PDA

View Full Version : SMS Officially changes to Missouri St.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Changed over at midnight.

Go Bears.

http://photos22.flickr.com/37811713_ffdb5ed37e.jpg
http://photos29.flickr.com/37812136_d57cfb939d.jpg?v=0

luv
08-28-2005, 12:53 AM
I have such fond memories of the time I spent at SMS. I was in the TV room at the student union when OJ was found not guilty. You should have seen the money exchanging hands. ROFL I guess now I'll have to get used to saying MSU. Just not the same. :shake:

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 12:55 AM
You should have seen the money exchanging hands.
ROFL

LiL stumppy
08-28-2005, 01:02 AM
I thought that happened along time ago...

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 01:03 AM
I thought that happened along time ago...
It wasn't official...it was voted on and annouced a while ago.

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Pretty cool deal they had tonight on campus. Its pretty awesome to say Missouri State now.

Crush
08-28-2005, 01:50 AM
woooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luv
08-28-2005, 01:51 AM
There are a bunch of young'uns on here, aren't there?

chappy
08-28-2005, 01:53 AM
what was it?

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 01:54 AM
what was it?
Southwest Missouri St.

luv
08-28-2005, 01:55 AM
what was it?
Southwest Missouri State University is now Missouri State University.

chappy
08-28-2005, 01:57 AM
oh sounds alot better now imo

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Pretty cool deal they had tonight on campus.
It was a pretty good time.

http://photos33.flickr.com/37822889_4f56fe849e.jpg?v=0
http://photos27.flickr.com/37823173_1b4aca0024.jpg?v=0 http://photos33.flickr.com/37823358_20c1e12180.jpg?v=0

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2005, 02:11 AM
Even though the new logo looks like it was made in PhotoShop using Americana font.

gblowfish
08-28-2005, 08:49 AM
So, how long before K-State schedules you for football?

jAZ
08-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Smart Marketing Decision on their part...

Was it always the "2nd" school in the state (by size or reputation or something)?

Because it is officially that now, if by nothing else but name.

Smart, smart move.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 01:36 PM
A second rate university by any other name...

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 01:41 PM
A second rate university by any other name...
Does this mean SMS no longer sucks?

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm sure that's what they think.

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 02:31 PM
It'll always be SMS to me...

And I won't be voting for Matt Blunt in '08, simply because of this.He and his Springfield cronies pushed this through. This state can't even properly fund one "big" state university, let alone two.

Question for those of you going to SMS:
Did your leaders tell you to support this because it would bring in more money for the school?

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2005, 02:46 PM
It'll always be SMS to me...

And I won't be voting for Matt Blunt in '08, simply because of this.He and his Springfield cronies pushed this through. This state can't even properly fund one "big" state university, let alone two.

Question for those of you going to SMS:
Did your leaders tell you to support this because it would bring in more money for the school?

You MU people still bitching and moaning about it.

BigRedChief
08-28-2005, 02:47 PM

Hey I went to Missouri State U for about a year and a half. It's also in the town I grew up in bub. Just because its not as big as as cool as MU or KU doesn't mean it sucks.

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I'll "bitch and moan" about it all I want. Hey, I'm a fourth-generation MU graduate. Gotta protect the alma mater.

But realistically, the state doesn't have the money to keep MU at the level it's at while also giving Springfield enough to bring it up to the level it should be at to be called a "state" school.

Add to that the fact that MU used to be known as "Missouri State," and its nickname is "Mizzou" (where do you think that came from?), and there's bound to be national confusion about "Mizzou" and MSU.

So it was just a stupid move, in my opinion.

luv
08-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I'll "bitch and moan" about it all I want. Hey, I'm a fourth-generation MU graduate. Gotta protect the alma mater.

But realistically, the state doesn't have the money to keep MU at the level it's at while also giving Springfield enough to bring it up to the level it should be at to be called a "state" school.

Add to that the fact that MU used to be known as "Missouri State," and its nickname is "Mizzou" (where do you think that came from?), and there's bound to be national confusion about "Mizzou" and MSU.

So it was just a stupid move, in my opinion.
If it's getting all it's money from the state, where did my tuition money go to? It's good to have pride in your alma mater, but what are you protecting? Just because MSU might give MU a run for it's money? Awwwww.... I like friendly competition.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Just because MSU might give MU a run for it's money?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure what it is at Springfield, but at MU tuition only covers something like 33 percent of education costs for each student.

