PDA

View Full Version : So what’s with all the hate in Lawrence?

redbrian
08-29-2005, 04:21 PM
For a town steeped in the bastion of liberalism, it sure does seem to have its share of rough and rowdy clubs.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12502901.htm

STEWART’S ROLE IN BRAWL UNCLEAR

Another KU player is injured in bar fight

By JASON KING

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — As if the Summer of 2005 hadn’t been bad enough, yet another Kansas athlete was involved in a bar fight near the Jayhawks’ campus over the weekend.

Rodrick Stewart, a guard on the KU basketball team, was hit in the head with a flashlight during an altercation early Sunday morning at Abe and Jake’s, a popular Lawrence night spot that has long been frequented by Jayhawk football and basketball players.

Witnesses said the dispute involving Stewart occurred as he was walking up a staircase that led to the bar’s exit. Noticeably dazed after being hit, Stewart was helped into the parking lot, where he lay on the ground until paramedics arrived.

Stewart, who transferred to KU from Southern Cal in January, was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by ambulance. He received four staples to close a wound in his head and was released shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday.

The cause of the fight — and Stewart’s role in it — was still unclear late Sunday evening. Kansas coach Bill Self said he’d been informed that Stewart was trying to leave the building when the incident occurred. He said Stewart was not an instigator.

“All reports we have received indicate Rodrick had no involvement in the altercation other than him being hit in the head while going up the stairs,” Self said. “He received four staples to the top of his head and is feeling fine. Rodrick’s being at Abe and Jake’s did not violate team policy.”

Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins declined to comment.
“I don’t know enough about it yet to say anything,” Perkins said.
Stewart was among a large number of KU football and basketball players present during the brawl at Abe and Jake’s, one of the few establishments in Lawrence that allows patrons ages 18 and up.

The fight involving Stewart was one of a handful of skirmishes that occurred shortly after 1 a.m. Lawrence Police Sgt. Mark Warren said officers responded to a call about 1:15 a.m. Warren said that no incident report was filed regarding the fight. He said he was unaware of the injury suffered by Stewart.

“If we were there and somebody was injured, we would have a report,” Warren said. “Now, if somebody was trying to hide something, that’s a different story. But I don’t have any report.”
One witness said as many as 10 police officers tried to break up the various fights inside the bar.

“Some of them even had to use pepper spray,” the witness said. “I’m telling you, things were totally out of control. It started with one fight up by the stage, and then it just escalated. At one point it seemed like there were little minifights going on in every corner of the bar. It looked like a WWF Battle Royal.”

Although some were seen pushing and shoving, it was unclear whether other KU athletes played a major role in the altercation.

Asked whether any KU football or basketball players were involved in the fight, Abe and Jake’s general manager Mike Logan said: “I don’t think that’s the case. It’s a bunch of hearsay. No one has any substantiated evidence to prove that. We’ve never had any problems with athletes in the past. It was just a bar fight; people arguing about something stupid.”
Regardless of guilt, Stewart’s involvement in the Abe and Jake’s fiasco is sure to generate more negative publicity for an athletic department that continues to take image hits.

■ Jayhawks football coach Mark Mangino dismissed star tailback John Randle from the team on April 15 after his arrest on battery charges. The incident marked the fourth time since 2003 that Randle had been arrested.

■ Witnesses blamed basketball star J.R. Giddens for instigating a May 19 Lawrence bar fight that left five people with stab wounds. Giddens left KU’s program under pressure on June 30 and transferred to New Mexico. C.J. Giles, who witnesses said also threw punches during the fight, remains on the team.

■ In July, Kansas self-imposed a two-year probation on its athletic department for academic and recruiting improprieties in its football and basketball programs.

■ It was only a week ago when Bruce Ringwood, a fullback on the KU football squad, was arrested and charged with assault for allegedly attacking a man and his wife during last Sunday’s Kenny Chesney concert at Kemper Arena. He’s been suspended from the team indefinitely.

DJay23
08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
jesus, self needs to get control of these kids.

eazyb81
08-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Cincinnati West...

ROFL

DJay23
08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Cincinnati West...

ROFL
We'll still beat the living shit out of Mizzou.

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 04:48 PM
We'll still beat the living shit out of Mizzou.It's not nice to pick on the special needs kids.

Braincase
08-29-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm sure there are never any fights anywhere in Columbia, except for the occassional slapfests when two "guys" show up at the club wearing the same blouse.

redbrian
08-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm sure there are never any fights anywhere in Columbia, except for the occassional slapfests when two "guys" show up at the club wearing the same blouse.

yea those KU players are so tuff they punch out middle aged women.

DJay23
08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
yea those KU players are so tuff they punch out middle aged women.
Do you really want to start an argument about college basketball players who hit women?

eazyb81
08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
We'll still beat the living shit out of Mizzou.

Already forgotten 72-68 huh?

Why am I not surprised.....

redbrian
08-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Do you really want to start an argument about college basketball players who hit women?

"It was only a week ago when Bruce Ringwood, a fullback on the KU football squad, was arrested and charged with assault for allegedly attacking a man and his wife during last Sunday’s Kenny Chesney concert at Kemper Arena. He’s been suspended from the team indefinitely."

