PDA

View Full Version : Thread for Iowa football fans...

Marco Polo
08-26-2005, 04:25 PM
In the latest Sporting News, it rates the Top College Football Coaches (Ferentz rated #4 nationally by the way). On page 16 when discussing the Big Ten, it says this:

"Ferentz will win a national title at Iowa in the next four years."

If that doesn't make you feel downright giddy, nothing will.

In case anyone was wondering here was the Top 5 coaches:

1. Carroll
2. Spurrier
3. Stoops
4. FERENTZ
5. Beamer

Phobia
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Winning a national title would absolutely kick ass. So would a Super Bowl victory....

Neither of which I've had during my lifetime.

Chief Henry
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Ferentz over Spurrier Hands down....

I would take a national title with in four years.
Hellya.

vailpass
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I like Bobby but he can't carry Kirk's jock when it comes to maximizing talent and effort from your players.
If Coach Ferentz had a roster full of Cadillacs like OU...well wait, no, I guess he would have to kick half of those guys off the squad wouldn't he?

vailpass
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Check out the latest 2-deeps via Rivals.com. Hope Hinkel doesn't get busted up returning kicks.

August 26, 2005
Hawkeyes release new two deeps
--------------------------------------------------
Blair Sanderson
Staff

With Iowa Hawkeye football due to kickoff in less than eight days, head coach Kirk Ferentz and staff released the initial two deeps for the season opener against Ball State today. See the updated depth chart and link to next week's game notes listed below.
OFFENSE

LT - Mike Jones, Nyere Aumaitre
LG - Marshal Yanda OR Ben Cronin, David Walker
C - Brian Ferentz, Rob Bruggeman
RG - Mike Elgin, Seth Olsen
RT - Ben Gates, Marshal Yanda
TE - Ryan Majerus OR Scott Chandler, Brandon Myers
WR - Clinton Solomon, Calvin Davis
WR - Ed Hinkel, Herb Grigsby
QB - Drew Tate, Jason Manson
FB - Tom Busch, Champ Davis OR Paul Wilson
RB - Marcus Schnoor OR Albert Young, Marques Simmons OR Sam Brownlee

DEFENSE

DE - Kenny Iwebema, Jacob Spratt
DT - Matt Kroul, Ettore Ewen OR Nate Roos
DT - Alex Willcox, Mitch King OR Nate Roos
DE - Bryan Mattison OR Mike Follett, Ted Bentler
OLB - Ed Miles, Gavin McGrath OR Chris Kuehl
MLB - Abdul Hodge, Zach Gabelmann
WLB - Chad Greenway, Mike Klinkenborg
CB - Jovon Johnson Bradley Fletcher
CB - Antwan Allen, Adam Shada
SS - Miguel Merrick OR Marcus Paschal, Devan Moylan
FS - Charles Godfrey OR Marcus Paschal, Andrew Becker

SPECIAL TEAMS

P - John Gallery OR Andy Fenstermaker
K - Kyle Schlicher

Holder - Andy Fenstermaker

Deep Snaps - Daniel Olstza, Bryan Mattison

Punt Returns - Ed Hinkel, Albert Young, Clinton Solomon

Kick Returns - Ed Hinkel, Albert Young

http://iowa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=447695

Saulbadguy
08-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Will the new front 4 hold up? What do they look like?

Marco Polo
08-26-2005, 05:46 PM
They are young but from the reports, they are surprisingly advanced for their age. OL and RB are a concern though.

vailpass
08-26-2005, 05:47 PM

That sir is the million dollar question. Here's what one of our starting DE's has to say (not much meat but heh, it's early)...

August 21, 2005
Iwebema sees improvement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blair Sanderson
Staff

Although he says he is never one to be satisfied, Iowa defensive end Kenny Iwebema sees improvement in both his game and the Hawkeye team as a whole through the first two weeks of camp. Read Iwebema's thoughts on the defensive line's progress and much more.

HawkeyeReport.com

Iwebema sees a lot of improvement in the Iowa offensive line he goes up against in practice everyday.
Q: Can you take us through what Coach Aiken does with you guys to help gain an edge?

IWEBEMA: We watch film to know our opponent and we just play the hat. He says that 1,000 times a practice, "Key the hat, key the hat."

Q: How would you rate your performance in camp the last two weeks?

IWEBEMA: Ah, I've gotten better.

Q: Are you a guy that's pretty tough on yourself?

