PDA

View Full Version : RAND: Brief glimpse of Green reveals a lot

C-Mac
08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
RAND: Brief glimpse of Green reveals a lot
Aug 30, 2005, 6:03:46 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

Trent Green-bashing was at a peak early in the 2002 season, when I listened to a Chiefs fan insist that Dick Vermeil needed to change quarterbacks. The fan claimed that Jonathan Quinn, a big, strong-armed prospect should be the guy.

Quinn finally replaced Green on Saturday night in a 23-17 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. But this was in a pre-season game after Green had flashed mid-season form and left after a blocker stepped on his foot as his second drive ended with an interception. That came after six straight completions and the way Green led the Chiefs to a touchdown on the opening drive, it looked as if they could’ve had three more touchdowns by halftime.

Quinn, who’d been looking for work since the Bears released him, was struggling to reacquaint himself with the Chiefs’ offense. Larry Johnson’s 97-yard run marked the Chiefs only other touchdown. With Green at the controls, the Chiefs’ offense was a racecar blowing away everything else on the track. Without Green, the offense was just trying to complete a few laps.

The point here isn’t to belittle Quinn’s performance under trying circumstances. It’s to remind us why Green’s so important to the Chiefs and why quarterback is the most important position in football. Now, I can’t really blame you if you’re saying, “Duh!” or “Are they really paying you to write something that obvious?”

Yet, you’d be surprised how often people lose sight of a marquee quarterback’s value. They’ll claim that if quarterback is so important, how come Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl but Trent Dilfer did? Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to 14 straight regular-season wins last year, has become the poster child for those who think proven quarterbacks are overrated. In the wake up of Big Ben’s success, the Bills ditched veteran Drew Bledsoe for J.P. Losman, an unproven second-year player.

I’m sure the Bills can win with Losman. All they have to do is give him the NFL’s top-ranked defense and second-ranked running game, as the Steelers gave Roethlisberger. But life’s a lot easier if you have a quarterback who can elevate a team rather than if you need a dominant defense and running game so you can elevate your quarterback.

Then you have critics who become so enamored with a coach’s offensive genius that they think anybody could win as his quarterback. Joe Gibbs, in fact, won Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks during his first go-around with the Redskins. This will happen again when pigs fly. Denver’s Mike Shanahan, one of the best offensive coaches around, still hasn’t won a playoff game since John Elway retired after the 1998 season.

People point out, with justification, that a quarterback can’t win by himself. Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez and the league’s best offensive line, certainly, have allowed Green to maximize his success. And now Johnson’s giving the Chiefs a second big-time running back. But we all saw Saturday night how ordinary the Chiefs’ starting offense, which played the first half, became once Green went to the sidelines. Green has great weapons, but not just any quarterback has the talent and savvy to make them fire.

Green’s short but sweet performance should let Chiefs’ fan breathe easier, despite a third straight pre-season loss. With that opening drive, the Chiefs provided a meaningful glimpse behind the curtain that showed the league’s top-ranked offense still has its hum. The defense took another step forward, too, despite cornerback Patrick Surtain’s woes.

The Chiefs have learned the hard way that they can’t win consistently with offense alone. But the best way to measure their pulse is still to measure Green’s performance. It was as strong as ever on Saturday night.

RedDread
08-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Green is the one player whos injury would singlehandly derail our season.

Rukdafaidas
08-30-2005, 09:21 AM
You know, I've said that same thing probably 100 times the last couple of seasons.
Now, I'm not so sure. After watching LJ the other night, I'm somewhat convinced that we could flat out run the ball down a team's throat and still score a lot of points. With our offensive line, Priest and LJ, I don't know if a team could stop us, even if they knew we were going to run every down.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Trent Green is the greatest QB EVAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!

trndobrd
08-30-2005, 09:29 AM
I've got to find a job where all I have to do is write a piece of poorly worded drivel once a week making obvious points about a popular player.

RedDread
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
It's a tough job but someone has to provide internet sites with content to ridicule.

MOhillbilly
08-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Green is a superb leader no doubt,and doesnt do a whole lot of stupid things that hurt the team.
Its all you can really ask for in any QB.
My opinion has changed 180 degrees since he came to KC.He took this team on his shoulders and hasnt looked back.

jynni
08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Green kicks ass.

I'd say whatever we traded St. Louis for him was worth it.

Bowser
08-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Green is a superb leader no doubt,and doesnt do a whole lot of stupid things that hurt the team.
Its all you can really ask for in any QB.
My opinion has changed 180 degrees since he came to KC.He took this team on his shoulders and hasnt looked back.