The rest of the money comes from the state.

As for what I'm protecting, how about the ability to retain good staff, improve programs and keep facilities on par with other institutions. Those are usually the first things to suffer when the state has less money to go around.

And for Springfield to improve itself to the point where it's on the same level as other "state" institutions, it's going to need money to add degree/research programs. That's got to come from somewhere, and they sure as heck can't get it all out of tuition.

Even if I hadn't gone to Mizzou, I'd feel this way.

Competition? Talk to me when you have a D-I football team.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 05:48 PM
MSU really happen. This moves allows MSU to expand a lot of its graduate programs and offer more as a school to the students. It will help the growing trend of the quality of students at MSU.

MU has some to lose by this and they have a right to bitch. But MSU isn't around to fight for the intrests of the University of Missouri. SMS has outgrown its multidirection regional type name...the school didn't reflect its name and thats why this change has come about.

HemiEd
08-28-2005, 06:10 PM
MSU really happen. This moves allows MSU to expand a lot of its graduate programs and offer more as a school to the students. It will help the growing trend of the quality of students at MSU.

Congrats to MSU, it should help them as described. I remember when WU became WSU, my alma mater. State money is good for schools of this size.

luv
08-28-2005, 06:20 PM

MU has some to lose by this and they have a right to bitch. But MSU isn't around to fight for the intrests of the University of Missouri. SMS has outgrown its multidirection regional type name...the school didn't reflect its name and thats why this change has come about.
Exactly. SMS was not just Springfield. It wasn't even just SW. There are campuses as far SE as West Plains that I can think of. I live in Springfield, and if it will do good for the community as well as the students, then I am all for it.

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 06:27 PM
See Zach, that's where my biggest problem lies. The "official" stance of SMS was that they weren't going to expand graduate programs. They weren't going to start looking for more money from the state. They flat-out lied... that's what was being said on the Senate floor.

And when Elson Floyd didn't smile and say yes immediately, Blunt threatened to withhold tens of millions of dollars from MU if Floyd didn't bend over.

Matt Blunt can go to hell... or back to Springfield.

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 06:34 PM
So, how long before K-State schedules you for football?
No need..we already beat the stuffin out of a D I-AA calibur football team from Missouri once a year.

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Hey I went to Missouri State U for about a year and a half. It's also in the town I grew up in bub. Just because its not as big as as cool as MU or KU doesn't mean it sucks.
BFD. It sucks and always has.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 06:54 PM
See Zach, that's where my biggest problem lies. The "official" stance of SMS was that they weren't going to expand graduate programs. They weren't going to start looking for more money from the state. They flat-out lied... that's what was being said on the Senate floor.

And when Elson Floyd didn't smile and say yes immediately, Blunt threatened to withhold tens of millions of dollars from MU if Floyd didn't bend over.

Bah, MU was well....wellllll compensated for the change.

You guys also have exclusive rights to a lot of graduate programs. Excuse me if I have trouble shedding a tear for poor lil ol MU in this situation.

luv
08-28-2005, 07:03 PM

What exactly do you have a problem with? The name change, Matt Blunt, or Springfield? Are you saying that MU should have exclusive rights to offering graduate programs just so it can get all the money from the state? Sounds like this might hit your alma mater where it really hurts...it's checkbook. Is that all you care about? What about students at other universities around the state as well. Something happens that could better the education of thousands of students and MU gets bent out of shape cuz it might lose a little money?

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 07:04 PM
I really don't remember when they said they were not going to expand graduate programs...around here that was the big idea all along. :hmmm:

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I have a problem with the name change and with Matt Blunt. I have no problem with Springfield... it's a nice little town.

Basically, here's what I didn't/don't like:
1) The school (in Springfield) was less than truthful about what its plans were. (They said, "our current status deserves the title. we don't want anything more.")
2) There isn't enough money to go around. Neither school is going to be happy.

As for defending Mizzou:

As I've said, it was our name first. That's why our nickname is what it is.

And I fully intend to send my kids to MU (gotta keep the family tradition alive), so I want it to be in as good of shape as possible when they do go there.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 08:27 PM
1) The school (in Springfield) was less than truthful about what its plans were. (They said, "our current status deserves the title. we don't want anything more.")

