PDA

View Full Version : Buy gas today

alnorth
08-28-2005, 03:02 PM
10% of all oil we consume in the US is produced in the gulf region. Every oil rig in the gulf is shut down and could sustain massive damage. In addition to that, we apparently have refineries in the N.O. areas that could be put out of comission. Finally, fully half of all oil we import from foreign sources is brought into the country through the ports in Louisiana.

You dont like gas prices now? Wait a week or two.

chiefqueen
08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't think you'll have wait a week IMO.........prices will skyrocket by Wed. at the latest.

DJay23
08-28-2005, 03:28 PM
The thing I don't get is that there have been hurricanes in the gulf before and even hitting Louisiana (maybe not NO directly) and I don't recall the prices going to ass-rape levels. why all of sudden do they now?

alnorth
08-28-2005, 03:31 PM
The thing I don't get is that there have been hurricanes in the gulf before and even hitting Louisiana (maybe not NO directly) and I don't recall the prices going to ass-rape levels. why all of sudden do they now?

The oil rigs were built to withstand mere mortal hurricanes, not Cat 5 beasts.

The lost oil production would be the least of our concerns, our national strategic oil reserve could replace the lost oil in the gulf for about 1 year. What is a much bigger concern is the likelihood that our oil refineries in South Louisiana and Mississippi could be destroyed, we already have too few of them. In addition to that, New Orleans is our major port of entry for oil shipments.

Phobia
08-28-2005, 03:33 PM
New Orleans is a major port of entry for petroleum products.

This storm is quickly becoming the storm of the century. It's gonna be bad. Real bad.

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 03:33 PM
What?
Me?
Oh don't mind me. I'm just hanging out, waiting for the first political reply to your question and keeping track of how long it takes this thread to move to the DC Forum because of it.

siberian khatru
08-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Anybody see the documentary on Discovery Channel or one of those informative cable channels about a Cat. 5 cane that hits N.O., wiping out the Gulf oil industry, strengthening the hand of the Mideast and South American oil states, plunging the U.S. economy into depression and consequently dragging the world economy with it? They predicted food shortages, riots, etc.

It was quite apocalyptic, and clearly the worst of worse-case scenarios. But still, it all started with a hurricane just like this. Fascinating stuff.

alnorth
08-28-2005, 03:59 PM
The TV just reported that the hurricane is on track to slam into 9 major oil refineries. Even if we release the strategic oil reserve, we may lose our ability to convert oil into gasoline fast enough to meet demand.

All you older people who went through gas rationing in the 70's... refresh our memories, how did that work again?

memyselfI
08-28-2005, 04:01 PM

The answer to that question will send this thread straight to the DC forum...

thus, I'll just say 'gosh, I dunno.'

memyselfI
08-28-2005, 04:01 PM
What?
Me?
Oh don't mind me. I'm just hanging out, waiting for the first political reply to your question and keeping track of how long it takes this thread to move to the DC Forum because of it.

baha, great minds think alike. :p Just saw your response.

chefsos
08-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Scary quote from ABC News special report: "If there was such a thing as a category 6, this storm would probably qualify."

BigOlChiefsfan
08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aF9SxgEvDm.Y&refer=home

memyselfI
08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Scary quote from ABC News special report: "If there was such a thing as a category 6, this storm would probably qualify."

OK, I think this is going way overboard. How much of this is legitimate scare tactics and how much is sensationalizing a situation? I know it's important to warn people and to prepare people for the worst but at some point this becomes irresponsible speculation...

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 04:13 PM
The TV just reported that the hurricane is on track to slam into 9 major oil refineries. Even if we release the strategic oil reserve, we may lose our ability to convert oil into gasoline fast enough to meet demand.

All you older people who went through gas rationing in the 70's... refresh our memories, how did that work again?
Well, you wait in line to buy gas until the man comes out with the "Out of Gas" sign. Then you go find another line to wait in. I owned 2 gas stations during the "shortage" and I didn't wait.

DJay23
08-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Didn't realize how bad the storm was. That all makes some sense. Sucks to be us I guess.

stevieray
08-28-2005, 04:15 PM
OK, I think this is going way overboard. How much of this is legitimate scare tactics and how much is sensationalizing a situation? I know it's important to warn people and to prepare people for the worst but at some point this becomes irresponsible speculation...

This pretty much defines your time spent here.

