PDA

View Full Version : Griffin fighting for roster spot in Kansas City

Nzoner
08-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Found this doing a search for Chiefs news this morning from Beaver Falls,PA thought some you may enjoy the read.I'm assuming being a small town paper this must be a weekly as there's no mention of Griffin's injury in pratice yesterday.

Anyhow,the story (http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15094348&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6)

Griffin fighting for roster spot in Kansas City
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
08/25/2005

The Kansas City Chiefs depth chart lists Kendrell Bell as their starting right outside linebacker.

But with Game 1 of the NFL's regular season less than three weeks away, the former Pittsburgh Steeler has yet to take part in contact drills.

While the oft-injured Bell hopes to answer the bell on opening day, his inactivity has given another first-year Chief linebacker a chance to display his talents. And so far, Kris Griffin is making the most of his opportunity.

In Saturday's 24-17 loss to the Arizona Cardinals at Arrowhead Stadium, the former Rochester High School star started in Bell's spot.

There's a chance Bell, the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2001, may play Saturday when K.C. hosts the Seattle Seahawks. But if he doesn't, Griffin could make his second straight start.

The kid who started his college career at NAIA Geneva College and finished it at NCAA Division II Indiana University of Pennsylvania is playing like he belongs in the NFL.

"Yeah, I can play in this league," Griffin said. "When I first got here, I knew I could play. I just didn't know how I'd match up (against professional players). But so far, I'm holding my own."

With two mandatory cuts coming up soon, it may be too early to definitively say Griffin will earn a spot on the Chiefs' final 53-man roster. At the least, he's a prime candidate for the eight-man practice squad.

But according to Scott Dochterman, a sports reporter who covers the Chiefs for the St. Joseph (Mo.) Free Press, Griffin will survive the final cut.

"I would say he is going to make the team," Dochterman said. "He's been solid. He's impressed all his coaches. They like this kid a lot."

On the Chiefs' depth chart, Griffin is actually listed as the third-string right outside linebacker. Listed as Bell's backup is Keyaron Fox. But in K.C.'s first preseason game, Fox pulled his hamstring muscle and didn't dress for the game against Arizona.

In most team drills this week, it's been Griffin who's been running with the first-team defense.

"I did OK (against Arizona)," Griffin said. "It was good to get that kind of experience. The game is much faster when you're going against the (first-team) ones. I held my own. I wasn't out of my league. I want to keep building off that."

Last spring, a few NFL teams hinted that they might take Griffin in one of the later rounds of the NFL Draft. At the least, those teams indicated that they'd invite Griffin to camp as a free agent if he wasn't drafted. Those teams included the Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants.

But the Chiefs, thanks to strong recommendations from scout Cornell Gowdy who played cornerback for the Steelers in 1987-88, signed Griffin immediately after the draft.

"As an agent, you have to be careful where you send a client (who's an undrafted free agent)," said Eddie Edwards Jr., who partners in a sports management business with former Steeler cornerback Dwayne Woodruff.

"Our goal for Kris was to find a place for him where he could play for years to come in the NFL. And we thought Kansas City presented the best opportunity. I'm telling you, keep an eye on this kid."

Defensively, the Chiefs need all the help they can get. Last year they boasted the league's most potent offense. Still, they were usually outscored because their defense, ranked 31st overall, couldn't stop anybody. A team that many predicted would go to the Super Bowl finished 7-9.

So the priority during the off-season was to rebuild the defense. The Chiefs got a new defensive coordinator. They drafted Derrick Johnson, a linebacker from Texas, in the first round. They acquired Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain from the Miami Dolphins via free agency. They also got Bell in the free-agent market.

If and when Bell gets healthy, the Chiefs expect him to be an impact player.

But in the meantime, Griffin is making the most of his opportunity.

If Griffin makes the Chiefs' final roster and plays on opening day, he'll be the first Rochester grad to play in the NFL since Vito "Babe" Parilli, who played in the AFL and NFL in the 1950s and '60s.

Lzen
08-25-2005, 08:07 AM
It will be great if this kid turns out to be a good player and we picked him up as a rookie FA. :thumb: Go Kris Griffin! :thumb:

redhed
08-25-2005, 08:16 AM
I wonder...Rochester, is that in PA?
I hope he makes the team, but at this point I'm thinking PS.

jidar1
08-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Is it common for guys who are getting reps with the first team to get cut to practice squad?

tomahawk kid
08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Sounds like he strained an achilles yesterday.

Might result in a "stay of execution" for Fujita.

Big Chief Homer
08-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Hes playing with the first team defense. he's already had enough exposure .If he gets cut he wont be around to put on the parctice squad.

I think Vermiel learned his lesson last year with Ryan Lilja.

AirForceChief
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
"So the priority during the off-season was to rebuild the defense. The Chiefs got a new defensive coordinator. They drafted Derrick Johnson, a linebacker from Texas, in the first round. They acquired Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain from the Miami Dolphins via free agency. They also got Bell in the free-agent market."

I wonder how the KC media and Gunther missed the fact that he's been replaced? :hmmm:

Bob Dole
08-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Keep ****ing doubting Kris Griffin!

Dartgod
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
"So the priority during the off-season was to rebuild the defense. The Chiefs got a new defensive coordinator. They drafted Derrick Johnson, a linebacker from Texas, in the first round. They acquired Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain from the Miami Dolphins via free agency. They also got Bell in the free-agent market."

I wonder how the KC media and Gunther missed the fact that he's been replaced? :hmmm:
Damn. Fired on the intraweb again!

Bowser
08-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Damn. Fired on the intraweb again!

No wonder he's ben pissed these last couple of weeks......

milkman
08-25-2005, 07:11 PM
, in the first round. They acquired Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain from the Miami Dolphins via free agency

If he was a free agent, why did we send draft picks to Miami? :cuss:

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

:)

mikey23545
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM

****ing ditto...

HemiEd
08-25-2005, 08:09 PM
not doubting him at all, makes up for the Eddie Freeman choice, right?

Rukdafaidas
08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Mr. Dole, I know you've been harping on this guy for quite some time, how are you familiar with him?