PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI: Chief Concerns

Bob Dole
08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Not really anything new...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- One weekend Jonathan Quinn was couch-bound and channel-surfing, wishing he could be out there on that football field.

The next weekend, he was. Behind the feel-good story of the journeyman quarterback who gets a second chance to live his dream, however, lurk some worrisome signs for the team that made the emergency call to him.

True enough, the Kansas City Chiefs could have beaten the Seattle Seahawks instead of losing 23-17. Quinn had three shots from the 9-yard line in the final seconds Saturday night.

But with all the other problems apparently facing the Chiefs, it matters little whether they're 0-3 or 1-2 going into their final exhibition game Friday night at St. Louis.

Why exactly did Quinn play all but the first two series? Is Trent Green's mystery injury more serious than thought? When will Green's regular backup, Todd Collins, get back from the hand injury he sustained in the first exhibition game?

Why did cornerback Patrick Surtain get beaten so many times by Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck? Surtain is one of the key offseason acquisitions who are supposed to upgrade a miserable defense.

Another is linebacker Kendrell Bell. But when will he play? The outside linebacker still has not appeared in a preseason game as coaches insist on keeping him benched until he is fully healed. He played in only three games for Pittsburgh in 2004, hobbled by a groin injury. He also has shoulder and ankle troubles and is still bothered by an arthritic shoulder.

If Bell had been in, perhaps Hasselbeck and the first-team Seahawks offense would not have passed for 198 yards against the Chiefs starters. Surtain was burned on a 36-yard touchdown pass to Darrell Jackson, who had seven catches for 99 yards.

"I couldn't really find the ball," Surtain said. "I lost the ball in the lights."

Jackson also beat Surtain on another play but Hasselbeck overthrew him.

"There are some things I can get better at," said Surtain, a two-time Pro-Bowler with Miami. "That's what preseason is for. You're going to get beat once in a while. But the good players learn from their mistakes."

Green was flawless in his first possession, going 5-for-5 and capping a quick TD drive with a short touchdown pass to tight end Tony Gonzalez. But he was intercepted on his seventh pass and never heard from again.

Although he missed no practice time, he had been bothered all week by what was described as numbness in his lower leg and foot. Then when he was intercepted on his seventh pass, he was stepped on.

Green insisted he was fine.

"Going through warmups, this thing was kind of nagging me a little bit and I wanted to see how the first couple of drives went," he said. "When I got stepped on, it was like, `Why push it any further?'

"We had some good timing and everything was clicking pretty good, and things start to count here in two weeks, so it was kind of mutually agreed upon to protect it."

Source (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/08/28/chiefs.concern.ap/index.html)

Electric
08-28-2005, 05:05 PM
When TG threw the interception it looked like someone stepped on his foot. I'd say they decided to not take any chances. You can play with a sore foot, but in preseason, why?

beer bacon
08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
When TG threw the interception it looked like someone stepped on his foot. I'd say they decided to not take any chances. You can play with a sore foot, but in preseason, why?

Trent said that when Roaf stepped on his foot his shoe came off, and he couldn't get any strength under his throw.

Thig Lyfe
08-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Not really anything new...

Especially not the headline. Way to be cliche, guys.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2005, 05:14 PM
"Going through warmups, this thing was kind of nagging me a little bit and I wanted to see how the first couple of drives went," he said. "When I got stepped on, it was like, `Why push it any further?'
bu,buh,but i thought i was just his new shoes?

carl is such a liar

beer bacon
08-28-2005, 05:19 PM
bu,buh,but i thought i was just his new shoes?

carl is such a liar

Trent himself said that even though his foot was bothering, his shoe did come off during the interception, and it did effect his throw. This thread has a picture of Trent walking off the field with his shoe in hand:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122588

TEX
08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
If Bell had been in, perhaps Hasselbeck and the first-team Seahawks offense would not have passed for 198 yards against the Chiefs starters.

...And what about the defensive effort of allowing only 9 yards rushing to Alexander in the 1st half? Why no talk of that? :hmmm:

htismaqe
08-28-2005, 06:28 PM
If I had a nickel for every time a writer used "Chief Concerns"...

:Lin:

Thig Lyfe
08-28-2005, 06:28 PM
If I had a nickel for every time a writer used "Chief Concerns"...

:Lin:

Seriously... These people can't think up an original headline for ANYTHING.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Trent himself said that even though his foot was bothering, his shoe did come off during the interception, and it did effect his throw. This thread has a picture of Trent walking off the field with his shoe in hand:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122588
"Getting your foot stepped on" is hardly shoe problems

"his foot was bothering him" is hardly shoe problems

carl said something to the effect of "trent had shoe problems" when asked why Green was pulled out of the game so early.

no biggie, i just don't know why he has to be so full of crap

just tell us Green got his foot stepped on and just leave it at that

he's a compulsive liar ... he just can't seem to help it

mikey23545
08-28-2005, 08:34 PM
"Getting your foot stepped on" is hardly shoe problems

"his foot was bothering him" is hardly shoe problems

carl said something to the effect of "trent had shoe problems" when asked why Green was pulled out of the game so early.

no biggie, i just don't know why he has to be so full of crap

just tell us Green got his foot stepped on and just leave it at that

he's a compulsive liar ... he just can't seem to help it

CARL LIED, INSTEPS DIED!