DJay23
08-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Of course it sucks much worse to be in NO right now. Hope everyone gets the hell out of there.

Sure-Oz
08-28-2005, 04:19 PM
goodluck to those in the path, thats scary shit

chefsos
08-28-2005, 04:19 PM

I don't remember much about '73, but I worked at a service station in '79:

Deliveries cut by +/-50%. Even with that, scheduled deliveries were uncertain.

Out of gas within hours of said delivery; we closed at noon often.

Long lines waiting to get to pumps.

Odd/even plan- odd # lic. plates could fuel on odd # days, etc.

Prices jumped, but not nearly to today's levels.

Dartgod
08-28-2005, 04:20 PM
This pretty much defines your time spent here.
Yeah, I laughed when I read that too.

alnorth
08-28-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't remember much about '73, but I worked at a service station in '79:

Deliveries cut by +/-50%. Even with that, scheduled deliveries were uncertain.

Out of gas within hours of said delivery; we closed at noon often.

Long lines waiting to get to pumps.

Odd/even plan- odd # lic. plates could fuel on odd # days, etc.

Prices jumped, but not nearly to today's levels.

Well, I have to correct one popular misconception. The price of gas during the 70's, when adjusted for inflation, was higher than today. The average american had to work longer to earn the money needed to buy a gallon of gas than they do today.

Of course after this, we may have to see if that holds true.

DJay23
08-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Well, I have to correct one popular misconception. The price of gas during the 70's, when adjusted for inflation, was higher than today. The average american had to work longer to earn the money needed to buy a gallon of gas than they do today.

With clothes like that, I would have stayed home anyway.

Iowanian
08-28-2005, 04:28 PM
I still don't understand WHY there aren't more refineries....there is obviously demand.

The same Oil companies that won't build those, and their lobbyists are fighting alot of the ethynol and Soy Deisel plants planned in Iowa.....as well as insurance and stuff to allow the 85% ethynol to be sold mainstream in Iowa.

I wish the Govt would use some closed bases, to build refineries, owned BY the govt, which would also create jobs.

chefsos
08-28-2005, 04:29 PM

I don't know the numbers, but I would agree that this is true. Gas hit $1/gal then, and I was making maybe $2.50/hr.

Donger
08-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I still don't understand WHY there aren't more refineries....there is obviously demand.

The same Oil companies that won't build those, and their lobbyists are fighting alot of the ethynol and Soy Deisel plants planned in Iowa.....as well as insurance and stuff to allow the 85% ethynol to be sold mainstream in Iowa.

I wish the Govt would use some closed bases, to build refineries, owned BY the govt, which would also create jobs.

Three main reasons: they would not be profitable for quite some time, there are tremendous red-tape issues, and "not in my backyard!" issues.

FYI, Bush proposed building new refineries on closed bases, as you suggest, in the recent energy bill.

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 04:33 PM

This one is easy to answer. It's the ever popular, "Not in MY backyard!" syndrome. There used to be a refinery in Sugar Creek, which is not too far from Kansas City. As soon as reports of leaks into the ground, causing contamination, which in turn, allegedly sprouted a disproportionate number of cancer victims, the EPA stepped in and shut that bad boy down. No one wants a cancer factory/environmental hazard in their backyard. Allegedly.

DJay23
08-28-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't know the numbers, but I would agree that this is true. Gas hit $1/gal then, and I was making maybe $2.50/hr.
well if you compare gas/gallon to minimum wage, a gallon of gas is more than half of $5.15 (that's still the minimum wage right?).

Donger
08-28-2005, 04:34 PM

It is. Adjusted for inflation, gas needs to reach about $3 a gallon to reach the 70s level.

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 04:35 PM
and "not in my backyard!" issues.
BAM! Give that Englishman a crumpet and a cup of tea!

Donger
08-28-2005, 04:36 PM
BAM! Give that Englishman a crumpet and a cup of tea!

Ex-Englishman, if you please.

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Ex-Englishman, if you please.
As you wish ...

BAM! Give that Ex-Englishman a crumpet and a cup of tea. :D

Pitt Gorilla
08-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Why the F*ck are they fighting the ethynol and biodiesel plants? You'd think they'd want a piece of that pie. Tell Iowa to kick some ass, Iowanian.

