PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Keep an eye on...

Count Zarth
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
GRETZ: Keep an Eye On...
Aug 26, 2005, 8:36:05 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Last Saturday, the Chiefs had 25 players who did not dress for their pre-season game against Arizona. By Tuesday, all but a handful of those players were back on the practice field.

So, must be some remarkable cures and treatments in the Arrowhead training room, right?

No, the calendar may have had as much to do with players returning than the hard work of the Chiefs trainers. Some of the guys on the roster took a look at the coming NFL schedule and realized that if they had any hope of a job in September, they needed to get back to work. Here’s what’s ahead:

* Saturday, August 27: Seattle vs. Chiefs at Arrowhead.
* Tuesday, August 30: Cutdown to 65 players, plus NFL Europe exemptions.
* Friday, September 2: Chiefs at St. Louis for final pre-season game.
* Saturday, September 3: Cutdown to 53 players.

Jobs are on the line and it’s impossible to make the “club in the tub.” That’s why it’s hard to take seriously WR Freddie Mitchell’s chances of making the roster. He still wasn’t on the practice field on Thursday and has been missing for almost a month. The only hope he has is to be on the practice field Monday afternoon.

With the starters getting more action this Saturday against the Seahawks, there’s less opportunity for the guys trying to make the roster. It’s the same thing with the return of injured or rested players; less chances for the bottom part of the roster.

For various reasons, here are some experienced players at the bottom of the roster to keep an eye on this Saturday:

RB Dee Brown – Injuries kept him out of last week’s game and that didn’t help his cause. But Brown has a chance this week to put a hammer lock on a roster spot as the No. 3 running back. He’s getting work on a couple No. 1 special teams units, and that’s always a good sign of a player’s standing. In a group with McKenzi Smith and Ronnie Cruz, Brown is the most physically gifted. But he’s going to have to show that against the Seahawks.

S Jerome Woods – His sore knee made him a non-factor until the past week, when he returned to practice. Right now, Woods should be fighting for his roster life. But the big contract he signed last year is going to make it tough for the Chiefs to release him without taking a hit on the salary cap next year, something in the neighborhood of $2 million. Right now, because of his inactivity he’s at best the No. 4 safety behind starters Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley and William Bartee. He should be in a battle with Shaunard Harts and Willie Pile for the fourth spot and at a disadvantage because he’s not on any of the special teams. Woods would make everybody feel better with a nice performance against the Seahawks.

CBs Ashley Ambrose/Dewayne Washington – Signed as insurance after Julian Battle went down with an injury during mini-camp, these two veteran cornerbacks are fighting to spend another season in the league. Neither one has made much of an impression, but Washington (12-year veteran) seems to be ahead of Ambrose (14 seasons) in the eyes of the coaches. Right now, the drop off from Patrick Surtain to the rest of the team’s cornerbacks (minus Eric Warfield) is quite steep. With Benny Sapp working at the nickel back spot and rookie Alphonso Hodge filling the dime back when the Chiefs use six DBs, Ambrose and Washington’s opportunities have been limited. It’s hard to imagine both making the opening day roster, especially since neither one is getting any snaps on the first units for special teams.

LB Scott Fujita – Based on what happened last week for the Arizona game, it doesn’t appear that Fujita’s chances of staying with the Chiefs are very good. When Kendrell Bell did not play and when Keyaron Fox was out because of injury, undrafted rookie Kris Griffin stepped into the starting lineup, not Fujita. Working in a sub-defense with the starters, Fujita saw a lot of prime playing time. But Bell, Fox, Griffin and Derrick Johnson are all ahead of him at outside linebacker on the depth chart. With Kawika Mitchell, Boomer Grigsby and Rich Scanlon on the inside, and Gary Stills around for his special teams work, the linebacker cupboard appears to be overflowing.

----------------------------------------------------------

Who's gonna get cut? By my count KC has 90 players on the active roster...so 25 guys are gone.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
What is all of this "Fujita doesn't look good" crap? Wasn't he the one who caused the fumble that Knight picked up? He looked like he was playing with a purpose, if you ask me.

Count Zarth
08-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm rooting for Jonathan Smith...f*ck Dee Brown.

And I'd cut Jerome Woods, too. The cap hit is worth keeping Pile or Harts.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm rooting for Jonathan Smith...f*ck Dee Brown.

And I'd cut Jerome Woods, too. The cap hit is worth keeping Pile or Harts.

Has Jonathan Smith even carried the ball yet? If he has, what is his numbers?

Count Zarth
08-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Has Jonathan Smith even carried the ball yet? If he has, what is his numbers?

15 carries, 65 yards

2 catches, 25 yards

Dee Brown has 10 carries for 24 yards, 2 catches for 15 yards

Bowser
08-26-2005, 02:39 PM
15 carries, 65 yards

2 catches, 25 yards

Looks good to me.

Is Dee Brown one of Vermeil's boys?

Big Slick
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Who's gonna get cut? By my count KC has 90 players on the active roster...so 25 guys are gone.

Only 15 cuts coming. NFL Europe players are exempt this round, they don't count toward the 65...

dilligaf
08-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I would really hate to see Fuji cut. :(

ct
08-26-2005, 03:28 PM
15 carries, 65 yards

2 catches, 25 yards

You're thinking of McKenzi Smith.

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 03:28 PM
They would be stupid to cut Fuji-he is a smart player and much better than Stills.

siberian khatru
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Dee Brown couldn't help the Royals, I don't see what he can offer the Chiefs.

Count Zarth
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
You're thinking of McKenzi Smith.

I'm still calling him Jonathan Smith.

petegz28
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
How can Bell be ahead of anyone?

TEX
08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
How can Bell be ahead of anyone?

Because he looks so fast playing flag footbal maybe? :hmmm:

whoman69
08-27-2005, 10:48 AM
The reasons Griffin started were that he has had more time practicing, plays on that side, and perhaps because the coaches wanted to see what he could do in the game. He was burnt a couple of times being out of position. If it comes down to Fuji and Griffin, we may keep Griffin if we can get something for Fujita. I would have to think if the Chiefs cannot make a deal for Fujita, they would have to keep him as the best player. Add to the mix his abilities on ST and its a no brainer.

stevieray
08-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Fujita could end up a R aider.

Count Zarth
08-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Fujita could end up a R aider.

Oh god no. And they need LBs.

stevieray
08-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh god no. And they need LBs.

Southern Cal is home.