PDA

View Full Version : Why is James Kilian not playing???

Bowser
08-27-2005, 08:40 PM
I'd rather see if this kid has a legitimate shot at making the team than watch turdball Quinn struggle through leading our offense.

He couldn't make it with the Bears, for cryin' out loud! Let the rookie play!

:cuss:

Bwana
08-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I agree with you 100% Bowser. Yank that tool Quinn and put him in.

jAZ
08-27-2005, 08:50 PM
I've been thinking about this decision and I think there are a couple factors at play here.

1) The Chiefs want to evaluate a number of different positions (not just the rookie QB) and they want as consistant a QB (not the rook) to give themselves the best chance at accurately evaluating those players (particularly at WR).

2a) DV is probably more comfortable with where Quinn is and what he can/will do, and if both Huard and Collins are out at the end of the Preseason, Quinn will be our #2 QB behind Green.

2b) Because of 2a, Quinn needs all the game time he can get.

3) Killian will play the 4th Q of this game.

4) Killian is headed to the Practice Squad no matter what happens in this or the next game.

PastorMikH
08-27-2005, 08:56 PM
The ONLY reason I can see to not be playing Killian is that they have seen enough of him already in practicevto know they want to keep him and they are wanting to slip him in under the radar onto the practice squad.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be #3 though right now.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-27-2005, 08:59 PM
I've been thinking about this decision and I think there are a couple factors at play here.

1) The Chiefs want to evaluate a number of different positions (not just the rookie QB) and they want as consistant a QB (not the rook) to give themselves the best chance at accurately evaluating those players (particularly at WR).

2a) DV is probably more comfortable with where Quinn is and what he can/will do, and if both Huard and Collins are out at the end of the Preseason, Quinn will be our #2 QB behind Green.

4) Killian is headed to the Practice Squad no matter what happens in this or the next game.

Well concerning point #1 Quinn certainly is not providing the coaches with anything to help them with any decisions.

jAZ
08-27-2005, 09:26 PM
I am now 100% certain that Killian is headed for the PS and they are getting Quinn ready for a backup role come Sept 11th.

Frankie
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
GOT OFF QUINN'S BACK!!! The guy is in off the street, rust and all, and doing a hell of a lot better than Huard.

jAZ
08-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Just talked to my dad and he said that it was basically decided early in the week that Quinn would play the entire game after Trent.

I guess he is for sure the #3 QB once Collins comes back and #2 until then. Huard is gone and Killian to the PS which is why they are holding him out.

WisChief
08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Killian must have bad mouthed Hicks this week and pissed off DV.

ENDelt260
08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
GOT OFF QUINN'S BACK!!!

Oh my God, Tucker is died!

Wile_E_Coyote
08-27-2005, 09:49 PM

giving Quinn every ****ing opportunity to kick Huard to the curb :thumb:
(after just 3 day s practice)

Huard really, really sucks

Color Red
08-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Todd Collins has been the backup, and a reliable one in Vermeil's mind, for what seems like forever. If all of a sudden Collins is out, and Huard's out of the mix, they are going to press to get someone up to speed as a backup. Most NFL starting QB's seem to have their turn missing games due to injury. You'd sure hate to see Trent go down, but the nervousness is over having a suitable backup in case he does. Quinn is the best choice, having been in the system. So getting him as much game experience at a time like this is critical. He'll probably play practically the whole game next week. Hopefully they'll be happy with a good amount of his play and let Killian in for a quarter. Remember, Killian is supposed to be a "project."

Rain Man
08-27-2005, 10:35 PM
I hope that Lamar is hiring an assistant to open doors for Trent, pick up hot things, carry him up stairs, etc. We can't take any risks with him.

Logical
08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
I must say I never wanted Todd Collins to be our backup more than I do now. Wow either this offense is seriously overly complicated or we have the worst backups in the league.

ROYC75
08-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Damn, what you guys want, Superman as our # 3 QB ? Quinn just signed, he knows the offensive scheme, give him time. 2 years ago he was solid in preseason for a # 3.

Killian is a project, he needs time on the PS and NFLE......

Yes if Trent goes down, we better hope it's just a game or 2, hopefully in the middle of the year.

If it's any great amount of time... forget about it.

FTR, how many teams in the NFL has a # 3 QB that is NFL starting material. All NFL teams face the same problem as we have now.....

Wile_E_Coyote
08-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Quinn didn't have any INTs, though it was close. Sadly I believe he is the only backup to have starting experience in the last 5 seasons.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 11:05 PM
ding,ding,ding

T-post Tom
08-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Whitlock, Peterson & Jeff George are on a conference call right now. Whitlock is representing George and has agreed to be paid in Gates bbq sauce.

morphius
08-28-2005, 01:00 AM
It was very painful to watch Quinn out there. I didn't blame him for looking bad, but I was a bit pissed that the Vermeil and friends are more worried about hiding Killian on the PS then they are in giving him an actual chance to succeed.

keg in kc
08-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Hmm, I hadn't thought about the possibility of holding Killian out of games in order to "protect" him for the practice squad. I wonder. Seems a little 'cloak and dagger'.

SNR
08-28-2005, 01:08 AM
What's this about "hiding" Kilian like he's some sort of secret weapon?

We cut him, he clears the waivers, and we add him to the PS. Who in their right mind would steal him and put them on their active roster? Who?

morphius
08-28-2005, 01:10 AM
What's this about "hiding" Kilian like he's some sort of secret weapon?

We cut him, he clears the waivers, and we add him to the PS. Who in their right mind would steal him and put them on their active roster? Who?
I don't know, ask the Chiefs that. Its not the first time they have tried to hide a player, just look at what was reported about them trying to hide one of the LB's this offseason...

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Man this is great everybody else is pimping my player so I dont have to be like the Roys

Ninjaman
08-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Because he ain't Kyle Orton.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Damn, what you guys want, Superman as our # 3 QB ? Quinn just signed, he knows the offensive scheme, give him time. 2 years ago he was solid in preseason for a # 3.

Killian is a project, he needs time on the PS and NFLE......

Yes if Trent goes down, we better hope it's just a game or 2, hopefully in the middle of the year.

If it's any great amount of time... forget about it.

FTR, how many teams in the NFL has a # 3 QB that is NFL starting material. All NFL teams face the same problem as we have now.....
Good post. :thumb:

Frankie
08-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Keep f#@&ing doubting Quinn!

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Man this is great everybody else is pimping my player so I dont have to be like the Roys
Being like the Roys ain't so bad............................most of the time.

CosmicPal
08-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Kilian is not ready to run one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL yet. He was picked for the future, and will be placed on the practice squad in order to be groomed for the future.

Quinn is the best option we have to keep this offense going since he's been in the system before. Should, gawd forbid, something happen to both Green and Collins- Quinn will know enough of the offense to keep it going- not as efficiently, but at least enough that we can still score some points.

Therefore, Quinn needs all the playing time NOW. We liked what Killian can do, and we will keep him for the future, but it's more important to get your third stringer some reps in order to prepare for the season.

penchief
08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Kilian is not ready to run one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL yet. He was picked for the future, and will be placed on the practice squad in order to be groomed for the future.

I'm not sure that a young quarterback with a big upside will be there for our future if we place him on the practice squad.

When you look at all of the first-round busts at QB in the NFL almost any team would take a flyer on a young signal-caller that looks like a winner.

Rick
08-28-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure that a young quarterback with a big upside will be there for our future if we place him on the practice squad.

When you look at all of the first-round busts at QB in the NFL almost any team would take a flyer on a young signal-caller that looks like a winner.

I haven't seen that much upside to Killian and not everyone would jump at a 7th rounder on a practice squad. The knock on him out of college was his accuracy which doesn't set well with an passing offense based on timing. But on the other hand, all the rest of our back-ups suck (including Todd Collins or one of the other 31 teams in the NFL would have at least made him an offer when he was an unrestricted free agent)

Bowser
08-28-2005, 10:17 AM
I was wanting to see how the kid looked playing behind our #1 and #2 offensive players. The couple of times he has made it into the preseason, he's been running for his life.

Put a litttle talent around the kid, and see what he can do.

Coogs
08-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I have not read this whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned...

Maybe the coaches really like Kilian, and don't want him to be seen in game action so they can get him on the practice squad for a year.

chagrin
08-28-2005, 10:29 AM
"Yank that tool Quinn"

I don't know, that just read kinda funny

alanm
08-28-2005, 10:39 AM
I have not read this whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned...

Maybe the coaches really like Kilian, and don't want him to be seen in game action so they can get him on the practice squad for a year.
That's exactly what they are doing with Kilian. They don't want him to be seen at this point.

Marcellus
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I hope that Lamar is hiring an assistant to open doors for Trent, pick up hot things, carry him up stairs, etc. We can't take any risks with him.

I am taking a collection up to buy Trent a Volvo. Think we could get him to drive it?

Frankie
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM

The homer me wants to believe the "young quarterback with a big upside" phrase. Nothing would make me happier to see Kilian develop into another Brady in 3 years, in time to take the reigns from Trent. But the realistic me realizes that it's no more than pipe dreams right now based on the evidence so far. Sure, the guy has shown guts and adlibing ability (two very important ingredients for a starting QB), but the fact remains Kilian is 2 years away from being in a position to show us solid evidence of his "upside." Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, any team that takes him off of our PS has to place him on their 53 man roster. Therein lies the insurance against him being snatched.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 12:06 PM
I was wanting to see how the kid looked playing behind our #1 and #2 offensive players. The couple of times he has made it into the preseason, he's been running for his life.

Put a litttle talent around the kid, and see what he can do.
That I would like to see, for one series.

Bowser
08-28-2005, 12:08 PM
The homer me wants to believe the "young quarterback with a big upside" phrase. Nothing would make me happier to see Kilian develop into another Brady in 3 years, in time to take the reigns from Trent. But the realistic me realizes that it's no more than pipe dreams right now based on the evidence so far. Sure, the guy has shown guts and adlibing ability (two very important ingredients for a starting QB), but the fact remains Kilian is 2 years away from being in a position to show us solid evidence of his "upside." Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, any team that takes him off of our PS has to place him on their 53 man roster. Therein lies the insurance against him being snatched.

You're right about the practice squad, except we have the ability to activate him to our own 53 man squad before we let him go (just as we should have done with Ryan Lilja last year :shake: ).

Hopefully, we have "hidden" him well enough so that doesn't happen.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 12:13 PM
You're right about the practice squad, except we have the ability to activate him to our own 53 man squad before we let him go (just as we should have done with Ryan Lilja last year :shake: ).

Hopefully, we have "hidden" him well enough so that doesn't happen.
But can we then put him on our PS in a couple of weeks WITHOUT exposing him to waivers?

Bowser
08-28-2005, 12:15 PM
But can we then put him on our PS in a couple of weeks WITHOUT exposing him to waivers?

I don't think so. Players can't be automatically assigned to practice squads without first clearing waivers.

SNR
08-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I haven't seen that much upside to Killian and not everyone would jump at a 7th rounder on a practice squad. The knock on him out of college was his accuracy which doesn't set well with an passing offense based on timing. But on the other hand, all the rest of our back-ups suck (including Todd Collins or one of the other 31 teams in the NFL would have at least made him an offer when he was an unrestricted free agent)Nobody else in the NFL wanted to trade for Trent Green, either. Said a 1st-rounder was way too high.

What about Priest Holmes? We sure didn't get into a bidding war when we got him.

Just because NFL teams aren't interested in a player doesn't mean that player sucks. I'm glad to have Collins backing up Green. I can think of a lot worse situations out there.

Fairplay
08-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Keep f#@&ing doubting Quinn!

Oh im doubting him alright, im doubting him...

Fairplay
08-28-2005, 12:35 PM
snatch

Cool.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh im doubting him alright, im doubting him...
Them's fightin' words! :grr:

Fairplay
08-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Them's fightin' words! :grr:

You're fighting over the honor of Quinn how romantic.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 12:45 PM
You're fighting over the honor of Quinn how romantic.
ROFL
Can't help it. I'm a romantic kinda guy.

Saggysack
08-28-2005, 02:31 PM
For the love of god. Why do the Chiefs think they need 3 veteran QB's on the roster? I wish they would quit coddling these chumps that are just there to recieve a $500,000 paycheck and sit their ass on the bench for an entire season. Huard and Quinn both know they will never see the field outside of the preseason. And if they do, lord help us. Doesn't matter how many Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson's, Tony Gonzales's you have. You aren't going to win with those chumps. So why not give the 3rd string job to someone they don't know is a chump, yet.

I think Bill Parcell's says it best regarding 3rd string QB's. He doesn't care who they are because if his starting QB goes down, he is looking for another QB anyway. In otherwords, whoever the 3rd string QB is, is insignificant.

Frankie
09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Has Kilian signed with anybody? If not, do you think the Chiefs will sign him and send him to Europe after this season?