PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the AFC West

RedNeckRaider
08-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Well the season is near so here are a few brain droppings about the west...
The Chargers
They return the same team as last season and one can only wonder if last seasons AFC West crown was due to a weak schedule and a fluke year by Brees or the start of a turn around. Last year they were able to beat one very weak playoff team (Denver) but one must admit they won the games they needed to. That said the playoffs left them looking very beatable and had their starting Qb clicking his heels saying "theres no place like free agency, theres no place like free agency"

The Broncos
This team has me confused to say the least. The off season moves have the look of a desperate team. For the first time in quite awhile the have some question marks at the RB position. This does not bode well for Jake "I never have lived up to my nickname" Plummer. Even the Bronco diehard must admit with a defense full of ? and a backfield with more of the same, the thought of having Plummer have to go out and win games is a scary thought. Oh well at least the signed that breakout wide reciever....err...Jerry Rice :rolleyes:

The Chiefs
KC adressed the defense in the offseason bringing in Surtain, Knight and Derrick Johnson. They also added Kendrick Bell who is about as durable as Samuel Jacksons character in the movie Unbreakable. I do look for improved play on that side of the ball. In recent years KC could rest at night knowing their offense would light up the board and keep them in games. With age creeping in and no real threat at wideout I am wondering if they can rely on that level of play.

The R-aiders
this team put its hopes on what looks to be a killer offense and a bunch of unproven and underachievers on defense. Taking off the homer glasses for a moment, here is what I see. A coach who has yet to prove he can lead a entire team, we all know he can run a offense. A very likeable and team player Randy Moss but will this last, or does he turn back into me first Moss. How does Porter handle sharing to ball over the season with Moss and up and comer Ron Curry?

A very solid looking back up RB in Jordan who may be asked to carry the load to keep a questionable defense off the field, can he handle that load? Can Warren Sapp and Ted Washinton return to form? Can a cast of young players gell and play solid enough to keep this team in games where the offense struggles? The fan in me thinks this team could surprise this year, but looking at this team in a unbiased manner I see alot of question marks.

stevieray
08-27-2005, 10:12 AM
blue moon

TEX
08-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Here's my prediction:

1. Chargers - The most balanced team in the division. The schedule will be difficult, so it will be tougher to win the division this year. Their kicking game is very weak and could cost them some games. They are a good team in a weak division.

2. Broncos - Their defense will keep them in most games. Their offense doesn;t scare anyone (except fo all the chopping and shit) but was ranked in the top 5. Their schedule is more favorable in the beginning than anyone elses in the division, and I'd suspect that they get off to a good start and fade down the stretch. They can win games by runing the ball and by playing defense if need be. They can lose them by letting Jake do more.

3. Chiefs - Solid offense, but sometimes gets off to a slow start.Age might start to show this year. The offense would be ustoppable with a legit # 1 WR. The defense is still a HUGE qustion mark. Talent was added, but IMO it's not enough to be a legit playoff contender. Not beiig able to count on Bell and no Warfield for awhile is going to hurt. Must survive the first month of the season to have a chance. Kicking game is weak and could cost us a game or two.

4. Raiders - Much like the CHIEFS except their offense could be more explosive because of thier WR's. Jordan will be a huge plus in the run game. Their defense has not improved, at least on paper, from last year and that's not good for them but is good for everyone else in the division.

Honestly, it's a crap shoot. I do think the Bolts are the best team and then the others could finish anywhere from 2nd -4th.
If the CHIEFS _efense plays better they can easily pass the Broncos and would have a good shot at challenging the Bolts for the division title. If not, it's gonna be more of the same... :hmmm:

JazzzLovr
08-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Well the season is near so here are a few brain droppings about the west...
The Chargers
They return the same team as last season and one can only wonder if last seasons AFC West crown was due to a weak schedule and a fluke year by Brees or the start of a turn around. Last year they were able to beat one very weak playoff team (Denver) but one must admit they won the games they needed to. That said the playoffs left them looking very beatable and had their starting Qb clicking his heels saying "theres no place like free agency, theres no place like free agency"

The Broncos
This team has me confused to say the least. The off season moves have the look of a desperate team. For the first time in quite awhile the have some question marks at the RB position. This does not bode well for Jake "I never have lived up to my nickname" Plummer. Even the Bronco diehard must admit with a defense full of ? and a backfield with more of the same, the thought of having Plummer have to go out and win games is a scary thought. Oh well at least the signed that breakout wide reciever....err...Jerry Rice :rolleyes:

The Chiefs
KC adressed the defense in the offseason bringing in Surtain, Knight and Derrick Johnson. They also added Kendrick Bell who is about as durable as Samuel Jacksons character in the movie Unbreakable. I do look for improved play on that side of the ball. In recent years KC could rest at night knowing their offense would light up the board and keep them in games. With age creeping in and no real threat at wideout I am wondering if they can rely on that level of play.

The R-aiders
this team put its hopes on what looks to be a killer offense and a bunch of unproven and underachievers on defense. Taking off the homer glasses for a moment, here is what I see. A coach who has yet to prove he can lead a entire team, we all know he can run a offense. A very likeable and team player Randy Moss but will this last, or does he turn back into me first Moss. How does Porter handle sharing to ball over the season with Moss and up and comer Ron Curry?

A very solid looking back up RB in Jordan who may be asked to carry the load to keep a questionable defense off the field, can he handle that load? Can Warren Sapp and Ted Washinton return to form? Can a cast of young players gell and play solid enough to keep this team in games where the offense struggles? The fan in me thinks this team could surprise this year, but looking at this team in a unbiased manner I see alot of question marks.

So...who typed all that for ya? ;)

:D

4th and Long
08-27-2005, 02:39 PM
In recent years KC could rest at night knowing their offense would light up the board and keep them in games. With age creeping in and no real threat at wideout I am wondering if they can rely on that level of play.
Name the last time we had "a real threat at the wideout position".

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Now explain to me how a team who hasn't had "a real threat at the wideout position" has managed to have one of the top offenses the last few years.

Saul Good
08-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Andre Rison?

4th and Long
08-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Andre Rison?
What year was that and did we have a top ranked offense?

Yeah ... that's what I thought. :p

Saul Good
08-27-2005, 04:07 PM
What year was that and did we have a top ranked offense?

Yeah ... that's what I thought. :p

I wasn't implying that it was recent or that we had a good offense at the time, quite the opposite actually.

Halfcan
08-27-2005, 06:26 PM
WOW what an informative thread!!

RedNeckRaider
08-27-2005, 08:41 PM
So...who typed all that for ya? ;)

:D
Me! you would be surprised what you can type in a hour or so...

RedNeckRaider
08-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Now explain to me how a team who hasn't had "a real threat at the wideout position" has managed to have one of the top offenses the last few years.

When a team has got by with out one you think damn they are good, that said you get a little older and injuries play a role. I would sleep better at night if I was a Chiefs fan if they had someone besides Gonzo to catch the ball. As I said you guys have a great offense, but things change from year to year, you guys ain't any younger. "Yeah, that's what I thought" really! you want to swell up over that post? What the **** ever.

JazzzLovr
08-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Me! you would be surprised what you can type in a hour or so...

:LOL:

RedNeckRaider
11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Well I was pretty close on KC, Oakland, and the bolts. I am now wiping the egg off my face over my statements on Denver. Hats off to the bastards as they are much better than I thought they would be :shake: