PDA

View Full Version : LJ's 97 yard TD was not THAT impressive

Jim Jones
08-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Ok, obviously it was a great run, obviously anytime a guy gets a 97 yard TD it's a huge play.

BUT.. he ran through a freaking mack truck sized hole. All the defenders who could have gotten to him were wiped out before they ever got near him. He basically ran a straight line from the time he got the ball to the time he got to the endzone. It was a great job of blocking.

I just think its stupid to have people calling for Priest to be benched because of this run. Priest proved last year that *when healthy* he is still the man. LJ definitely deserves a bigger role in the offense though.

beer bacon
08-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Priest would not have scored on that play. He would have been stopped after 20-30 yards.

Joe Seahawk
08-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Rookie middle linebacker Tatupu made a huge assignment mistake on that play, but it was very well blocked, and Larry has some good wheels..

Priest would have scored too though IMO.

stevieray
08-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Ok, obviously it was a great run, obviously anytime a guy gets a 97 yard TD it's a huge play.

BUT.. he ran through a freaking mack truck sized hole. All the defenders who could have gotten to him were wiped out before they ever got near him. He basically ran a straight line from the time he got the ball to the time he got to the endzone. It was a great job of blocking.

I just think its stupid to have people calling for Priest to be benched because of this run. Priest proved last year that *when healthy* he is still the man. LJ definitely deserves a bigger role in the offense though.

just say no to koolaid.

BigMeatballDave
08-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Priest would have scored on that play. He would have been stopped after 20-30 yards.This post is an oxy-moron...

beer bacon
08-27-2005, 11:55 PM
This post is an oxy-moron...

Typo. I changed my post. I meant he would not have scored, and would have been caught after 30 yards or so. Priest is quick, but he does not have the flat out speed that LJ does. Priest would have been caught by a DB eventually.

Phobia
08-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Nice post, JJ. I'll drink to that.

keg in kc
08-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Trufant couldn't make up any ground on LJ. Not even a step. That was what impressed me. Priest doesn't have that kind of speed. He never has. In a similar situation, he gets dragged down from behind about 60 yards down hill. We've seen it happen couple times - the playoff game against Indy where he was stripped, the play where he hurt his hip against Denver. I'm not saying he's slow, by any means, but LJ seems to have a gear that he doesn't.

The thing that's impressing me about LJ isn't characterized by that run, anyway, because, as you point out, it was a huge hole. No, it's the kind of vision and patience he's showing on other plays that stand out to me. He's beginning to do some of the same things Priest does. He's beginning to show that he can run all the running plays the offense utilizes, not just power runs. He's getting long gains on draws and offtackle or outside plays. He's looking a little like a bigger, faster version of Priest, in a way.

Either way, Priest is still the man. Although LJ needs to be a part of it. That much is clear by now. He just looks too good not to be a part of it.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Even without that run...LJ looked amazing tonight.

tk13
08-28-2005, 12:35 AM
just say no to koolaid.
ROFL I knew I was too late.

beer bacon
08-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Even without that run...LJ looked amazing tonight.

Even without the run he still would have had 8 carries for 50 yards. He also had that 15+ yarder that got called back.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Even without the run he still would have had 8 carries for 50 yards. He also had that 15+ yarder that got called back.
Indeed.

tk13
08-28-2005, 12:38 AM
I think Priest would've been caught on that run, but I think he can go faster than people are giving him credit for tonight. He had a couple 30 yard runs, had a 50 yard run after a screen pass last year. Priest isn't exactly a turtle out there.

jcroft
08-28-2005, 01:12 AM
That run awsn't what really impressed me about LJ tonight. It was the three or four OTHER 10+ yard runs where he showed a ton of vision. The 97 yarder was simple -- but his finishing speed was definitely impressive and definitely something Priest doesn't have.

I don't think LJ should be "the starter" in plae of Priest, but I do think that LJ ought to get about the same amount of carries as Priest.

One thing's for sure -- I'm not drafting Priest in the first round of my fantasy draft anymore. :)

morphius
08-28-2005, 01:17 AM
What exciting about LJ is that he hits the whole, decides if he is going to need to run through someone or just acelerate, and has the ability to do either.

As the others said, the 97 yard run was impressive because he hit the whole and nobody could catch him once he was loose. When he interviewed afterwards he said he was worried about Trufant catching him because he knows how fast he is.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 01:20 AM

F#ckin' noobs...

Rausch
08-28-2005, 01:32 AM
F#ckin' noobs...

Corey Dillon pW0ns his $#it...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Corey Dillon pW0ns his $#it...

F#ckin' Rausch...

Jim Jones
08-28-2005, 01:38 AM
F#ckin' noobs...

I guess if I had registered on this board a few years earlier, my vision would be improved and I'd be better able to evaluate the play.

You're a douchebag.

luv
08-28-2005, 01:39 AM
F#ckin' Rausch...
Not me.

tk13
08-28-2005, 01:40 AM
I guess if I had registered on this board a few years earlier, my vision would be improved and I'd be better able to evaluate the play.

You're a douchebag.
ROFL Cody OWNED by the newbie. That had to hurt.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 01:41 AM

You're a douchebag.

Give the gamefilm back to Titus when you're done, genious.

p.s...

I'M MESSING WITH YOU.

I'm poking fun at the whole "you're a "noob" thing." ;)

Rausch
08-28-2005, 01:41 AM
F#ckin' Rausch...

I live for these posts...

(Can I remember my girlfriend's birthday?

No, of course not.

Can I remember that this guy I know on the net was a Dillon pimp 4 years ago?

Yeah, of course...)

Sure-Oz
08-28-2005, 01:44 AM
That speed is ****in uncanny though, priest wouldve been caught at about 50 yards. LJ has impressed me with his runs last year easy, he is def. ready. It will be fun to watch them both go!

Rausch
08-28-2005, 01:44 AM
Not me.

On CP BJ's DO count as sex.

:)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Damn, when will people stop taking me seriously...ROFL

Sure-Oz
08-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Damn, when will people stop taking me seriously...ROFL
stfu n00b

luv
08-28-2005, 01:46 AM
On CP BJ's DO count as sex.

:)
Not retracting my statement.

:p

Jim Jones
08-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Give the gamefilm back to Titus when you're done, genious.

p.s...

I'M MESSING WITH YOU.

I'm poking fun at the whole "you're a "noob" thing." ;)

Oh ok, you aren't a douchebag then.

Priest is still the man though.

Demonpenz
08-28-2005, 01:48 AM
i still love ya priest. We ran you into the ground with 50 touches per game and wasted your talent on 8-8 seasons but thanks anyway

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Oh ok, you aren't a douchebag then.

Priest is still the man though.

That doesn't mean I'm not a douchebag, but I appreciate the nice words... ROFL ;)

Future reference...

When reading one of my posts, if you have the slightest idea that I might be messing around and not being serious....you're right, I'm not being serious. Don't doubt yourself. :)

Rausch
08-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Not retracting my statement.

:p

Wha'?...I thought we was friends!?! :cuss:

luv
08-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Nice avatar Jim Jones.

Titled "On My Way to Church" and there is a parental advisory notice. ROFL

luv
08-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Wha'?...I thought we was friends!?! :cuss:
You seriously want everyone else to know?

JimNasium
08-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Dammit Carl! :cuss:

htismaqe
08-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Yeah, a 6'2" 230lb HB outrunning an entire team, including Marcus Trufant...

Not that impressive.

:rolleyes:

WisChief
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
I didn't read the whole thread - is this guy a friend of Joe's?

Thig Lyfe
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Very solid points, JJ. I think Priest would have scored, too.

i still love ya priest. We ran you into the ground with 50 touches per game and wasted your talent on 8-8 seasons but thanks anyway

Alas, you are right. Priest has been waaay overworked. That doesn't change the fact that he's the best RB in the NFL over the last 4 years.

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Damned n00b. You don't "waste things" on the Planet, you "piss them away".

Saul Good
08-28-2005, 09:37 AM
My favorite thing about LJ is that, when he gets into the secondary, he's looking to maul the DBs. They don't want anything to do with him. Did anyone else notice that, after running over tacklers, LJ would stand over them? It's like he takes the fact that people want to stop him personally. It's great.

bringbackmarty
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
It looked like if the field was 150 yds long trufant wouldhave caught up. But what was so beautiful about that play was lj's ability to jump all over a simple mistake, (albeit a huge one) and take it to the endzone from 97 yds away.

Tuckdaddy
08-28-2005, 10:06 AM
No way Priest gets caught on that run. Anyone that thinks so has forgotten the speed Priest still has. All any RB would have to do is cut to the right and the DB would not catch them.

jiveturkey
08-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Every 97 yard TD run is impressive regarless of who it is and what team it's against.

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 10:42 AM
In Priest's hundreds of carries, he has found himself in similar situations as LJ many times. Yet I don't remember him breaking a single one. Priest would have gotten about to midfield and no farther.