PDA

View Full Version : EAGLES, DT SIMON PART WAYS

booger
08-28-2005, 06:55 PM
EAGLES, DT SIMON PART WAYS

August 28, 2005
By CHRIS McPHERSON

The Eagles announced Sunday night that they have withdrawn the franchise tag on defensive tackle Corey Simon, meaning that he is now an unrestricted free agent.
"We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years," said head coach Andy Reid in a statement. "With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."

DT Simon never signed the tender that would have guaranteed him over $5 million this season
Simon, the team's first-round draft pick and the No. 6 overall selection in 2000, was given the franchise tag in the off-season, meaning he could not sign with another team unless that team were to surrender two first-round draft picks as compensation.

By being given the franchise tag, which was done Feb. 10, Simon would have made the equivalent of the top five paid defensive tackles in the league in 2005 - which would have been approximately $5.1 million.

At the time the tag was placed, head coach Andy Reid was happy with that decision.

"As I said earlier this week, Corey's a good player and his personality fits very well in our locker room," said Reid in February. "He's a talented player against the pass and against the run. We're happy to take this step to keep him in Philadelphia."

However, Simon never signed the tender and did not report to any of the team's mini-camps or training camp.

There were published reports that Simon would come in the week of the season opener, but that will never be known. There were also published reports that Simon had been traded by the Eagles, but Simon and the other team involved could not agree on compensation.

In Simon's place, Darwin Walker has teamed up with Hollis Thomas as the starters at the defensive tackle position. Off the bench has been first-round draft pick Mike Patterson, who has been stellar (two sacks in the preseason).

The play of the other tackles has helped defensive coordinator Jim Johnson not worry about Simon's presence.

"I think we are playing pretty good defense right now. To say I wish Corey was not here, no I wish he was here, but he's not here and I said it before, we just move on," Johnson said. "It's an opportunity for those other guys that are playing pretty well. We are just going to see what happens with Corey. I have no idea."

In his five seasons as an Eagle, Simon amassed 270 tackles and 35 sacks. He set the rookie record for sacks with 9.5 in 2000. Simon was named to the 2004 Pro Bowl after posting 64 tackles and 7.5 sacks in the 2003 season.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=33818

Douche Baggins
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
OMG

SIGN HIM CARL! NOW!

showmetoahoop
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Do we?

showmetoahoop
08-28-2005, 06:58 PM
What is our cap situation when we cut woods and Fujita?

Marco Polo
08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm just going to say this in advance because I'm sure I'll be saying this later:

DAMMIT CARL! :cuss: :banghead:

jAZ
08-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Can we actually give Junior Siavii to Corey Simon and if so, will he take less money in exchange?

nychief
08-28-2005, 07:04 PM
He'll sign with the Redskins.

mikey23545
08-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Man, I wish we could, but cap-wise I doubt it's possible....

Mecca
08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
If the Eagles wanted to screw this guy over, they waited till the exact right time to release him. Hardly anyone has cap money, he won't get near what he'd get im the open market at the beginning of free agency.

That being said, he plays the position the Chiefs could use a player at badly. They should atleast bring him in here and see if they can make a decent offer. I highly doubt its possible for us to get him, unless no one else has any money either.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
we could use the help on our defensive line, he has more sacks than our entire starting dline combine. :(

tell savaii to have his surgery ... put him on IR

add Simon

ok ... i'm back awake now :)

Sure-Oz
08-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh man if we have any room bring him in!

jAZ
08-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I can't believe no one has posted the latest Clayton-Salary-Cap article.

Of course, I haven't been able to find it for the last 10 minutes, so what the hell am I talking about?

KevB
08-28-2005, 07:46 PM
It may become a situation for Simon where he accepts a 1 year deal with someone, expecting to get a long term deal in the off-season when teams can plan their salary cap accordingly. Do the Chiefs have enough dough to entice him here for a year as a mercenary? Doubt it. I'm sure Carl and DV would tell you that a rotation of Sims, Dalton and Browning will suffice.

It also wouldn't surprise me if a team (or teams) has some cap money stashed away for this very reason.