Braincase
08-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Anybody see the documentary on Discovery Channel or one of those informative cable channels about a Cat. 5 cane that hits N.O., wiping out the Gulf oil industry, strengthening the hand of the Mideast and South American oil states, plunging the U.S. economy into depression and consequently dragging the world economy with it? They predicted food shortages, riots, etc.

It was quite apocalyptic, and clearly the worst of worse-case scenarios. But still, it all started with a hurricane just like this. Fascinating stuff.

No, but if you find out what it was called and when it's on again, lemme know.

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 04:44 PM
This is just like that FX movie, "Oil Storm"

nomad
08-28-2005, 04:56 PM
As if the oils companies need a valid reason to justify another price hike.

Why are the oil companies enjoying all time record profits???

Because they can, because they have the backing of ex-oil man George Bush.

Made worse by Bush's decision it invade Iraq.

Out here in California, refineries shut down for weeks to modify thier production to meet seasonal mix requirements causing planned shortages which result in speculation and further price hikes.

Maybe with some of that cash in an extrodinary good will effort.....(LOL!) the oil compainies would increase and upgrade their refining capabilities.

You realize when Bush's teunure is done and the damage is done, he's going to slip into a lucrative oil job and never look back.

Phobia
08-28-2005, 05:05 PM
You realize when Bush's teunure is done and the damage is done, he's going to slip into a lucrative oil job and never look back.

You realize you're retarded? Do you know how much a former president makes just sitting on his ass? Why would ANY of them ever work another day in their lives? Wow. I'm not even defending Bush here. I'm saying that you're not thinking.

Dartgod
08-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Out here in California, refineries shut down for weeks to modify thier production to meet seasonal mix requirements causing planned shortages which result in speculation and further price hikes.

Maybe with some of that cash in an extrodinary good will effort.....(LOL!) the oil compainies would increase and upgrade their refining capabilities.

And there it is. I'm surprised it took 35 posts to blame this hurricane on Bush.

Moving to the DC forum in 5...4...3...2...1...

alnorth
08-28-2005, 05:11 PM
God, just send this thread to DC now, I only wanted to help some fellow Planeteers save a few bucks on gas. Apparently those few souls who have dedicated their lives, sanity, and ability to think towards mindless robotic Bush-hatred are starting to blame a gas shortage caused by an act of God all on Bush. :rolleyes:

gblowfish
08-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Since this discussion has been moved to the DC Forum:

I have a couple thoughts. Nobody can blame an act of God like this on any one person (ex. "W"), but there will certainly be tons of political finger pointing if this thing gets catastrophic.

The oil companies have been making record profits the past few years, and have cut refining capacity on purpose to drive demand and drive profit. If this hurricane takes out eight or nine refineries and disrupts dowloading supertankers from Venezuela, it will be a big political issue for the entire country. It could even (potentially) bring back wartime gas rationing.

Also, the war in Iraq does have a bearing on this scenario. The government has dedicated funds to re-build Baghdad, that (ironically) were re-directed from hurricane readiness in Louisiana. So the big picture becomes interesting. Here's the story:

New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers faces
Deon Roberts

In fiscal year 2006, the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is bracing for a record $71.2 million reduction in federal funding.

It would be the largest single-year funding loss ever for the New Orleans district, Corps officials said.

I've been here over 30 years and I've never seen this level of reduction, said Al Naomi, project manager for the New Orleans district. I think part of the problem is it's not so much the reduction, it's the drastic reduction in one fiscal year. It's the immediacy of the reduction that I think is the hardest thing to adapt to.

There is an economic ripple effect, too. The cuts mean major hurricane and flood protection projects will not be awarded to local engineering firms. Also, a study to determine ways to protect the region from a Category 5 hurricane has been shelved for now.

Money is so tight the New Orleans district, which employs 1,300 people, instituted a hiring freeze last month on all positions. The freeze is the first of its kind in about 10 years, said Marcia Demma, chief of the Corps' Programs Management Branch.

Stephen Jeselink, interim commander of the New Orleans Corps district, told employees in an internal e-mail dated May 25 that the district is experiencing financial challenges. Execution of our available funds must be dealt with through prudent districtwide management decisions. In addition to a hiring freeze, Jeselink canceled the annual Corps picnic held every June.

Congress is setting the Corps budget.

The House of Representatives wants to cut the New Orleans district budget 21 percent to $272.4 million in 2006, down from $343.5 million in 2005. The House figure is about $20 million lower than the president's suggested $290.7 million budget.

It's now up to the Senate. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-New Orleans, is making no promises.

It's going to be very tough, Landrieu said. The House was not able to add back this money ... but hopefully we can rally in the Senate and get some of this money back.

Landrieu said the Bush administration is not making Corps of Engineers funding a priority.

I think it's extremely shortsighted, Landrieu said. When the Corps of Engineers' budget is cut, Louisiana bleeds. These projects are literally life-and-death projects to the people of south Louisiana and they are (of) vital economic interest to the entire nation.

The Corps' budget could still be beefed up, as it is every year, through congressional additions. Last year, Congress added $20 million to the overall budget of the New Orleans district but a similar increase this year would still leave a $50 million shortfall.

One of the hardest-hit areas of the New Orleans district's budget is the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, which was created after the May 1995 flood to improve drainage in Jefferson, Orleans and St. Tammany parishes. SELA's budget is being drained from $36.5 million awarded in 2005 to $10.4 million suggested for 2006 by the House of Representatives and the president.

The project manager said there would be no contracts awarded with this $10.4 million, Demma said.

The construction portion of the Corps' budget would suffer if Congress doesn't add money. In 2005, the district received $94.3 million in federal dollars dedicated to construction. In 2006, the proposal is for $56 million.

It would be critical to this city if we had a $50 million construction budget compared with the past years, Demma said. It would be horrible for the city, it would be horrible for contractors and for flood protection if this were the final number compared to recent years and what the city needs.

Construction generally has been on the decline for several years and focus has been on other projects in the Corps.

The district has identified $35 million in projects to build and improve levees, floodwalls and pumping stations in St. Bernard, Orleans, Jefferson and St. Charles parishes. Those projects are included in a Corps line item called Lake Pontchartrain, where funding is scheduled to be cut from $5.7 million this year to $2.9 million in 2006. Naomi said it's enough to pay salaries but little else.

We'll do some design work. We'll design the contracts and get them ready to go if we get the money. But we don't have the money to put the work in the field, and that's the problem, Naomi said.

The Appropriations Committee in Congress will ultimately decide how much the New Orleans district will receive, he said.

Obviously, the decisions are being made up there that are not beneficial to the state, in my opinion, Naomi said. Let's put it this way: When (former Rep.) Bob Livingston (R-Metairie) was chairman of the Appropriations Committee, we didn't have a monetary problem. Our problem was how do we spend all the money we were getting.

nomad
08-28-2005, 05:30 PM
You realize you're retarded? Do you know how much a former president makes just sitting on his ass? Why would ANY of them ever work another day in their lives? Wow. I'm not even defending Bush here. I'm saying that you're not thinking.

If you don't think Bush will end up subsidised in one fashon or another by the oil industry when his presidency is thru, you may be the ignorant one here Phobia.

I realize the audience here is just a "smudge" to the right of center and practices a pack mentality at times, I stand by my prediction in spite of that charming nuance here.

As far as the impending storm in the coast, it's not as though gas prices are not already impacted by far less valid reasons.

Thank for the tip.... Im leaving the house to go fill up right now and secure my discount.

Good luck to N.O.

BigMeatballDave
08-28-2005, 05:34 PM
I wish the Govt would use some closed bases, to build refineries, owned BY the govt, which would also create jobs.I heard somewhere that Bush wants to do this. You can thank the tree-huggers for the lack of refineries...

nomad
08-28-2005, 05:36 PM
And there it is. I'm surprised it took 35 posts to blame this hurricane on Bush.

Moving to the DC forum in 5...4...3...2...1...

Where in the FCK do you see me blaming the hurricane on Bush.....?

sd4chiefs
08-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Hurricane Katrina is Bush's fault. :p

Chieficus
08-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Actually, it wouldn't be too far off to say "if there was such a thing as a category 6, this storm would probably qualify..."

When you look at the Saffir-Simpson Scale it starts at 74 mph for a Cat 1. Cat 5 starts at 155 mph. The wind speeds between each category typically range from 15-20 mph. Katrina has weakened a bit (at 165 mph now), but was up around 175 earlier. If the scale went higher than 5, it could easily be ranked as a 6...

Frazod
08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Sounds like good advice to me. Since I just got back from a weekend in Milwaukee and I'm sitting on a quarter tank, I think I'll go gas up right now.

