PDA

View Full Version : Official tired of preseason time to talk Chiefs vs. Jets thread...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-29-2005, 10:59 PM
It's that time again...

Time for the real bullets to fly...

Come here to talk Chiefs and Jets week 1.

Match ups, weaknesses, strengths, Ty Law, Chad's noodle arm, predictions, keys to the game, yada yada, whatever....

I didn't even watch the MNF game tonight due to tiredness of meaningless games...I'm ready to get the real games started. :)

Halfcan
08-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Chiefs 45 Jets 12

SNR
08-29-2005, 11:29 PM
To be quite honest, I haven't paid attention to the Jets at all this year. I have no clue what's up with their defense or their offense. I do know we will score points, and that Curtis Martin will be tough to stop.

It's at Arrowhead. We're good and pissed off and want meat. Gunther has these guys playing with passion, all he needs is a real game to turn them loose in.

Chiefs win. Kendrell Bell gets 10 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 3 sacks, and an INT :D

Bowser
08-29-2005, 11:33 PM
I really don't like the AFC East - any of them. If we win 3-2, I'll be a happy guy.

But neckdemon has me worried. According to him, the Jets are going to score 48, and hold us to 13.

Halfcan
08-29-2005, 11:44 PM
lol, hold us to 13-man I got 1k for that bet.

SNR you had a typo-I think you meant DJ was going to do that. Bell?? Never figured you for an optimist.

Earthling
08-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Chiefs will win this game...(I checked with this magic ball that my daughter has)

Halfcan
08-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Lol, if the magic ball said it is true mark it as a win. Good one you Old Codger.

KChiefsQT
08-30-2005, 02:37 AM
We're gonna win....
My prediction: KC 27 NY 24 orrr KC 31 NY 28.. I think it's gonna be close.

BigRock
08-30-2005, 03:09 AM
For whatever it's worth, Peter King had this to say in this week's MMQB:

"I think, after watching the Jets-Giants game the other night, I have to wonder what kind of year Chad Pennington is going to have. I like the Jets quarterback a lot. But Pennington threw two interceptions the other night that make you wonder whether he's going to be the premier quarterback he was on the verge of being before his shoulder injury and surgery last season. One was understandable. He had Laveranues Coles in the corner of the end zone with a Giants corner (rookie Corey Webster) closely guarding him. Pennington threw it up, obviously figuring Coles had a good chance to win the battle. But Webster made a spectacular play for the interception. Clearly, in close coverage like that near the corner of the end zone, Pennington has to throw it away and take the chippy field goal. The second was just dumb, a no-touch, no-loft short pass right into Michael Strahan's breadbasket in the end zone. The Jets' seven drives under Pennington on Friday night: 74 yards, then 3, 4, 5, 5, minus-2 and 5 yards. And the Giants' D doesn't exactly rival the '85 Bears. The Jets, like most teams, won't play the first team much at Philly in the preseason finale. And so Pennington will have to go into Arrowhead Stadium knowing he'll have to put up maybe 31 points to beat the league's best offensive team over the past three years, Kansas City, on opening day. And I wouldn't be very confident about that if I lived in Jetville."

philfree
08-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Our pass D against their passing attack. I think we'll stop the run for the most part so it's all about getting pressure on Pennington. That will take the pressure off our CBs who if left in coverage for to long could give up some big plays. McCareins is their tallest WR at 6'2" so we need to try and avoid the McCareins vs McCleon matchup. I Surtain has played against Coles and Moss before so he should be able to hold his own with either. And since neither is big in stature McCleon may be able to do O.K. with them as well.

If our O clicks like I think it will and we stop the run early we should be able to get pressure on Pennington. Add a little Arrowhead sound effect/homefield advantage and I think we win this one.

PhilFree:arrow:

KChiefsQT
08-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Our pass D against their passing attack.
Yikess... I'll be worried about this until someone steps up and takes the passing game into their own hand. I watched the replay of last sat's game and surtain looked like a pansy ass out there. On the flip side, the run d looked great!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either way, Jets will be leaving Arrowhead 0-1

Kraut
08-30-2005, 05:30 AM
To be quite honest, I haven't paid attention to the Jets at all this year. I have no clue what's up with their defense or their offense. I do know we will score points, and that Curtis Martin will be tough to stop.

It's at Arrowhead. We're good and pissed off and want meat. Gunther has these guys playing with passion, all he needs is a real game to turn them loose in.

