PDA

View Full Version : 2 Wild Card teams in Baseball

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
O.K., I am listening to the Tigers feed of the A's game, and the Tigers are getting their butts handed to them, so the Announcers are filling air time by entertaining discussions of adding another wild card team in baseball to the playoffs.

I am kicking this topic out to my fellow planeteers to discuss and debate. What do you think about it? Dumb Idea, good or bad for baseball?

Count Alex's Losses
08-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes, that way the Rangers might have a chance in hell one of these years.

RedDread
08-25-2005, 01:36 PM
add 1 and the top team gets a bye?

I'd rather just add 2, but at that point you have 3 wild cards and 3 division winners, and that would be kinda funky as well.

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
The big cons to the idea were the lengthening of the postseason into November, and the length of the regular season and how it would diminish the importance of the regular season games ala NBA and Hockey.

eazyb81
08-25-2005, 01:47 PM
I think it would benefit the sport to add two more wildcard teams in each league, to have a total of 12 playoff teams. It may seem like a lot of teams, but the NFL has 12 playoff teams, the NBA has 16, and the NHL now has 20.

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I think it would benefit the sport to add two more wildcard teams in each league, to have a total of 12 playoff teams. It may seem like a lot of teams, but the NFL has 12 playoff teams, the NBA has 16, and the NHL now has 20.I might be for it if they would scrap the stupid interleague games, so that they could have a balanced schedule like they use to have.

Coach
08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I might be for it if they would scrap the stupid interleague games, so that they could have a balanced schedule like they use to have.

But if MLB decides to scrap the interleague games, then attendence would go down.

IIRC, there was an article that I read awhile back that whenever an AL team plays an NL team, attendence is higher than playing than a same league team.

As for the playoff format, I like the way it's done. I wouldn't mind if they would have six teams in each league, formatted like the NFL playoffs. Now if that f**kwad Buddy Selig would get rid of that stupid "home field" advantage for whoever wins the AS games....

Chest Rockwell
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
I might be for it if they would scrap the stupid interleague games, so that they could have a balanced schedule like they use to have.

Bingo. Drop interleague, reduce the season lenght, use that time to start the post season earlier.

BigRedChief
08-25-2005, 02:07 PM
WTF is your guys issue with interleague play? I like seeing the Cardinals play the Royals.

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 02:23 PM
But if MLB decides to scrap the interleague games, then attendence would go down.

IIRC, there was an article that I read awhile back that whenever an AL team plays an NL team, attendence is higher than playing than a same league team.

As for the playoff format, I like the way it's done. I wouldn't mind if they would have six teams in each league, formatted like the NFL playoffs. Now if that f**kwad Buddy Selig would get rid of that stupid "home field" advantage for whoever wins the AS games....Sure, then the NL needs to get rid of that F**kwad non DH rule.

Really, is it asking too much to see a little run production in a game? Even hockey is getting the message and "tweaked" their rules to improve scoring.

The pitcher batting is so 19th century its sick.

Chest Rockwell
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
WTF is your guys issue with interleague play? I like seeing the Cardinals play the Royals.

I really don't have an issue with interleague, it just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I do have a bit of an issue with season length, and interleague seems to me be the best place to cut back.

beavis
08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
They need to scrap the three division alignment and go back to two divisions in each league. Then you'd actually have to win something to get into the postseason.

Before you ask my why, I give you the NL West standings -

San Diego 63 63
Arizona 58 70
LA Dodgers 57 69
San Francisco 55 71
Colorado 48 78

If one of these teams makes it with a sub-.500 record, I'll vomit.

Soupnazi
08-25-2005, 02:40 PM
No freaking way. The baseball season is already too long. If you can't figure who's deserves to be there in 162 games, then it can't be done. The baseball wildcard was done strictly to add to TV revenue.

I'd be willing to entertain the idea if they'd shorten the season by at least 1 month.

Chest Rockwell
08-25-2005, 02:42 PM

I think it probably depends on who the interleague team is and who you drop for the matchup. I live near NL city, so I would say that if your interleague get is the Red Sox or the Yankees (currently) and you're dropping someone like and NL West team (pick one) that'd be true, but if you're getting the Royals or the D-rays and dropping the Cardinals or Braves (why do more Braves fans show up on the road than at home?), I dunno.

