PDA

View Full Version : 'Rome' begins tonight

keg in kc
08-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Just a heads-up for anyone who might be interested.

HBO. 8 pm central.

Bowser
08-28-2005, 11:56 AM
How many times you think they'll say "c@cksucker"?

stevieray
08-28-2005, 11:56 AM

ROFL

Douche Baggins
08-28-2005, 11:58 AM

If I remember my history, quite a few Romans were quite LITERALLY, c0cksuckers.

Baby Lee
08-28-2005, 12:00 PM
The $64 question is, will it measure up to the likes of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Deadwood. That's a pretty high standard.
By the way, for those who weren't aware, Deadwood fans owe Rome a debt of gratitude. Milch's original idea was to set the meta-stories of Deadwood in Roman times, but HBO said "errr, we already have something in that vein."

On a related note, gotta say I'm still in a daze from the ending of SFU. For the longest, SFU was the 'well, since it's on' stepchild of the HBO family for me. I liked it all right, but it didn't resonate with me. More titillation and humor with the wierd deaths. But they REALLY stepped it up a notch in the last half of this final season, bringing to fruition the payoff of what they'd set up over the years. All the drama of Nate and his death was a fever breaking, allowing all those hemmed in by his narcissism to finally get on with their lives. And the ending montage was the most satisfying ending to a series ever.

Bowser
08-28-2005, 12:00 PM
If I remember my history, quite a few Romans were quite LITERALLY, c0cksuckers.

Your recall on historical gayness is amazing.

keg in kc
08-28-2005, 12:08 PM
The $64 question is, will it measure up to the likes of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Deadwood. That's a pretty high standard.I think I read somewhere that they put the show into hiatus after the first three episodes were produced because there were some concerns over the quality. Apparently they're pretty good, but maybe not good enough. It'll be interesting to see if there's a disparity between those three episodes and the rest of the series.

As for SFU, I never watched it for the same reason I never watched OZ: I can't stomach the scenes depicting homosexuality. I'm all for people having the freedom to choose the lifestyle, but I'm not at all interested in watching it. There were a couple of scenes with Omar on The Wire that made me cringe and want to turn the dial, too.

I'm hoping we don't have many "do you like gladiator movies?" moments...

nomad
08-28-2005, 12:09 PM
HuH? Jim Rome's gay...... can't say I'm one bit suprised to finally hear it.

Demonpenz
08-28-2005, 12:11 PM
the dude got caught smokin the hippie lettuce in his sled and then he calls his coach a melon head... great melon head. What next he goes all orenthal on his wife. Melon head.. someone find that mizzou post

Baby Lee
08-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I think I read somewhere that they put the show into hiatus after the first three episodes were produced because there were some concerns over the quality. Apparently they're pretty good, but maybe not good enough. It'll be interesting to see if there's a disparity between those three episodes and the rest of the series.

As for SFU, I never watched it for the same reason I never watched OZ: I can't stomach the scenes depicting homosexuality. I'm all for people having the freedom to choose the lifestyle, but I'm not at all interested in watching it. There were a couple of scenes with Omar on The Wire that made me cringe and want to turn the dial, too.
There was a good bit of promiscuous stuff early on, when David and Keith were just a couple of gay guys out for action, but in the past couple of seasons, Alan Ball has steered them towards a portrayal of a loving longterm couple, and they adopted a pair of brothers this season, so the mansechs has been muted.
I'm kind of on the fence, I constantly recommend Deadwood to my parents, even though it's a sexing and cursing affront to their sensibilities, because the story is just that good. SFU turned out in the end to be that good, when considered as a whole. But I don't think I'd recommend my parents devote themselves to living through the whole five years, just for the payoff.
I guess I just found it relatable. The Fischers was a fugged up family, more fugged up than mine in most all respects. But when the end came, and you got to see that people got some resolution, and 'fever'
broke, and they found meaning in their lives over the years, it hit me, I'd love to have that. To KNOW that the relatives I do worry about will eventually get their sh!t together, what a relief that would be.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Just a heads-up for anyone who might be interested.

HBO. 8 pm central.
Can I get HBO TODAY?!!!

Braincase
09-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Remember the smokin' hot redhead from "Patriot Games"? Reason alone to watch the first episode... DAMN!

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 08:19 PM
:Lin: :loser:

rome sucks

Miles
09-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Just got caught up on the first three episodes. Pretty badass show so far. Solid writing and acting with some good action sequences plus the occasional naked hot chick.

Frankie
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Is Rome a series or a mini-series. If the latter, then do you know how many episodes?

keg in kc
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
12-episode series.

I'm not sure why, but the 3rd episode (which premeires Sunday) is available on HBO on demand, so I caught it last night, as well.

I think they retooled the series after the first three episodes. It was decent so far, but not up to par with shows like the sopranos or the wire. JMO of course...

Calcountry
09-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Phelps says, Rome is Burning.

Dirtywater
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I've seen the first 6 episodes already and stick with it, it gets better. You are correct about the 3 episode shooting hiatus too.

The cliffhanger after 6 is crazy too. I love the show.

Donger
09-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Remember the smokin' hot redhead from "Patriot Games"? Reason alone to watch the first episode... DAMN!

Her name's Polly Walker. Does she get naked?

BTW, did you know she's almost 40?

keg in kc
09-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Her name's Polly Walker. Does she get naked?

BTW, did you know she's almost 40?Yeah. 39 I think. Definitely the ultra-rare exception to the rule.