PDA

View Full Version : Bears/Benson Debacle

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 08:28 PM
The Bears are a poorly ran franchise and Benson/Eugene Parker combo don't combine for the sharpest tools in the shed. The fact he didn't make it to camp is ridiculous. I'm starting to think at this point he could be the next Kelly Stouffer and miss the entire season. I'm a firm believer that players that miss all of camp as a rookie are worth much less than those that are in camp and I completely agree with the idea of reducing an offer as time passes as a result. I'm starting to think that the Bears are close to excepting the fact their season is shot to hell with Grossman going down and seeing that their hopes of Chad Hutchinson bailing them out were a bad mistake.

Due to that I think they will dig their heels in further than they otherwise would have and say "to hell with it I'm not paying huge money for a kid who missed all of camp and is likely to get hurt when we are playing for nothing..."

Could certainly be very wrong but I think this has a good chance of going the distance. Shame on Parker being such a dumbass and putting the kid in this position.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:30 PM
That's what happens when the chick heir of the family business hands it over to her dork, business man/gold digging boyfriend/husband...see Mrs. York of the 69ers...

Terry Donahue as the Pres...what a freaking joke!

jspchief
08-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Are the Bears still owned by the same guy that ran Ditka out of town?

Miles
08-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Not really sure why they drafted him in the first place. Thomas Jones is pretty solid and not very old. Considering how bad they were last season, spending a lot on a RB when they already have one doesnt make a lot of sense.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Yep...MR. McKaskey (or however you spell it). His wife is Papa Bear's daughter

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Thomas Jones is anything but Solid, not trying to start an arguement, but he is not very good

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Are the Bears still owned by the same guy that ran Ditka out of town?

Still owned by the Halas/McCaskey family I believe but Mike McCaskey is no longer Pres/CEO as Ted Phillips replaced him.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Still owned by the Halas/McCaskey family I believe but Mike McCaskey is no longer Pres/CEO as Ted Phillips replaced him.

Really? Well, that's something

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Thomas Jones is anything but Solid, not trying to start an arguement, but he is not very good

He played pretty darn well for them last year before getting banged up and is playing very well tonight 94 yards on 14 carries. He may not be Pro Bowl bound but I would agree they had bigger needs than RB that high in the draft.

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Really? Well, that's something

Definitely a move in a better direction as McCaskey probably only ranked ahead of Mike Brown leadership there for a while.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't take anything I see in preseason as gospel, and Thomas Jones did really well for Tampa a year or so ago too. Also played "well" for Az in his first preseason.
One time, when Sam Wyche was head coach of the Yucaneers, they went 4-0 in preseason and blew everyone out of the water...

again, not to be a prick but TJ is not your answer at RB, the did need Cedric, of course why the drafted "tiny hands" Rex, I will never know

I was being a bit sarcastic, I'm sorry dude. I have a buzz. I didn't mean to be rude

jspchief
08-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Thomas Jones had a hell of a year for the Bears last year while he was healthy.

The only question IMO is his durability.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Definitely a move in a better direction as McCaskey probably only ranked ahead of Mike Brown leadership there for a while.

I agree, and alot of folks in Chicago do too. It will be nice to see them progress

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Thomas Jones had a hell of a year for the Bears last year while he was healthy.

The only question IMO is his durability.

And did it with no passing game to stretch the field and open things up a bit. I also think his back up Adrian Peterson could be a player if given a chance. Benson would probably be better than what they had but again not anywhere near their biggest need IMHO.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Actually, I am leaning your way, but I still think Cedric was the best player available at that time. QB though...

jspchief
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
It was a bad year to have an early pick. No one wanted those high picks this year because the talent just didn't warrant the contracts. The QBs were questionable, and I think a few of the RBs will be too.

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Actually, I am leaning your way, but I still think Cedric was the best player available at that time. QB though...

Being an IU guy it pains me to say it but I think the Bears got them a steal in the 4th round with Kyle Orton. Big arm and going to be a better pro than A.Rodgers I believe.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Orton, UofM fan here...he really has it all, almost. He needs to regain his confidence, but he might just be the guy

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Orton, UofM fan here...he really has it all, almost. He needs to regain his confidence, but he might just be the guy

I like Alex Smith and the intangibles he brings to the table but would not be surprised in the least if Orton turned out to be the most successful QB from this draft. Really like Smith but probably wouldn't have coughed up the coin to take him in the top 5 like the 9ers did.

chagrin
08-26-2005, 09:08 PM
that was a PR draft pick. They were under so much pressure to draft a QB to "continue the heritage" og 69ers QB's. Watch Rattay tear it up this year, that would be funny

NaptownChief
08-26-2005, 09:10 PM
that was a PR draft pick. They were under so much pressur eot draft a QB to "continue the hritage" og 69ers QB's. Watch Rattay tear it up this year, that would be funny

Yeah it would be Brees/Rivers all over again. :D

Coach
08-26-2005, 09:11 PM
that was a PR draft pick. They were under so much pressur eot draft a QB to "continue the hritage" og 69ers QB's. Watch Rattay tear it up this year, that would be funny

Well, it could be possible, considering that he has played decently at pre-season games.

But then, if Rattay implodes, then Smith will most likely be in about mid-way of the season.

Miles
08-26-2005, 09:20 PM

Rattay played very well in a few games early last season before he got hurt. He had several injuries and wasnt really the same after that. He may still be good but has some serious durability issues.

TEX
08-26-2005, 10:59 PM
And on draft day Benson was so happy to be picked in the low first round that he started :deevee: Go figure.

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
His agent is not as freakin stupid as Lavar Arringtons agent that just missed the fact that 6.5 mil signing bonus was not included in the final contract. Then says no problem Uncle Snyder will do the right thing. I would sue the guy. He is supposed to represent the concrete brain Arrington and he totally screwed the guy. Bustson will probably be left off the roster this year is my guess-I really don't think DaBears have the cash after signing all the high priced second tier talent.

NJ Chief Fan
08-26-2005, 11:13 PM
thomas jones isnt half the back his brother julius is!