Joe Seahawk
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Paul Allen better be firing up the 767 right now.. We NEED this guy.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Jump on him, Carl. I would love this.

jAZ
08-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I think (based on what I've seen posted from Clayton... KC has somewhere between 900K and 2.5 million under the cap.

I remember everyone being pissed that we didn't use up all of our salary cap and they wondered what he was saving it for.

That makes me think at least at that time, we were closer to the 2.5 million.

Of course I can't find anything at all to back any of this up.

CoMoChief
08-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Sims and Simon on the inside would be pretty nice

jAZ
08-28-2005, 07:58 PM
I think (based on what I've seen posted from Clayton... KC has somewhere between 900K and 2.5 million under the cap.
Of course I can't find anything at all to back any of this up.
Here's the link to the 900K number, but that was back in april.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:CSPTiMGiKP8J:sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story%3Fcolumnist%3Dclayton_john%26id%3D2004973+Clayton:+Salary+cap+status+of+all+32+teams+2005&hl=en

siberian khatru
08-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Here's the link to the 900K number, but that was back in april.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:CSPTiMGiKP8J:sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story%3Fcolumnist%3Dclayton_john%26id%3D2004973+Clayton:+Salary+cap+status+of+all+32+teams+2005&hl=en

It seems that every sal cap list that's posted is disputed. I don't think anyone outside the organization really knows.

B_Ambuehl
08-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't want to get anybody's hopes up because I'm probably wrong, but in an interview or a radio show or something a few weeks ago at camp Carl did imply that he was either looking to, or in the process of, making one more move on the defensive side of the football. In fact I think he might've even mentioned specifically the d-line. It also seems apparent that Simon and his agent walked away from the 1 yr franchise tender or at least wanted away from it. They would be stupid to do that unless they were already in the process of working something out with someone else.

Hmmmmmmm...........

jAZ
08-28-2005, 08:01 PM
It seems that every sal cap list that's posted is disputed. I don't think anyone outside the organization really knows.
Funny thing is that Clayton's seems to have been pulled from ESPN's website.

Here's the link where it should be.

Maybe he's updating it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2004973

jAZ
08-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I don't want to get anybody's hopes up because I'm probably wrong, but in an interview or a radio show or something a few weeks ago at camp Carl did imply that he was either looking to, or in the process of, making one more move on the defensive side of the football. In fact I think he might've even mentioned specifically the d-line. It also seems apparent that Simon and his agent walked away from the 1 yr franchise tender or at least wanted away from it. They would be stupid to do that unless they were already in the process of working something out with someone else.

Hmmmmmmm...........
The article said someone and Philly were working on a trade... but it fell through. I'm not getting any hopes up, but your story sounds reasonable, at least.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 08:16 PM
It's official...

If we don't sign Simon, we will implode.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Damn it, Carl? :cuss:

SIGN HIM....now!

FTR, once he passes a physical and impresses our staff at a workout. :D

Halfcan
08-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Nice to dream about, but I don't see it happening. But that is our second biggest weakness on the team beside CB. Simms might be above average, but the rest of our Dlinemen have been hurt on ineffective. Lets see if King Carl can pull one last rabbit out of Lamars hat.

the Talking Can
08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
that would be awesome..but I don't see how we make it happen moneywise...damn

Halfcan
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah it would be awesome. Say 7-10 sacks coming up the middle without having to blitz-not to mention he is great on run defense.
Eagles should have kept this guy.

Iowanian
08-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Paul Allen better be firing up the 767 right now.. We NEED this guy.

Quick! someone put water in the fuel of Paul Allen's 767.

Hey Cory! if you thought Cheesesteak was good......Lets meat down at Gates....to talk insentive laden Contracts with a 3 year escalator...

SNR
08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
DE is a more pressing need than DT.

But this would certainly be better than a stick in the eye

go bowe
08-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Damn it, Carl? :cuss:

SIGN HIM....now!

FTR, once he passes a physical and impresses our staff at a workout. :Dpffffft... physicals are over-rated...

milkman
08-28-2005, 09:41 PM
You guys are dreaming.

Carl will sign Derrick Ransom, who I saw was cut today on the NFL Network bottom line.

Iowanian
08-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I know....Don't wake me until I scream or its morning.

eazyb81
08-28-2005, 09:48 PM
There are going to be about 20 teams looking to sign Simon, no way does Carl get in a bidding war for his services.