Chiefs win. Kendrell Bell gets 10 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 3 sacks, and an INT :D
Living in NY I hear about the Jets all the time and I'm sick of it. To be honest they have a solid team on both sides of the ball. Many in the NY sports media are saying that they can make a run at the Big Game :rolleyes: But on the other hand I have to say that the Chiefs have the offense to put them past the Jets. The running game for KC will cripple the Jets and make them have to throw the ball to come back. And we all know what can happen if Pennington has to win the game for the Jets. Im looking for a hard faught Chiefs win. Holmes will have a huge game as well as Green and the passing game. Score: Chiefs 35 Jets 21

Wile_E_Coyote
08-30-2005, 06:34 AM
(8-8) CIN(H) (31-24) W
(12-4) SD(A) (34-28) W
(4-12) MIA(A) (17-9) W
(9-7) BUF(H) (16-4) W
(2-14) SF(H) (22-14) W
(14-2) NE(A) (7-13) L
(2-14) MIA(H) (41-14) W
(9-7) BUF(A) (17-22) L
(9-7) BALT(H) (17-20) L
(4-12) CLE(A) (10-7) W
(6-10) AZ(A) (13-3) W
(7-9) HOU(H) (29-7) W
(15-1) PIT(A) (6-17) L
(9-7) SEA(H) (37-14) W
(14-2) NE(H) (7-23) L
(8-8) STL(A) (29-32) L

their claim to fame with an easy '04 schedule, beating SD in SD twice

patteeu
08-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Our pass D against their passing attack. I think we'll stop the run for the most part so it's all about getting pressure on Pennington. That will take the pressure off our CBs who if left in coverage for to long could give up some big plays. McCareins is their tallest WR at 6'2" so we need to try and avoid the McCareins vs McCleon matchup. I Surtain has played against Coles and Moss before so he should be able to hold his own with either. And since neither is big in stature McCleon may be able to do O.K. with them as well.

If our O clicks like I think it will and we stop the run early we should be able to get pressure on Pennington. Add a little Arrowhead sound effect/homefield advantage and I think we win this one.

FYI, Santana Moss was traded to the Redskins for Coles. :)

philfree
08-30-2005, 06:55 AM
FYI, Santana Moss was traded to the Redskins for Coles. :)

:) He was listed on the Jets roster as well as Coles :) I couldn't remember who their WRs were off the top of my head so I went to their roster on cbs sportsline and he was listed.

Gaz
08-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Can we put the screws on Pennington?

That will determine the outcome of the game.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not too happy about depending on the Chiefs front four.

Piper
08-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Lurking Jets fan here.

I won't come here and predict a Jets win at arrowhead but over the last few years the Jets have been a pretty good road team. The biggest question marks are
Offense
Chad arm (obviously) - it looks heal but he threw two hideous int's in 3rd preseason game. Take that for what it is worth (he was nearly flawless including a couple of deep balls in second preseason game.

New offensive system installed by new o-coordinator (from Tenn)

2nd year player at RT, replacing steady but unspectacular Kareem McKensie.

Blaylock replace Jordan in back-up role - not much impact because Edwards never gave Jordan much of a chance.

Defense -

John Abraham - our best pass rusher just signed his tender and reported and the pu$$y will no doubt only be available for about 15 plays in week 1.
DLine - Only allowed 2 100 yard rushers last year (I think) but had to replace a DT who was steady but unspectacular(Ferguson), while premier DT has a broken hand and will be playing with a cast.

Ty Law - Huge upgrade to the secondary but only signed two weeks ago.

Frankly I don't know what to espect because I don't get amped up about preseason because it is often a mirage, in both directions.

But like everyone else, I just want to get this thing started...

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

philfree
08-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Can we put the screws on Pennington?

That will determine the outcome of the game.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not too happy about depending on the Chiefs front four.

Let me translate this. "Crush the pencile neck!"

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 08:06 AM
There's no point in discussing the Jets. Their defense will own us, and Chad will have a field day against Dexter McCleon.

We suck, they're on their way to the Super Bowl.

chefsos
08-30-2005, 08:16 AM
There's no point in discussing the Jets. Their defense will own us, and Chad will have a field day against Dexter McCleon.

We suck, they're on their way to the Super Bowl.

Yep, Neckstrademonus has us all covered. :)

StcChief
08-30-2005, 08:19 AM
The record for first time road QB at Arrowhead....
What is that again....

We beat the Jets in a 31-17 game.

Pennington will be shaking his head.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Why the **** is this thread on the second page?

This should be stickied, fo real (thass rigggghhttt).

Piper
08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Why the **** is this thread on the second page?

This should be stickied, fo real (thass rigggghhttt).

Tried to chime in from the visitors viewpoint but it doesn't seem like football is a big discussion item yet.
Maybe next week.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Tried to chime in from the visitors viewpoint but it doesn't seem like football is a big discussion item yet.
Maybe next week.

YOU GOTTA DUNK THAT SHIT!!!

Cormac
08-30-2005, 10:27 AM
There has been a lot of talk about the Jets this year, but I agree with the lurker fan, there are loads of ?s on their defense. How can they survive without their previous strength (D-line). Abraham has just showed up at practice, Ferguson is gone, and Dwayne Robertson will be out for the game. I don't know who's left in that case. Apart from Vilma and Law (how healthy?), they don't have a whole lot of household names on D....

I think it will be a tough game, but I expect us to win.

Also, I think too much is made of Chad Pennington's lack of arm strength.....give me a smart leader at QB ahead of a strong-armed QB (Boller) any day.

Chiefnj
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
There has been a lot of talk about the Jets this year, but I agree with the lurker fan, there are loads of ?s on their defense. How can they survive without their previous strength (D-line). Abraham has just showed up at practice, Ferguson is gone, and Dwayne Robertson will be out for the game. I don't know who's left in that case. Apart from Vilma and Law (how healthy?), they don't have a whole lot of household names on D....

