannon as our holder? If the kid isn't getting it right away, they should have been working another guy to be the holder just in case.

Make Collins earn his $$$, and it keeps the opposition honest for possible fakes.

Bowser
08-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I like the way Van Wilder thinks.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 10:27 AM
I heard we were gonna trade Fujita to the Jets for Ty Law...

This post has been brought to you by the letters P, F, and W.

ct
08-25-2005, 10:31 AM
If I've missed it, my apologies, but nobody seems to be talking about Fujita's blown tackle vs. the Cards. He filled the gap in the middle nicely, then proceeded to totally whif on the RB. Although he did actually make some plays, he continues to miss many as well. If we can trade him for a late round pick, make the deal!!

Frankie
08-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Make Collins earn his $$$, and it keeps the opposition honest for possible fakes.
Has Kilian held for kikckers?

ct
08-25-2005, 10:33 AM

New England was...

TRR
08-25-2005, 10:38 AM
If it's for a player, which I highly doubtful, then I wouldn't mind trading him. Another DT or a CB would be great. However, a low draft choice isn't worth trading Fujita in my opinion. Especially with Bell coming back slowly, I would still like a LB corp of Fuj', Mitchell, and DJ if possible.

jspchief
08-25-2005, 10:41 AM
New England was...That was never substantiated.

All we got was someone who heard it on the radio somewhere. There was never any concrete news to back up the rumor.

As far as Fujita's blown tackles, I don't think anyone is wanting him to be the starter. But he would make a very capable back-up. Probably one of the better 2nd string LBs in the league.

Frankie
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
However, a low draft choice isn't worth trading Fujita in my opinion.
What if it's conditional and upgraded depending on his playing time?

Ralphy Boy
08-25-2005, 10:50 AM

I completely agree. Fujita is the kind of guy who'd go to New England and make the Pro Bowl by being the next Teddy Bruschi.

We need smart football players.

TRR
08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
What if it's conditional and upgraded depending on his playing time?

That's a possibility. The bad thing with the status of Fujita is that he's gone after this season. So you might as well get something for him while KC can.

I would rather have a player than a draft pick.

Bowser
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
That's a possibility. The bad thing with the status of Fujita is that he's gone after this season. So you might as well get something for him while KC can.

I would rather have a player than a draft pick.

Yep. Seeing that Fuj was a fifth rounder, I think the best we could hope for would be a fourth rounder, and that is probably being overly optimistic.

I would rather see a player at a position of need be brought in THIS year.

TEX
08-25-2005, 11:14 AM
If it's for a player, which he highly doubtful, then I wouldn't mind trading him. Another DT or a CB would be great. However, a low draft choice isn't worth trading Fujita in my opinion. Especially with Bell coming back slowly, I would still like a LB corp of Fuj', Mitchell, and DJ if possible.

Yep. It seems to be the best approach.

Frankie
08-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Yep. Seeing that Fuj was a fifth rounder, I think the best we could hope for would be a fourth rounder, and that is probably being overly optimistic.

I would rather see a player at a position of need be brought in THIS year.

A 4th? I'd be satisfied with that, given the apparent Griffin emergeance. Sounds like we won't be able to expose Griff to the waiver market at this point in order to put him on ps.

Bowser
08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
A 4th? I'd be satisfied with that, given the apparent Griffin emergeance. Sounds like we won't be able to expose Griff to the waiver market at this point in order to put him on ps.

No thanks. We would be better served with a guy that could contributethis year, rather than some second day pick next year. And with Griffin's injury up in the air, I think they may want to hold off on getting rid of Fujita.

Anyong Bluth
08-25-2005, 11:59 AM
If I'm Carl and we're looking for a player in exchange then you have to say I need a guy that can come in and start - thats what we're giving you. Someone with some DT depth has to have a player of equal value, and you can even sell the fact that we will probably have to take on more contract $ and helping them with clearing the cap.

If all we can get is a 6th rounder or higher, I say keep the guy. A year of his play is worth more to me if our LB's keep getting knicked up at the rate they are going.

In addition, do we really want to offer up a player of his caliber to a team like NE or other contenders?

Me thinks not, unless there is a player coming in of equal value to both teams and not a contender...

Frankie
08-25-2005, 12:06 PM
No thanks. We would be better served with a guy that could contributethis year, rather than some second day pick next year. And with Griffin's injury up in the air, I think they may want to hold off on getting rid of Fujita.
That's goods and dandy if we didn't have a 53 man roster limit.

And with Griffin's injury up in the air, I think they may want to hold off on getting rid of Fujita.
Could it be the extent of Griffy's "injury" is a smoke screen to keep other teams disinterested in him? :hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Mitch is quickly becoming teh ghey.

go bowe
08-25-2005, 01:45 PM
oh, c'mon k-man...

if it was a bad idea, it was probably very entertaining...

why don't you just go ahead and post it again so we can enjoy your creative artistry?

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2005, 03:25 PM
oh, c'mon k-man...

if it was a bad idea, it was probably very entertaining...

why don't you just go ahead and post it again so we can enjoy your creative artistry?

Okay...I gotta think there is a disgruntled WR or DT that someone is gettin' ready to cut. We could use some depth/competition at those positions.