It's nice to dream about, but we all know that there is about a 2% chance we go hard after him.

The Rick
08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
pffffft... physicals are over-rated...
Yep, it came out not too long ago that when the Packers traded for Brett Favre, he originally failed his physical due to potential hip problems. Ron Wolf, GM at the time, told the doctors to shut up and pass him and as they say, the rest is history.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
It also wouldn't surprise me if a team (or teams) has some cap money stashed away for this very reason.
The Donks. They always magically come up with cap money. :hmmm:

Frankie
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
tell savaii to have his surgery ... put him on IR

add Simon.

:thumb:

Frankie
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Jump on him, Carl. I would love this.
Pervert!

Frankie
08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Sims and Simon on the inside would be pretty nice
Nicknamed the SS? Nah,.. bad idea.

Frankie
08-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah it would be awesome. Say 7-10 sacks coming up the middle without having to blitz-not to mention he is great on run defense.
Eagles should have kept this guy.

Yet, Philly big-name defenders have gone to other teams in recent years and disappeared. Douglas, Barber, Taylor and Vincent to name a few. Is Simon next?

KevB
08-28-2005, 11:17 PM
The Donks. They always magically come up with cap money. :hmmm:

No, he doesn't fit the mold of under-performing Browns cast off.

philfree
08-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Sign his big rear and add it to the rotation. It's obvious that with the PI rules and our short comings on D that we need to be able to get after the QB on every down. Simms is looking good to me but he and Dalton need some help and Simon could add that. DT is the only position on D we didn't upgrade on the D at this point of this year so IMO we should try out best to sign Simon. We gotta be able to bring it with our D line on every down. Every down...................

PhilFree:arrow:

alanm
08-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Forget it. We have a better chance of getting Ransom back than Simon. :rolleyes:

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Chiefs should grab Simon . Like Sims at a Barbecue eating contest

philfree
08-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Forget it. We have a better chance of getting Ransom back than Simon. :rolleyes:

:) At least grow a big enough pair where you can have a fanatsy :) Surtain,Knight,Hall and Bell(yeah I know he played yet..) .....we had no chance to sign any of them either. I ain't saying we will even attempt to sign Simon but.........I guess I just think your post is.....defeatest, poosy azzed bull hockey.....Sorry.....I got carried away......You're entitled to your opinion and I shouldn't belittle like I did. At least we appear to have a good punter so we don't have to rely on the punt you just hit.

alanm
08-29-2005, 12:42 AM
:) At least grow a big enough pair where you can have a fanatsy :) Surtain,Knight,Hall and Bell(yeah I know he played yet..) .....we had no chance to sign any of them either. I ain't saying we will even attempt to sign Simon but.........I guess I just think your post is.....defeatest, poosy azzed bull hockey.....Sorry.....I got carried away......You're entitled to your opinion and I shouldn't belittle like I did. At least we appear to have a good punter so we don't have to rely on the punt you just hit.

Well, I guess you're all entitled to your fantasy. But Carl pay this guy what he wants, which is $5 mill + per year. Hello Derrick Ransom. ROFL

RedThat
08-29-2005, 08:26 AM

Hmmmmmmm...........

I recall in one of the Q&A Dick Vermeil articles, Dick mentioned about the possiblility of adding another Defensive tackle. Didn't sound like Corey Simon though. Said he was talking to a former player that he coached who is no longer in the league. Dick didn't mention a name specifically, from the sounds of it, it seems like he was interested in recruiting that player. Im under the impression the Chiefs are just looking for depth, especially since Browning, and Siavii are dinged. Our depth at the Defensive Tackle position is thin.

RedThat
08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
The article said someone and Philly were working on a trade... but it fell through. I'm not getting any hopes up, but your story sounds reasonable, at least.

I read somewhere, can't exactly remember where, memory serves me correctly though, the Buffalo Bills showed the most interest in him this off-season. They made a hard-press for him, and philly slapped the tag.

*I think Buffalo out of all the teams is going to express the most interest in Simons services. They lost Pat Williams.

Bowser
08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Only if he comes with the All-World Hugh Douglas.