An expanded playoff format would probably increase attendance in the cities that make the playoffs (except for Atlanta...those fans are spoiled), but that's not really fair to all teams.

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 02:44 PM
They need to scrap the three division alignment and go back to two divisions in each league. Then you'd actually have to win something to get into the postseason.

Before you ask my why, I give you the NL West standings -

San Diego 63 63
Arizona 58 70
LA Dodgers 57 69
San Francisco 55 71
Colorado 48 78

If one of these teams makes it with a sub-.500 record, I'll vomit.Agreed, if San Diego can't play 500 they don't deserve to make it, but isn't this moot if San Diego got matched up against the best division in the AL and got clubbed in interleage when the NL east drew the AL west?

The schedule has to be balanced, everone plays the same teams the same number of times, except within your division where you should have an extra home and home against each opponent.

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 02:47 PM
No freaking way. The baseball season is already too long. If you can't figure who's deserves to be there in 162 games, then it can't be done. The baseball wildcard was done strictly to add to TV revenue.

I'd be willing to entertain the idea if they'd shorten the season by at least 1 month.The 162 is sancrosact to the statistical worshipers, of couse the season use to be what 150 back when Ruth played? You know the old Ruth=60 HRs vs Marris' 61*.

BTW, was Ruth drug enhanced? He sure was a wild swinger with the ladies and the booze back in the days, perhaps that unfairly lowered his stress level so he could hit the ball? just kidding.

Chest Rockwell
08-25-2005, 02:47 PM

That might not be a bad idea, but saying the top x number of teams makes the playoffs...

If one of these teams makes it with a sub-.500 record, I'll vomit.

That shouldn't happen with the division-heavy schedule for the last couple of months...the "best" of that division (term used VERY lightly) should cannibalize the others. That being said, if they had to play much out of the division, I'd be telling you to get your bucket ready.

bkkcoh
08-25-2005, 02:50 PM
BTW, was Ruth drug enhanced? He sure was a wild swinger with the ladies and the booze back in the days, perhaps that unfairly lowered his stress level so he could hit the ball? just kidding.

I think I remember seeing an article in a French newspaper pertaining to that also....... :hmmm:

BigRedChief
08-25-2005, 02:58 PM
The 162 is sancrosact to the statistical worshipers, of couse the season use to be what 150 back when Ruth played? You know the old Ruth=60 HRs vs Marris' 61*.

But you know of something thats never brought up with those guys is that they never faced some of the best pitchers or defensive players of their day because they were "colored". I don't think the "Babe" would have had much success against Satchel Paige.

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I think I remember seeing an article in a French newspaper pertaining to that also....... :hmmm:There is nothing like sour grapes to make Champaigne with eh Frenchie?

Lzen
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
You wanna know what I think?

BASEBALL SUCKS!!

:p

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
But you know of something thats never brought up with those guys is that they never faced some of the best pitchers or defensive players of their day because they were "colored". I don't think the "Babe" would have had much success against Satchel Paige.Dude, haven't you heard? Babe Ruth WAS part black. That is why they through him in the orphanage. The old man found out his woman was with the firman with the long hose and didn't want to raise his baby.

Its just an urban legend, but have you heard that one?

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 03:02 PM
You wanna know what I think?

BASEBALL SUCKS!!

:pYour wrong, I respectfully disagree.

You don't have to wait a week to get a bad game out of your system, you just wait 24 hours, sometimes even less.

BigRedChief
08-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Dude, haven't you heard? Babe Ruth WAS part black. That is why they through him in the orphanage. The old man found out his woman was with the firman with the long hose and didn't want to raise his baby.

Its just an urban legend, but have you heard that one?

Sure that was why he was suppose to be so much better than the whote players of his era. The "black" blood in him. But its just a myth.

Bowser
08-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Your wrong, I respectfully disagree.

You don't have to wait a week to get a bad game out of your system, you just wait 24 hours, sometimes even less.

You're not a Royals fan, are you?

Calcountry
08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
You're not a Royals fan, are you?After the A's the Royals are my #2 team, so Yeah, I'm not a Royals fan since by that time they are always mathematically eliminated.

Sorry.