Even if the refineries don't get nuked, the greedy pussies who cause oil prices to go through the roof are certainly preparing to shit themselves.

Donger
08-28-2005, 05:50 PM

Wow. Are you really this ignorant?

There's a basic economic answer to that question. Here's a hint: have the production costs of the oil companies increased in proportion to the increase in crude prices?

mlyonsd
08-28-2005, 06:05 PM

If you want to really post blame on a president for our current oil situation you are really being partisan for not blaming every president since the oil crisis in the 70's.

To blame only Bush is being a stupid ignorant moron, and the poster child of why our education system is F'd up.

Dartgod
08-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Where in the FCK do you see me blaming the hurricane on Bush.....?
You didn't exactly. But you did take a thread that was just offering good advice to fellow Planeteers and turn it into a Bush bash. Congratulations on missing the point. :shake:

gblowfish
08-28-2005, 06:17 PM
They just reported on CNN that oil futures trading has opened in Europe, and oil passed $70 a barrel. An nothing's happened yet. Tuesday will be an interesting day.

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
I filled up. I had a quarter of a tank left, so no biggie. I figure the price will increase anyways. Freaking gonifs.

Frazod
08-28-2005, 06:25 PM
3/4ths of a tank at the bargain price of $30.20 ($2.70 a gallon).

Jesus.

:shake:

nomad
08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
They just reported on CNN that oil futures trading has opened in Europe, and oil passed $70 a barrel. An nothing's happened yet. Tuesday will be an interesting day.

Glad I filled up.

I should be good for week !!

nomad
08-28-2005, 06:29 PM

There's a basic economic answer to that question. Here's a hint: have the production costs of the oil companies increased in proportion to the increase in crude prices?

I suspect congress would like to clear that one up too.

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I just filled up the Astro van. $46. And I had a half a tank. Damn that Bush.

siberian khatru
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I went out and filled up this evening. $2.46 a gallon. Figure it will be at least $2.60 by tomorrow afternoon.

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Holy shit...it said something I agree with.

Donger
08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
I suspect congress would like to clear that one up too.

I doubt that. If you aren't able to grasp the inherent economic impacts of this, perhaps you'd best just be quiet.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I just filled up the Astro van. $46. And I had a half a tank. Damn that Bush.
Heh... the other day my neigbor's truck's low fuel light was on. So, he went to the gas station and tossed $10 worth of gas in it.

The low fuel light was still on.

chefsos
08-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Heh... the other day my neigbor's truck's low fuel light was on. So, he went to the gas station and tossed $10 worth of gas in it.

The low fuel light was still on.

Well, he knows he's got a helpful neighbor who'll gladly push the truck tomorrow.

If he's smart, he also tossed in $10 worth of beer.

ENDelt260
08-28-2005, 10:43 PM
His new truck is a beast. I wouldn't push that thing anywhere.

He let a buddy borrow it and in return the buddy filled up the tank. Had to run him at least $60. Course, the buddy also set all the presets on the stereo to Spanish stations.

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 11:02 PM
His new truck is a beast. I wouldn't push that thing anywhere.

He let a buddy borrow it and in return the buddy filled up the tank. Had to run him at least $60. Course, the buddy also set all the presets on the stereo to Spanish stations.
My Astrovan holds 27 gallons of fuel. At the $2.57 I paid today, it holds $70 worth of fuel total. The gas in the tank is worth more than a new tire.

Pitt Gorilla
08-29-2005, 12:20 AM

There's a basic economic answer to that question. Here's a hint: have the production costs of the oil companies increased in proportion to the increase in crude prices?I think that may have been his implication.

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Yesterday I got the propane tanks for my grill filled at $2.20/gallon. Maybe I should have my truck converted...

Phobia
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Is that grill holding up well?

KChiefsQT
08-29-2005, 12:41 AM
When I wake up tomorrow and go to fill up my tank.... if it's over 3.00 I'm gonna :deevee:

Joe Seahawk
08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Oil will be over $70 a barrel tomorrow.. :shake:

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Is that grill holding up well?
Yep. That thing's great. I need to clean the outside, though. I'm kinda lazy about that. Luckily that stainless steel cleaner is good stuff.

Pants
08-29-2005, 12:50 AM
F*ck... I guess I should go fill up right now. Got about 1/2 tank left.