TRR
08-29-2005, 08:36 AM
I recall in one of the Q&A Dick Vermeil articles, Dick mentioned about the possiblility of adding another Defensive tackle. Didn't sound like Corey Simon though. Said he was talking to a former player that he coached who is no longer in the league. Dick didn't mention a name specifically, from the sounds of it, it seems like he was interested in recruiting that player. Im under the impression the Chiefs are just looking for depth, especially since Browning, and Siavii are dinged. Our depth at the Defensive Tackle position is thin.

That sounds like Nate Cockgobbler-Tittyfuk.

htismaqe
08-29-2005, 08:41 AM
That sounds like Nate Cockgobbler-Tittyfuk.

Or D'Marco Farr.

Brock
08-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Keep dreaming.

RedThat
08-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Or D'Marco Farr.

That's what I was thinking possibly adding him as a depth move.

Mr. Laz
08-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Keep dreaming.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/aegilops/pics/graffiti/martinlutherking.jpg

Bowser
08-29-2005, 09:21 AM
That's what I was thinking possibly adding him as a depth move.

God, no! How long has he been out of football? 3 years?

And didn't Vermeil bring him in to camp in 2002, and he just couldn't cut it?

Skip Towne
08-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Nothing this good could ever happen to us. I'll be happy if he stays out of our division.

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Keep dreaming.

like the insane thoughts of getting DJ? :D

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 10:32 AM
There's no way. The cash isn't there, the cap room isn't there.

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM
There's no way. The cash isn't there, the cap room isn't there.

how mant teams have cap room? This will be the dilemma for many teams that will court Simon. Unless he wants to get pounded into the ground, because he'll probably go to a celler dweller. The reason why I say this for the fact that KC has to win it this year, and I think Carl will try the best he can to give Vermeil a good send off.

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 10:40 AM
how mant teams have cap room? This will be the dilemma for many teams that will court Simon. Unless he wants to get pounded into the ground, because he'll probably go to a celler dweller.He wasn't willing to sign a 5 million tender with a team that was in the super bowl last year...

This one's all about money.

Brock
08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
like the insane thoughts of getting DJ? :D

It's not like Derrick Johnson had a choice.

chagrin
08-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Only if he comes with the All-World Hugh Douglas.

Don't you mean, the All-everywhere but the city that pays me what I think I deserve, like Jacksonville, where I will do nothing, Hugh Douglas?

:p

jAZ
08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
My guess is that Philly pulled the tag with the full intention of resigning him afterwards.

Think about it.

Philly just "freed up" 5 million in cap room (by lifting the tag). Add that to whatever they had before, and tell me someone else in a better position to sign the guy?

My guess is that they think this will excellerate the signing process by forcing Simon out into an unfriendly marketplace. Where they will be in a position to match or beat just about any offer anyone else can offer.

Without releasing him, they are negotiating with Simon's imagination of what he's "worth". By lifting it, they only have to negotiate against (what I bet the Eagles think will be the "harsh reality" of) the market.

Like everyone's pointed out, by waiting, that market isn't stacked in Simon's favor at this late date.

My money is on Philly resigning him for more money than anyone else can offer and for less money than Simon's agent was demanding until yesterday.

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
That seams feasible jaz.

Warrior5
08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
My guess is that Philly pulled the tag with the full intention of resigning him afterwards.

I agree with jAZ. This fits Philly's MO.

...but wouldn't it be nice.

Bowser
08-29-2005, 11:28 AM
We'll probably get the Eagles all jealous if he DOES decide to come visit us. So naturally they'll sign him to a contract right after he leaves - ala Jeremiah Trotter.

Rukdafaidas
08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
It might also free up some money to pay TO.

go bowe
08-29-2005, 11:52 AM

Think about it.

Philly just "freed up" 5 million in cap room (by lifting the tag). Add that to whatever they had before, and tell me someone else in a better position to sign the guy?

My guess is that they think this will excellerate the signing process by forcing Simon out into an unfriendly marketplace. Where they will be in a position to match or beat just about any offer anyone else can offer.

Without releasing him, they are negotiating with Simon's imagination of what he's "worth". By lifting it, they only have to negotiate against (what I bet the Eagles think will be the "harsh reality" of) the market.