Football player, not a bb player keep up with the times.

DJay23
08-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Already forgotten 72-68 huh?

Why am I not surprised.....
Sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes.

DJay23
08-29-2005, 05:06 PM
"It was only a week ago when Bruce Ringwood, a fullback on the KU football squad, was arrested and charged with assault for allegedly attacking a man and his wife during last Sunday’s Kenny Chesney concert at Kemper Arena. He’s been suspended from the team indefinitely."

sorry, DAD. :p

Braincase
08-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Not a football player at KU. We do that "disciplinary action" thing. We get rid of our trash. Yours goes to the dean's house and rides ATV's.

ROYC75
08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Probally just some damn drunk fan still pissed off about the Bucknell game ........

All will be fine when BB season starts again.

redbrian
08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Not a football player at KU. We do that "disciplinary action" thing. We get rid of our trash. Yours goes to the dean's house and rides ATV's.

You might want to check your facts on that, John Randle (although released from the team) is still at KU , even after 4 arrest

On the other hand MU goes to the jail cell and tells the kid he is not coming back to MU.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Probally just some damn drunk fan still pissed off about the Bucknell game ........

All will be fine when BB season starts again.
Little thing called Football season, before Basketball season. :) Wouldn't expect you to know that though. :p

redbrian
08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Little thing called Football season, before Basketball season. :) Wouldn't expect you to know that though. :p

The kid hit in the head was a basketball player so roy is correct (in his remark), your just not keeping up with all the troubles at KU, I know the football team and bb team is competing to see who can get involved in the most brawls and its getting a little confusing.

“Rodrick Stewart, a guard on the KU basketball team, was hit in the head with a flashlight during an altercation early Sunday morning at Abe and Jake’s, a popular Lawrence night spot that has long been frequented by Jayhawk football and basketball players.”

Saulbadguy
08-29-2005, 05:40 PM
The kid hit in the head was a basketball player so roy is correct (in his remark), your just not keeping up with all the troubles at KU, I know the football team and bb team is competing to see who can get involved in the most brawls and its getting a little confusing.

Thats what I was talking about. Seems the FB program is having its fair share of troubles too.

ROYC75
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM

Really ? :rolleyes:

Funny, I don't recall playing Bucknell in football ? :shake:

It was .... a basketball player and a basketball comment ..... OK .

Sorry we have to explain things in detail to K-State fans......... :p

KcMizzou
08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm sure there are never any fights anywhere in Columbia, except for the occassional slapfests when two "guys" show up at the club wearing the same blouse.Wait wait wait... Mizzou fans calling KU a bunch of thugs, and KU fans questioning MU players' sexuality?

What the hell happened here..... bizzaro world?

ENDelt260
08-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Wait wait wait... Mizzou fans calling KU a bunch of thugs, and KU fans questioning MU players' sexuality?

What the hell happened here..... bizzaro world?
What's there to question about KU players' sexuality? Wasn't Boschee out of the closet?

Braincase
08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
You might want to check your facts on that, John Randle (although released from the team) is still at KU , even after 4 arrest

On the other hand MU goes to the jail cell and tells the kid he is not coming back to MU.

No, the taped phone calls from the chancellor's wife were in regard to the features and benefits of dating girls from the right sorority houses.

Are the crackers still shakin'?

DJay23
08-29-2005, 06:45 PM
31-28

Saulbadguy
08-29-2005, 06:48 PM
31-28
:p

I wonder if Roy knew that.

ROYC75
08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
How could I forget the Kansas State Championship ? Of course KU won.......

Doesn't happen often anymore, ya know what I mean .....

ROYC75
08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Now the Tiggers ....... that's a different story.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
When was the last time the Tiggers won in the state of Kansas?

DJay23
08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
When was the last time the Tiggers won in the state of Kansas?
Been a few years I reckon

Pants
08-29-2005, 11:36 PM
For a town steeped in the bastion of liberalism, it sure does seem to have its share of rough and rowdy clubs.

It's called kids getting drunk and having fun, dumbf*ck.

go bowe
08-29-2005, 11:47 PM
It's called kids getting drunk and having fun, dumbf*ck.damn, they'll let just about anybody get drunk these days...

ChiTown
08-30-2005, 07:49 AM

ROFL

The irony in that statement is just oozing through the quote lines...........think about it.

Braincase
08-30-2005, 08:14 AM
ROFL

The irony in that statement is just oozing through the quote lines...........think about it.

So I'm a homer. :harumph:

I'm also the guy that told some of us KU fans to back off on the Mizzou slams some time ago because eventually it would come back and bite us in the ass.

gblowfish
08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
What this situation needs is a spin doctor!

redbrian
08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
What this situation needs is a spin doctor!
ROFL

I do think KU would be foolish not to hire you on the spot for all of their ad campaigns.

Braincase
08-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I'll do a moratorium on KU homerism... I won't be a KU homer until redbrian bashes KU or tries to defend MU when it's Mizzou that screws up. Fair enough?