EDIT: Just got Mid-Grade for 2.65, should keep me good for about 2 1/2 weeks. I think I'm going to start shutting off my engine at long lights and it's also probably a god time to change my airfilter. See if I can add 15-20 miles to a tank.

alanm
08-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Oil will be over $70 a barrel tomorrow.. :shake:
It already is. Natural Gas prices have jumped 20% already today in early trading. :(
Going to be a long cold hard winter stuck at home. I best start preparing. :(

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 02:46 AM
Going to be a long cold hard winter stuck at home. I best start preparing. :(

You could always move to Arizona.

alanm
08-29-2005, 03:02 AM
You could always move to Arizona.
Delt, you may have to start riding a bicycle. I hear Scottsdale is pretty flat. Course coming home from the bar could be a adventure all in of itself. :)

Demonpenz
08-29-2005, 03:04 AM
i hear you can get a dwi riding a bike but not if you ride a horse

alanm
08-29-2005, 03:05 AM
Well, I don't have school in the morning so I figure I'm going to go out for a little drive. And then come back and fill up. It was $2.53 here this evening. I wouldn't doubt that it jumps to $2.75 by this evening. :deevee:

Demonpenz
08-29-2005, 03:07 AM
I hope gas goes down My escalade is getting to expensive and the ho's and the back cost money too

alanm
08-29-2005, 03:10 AM
Funny you mention that. I live in a old duplex that was built in the 1890's. We have a detached garage that was converted from a stable. It's was made out of the brick that they used for the duplex. You can tell it's made for the smaller cars of the 20's and is too small for my vehicle. So I use it for storage. A horse would fit in there really nice though. :)

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Delt, you may have to start riding a bicycle. I hear Scottsdale is pretty flat. Course coming home from the bar could be a adventure all in of itself. :)
Few months back my neighbor convinced me we should ride bikes to the bar. I didn't think about it beforehand, but I realized later I probably hadn't been on a bike since I was in junior high. That whole "you never forget" saying is bullshit. Sure, I remembered the mechanics of it, but good Lord I was so uncordinated it was ugly.

And that was the ride TO the bar. I don't even wanna talk about the ride home. My neighbor still gives me shit. He probably will until the day one of us dies.

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 03:20 AM
You can't get a DUI in AZ riding a bike, but I do have a friend who tried to be responsible one night and ride his bike to the bar and got a ticket for not having a light on it.

Especially shitty since the Scottsdale PD has bike cops out at night w/ no lights on. As usual... different rules for the f*cking pigs and some poor bastard just trying to do the right thing.

alanm
08-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Few months back my neighbor convinced me we should ride bikes to the bar. I didn't think about it beforehand, but I realized later I probably hadn't been on a bike since I was in junior high. That whole "you never forget" saying is bullshit. Sure, I remembered the mechanics of it, but good Lord I was so uncordinated it was ugly.

And that was the ride TO the bar. I don't even wanna talk about the ride home. My neighbor still gives me shit. He probably will until the day one of us dies.
I can't believe how many times when I was drinking that I came shitfaced home from the bar on my motorcycle. Until the last time I pulled up to a stop sign and promptly fell over on my side. That was the last time I rode my "Bike" to the bar. ROFL

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 03:30 AM
I can't believe how many times when I was drinking that I came shitfaced home from the bar on my motorcycle. Until the last time I pulled up to a stop sign and promptly fell over on my side. That was the last time I rode my "Bike" to the bar. ROFL
I've known people who drove motorcycles drunk. Sheesh, talk about crazy. Okay, I've been consuming a substance that's going to impair my balance, and then operate machinery where balance is a vitally important skill.

Riding a bicycle drunk is dangerous... to the rider. You can't exactly plow into a bus full of nuns on a bicycle and kill them.

Thankfully the Scottsdale PD have never harassed me for walking through town drunk. I might lose it. I thought I was gonna get in trouble a couple weeks ago. I was walking to the bar... came up to Scottsdale Road and the light was red. No traffic, so I started to cross anyway. Partway through the road I hear, "The light's red!" Look over and see two bike cops, sans lights of course, that I failed to notice before embarking on my jaywalk. Knowing of my buddy's no light on his bike ticket, and various other nonsense from the Scottsdale PD, I figured I was hosed. When I got across the street the cop just shook his head at me and went on his way.

When I told my neighbor the story his response was, "Well, they've got bigger fish to fry." I used to hold the same view... but, I've started to think for these guys there's no crime too small.