IWEBEMA: Yeah, I am to be honest with you. If I don't make a lot of plays, I get pretty mad, but I've made some.

Q: As a group, how has the d-line looked?

IWEBEMA: We've gotten better. That's all you can ask for as long as we just keep improving. Hopefully by September 3, we'll be ready to go.

Q: You guys are a pretty young group. Have you taken on more of a leadership role this year?

IWEBEMA: I wouldn't say I'm the leader, but we all look after each other. We're all leaders.

Q: How good do you think the defense can be this year?

IWEBEMA: I'm not good at making predictions, but I'll just say we'll play our best every game.
Q: Looking across that line, how has the OL been going up against them everyday?

IWEBEMA: I mean they're the only guys we've seen. A lot of guys have improved greatly and put on pounds and gotten stronger. I've been going up against Mike Jones and he's been showing improvement. All of the guys have been showing improvement.

Q: How's the matchup between you and Jones gone?

IWEBEMA: I win some and he wins some. He's gotten a lot better.

Chan93lx50
08-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I have the poor mans season tickets to the Iowa football games. I do the Per mar Security, I have to take tickets work the first quarter and at half time other than that I get to see the rest of the game!

Go HAWKS

Hoover
08-26-2005, 06:08 PM
I went to the open practice last saturday. All I can saw is their freshman recruiting class is amazing.

I don't know names off the top of my head, but #36 is a full back who looks like bettis did when he was in college.

Hoover
08-26-2005, 06:10 PM
The front four will be fine because the LB's are amazing and so effin fast.

TRR
08-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Marques Simmons is starting at RB. I just talked to Simmons about 3 weeks ago. He said he's pumped for this season, and glad to be a Hawk. He told me he never felt right at Nebraska.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Check out the latest 2-deeps via Rivals.com. Hope Hinkel doesn't get busted up returning kicks.

August 26, 2005
Hawkeyes release new two deeps
--------------------------------------------------
Blair Sanderson
Staff

With Iowa Hawkeye football due to kickoff in less than eight days, head coach Kirk Ferentz and staff released the initial two deeps for the season opener against Ball State today. See the updated depth chart and link to next week's game notes listed below.
OFFENSE

LT - Mike Jones, Nyere Aumaitre
LG - Marshal Yanda OR Ben Cronin, David Walker
C - Brian Ferentz, Rob Bruggeman
RG - Mike Elgin, Seth Olsen
RT - Ben Gates, Marshal Yanda
TE - Ryan Majerus OR Scott Chandler, Brandon Myers
WR - Clinton Solomon, Calvin Davis
WR - Ed Hinkel, Herb Grigsby
QB - Drew Tate, Jason Manson
FB - Tom Busch, Champ Davis OR Paul Wilson
RB - Marcus Schnoor OR Albert Young, Marques Simmons OR Sam Brownlee

DEFENSE

DE - Kenny Iwebema, Jacob Spratt
DT - Matt Kroul, Ettore Ewen OR Nate Roos
DT - Alex Willcox, Mitch King OR Nate Roos
DE - Bryan Mattison OR Mike Follett, Ted Bentler
OLB - Ed Miles, Gavin McGrath OR Chris Kuehl
MLB - Abdul Hodge, Zach Gabelmann
WLB - Chad Greenway, Mike Klinkenborg
CB - Jovon Johnson Bradley Fletcher
CB - Antwan Allen, Adam Shada
SS - Miguel Merrick OR Marcus Paschal, Devan Moylan
FS - Charles Godfrey OR Marcus Paschal, Andrew Becker

SPECIAL TEAMS

P - John Gallery OR Andy Fenstermaker
K - Kyle Schlicher

Holder - Andy Fenstermaker

Deep Snaps - Daniel Olstza, Bryan Mattison

Punt Returns - Ed Hinkel, Albert Young, Clinton Solomon

Kick Returns - Ed Hinkel, Albert Young

http://iowa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=447695

Hinkel's been returning kicks and punts his entire career. I'm not worried about it.

Also, I'm the first to tell you guys -- all this talk about graduating all 4 defensive linemen is bunk.

Iwebema and Mattison are the SHIT.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Marques Simmons is starting at RB. I just talked to Simmons about 3 weeks ago. He said he's pumped for this season, and glad to be a Hawk. He told me he never felt right at Nebraska.

