PDA

View Full Version : Superdome roof shredded by Katrina

Herzig
08-29-2005, 10:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050830/ap_on_re_us/katrina_superdome

Hurricane Katrina Rips Superdome Roof

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer 50 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - They lined up by the thousands to get inside, clutching meager belongings and crying children. A few hours later, the power went out, turning the building into a muggy mess. Then part of the roof blew off.
ADVERTISEMENT

For an estimated 8,000 to 9,000 refugees many of them poor and frail the Louisiana Superdome was a welcome shelter from Hurricane Katrina, but a miserable one at the same time.

With water pressure dwindling, the bathrooms are filthy. Barrels overflow with trash. Anxious to see what happened to their homes, a large group of refugees gathered by barricades near an exit and demanded that they be allowed to leave. They were told it is not yet safe.

"We all want to be home," said Kenelra Morrison, 23. "We know we can't be home, but you can't help being frustrated."

The refugees spent Monday sitting in the seats of the stadium and others sprawled out on blankets and towels on the floor. They played cards and read books and magazines in the areas of the arena where the lights worked in the 77,000-seat stadium, home of the NFL's New Orleans Saints. Refugees were given two meals a day.

Superdome and government emergency officials stressed that they did not expect the huge roof to fail because of the relatively small breaches caused by Katrina's winds.

Refugees sitting below the holes were moved across the arena and away from any falling debris, said Doug Thornton, regional manager of the company that manages the stadium.

"I could have stayed at home and watched my roof blow off," said one of the refugees, Harald Johnson, 43. "Instead, I came down here and watched the Superdome roof blow off. It's no big deal; getting wet is not like dying."

In addition to the two holes, water was leaking in through many other areas, including elevators and stairwells, as the wind forced water in through any small opening. Across Poydras Street, numerous shattered windows were visible on high-rise office buildings.

"I was OK until that roof fell off," said 82-year-old Anice Sexton. "I was terrified then. Otherwise it hasn't been too bad. People are so nice and the people staying here have really been cooperative. But the washrooms are terrible."

Police chief Eddie Compass said he planned on letting the people go outside into a concourse area to get some fresh air. Doug Thornton, a regional vice president for the company that manages the Superdome, said he did not know how long the refugees would be in the building.

"Right now I'm just worried about how to keep 10,000 people comfortable in a building with no air conditioning and very little light. Our focus is strictly on that."

Power failed around 5 a.m., triggering groans from the crowd. The inside of the Superdome quickly became very hot with no air conditioning, and condensation made some floors wet and slippery.

The Superdome opened its doors at noon Sunday, and New Orleans' most frail residents got priority. The stadium is by far the most solid of the Big Easy's 10 refuges for the estimated 100,000 city residents who don't have the means, or strength, to join a mandatory evacuation.

"They hadn't opened up and let us in here, there'd have been a lot of people floating down river tomorrow," said Merrill Rice, 64. "If it's as bad as they say, I know my old house won't stand it."

Residents lined up for blocks as National Guardsman searched them for guns, knives and drugs. It was almost 10:30 p.m. before the last person was searched and allowed in. "We've got sick babies, sick old people and everything in between," said Dr. Kevin Stephens Sr., in charge of the medical shelter in the Superdome. "We're seen strokes, chest pain, diabetes patients passing out, seizures, people without medicine, people with the wrong medicine. It's been busy."

Morris Bivens, 53, a painter, came to the dome with his wife, daughter and five granddaughters ranging in age from 1 to 9.

"I had to come," he said. "Not for me. I ride these out all the time. But I knew I couldn't save those children in this one if something happened."

Dr. Thuong Vo was on his honeymoon in New Orleans with his pregnant wife, Stephanie Tran, when they were taken to the Superdome. Vo has been treating people during the day and sleeping on the concrete floor at night with his wife.

"Well, it'll probably be an adventurous baby," he said. "It's certainly been an eventful honeymoon."

Herzig
08-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Pic

Phobia
08-29-2005, 10:33 PM
If the washrooms are terrible, well, uh - you've got 9,000 laborers available to clean that shit up. Don't bitch. Grab a damn sponge.

Iowanian
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
I guess thats probably the final straw to moving the Aints to LA?

Herzig
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
If the washrooms are terrible, well, uh - you've got 9,000 laborers available to clean that shit up. Don't bitch. Grab a damn sponge.

Really..the nerve of all those poor and frail people.

Phobia
08-29-2005, 10:40 PM

Oh bullshit. I saw the lines into the dome on TV. Every person was able bodied enough to run a damned sponge and a plunger. Every single one of them.

Now, the bedridden 80 year olds are fine.... but there's an entire workforce available to clean the shitters. That's the least they can do, IMO.

go bowe
08-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh bullshit. I saw the lines into the dome on TV. Every person was able bodied enough to run a damned sponge and a plunger. Every single one of them.

Now, the bedridden 80 year olds are fine.... but there's an entire workforce available to clean the shitters. That's the least they can do, IMO.i dunno...

don't you think the lack of water pressure might have something to do with the condition of the rest rooms? With water pressure dwindling, the bathrooms are filthy...

C-Mac
08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
i dunno...

don't you think the lack of water pressure might have something to do with the condition of the rest rooms?

I would think that lack of water would be more devastating than the lack of water pressure and that has nothing to do with the "barrels overflowing with trash".

Iowanian
08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
...like living conditions that smell like raw sewage are anything new to Nawlinians.

Herzig
08-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Now, the bedridden 80 year olds are fine.... but there's an entire workforce available to clean the shitters. That's the least they can do, IMO.

Agreed totally. I enjoyed giving you a little shit there!
ROFL

VonneMarie
08-29-2005, 11:08 PM
...like living conditions that smell like raw sewage are anything new to Nawlinians.
ROFL

stevieray
08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
they seek and receive refuge then complain about conditions...

That's just sad.

Iowanian
08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
wait until the bajillion dollar lawsuits vs the govt start rolling in for their "inhumane treatment"

C-Mac
08-29-2005, 11:18 PM

That's just sad.

Remember the Israelites, didnt take long till many started thinking about going back to Egypt and becoming slaves again.

stevieray
08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Remember the Israelites, didnt take long till many started thinking about going back to Egypt and becoming slaves again.

Call me when they've been there forty years.

Joe Seahawk
08-29-2005, 11:25 PM
The roof on the Superdome is the same type of roof the kingdome used to have, when a leak developed in the kingdome roof some interior ceiling tiles got wet and began to fall.. The County was forced to close the stadium until the roof was completely re-done which took about 6 months if I remember correctly.. (the Mariners had something like 120 road games that year :rolleyes: )

If the superdome has interior ceiling tiles, it'll be a while before they will allow games in there.

C-Mac
08-29-2005, 11:35 PM
wait until the bajillion dollar lawsuits vs the govt start rolling in for their "inhumane treatment"

:shake:

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2005, 11:44 PM

That's just sad.Yeah, screw these ungrateful assholes!

"We all want to be home," said Kenelra Morrison, 23. "We know we can't be home, but you can't help being frustrated."

"I could have stayed at home and watched my roof blow off," said one of the refugees, Harald Johnson, 43. "Instead, I came down here and watched the Superdome roof blow off. It's no big deal; getting wet is not like dying."

"I was OK until that roof fell off," said 82-year-old Anice Sexton. "I was terrified then. Otherwise it hasn't been too bad. People are so nice and the people staying here have really been cooperative. But the washrooms are terrible."

"They hadn't opened up and let us in here, there'd have been a lot of people floating down river tomorrow," said Merrill Rice, 64. "If it's as bad as they say, I know my old house won't stand it."

"I had to come," he said. "Not for me. I ride these out all the time. But I knew I couldn't save those children in this one if something happened."

"Well, it'll probably be an adventurous baby," he said. "It's certainly been an eventful honeymoon."How dare that whiny little 82-year-old bitch mention that the bathrooms are terrible (even if the odds are pretty high that they must be)?! Hare dare they express their fear and gratitude after going through a storm that could very well have destroyed their entire city, if things hadn't changed at the last minute?!

I'm glad there are people like you in this world, SR, who can point out the faults of those terrified, possibly wet bastards, from the comfort of your dry home.

Phobia
08-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Psicosis is nominated to clean the head.

stevieray
08-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, screw these ungrateful assholes!

How dare that whiny little 82-year-old bitch mention that the bathrooms are terrible (because I'm absolutely certain they must be, with no running water)?! Hare dare they express their fear and gratitude after going through a storm that could very well have destroyed their entire city, if things hadn't changed at the last minute?!

I'm glad there are people like you in this world, SR, who can point out the faults of those terrified, possibly wet bastards, from the comfort of your dry home.

do you have a point?

those people are lucky to be alive.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 12:01 AM
do you have a point?My point was that your comments were not representative of the statements made by the people who went through this.

those people are lucky to be alive.Which they fully acknowledge, if you'd bothered reading the article before jumping onto the "(OTHER) people are so terrible" train.

People suck ass, by and large, but neither you nor I is above that.

stevieray
08-30-2005, 12:12 AM
My point was that your comments were not representative of the statements made by the people who went through this.

Which they fully acknowledge, if you'd bothered reading the article before jumping onto the "(OTHER) people are so terrible" train.

ya phil.

point taken, Psi. I was wrong in my assumption.

C-Mac
08-30-2005, 12:20 AM
My point was that your comments were not representative of the statements made by the people who went through this.

Which they fully acknowledge, if you'd bothered reading the article before jumping onto the "(OTHER) people are so terrible" train.

I think that the jest of all this is that if you dont like the way something is and you are able to do something about it, do it or just don't complain.
You wouldnt think emptying trash would be that big of an issue, but then again just take a ride thru some of our neighborhoods and you can quickly see it must be an overwhelming task for many.

Simplex3
08-30-2005, 12:21 AM
What, poor people are too good to clean a s**tter?

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 04:04 AM
The toilets do not work. For all intents and purposes, they are very, very shallow latrines.

Yes, it is nasty, to an uncontrollable extent, and no, an 82-year-old woman (the one who mentioned the bathrooms being terrible) should not be looked down upon for not "clean(ing) a s**tter."

jspchief
08-30-2005, 07:40 AM
So they are supposed to clean the bathrooms with no running water, and take out the trash to the dumpster that is under 10 feet of water? Right.

I didn't take it as the lady complaining as much as she was just describing the conditions.

I'm really suprised at the overall lack of sympathy here on the Planet, in relation to this storm. We just narrowly missed what was forecasted to be the biggest natural disaster in the history of the US, and all people can do is say the victims had it coming and should shut up and be glad they're alive. Amazing.

stevieray
08-30-2005, 08:00 AM
So they are supposed to clean the bathrooms with no running water, and take out the trash to the dumpster that is under 10 feet of water? Right.

I didn't take it as the lady complaining as much as she was just describing the conditions.

I'm really suprised at the overall lack of sympathy here on the Planet, in relation to this storm. We just narrowly missed what was forecasted to be the biggest natural disaster in the history of the US, and all people can do is say the victims had it coming and should shut up and be glad they're alive. Amazing.

who said they had it coming?

jspchief
08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
who said they had it coming?Quite a few people did in the other hurricane thread.

Basically saying they deserve it since they decided to live in New Orleans.

StcChief
08-30-2005, 09:09 AM
For what it's worth.
Saints are suppose to have a home game on 18th.

chefsos
08-30-2005, 09:12 AM
For what it's worth.
Saints are suppose to have a home game on 18th.