I threw out Rod Gardner....:shrug:

Bowser
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Okay...I gotta think there is a disgruntled WR or DT that someone is gettin' ready to cut. We could use some depth/competition at those positions.

I threw out Rod Gardner....:shrug:

You're out of the loop. Gardner was traded to the Panthers for a 4th rounder.

Maybe Cinci is looking at Fujita for Peter Warrick?

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
You're out of the loop. Gardner was traded to the Panthers for a 4th rounder.

Maybe Cinci is looking at Fujita for Peter Warrick?

Damn, I missed the story about Gardner. Thanks.

I'd go for Warrick; nothin' to lose, although I like Fuji for depth....but IF Gun and DV are really sold on the other LBs we have... :hmmm:

Count Alex's Losses
08-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I can't imagine the Chiefs are looking at Warrick after Parker's performance last week.

Kyle401
08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Fujita for Corey Simon!

Do it Carl! :cuss:

Bowser
08-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I can't imagine the Chiefs are looking at Warrick after Parker's performance last week.

You're probably right. His was the first name that jumped to mind.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Fujita for Corey Simon!

They'll probably want more than Fuj for Simon, but I like the idea.... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
You're probably right. His was the first name that jumped to mind.

It's not like we couldn't use Parker AND Warrick....:shrug:

Count Alex's Losses
08-25-2005, 03:56 PM
It's not like we couldn't use Parker AND Warrick....:shrug:

Actually now that I think on it, it might be a nice deal, since Freddie Mitchell is as good as gone.

Bowser
08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Actually now that I think on it, it might be a nice deal, since Freddie Mitchell is as good as gone.

Is Mitchell going to play against the Seahawks?

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Is Mitchell going to play against the Seahawks?

As far as I know, Mitchell still isn't practicing, so I don't see how he could play.

Count Alex's Losses
08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
You think he's toast?

Bowser
08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
As far as I know, Mitchell still isn't practicing, so I don't see how he could play.

I'd say time is running out for this turd.

Think he'll survive first cuts?

htismaqe
08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I don't see how we can keep him on the roster when he can't get on the field.

ROYC75
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't see how we can keep him on the roster when he can't get on the field.

Wouldn't susprise me to see him go at all ...... no play, no stay.

Caver too....... 1st cuts.

Frankie
08-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Fujita for Corey Simon!

They'd have to give us Simon and another player for Fuji.

Kyle401
08-25-2005, 05:01 PM
They'd have to give us Simon and another player for Fuji.

McNabb maybe?? He may not be as good as TOdd but he would be good for depth at QB.

Frankie
08-25-2005, 05:19 PM
McNabb maybe?? He may not be as good as TOdd but he would be good for depth at QB.
There you go! OK Carl, pull the trigger.

carlos3652
08-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Fuj for Nate Kaeding (Sp?)! DO IT! ROFL

Dayze
08-25-2005, 06:00 PM
My Fujita jersey will look nice hanging in my closet next to my Donnie Edwards jersey...

You need to quit buying Jersey's.

Or at least do us a favor and buy a McCleon jers :p ey

milkman
08-25-2005, 06:40 PM

I didn't/haven't seen anything on this.

Is Dick blaming Colquitt?

Frankie
08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I didn't/haven't seen anything on this.

Is Dick blaming Colquitt?
No, he's blaming the newness of the holder.... who happens to be Colquitt. Frankly I don't know why he is doing the holding in the first place.

milkman
08-25-2005, 07:19 PM
No, he's blaming the newness of the holder.... who happens to be Colquitt. Frankly I don't know why he is doing the holding in the first place.

Yeah, I found the thread and read through it.

When you think about how important the mechanics are in kicking, it shouldn't come as any surprise that Tynes mght be in a slump, if he has a holder who has never done it before.

Think about.
As a holder, you have to fight your natural instinct to move your hand, head, and body away from the foot kicking.
I can imagine the first 20-30 times you do it, you are moving, at least a bit, while the kicker is striking the ball.

As Colquitt becomes more comfortable with holding, and Tynes becomes more confident in Colquitt, the problems should start working themselves out.

Frankie
08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I found the thread and read through it.

When you think about how important the mechanics are in kicking, it shouldn't come as any surprise that Tynes mght be in a slump, if he has a holder who has never done it before.

Think about.
As a holder, you have to fight your natural instinct to move your hand, head, and body away from the foot kicking.
I can imagine the first 20-30 times you do it, you are moving, at least a bit, while the kicker is striking the ball.

As Colquitt becomes more comfortable with holding, and Tynes becomes more confident in Colquitt, the problems should start working themselves out.

I always think one of the back up QBs should be the holder to keep the possibility of a fake and a pass out of kicking formation alive.

milkman
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I always think one of the back up QBs should be the holder to keep the possibility of a fake and a pass out of kicking formation alive.

Why the B/U?

Lenny was the holder for Jan.

Frankie
08-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Why the B/U?

Lenny was the holder for Jan.
Not to jeopardize the starter's throwing hand. I do wonder how it is kickers don't kick the holders hand often.

booger
08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
any updates today?

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 06:33 AM
any updates today?

Nope. Holhtus is a Pappajohn's shill.

booger
08-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Nope. Holhtus is a Pappajohn's shill.
ROFL

thanks anyway.