I too think Simmons will end up with the bulk of the carries. Maturity and composure separate him from the rest -- they're all talented.

whoman69
08-27-2005, 09:47 AM
They are young but from the reports, they are surprisingly advanced for their age. OL and RB are a concern though.
Oline is not going to be a problem under Ferentz. He knows how to get them together. They have 2 returning starters.
Running back is again going to be a concern. If they can get a run game going this year, they will be very tough to beat.

Saulbadguy
08-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Purdue is gonna throttle you guys. :)

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Purdue is gonna throttle you guys. :)

Yeah, they've done such a great job of it lately.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Oline is not going to be a problem under Ferentz. He knows how to get them together. They have 2 returning starters.
Running back is again going to be a concern. If they can get a run game going this year, they will be very tough to beat.

RB wasn't a concern last year, they have talent. They just couldn't stay healthy. There's NO WAY we're going to have to go 5-deep again.

ISUJeff
08-27-2005, 03:14 PM
C'mon, the Hawkeye's aren't even the best football team in the state.

Ok, I'm not really stupid enough to believe that. As loyal as I will always be to ISU, I'm very impressed with the current Iowa team, and especially Ferentz. It was very easy to dislike the team under Fry not always have the highest level of respect for them, but as a true football fan, I tip my hat to Ferentz and what he's already done in his short time there. I couldn't believe it, but I was actually cheering and jumping around after the final pass in the Capital One Bowl. To put that in perspective, in my past that'd be like cheering for the Raiders.

Hoping for the upset Sept. 10, but would like to see a top 10 season from Ferentz and the team for the rest of the year.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 04:33 PM
C'mon, the Hawkeye's aren't even the best football team in the state.

Ok, I'm not really stupid enough to believe that. As loyal as I will always be to ISU, I'm very impressed with the current Iowa team, and especially Ferentz. It was very easy to dislike the team under Fry not always have the highest level of respect for them, but as a true football fan, I tip my hat to Ferentz and what he's already done in his short time there. I couldn't believe it, but I was actually cheering and jumping around after the final pass in the Capital One Bowl. To put that in perspective, in my past that'd be like cheering for the Raiders.

Hoping for the upset Sept. 10, but would like to see a top 10 season from Ferentz and the team for the rest of the year.

What Ferentz has done is remarkable, but I'd have to say what McCarney (BLECH!) has done was damn-near impossible.

mlyonsd
08-27-2005, 04:36 PM
If Ferentz could get three solid classes to come up without injuries look out.

BTW, for him to be listed behind Spurrier and Stoops seeing the school he coaches at is crap.

I can't imagine what Ferentz could do at a really large school.

vailpass
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I have the poor mans season tickets to the Iowa football games. I do the Per mar Security, I have to take tickets work the first quarter and at half time other than that I get to see the rest of the game!

Go HAWKS

Do you know Craig, a real nice dude that also works Per Mar for Hawk f-ball games? He's about 6,2' or so, black dude, super good guy. Works the door at that "Irish" bar in Town & country Mall also.
I know him from my days in Cedar Rapids.

Chan93lx50
08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Do you know Craig, a real nice dude that also works Per Mar for Hawk f-ball games? He's about 6,2' or so, black dude, super good guy. Works the door at that "Irish" bar in Town & country Mall also.
I know him from my days in Cedar Rapids.

Nope have not met him, I will keep a look out for him when I work this Saturday. I used to work the SW gate but with the changes to the stadium this year I have no Idea where they are going to put me.

Hopefully they put me somewhere other than the SW gate this year. It has been tipically the busiest gate and this year they are making the students come in through that gate so Its going to be a nightmare, with them and all the people getting off the train. Its going to be trying to dump a gallon of water through a pin hole!

vailpass
08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Nope have not met him, I will keep a look out for him when I work this Saturday. I used to work the SW gate but with the changes to the stadium this year I have no Idea where they are going to put me.

Hopefully they put me somewhere other than the SW gate this year. It has been tipically the busiest gate and this year they are making the students come in through that gate so Its going to be a nightmare, with them and all the people getting off the train. Its going to be trying to dump a gallon of water through a pin hole!

Yeah, I'll bet you will be hopping. Still, it beats shoveling coal into the ADM burner or being the smell-test guy at Quaker Oats :)

Coogs
08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I would take a national title with in four years.
Hellya.

Better get 'er done in the next year or two so he can come to KC when DV hangs it up.