Link?

Yellowbutter72
08-28-2005, 08:27 PM
The pictures of MSU are great! I got my Master's degree there! I also go to classes there every summer! It is a GREAT university!

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Duncan, I think your anger may be misplaced...

Early this morning, Floyd and SMS President John Keiser agreed to limits on the Springfield institution that UM requested.

The newly named MSU could offer engineering and professional programs only in cooperation with UM, unless the Columbia-based university declined. Then, MSU could offer its own degree or seek cooperation with another institution, with the approval of the state Coordinating Board for Higher Education.

MSU could not duplicate UM programs to train medical doctors, veterinarians, lawyers, architects and other professionals.

The measure also says the Springfield university could not receive additional state funding based solely on the name change.

Floyd reportedly faxed the language to members of the University of Missouri Board of Curators around 3 a.m. and was still trying to reach some of them by telephone after 4 a.m.

http://www.news-leader.com/springfield/specialreports/sms_namechange/20050216-DealstruckSenat.html

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 08:55 PM
When I was at UMR it was common to make jokes at the expense of MU engineers. Cause, y'know, UMR engineers are far superior. Once word gets to Rolla that there's another academic institution of the caliber of MU, I'm sure they'll be all over making fun of MO-State engineers.

I'm sure your school of law is top notch, too. How's the med school?

To be perfectly honest, I went to www.missouristate.edu to read about the college of engineering, school of law, and school of medicine, but when I clicked the link that read "Colleges and Departments" the result page said this:

Error 404

We're sorry, but we were unable to find the page you requested:

http://www.missouristate.edu/departments.asp

Please try the following options:

* Verify you typed the correct web address, or URL (Uniform Resource Locator).
* Use the Missouri State search site to search for the content you wish to access.

Please email Web Services if this problem persists.

In any event, I'm sure the Board of Curators is quaking in their boots at this stiff competition from an obviously equal academic institution.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 08:59 PM
The measure also says the Springfield university could not receive additional state funding based solely on the name change.

I remember that. I don't think that stipulation lasts long. Either that, or Mo-State won't. Growth requires money. duncan_idaho is right to be concerned. luv2rite's perspective is skewed. MU isn't a corporation trying to turn a big profit for shareholders. When their checkbook takes a hit, the quality of the educational opportunities suffers. Try to spread a dollar amount X too thin, and the quality across the board takes a hit.

Is there enough money to go around for two premier universities? Or, is there enough to support one good university or two substandard ones. Time will tell, I suppose.

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Is there enough money to go around for two premier universities? Or, is there enough to support one good university or two substandard ones. Time will tell, I suppose.
I don't see why not. Kansas supports 3.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't see why not. Kansas supports 3.
Since when?

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Heh, seriously though, Saul. Which university are you placing on the level of KU and K-State?

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Heh, seriously though, Saul. Which university are you placing on the level of KU and K-State?
Wichita State. Its a bit smaller than MSU IIRC.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:18 PM
I remember that. I don't think that stipulation lasts long. Either that, or Mo-State won't. Growth requires money. duncan_idaho is right to be concerned. luv2rite's perspective is skewed. MU isn't a corporation trying to turn a big profit for shareholders. When their checkbook takes a hit, the quality of the educational opportunities suffers. Try to spread a dollar amount X too thin, and the quality across the board takes a hit.

If MSU is not receiving more money, what is the fuss about? Why would MSU go under simply because of a change in name? SMS was doing just fine (as far as I know). What would make it suddenly go under?

Can't we all just get along? :p

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Did you even read my post?

Maybe I should try using smaller words. I am talking to a MO-State student here.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a problem with the name change and with Matt Blunt. I have no problem with Springfield... it's a nice little town.

2) There isn't enough money to go around. Neither school is going to be happy.

As for defending Mizzou:

As I've said, it was our name first. That's why our nickname is what it is.