After seeing the Dome, I'm wondering how Tulane Stadium is looking right about now.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 09:19 AM

I have to agree with ya..... I think everybody here sucks but you and me so far. :p

Phobia
08-30-2005, 09:33 AM
The toilets do not work. For all intents and purposes, they are very, very shallow latrines.

Yes, it is nasty, to an uncontrollable extent, and no, an 82-year-old woman (the one who mentioned the bathrooms being terrible) should not be looked down upon for not "clean(ing) a s**tter."

I don't expect an 82 year old woman to clean the shitter. I expect some of the able bodies to help around the dome making it livable. I don't care if there's no running water. We didn't have running water in GW1 and our shitters were pretty damn clean. The trash should be organized away from the living areas. It's not that hard to clean up after yourselves. They are guests in the dome. They should conduct themselves as such, IMO. But, I guess they feel entitled or something. The government is gonna send people to take care of it. Welfare mentality.

Phobia
08-30-2005, 09:36 AM

I'm completely sympathetic. I'm considering going down to help with the cleanup and rebuilding. It bothers me when people feel like the government should take care of everything for them.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
We didn't have running water in GW1 and our shitters were pretty damn clean.

NOW GIVE ME SOME MOTHERF*CKING PIE!

Iowanian
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm completely sympathetic. I'm considering going down to help with the cleanup and rebuilding. It bothers me when people feel like the government should take care of everything for them.

After the last big hurricane in Fl......some of my uncles went down with loaded trucks to help with the cleanup (chainsaws, chop saws, construction tools and supplies et al...with a couple of laborers).

The spent I think 10 days cleaning up and cutting people's homes out of tangles of trees. The said, that maybe 1 person as much as thanked them.....and alot sat around and watched them work (including HS aged boys and grown men who could have been at least moving brush)...I think some had the nerve to bitch about the noise of the chainsaws because they were napping....they finally said Fug it, and came home.

have fun with that.

StcChief
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
After seeing the Dome, I'm wondering how Tulane Stadium is looking right about now.

If it got the game outside where it belongs it would be worth.

Take whole Superdome thing apart.

StcChief
08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
After the last big hurricane in Fl......some of my uncles went down with loaded trucks to help with the cleanup (chainsaws, chop saws, construction tools and supplies et al...with a couple of laborers).

The spent I think 10 days cleaning up and cutting people's homes out of tangles of trees. The said, that maybe 1 person as much as thanked them.....and alot sat around and watched them work (including HS aged boys and grown men who could have been at least moving brush)...I think some had the nerve to bitch about the noise of the chainsaws because they were napping....they finally said Fug it, and came home.

have fun with that.

The civil war memories were coming back... Damn carpetbaggers from the North.

Lazy bastards.

ROFL

Iowanian
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
You got that right.........when I think of the south...the first thing that comes to mind is that renouned Work ethic...that and low maintenence women.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
After seeing the Dome, I'm wondering how Tulane Stadium is looking right about now.Uh... Tulane Stadium was demolished a long time ago.

The only possible option in NOLA is Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park, a 25,000-seat stadium Tulane has played at three or four times in the past few years. It's not even close to an option for Tulane to go to more than for the rare "hey, outside, cool!" game, much less the Saints.

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
I guess thats probably the final straw to moving the Aints to LA?ROFL

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM

Now, the bedridden 80 year olds are fine.... but there's an entire workforce available to clean the shitters. That's the least they can do, IMO.You racist. Most of them people were black.

DanT
08-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Uh... Tulane Stadium was demolished a long time ago.

The only possible option in NOLA is Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park, a 25,000-seat stadium Tulane has played at three or four times in the past few years. It's not even close to an option for Tulane to go to more than for the rare "hey, outside, cool!" game, much less the Saints.