Like everyone's pointed out, by waiting, that market isn't stacked in Simon's favor at this late date.

My money is on Philly resigning him for more money than anyone else can offer and for less money than Simon's agent was demanding until yesterday.more conspiracy theories, jaz?

freakin' liberal... :p :p :p

ct
08-29-2005, 12:14 PM
It may become a situation for Simon where he accepts a 1 year deal with someone, expecting to get a long term deal in the off-season when teams can plan their salary cap accordingly. Do the Chiefs have enough dough to entice him here for a year as a mercenary? Doubt it. I'm sure Carl and DV would tell you that a rotation of Sims, Dalton and Browning will suffice.

Why exactly would he do this, when he just left $5.1M on the table for 1 year, because he wanted a long-term deal?

TRR
08-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Why exactly would he do this, when he just left $5.1M on the table for 1 year, because he wanted a long-term deal?

At this point, not many teams can afford to give a player a long term deal. Simon will probably have to take a 1 year deal, and sign a long term deal next season.

The need for a DT has to be there, and the cap room would have to be there for a team to sign him to a long term deal. I'm not sure any team fits the bill at this point. The Eagles pretty much screwed Simon.

ct
08-29-2005, 12:25 PM
At this point, not many teams can afford to give a player a long term deal. Simon will probably have to take a 1 year deal, and sign a long term deal next season.

The need for a DT has to be there, and the cap room would have to be there for a team to sign him to a long term deal. I'm not sure any team fits the bill at this point. The Eagles pretty much screwed Simon.

BS! Any team can sign Corey Simon to a long term deal, with a double figure guaranteed bonus, right now! Release 1 player to recoup some room this year, split that signing bonus over 2 years, and deal with next year's cap next year.

philfree
08-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Is it Dan Snider or Dan Snyder? Anyways I can't imagine he'd make a play to steal one of the Eagles players. He could sign Simon to a 10 year deal with a massive signing bonus and not even blink.

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Their is also the possibility that Simon has a a derious disregard for thefront office or Andy Reid. The Owens contract situation was ridiculous, but maybe the eagles back loaded the shit out of it, and maybe Philadelphia is doing the same with the Simon ordeal. Now, thjat's a conspiracy theory

Mr. Laz
08-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Former Pro Bowler Simon a free agent
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 18 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Philadelphia Eagles withdrew their franchise tag on former first-round draft pick Corey Simon on Sunday, making the defensive tackle an unrestricted free agent.

Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but wanted a long-term contract, never signed the deal or reported to the minicamps or training camp. With the franchise tag, another team would have forfeited two first-round picks if they signed the former Pro Bowl lineman.

"I didn't expect them to lift the tag," Simon told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "This gives me a chance to be a free agent, but I have mixed feelings. I'm going to miss the guys I played with there and the coaches I played under. I had a great five years, and I enjoyed every minute of it."

Simon, 6-foot-2, 293 pounds, was the Eagles' first-round pick and the sixth overall selection in the 2000 draft. In five seasons with Philadelphia, Simon had 270 tackles and 32 sacks.

He set the Eagles' rookie record for sacks with 9.5 in 2000 - including one of Dallas' Troy Aikman on his first career play.

Simon was selected for the Pro Bowl after recording 64 tackles and 7.5 sacks in 2003.

"We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years," coach Andy Reid said. "With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."

Certainly, Simon's high asking price was a factor in the Eagles cutting him loose, but so was their depth at defensive tackle. Darwin Walker and Hollis Thomas start for the Eagles and first-round pick Mike Patterson has had a strong preseason.

"I think we are playing pretty good defense right now. To say I wish Corey was not here, no I wish he was here, but he's not here and, I said it before, we just move on," defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said last week. "It's an opportunity for those other guys that are playing pretty well."

The Eagles have some history with this kind of move.

After the 2001 season, the Eagles named middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter their franchise player. Trotter had a bitter contract dispute with the Eagles and complained about the tag before it was removed. He then signed with Washington and returned to the Eagles last year.

Dumping Simon means one less distraction for the NFC champions who also are involved in contract disputes with wide receiver Terrell Owens and running back Brian Westbrook.