And I fully intend to send my kids to MU (gotta keep the family tradition alive), so I want it to be in as good of shape as possible when they do go there.
Isn't it called the University of Missouri now? MSU may have been that univerity's name first, but it changed. As did SMSU's.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:21 PM

Maybe I should try using smaller words. I am talking to a MO-State student here.
I was an SMS student for about a half a semester. Then life happened.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Oh no. Even worse. A dropout.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:23 PM

I may be ignorant, but I am not stupid. And yes, I know the difference.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh no. Even worse. A dropout.
So? Does that make me the scum of the earth? A bottom dweller in education? I may not be a genious like you, but I graduated high school with a 3.75 GPA.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
My dog could graduate high school w/ a 3.75. I'm fairly certain he could get a bachelor's in English from Mo-State as well.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:34 PM
My dog could graduate high school w/ a 3.75. I'm fairly certain he could get a bachelor's in English from Mo-State as well.
So you're basically saying your dog is smarter than me. All I did was ask a freakin' question. Some people...

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
So you're basically saying your dog is smarter than me. All I did was ask a freakin' question. Some people...
No, no... not just you. ALL MO-Staters.

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
My dog eats his own poop.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:37 PM
My dog eats his own poop.
See, he's already smarter than a college student. Dog poop tastes roughly as good as Ramen and it's free!

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
endelt has hit my concern in a nutshell. No need to explain that further...

Saul:

Kansas has toll roads, and it doesn't have two huge cities sucking up so much of the state's tax money.

luv
No, no... not just you. ALL MO-Staters.
There was also the issue of finances. SMS was cheap. And it was close to home. Like I said there were some things going on in life.

Saulbadguy
:rolleyes:

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Finances, schminances. I know the truth. The kids at SMS are there because that's where the short bus dropped 'em off Monday morning.

Hell, half of them thought they were going on a field trip to the zoo.

"We're gonna see bears?!?!?"

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, at least UMR has academics smack sewn up.

duncan_idaho
08-28-2005, 09:43 PM
well, endelt, I will say one thing in defense of SMS:
Hey, at least they girls there. Not like we do at MU, but at least better than Rolla.

Of course, Rolla is the best engineering school in the state, so it's got that going for it.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Finances, schminances. I know the truth. The kids at SMS are there because that's where the short bus dropped 'em off Monday morning.

Hell, half of them thought they were going on a field trip to the zoo.

"We're gonna see bears?!?!?"
Has anyone ever told you--I know I have--has anyone else ever told you that you're an ass? :p

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Well, at least UMR has academics smack sewn up.
Hey, man, we OWN Upper Iowa University.

Course, if UMR really wants to run some football smack, Warrensburg is a short drive away.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey, at least they girls there. Not like we do at MU, but at least better than Rolla.

Of course, Rolla is the best engineering school in the state, so it's got that going for it.
Those SMS girls drive up to Rolla every March to f*ck guys like me.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Has anyone ever told you--I know I have--has anyone else ever told you that you're an ass? :p
Mom always told me to go with my strengths.

luv
08-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Those SMS girls drive up to Rolla every March to f*ck guys like me.
It was St Patty's day, and they were DRUNK. Even you engineering nerds looked good. lol

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 09:48 PM

Indeed, your defense has been reduced to that.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:49 PM
It was St Patty's day, and they were DRUNK. Even you engineering nerds looked good. lol
If it wasn't for drunk girls I'd never get laid.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Heh... speaking of girls. I remember there was this other college... Covey College? Something like that. Anyway, it was an all girls school, I guess. They used to send fliers to UMR fraternity houses that essentially amounted to, "Hey, come party in our town. There's all kinds of girls here!"

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2005, 10:28 PM
MU and MO State will both benefit from this in the long run. How its set up if MO State wants some new graduate programs like Law etc. MU will get comsentated for it.

Actually the program that MO State should try to get is architecture, since MU or no public school in Missouri offers it. Also I say a med school would be the only major one from MU that MO State could use that would beneift everybody in the state.

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 10:28 PM
MU and MO State will both benefit from this in the long run. How its set up if MO State wants some new graduate programs like Law etc. MU will get comsentated for it.

Actually the program that MO State should try to get is architecture, since MU or no public school in Missouri offers it. Also I say a med school would be the only major one from MU that MO State could use that would beneift everybody in the state.
Drury would shit of MSU offered architecture.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Drury would shit of MSU offered architecture.
Drury? Who f*cking cares about them? I'm not terribly concerned about DeVry's opinion of UMR's programs either.