Also, I think too much is made of Chad Pennington's lack of arm strength.....give me a smart leader at QB ahead of a strong-armed QB (Boller) any day.

Where did you read that Robertson is out?

bobbything
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
I think there's no real way to tell, right now. All things being equal, I'll take KC with the win. Simply because it's at Arrowhead. I guarantee there's going to be more energy and excitement for this opening game than any in recent memory. And that's saying a lot.

KC 31
NYJ 27

Just a homer hunch.

Piper
08-30-2005, 10:32 AM

Agree on the ?'s, but one correction. Robertson will play with a cast and in 'trying to put lipstick on a pig' category, Abraham's replacement is a better run stopper than Abraham but nowhere near the pass rusher.

The only unit on the D without ?'s are the LB's who are returning 3 strong players in Vilma, Barton, and Hobson(again strong in run support)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 10:33 AM
I think there's no real way to tell, right now. All things being equal, I'll take KC with the win. Simply because it's at Arrowhead. I guarantee there's going to be more energy and excitement for this opening game than any in recent memory. And that's saying a lot.

KC 31
NYJ 27

Just a homer hunch.

So you got the Chiefs winning...That's not a homeristic view.

I think the whole Chiefsplanet would agree.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM

I saw it on ESPN the other day.

Cormac
08-30-2005, 10:38 AM

I forget where I heard it now. But I tend to believe Piper, that he'll play with a cast.....

Nzoner
08-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Maybe next week.

The Jets game isn't a big discussion just yet but I just counted 15 football related threads on the front page.

Piper
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
The Jets game isn't a big discussion just yet but I just counted 15 football related threads on the front page.

Certainly a good sign that the season is almost here, finally.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Agree on the ?'s, but one correction. Robertson will play with a cast and in 'trying to put lipstick on a pig' category, Abraham's replacement is a better run stopper than Abraham but nowhere near the pass rusher.

The only unit on the D without ?'s are the LB's who are returning 3 strong players in Vilma, Barton, and Hobson(again strong in run support)

I was listening to an interview on Sunday with your rook DB Kerry Rhodes and it sounds like they really don't know who is going to start back there even now...

Cormac
08-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Piper,

From an FFL perspective....what do you expect out of Blaylock this year? I was horribly thin after an auto-draft so I picked him up on the off chance he'll be involved a lot (or injury to Martin). Has he impressed Heimerdinger? Will Edwards interfere with his involvement like you said he did with Jordan's? Thanks.

Piper
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Piper,

From an FFL perspective....what do you expect out of Blaylock this year? I was horribly thin after an auto-draft so I picked him up on the off chance he'll be involved a lot (or injury to Martin). Has he impressed Heimerdinger? Will Edwards interfere with his involvement like you said he did with Jordan's? Thanks.

He hasn't played much but the coaches have said good things about him. Unfortunately, from a FF perspective I can't see him getting alot of carries if Martin is healthy. Edwards rides Martin as long as he can, to a fault. He promised Jordan every year that he would get more carries and never made good on it. I have no confidence that Edwards/dinger will change that approach unless, as you say Martin gets injured.

But the x factor is Heimerdinger. I don't know enough about him to get a feel for whether he can buck that trend.

Sorry not much help

Chiefs Pantalones
09-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm getting pumped.

The season is only 1 week away. Oh man. I can't wait!

Good news, btw, Jets S Kerry Rhodes will start vs. the Chiefs next week. Not to mention...he's a rookie. Dinner time, Tony G.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Also, Jets are playing now on cbs. You'll only get it if you have east coast DTV.

tiptap
09-01-2005, 06:06 PM
The Jets running game was better than the Chiefs last year. Not in absolute production but for the amount of time the offense was on the field. But just like the Chiefs lost a steady but unspectacular RT two years ago, this is the case for NYJ at the start of this season. This means that the Jets game will suffer on the right side and they were very productive running to the right (as opposed to the Chiefs last year). I don't think Chad is the right QB for the vertical game imagined for this team. Especially if the running game drops off from last year. And run defense along the line was one of the bright spots last year. The tackle play against the run was in the top 10. It was the cuts to the outside (are you listening Jarod?) and lack of LB play that let those big plays take place. Our LB are better and the line play will match last years production barring injuries. So the Jets will be in the passing game. They have the WR to do damage and our impaired secondary will be tested.
So it will come down to how productive the new WR will be on both teams. They have the better WR we have the best TE. Let the game begin.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Yes!

The preseason is done!!

bump

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2005, 09:29 PM
DV's first regular season press conference is Tuesday at 11am and will be aired on 810 and 610.

keg in kc
09-03-2005, 09:32 PM
This is going to be a long f*cking week.

And we better not f*cking lose.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2005, 09:36 PM
This is going to be a long f*cking week.

And we better not f*cking lose.

No doubt.

I will be so ticked off if we do.

I'm going to the game, so that would suck even more.

I like our chances. I see 2003 all over again (hopefully different results). Our defense with some new additions, wanting to make a statement in the first game, etc.