Westbrook skipped a week of training camp, showing his unhappiness over being unable to work out a long-term deal with Philadelphia. Owens and agent Drew Rosenhaus have protested the Eagles' refusal to rework the wide receiver's deal as he enters the second season of a seven-year, $48.97 million contract.

and yet we can't even find 1 single stinking starting DT that's worth a chit. :(

StcChief
08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Not sure we can afford him. Jr cap hit etc.

Mr. Laz
08-29-2005, 03:00 PM

no jr. cap hit if we just put him on IR ... apparently he's got knee issues

philfree
08-29-2005, 03:06 PM

What kind of signing bonus' do late 2nd rounders get? I doubt Jr's hit would be much at all spread over the next two years.

Frankie
08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
no jr. cap hit if we just put him on IR ... apparently he's got knee issuesI'm fast warming up to this idea. I still hold out hope that he's not lazy, untalented or screwed up but only legitimately injured in the knees. If that's the case we need to know that by the next offseason. Have his surgery(ies) done NOW and let his rehab begin ASAP.

Joe Seahawk
08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
PHILADELPHIA (AP)

Roosevelt Barnes, the agent for Corey Simon, announced Monday that three teams have already expressed interest in signing his client. The three teams that have contacted Barnes about Simon's services include the Arizona Cardinals, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Seattle Seahawks. The Associated Press contacted Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson on Monday afternoon about his team's interest in Simon and he responded with "no comment".

The Philadelphia Eagles announced their intentions to remove the franchise tag from their Pro Bowl defensive tackle Simon on Sunday. The move made Simon an unrestricted free agent. Simon, 28, didn't report to training camp and has missed the Eagles' first three preseason games after refusing to sign their one-year, $5.13 million franchise tender offer. Simon, the sixth overall pick in the 2000 NFL draft, was seeking a long-term contract.

``We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years,'' Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement. ``With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey and opportunity to sign with another team.''

Copyright AP 2005
All Rights Reserved

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/salcap/publicgroup/38/message?msgid=213

siberian khatru
08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
PHILADELPHIA (AP)

Roosevelt Barnes, the agent for Corey Simon, announced Monday that three teams have already expressed interest in signing his client. The three teams that have contacted Barnes about Simon's services include the Arizona Cardinals, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Seattle Seahawks. The Associated Press contacted Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson on Monday afternoon about his team's interest in Simon and he responded with "no comment".

The Philadelphia Eagles announced their intentions to remove the franchise tag from their Pro Bowl defensive tackle Simon on Sunday. The move made Simon an unrestricted free agent. Simon, 28, didn't report to training camp and has missed the Eagles' first three preseason games after refusing to sign their one-year, $5.13 million franchise tender offer. Simon, the sixth overall pick in the 2000 NFL draft, was seeking a long-term contract.

``We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years,'' Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement. ``With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey and opportunity to sign with another team.''

Copyright AP 2005
All Rights Reserved

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/salcap/publicgroup/38/message?msgid=213

Hmm, just the Cards and Seahags contacted him? Oh, well, I guess we'll have to look else--- HEY!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Great news!!!

Someone start whoring him like we did with Ty Law!!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!?! START THE WHORING THREADS NOW!

milkman
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Great news!!!

Someone start whoring him like we did with Ty Law!!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!?! START THE WHORING THREADS NOW!

I'd do it, but I'm just not that type.

go bowe
08-29-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm fast warming up to this idea. I still hold out hope that he's not lazy, untalented or screwed up but only legitimately injured in the knees. If that's the case we need to know that by the next offseason. Have his surgery(ies) done NOW and let his rehab begin ASAP.clean out your smokes (pm's), and i'll tell ya what i know...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-29-2005, 09:08 PM
I'd do it, but I'm just not that type.

I am.

For the right price...

tk13
08-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't think I saw this mentioned, but anybody realize this move helped put the Eagles about $15 million under the cap? Talk about a good team having money to spend... no worries about "cap hell", that's for sure.

Frankie
08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
clean out your smokes (pm's), and i'll tell ya what i know...
Done, dude.

CoMoChief
08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Hmm, just the Cards and Seahags contacted him? Oh, well, I guess we'll have to look else--- HEY!

Berry, Dockett, and Simon would be a pretty nasty DL IMO