Area 51
08-29-2005, 02:22 PM
This speaks for itself - - - - - - - - - - maybe.

StcChief
08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Done.

gblowfish
08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I guess Bush decided to end his vacation today after puttering around the last 48 hours. Time to play President again. "Let them eat cake!"

listopencil
08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
It is. Adjusted for inflation, gas needs to reach about $3 a gallon to reach the 70s level.

Out here in The People's Republic Of ****ing California (God, I'm really starting to hate this place) we are pretty much there.

listopencil
08-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I am going to go fill up my tank right now. It's at about half and it's a ten gallon tank. I'm getting the top grade stuff. I'll let you know the cost breakdown of the different grades and how much I had to pay.

memyselfI
08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, I don't have school in the morning so I figure I'm going to go out for a little drive. And then come back and fill up. It was $2.53 here this evening. I wouldn't doubt that it jumps to $2.75 by this evening. :deevee:

Gas Price Finder (http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx)

listopencil
08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
I just purchased 5.505 gallons of premium fuel (the most expensive) at the nearest station. I believe it is served by Exxon. It cost me $16.73, or $3.039 per gallon. The other two grades were $2.939 and $2.839. This turned out to be the cheapest gas in town (usually is) and the other stations ranged all the way up to $3.199 per gallon for premium at the local Chevron. I live in a relatively small town in Northern California and the prices are a little high because we are right off of a major interstate.

listopencil
08-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm going to go into my laboratory and try to invent a car that runs on the blood of mine enemies. Wish me luck!

gblowfish
08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
At least its nice to see the Commander in Chief springing into action. I'm sorry, but to me, this is not leadership. If this hurricane would've flooded Boca Raton, in Jeb's state, "W" would be on this like white on rice (no pun intended). But these are mostly poor people who don't contribute to politicians. So the prez gets back to Washington on Wednesday. Ho hum....damn, had to cut my vacation short. "W" should have been down there yesterday. Just my opinion, but showing up says a lot.

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Out here in The People's Republic Of ****ing California (God, I'm really starting to hate this place) we are pretty much there.

I pulled a load out to Lodi 2 weeks ago and diesel was already $3.15/gallon in Fresno. :cuss: Needless to say, unless the customer is planning on paying 21 cpm fuel surcharge, I won't be pulling any more loads to Cali anytime soon.

Pitt Gorilla
08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Gas shot up 30 cents today. What the f*cking f*ck?

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 07:50 PM

I worked at a Gas / Fuel station then, basically we used didn't have to worry about it. We were located about 30 miles south of KC and had enought to pass along to traveling motorist and our normal customers back and forth to work in KC.

The stations we that were owned in KC were basically set up on an honor system, you got 10 gallons and drove off. You could go down the street and get the rest if you wanted to.

Big hoax if ya ask me........ But almost everybody was doing it for awhile.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Already jumped 15 cents here for the 2 stations that have it.

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 08:18 PM

It was quite apocalyptic, and clearly the worst of worse-case scenarios. But still, it all started with a hurricane just like this. Fascinating stuff.It was a fake documentary, and quite funny at the time.

Perhaps its a conspiracy by the oil companies. They made that film so that us stupid people would swallow the oil shock that they want to purpetrate on us now? :shrug:

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 08:18 PM

All you older people who went through gas rationing in the 70's... refresh our memories, how did that work again?You got in line, and waited, and waited, and waited to get about 8 gallons.

memyselfI
08-30-2005, 10:32 PM
At least its nice to see the Commander in Chief springing into action. I'm sorry, but to me, this is not leadership. If this hurricane would've flooded Boca Raton, in Jeb's state, "W" would be on this like white on rice (no pun intended). But these are mostly poor people who don't contribute to politicians. So the prez gets back to Washington on Wednesday. Ho hum....damn, had to cut my vacation short. "W" should have been down there yesterday. Just my opinion, but showing up says a lot.

The Gov. of LA is a Dem. :hmmm:

Fairplay
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
I am going to go fill up my tank right now. It's at about half and it's a ten gallon tank. I'm getting the top grade stuff. I'll let you know the cost breakdown of the different grades and how much I had to pay.

I read about high grade gas. And basically, unless you have an older car that pings. Articles say you are tossing your money away for that stuff. I beleive it. I always buy the cheaper stuff. No problems. Just my opinion.