Yeah, Tulane Stadium (http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/TulaneStadium.htm) was demolished in 1980. 10 years before that, the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV, there (http://www.kcchiefs.com/history/70s).

gblowfish
08-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Uh... Tulane Stadium was demolished a long time ago.

The only possible option in NOLA is Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park, a 25,000-seat stadium Tulane has played at three or four times in the past few years. It's not even close to an option for Tulane to go to more than for the rare "hey, outside, cool!" game, much less the Saints.I've been reading the Saints boards this afternoon. Very moving. Lots of folks are wondering whether the rest of the country care about them, since this disaster didn't happen in NYC or California.

It's going to take a long time to get the support structure around the stadium back to normal: parking, hotels, restaurants, etc. They're thinking all the Saints home games will be moved to Baton Rouge and played at LSU's home field.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Some of the college impact, since we're discussing sports:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2147003

Tulane and Southern Miss were scheduled to end their seasons Nov. 19. Now, their opener will become their finale on Nov. 26.

ESPN2, which was to carry Sunday's game, told the conference it will still try honoring those plans.

Tulane's football and women's soccer teams fled New Orleans on Sunday, making a 9-hour bus ride to Jackson, Miss. They've been practicing at Jackson State University, although the storm cut power to the campus Monday afternoon after battering Louisiana and heading east.

Tulane will pack its bags and bus to Dallas, where Southern Methodist University will play host until Tulane can return to New Orleans.

Southern Mississippi, which is in battered Hattiesburg, will travel to Memphis, which will be its host.

LSU announced in a statement it had chosen to reschedule its contest so the campus could help the recovery effort.

"The scope of this tragedy is becoming more evident as time passes, and LSU's focus in on assisting the recovery effort of our state," LSU chancellor Sean O'Keefe said. "LSU is a primary evacuation site, and we are not going to conduct any activities that could deter our mission of assisting in the recovery."Sports really are just totally unimportant at this point, but I don't see any way Tulane or the Saints can play in New Orleans for possibly months to come. As for Southern Miss, I have no idea how bad the damage is in Hattiesburg, but maybe they could play in Jackson if The Rock is unavailable.

DanT
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/sports-7/112541394097782.xml&storylist=louisiana

Tiger Stadium escapes significant storm damage
8/30/2005, 9:53 a.m. CT
The Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) LSU's Tiger Stadium, which is undergoing a major expansion, escaped significant damage during Baton Rouge's brush with Hurricane Katrina, university officials say.

With work continuing on the new west upper deck, No. 5-ranked LSU is scheduled to open the season by hosting North Texas on Saturday.

"It looks like everything came through the storm very well," senior associate athletic director Dan Radakovich said. "Obviously we have to speak with the guys who do the work when they get back. But from the standpoint of us eyeballing the stadium and the grounds around it, it's in as good a shape as can be expected."

Construction crews suspended work Sunday on the $60 million west upper deck project, which was expected to be mostly usable for LSU's first two games and completely finished for its third game Sept. 24 against Tennessee.

The hurricane forced LSU coach Les Miles to juggle the Tigers' game week practice schedule. He said he gave the team Monday off and resumed practice Tuesday.

"We just hope like heck the people in New Orleans and elsewhere aren't too adversely affected by this," Miles said.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 04:39 PM
I've been reading the Saints boards this afternoon. Very moving. Lots of folks are wondering whether the rest of the country care about them, since this disaster didn't happen in NYC or California. It's an absolute shame that so many seem to have flipped their attention away from this at the earliest possible chance ("Would you look at that, the Superdome didn't collapse... in other news, look at this squirrel waterski!").

I just hope the recovery efforts aren't hurt by this short attention span.

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
It's an absolute shame that so many seem to have flipped their attention away from this at the earliest possible chance ("Would you look at that, the Superdome didn't collapse... in other news, look at this squirrel waterski!").

I just hope the recovery efforts aren't hurt by this short attention span.I was really getting concerned about where Cindy Sheehan was.