Agreed.

Brock
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Green kicks ass.

Considering what Peterson probably would have done with that first round pick, I'd say you're right.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM

It was a FIRST round pick...the highest KC had in 15 years and they pissed it away on Green. STL got Damione Lewis with the pick. Given our needs on the DL, I think STL got the better end of that deal.

Pitt Gorilla
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
It was a FIRST round pick...the highest KC had in 15 years and they pissed it away on Green. STL got Damione Lewis with the pick. Given our needs on the DL, I think STL got the better end of that deal.
Have you followed Lewis the last few years?

Brock
08-30-2005, 10:20 AM

:rolleyes: How long have you been posting here?

NewChief
08-30-2005, 10:22 AM
:rolleyes: How long have you been posting here?

Stupid noobies

StcChief
08-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Green is a difference maker adding the passing deminsion
on any play.

We wouldn't be a playoff team without it.
He was worth a first rounder after all the Tr-INT stuff in year one.

D puts 8-9 in the box and we would pound the ball and kick field goals.

Anybody remember Lowery and Stoyo's value to win with D and run ball offense.

Quinn / Collins could fill in for a while. but the threat and accuracy wouldn't be there as with Green.

We would lose the tough games. and fall in to a 6-10,7-9 or best 8-8 year.

DaWolf
08-30-2005, 10:25 AM
It would be a tough blow but it really depends on how good (or not) Todd collins is. The coaches all insist Collins is good like they did with Green and I assume he has been kept around all this time for a reason, so I wouldn't count us out if Green went down.

The one guy we cannot afford to lose right now is Gonzo. If Tony Gonzalez goes down, our passing offense just became not very dangerous, and people could focus totally on stuffing the run instead of who to use to cover Gonzo...

StcChief
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
It would be a tough blow but it really depends on how good (or not) Todd collins is. The coaches all insist Collins is good like they did with Green and I assume he has been kept around all this time for a reason, so I wouldn't count us out if Green went down.

The one guy we cannot afford to lose right now is Gonzo. If Tony Gonzalez goes down, our passing offense just became not very dangerous, and people could focus totally on stuffing the run instead of who to use to cover Gonzo...

Right on. Gonzo makes Green the better QB.
Wilson, Dunn couldn't carry his jock when it comes to dangerous receiver.

Collins, despite the coaches I wonder, hope we don't have to find out about missing Green.

DaWolf
08-30-2005, 10:33 AM
hope we don't have to find out about missing Green.
Amen...

jidar1
08-30-2005, 10:35 AM

Holy ignorant bastard batman.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
ROFL

htismaqe

ROFL

Oh the irony!

KCTitus

So I guess, you dont think that Lewis would be better than Sims or Dalton?

jynni
08-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Sure he'd be better than Sims or Dalton but even with those two lugs the team would suffer more by not having Green.

Plus Robinson would've contaminated him.

Pitt Gorilla
08-30-2005, 10:43 AM
ROFL
Sorry, my sarcasm detector is in the shop. Dang noob!

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Sure he'd be better than Sims or Dalton but even with those two lugs the team would suffer more by not having Green.

Shoulda been here 2001...then you could have read genious (chiefsplanet spelling) predictions like this:

..My basic position, based on his past, is that Green is a journeyman career backup, nothing more. Basicly a less talented version of Bono."

(pulled from my 'old' archives no link)

Bowser
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Shoulda been here 2001...then you could have read genious (chiefsplanet spelling) predictions like this:

(pulled from my 'old' archives no link)

Heh heh. It's always fun to dig up old quotes such as that....

I've browsed the archives, and found similar quotes pertaining to Preist being no more than a third down back.

Good times.....

jidar1
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
The Internet and sarcasm don't mix for shit.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
The Internet and sarcasm don't mix for shit.
:deevee:

Frankie
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
RAND: Brief glimpse of Green reveals a lot
Aug 30, 2005, 6:03:46 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ
People point out, with justification, that a quarterback can’t win by himself...........

I don't know about that but I know Elvis Grbac can't throw passes and catch them by himself.
:hmmm:

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Heh heh. It's always fun to dig up old quotes such as that....

I've browsed the archives, and found similar quotes pertaining to Preist being no more than a third down back.

Good times.....

Here's another I ran across:

Trent Green is the biggest reason we will see Tony Richardson in the majority of 1-back sets. Green has a fragile knee and a career sack ratio of being dropped one in every 10 attempts. Unless Holmes can block DEs better than the 235 lb hulk Richardson, look for the insurance TR can provide in pass protect.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Is proctor back on the star bbs? I think his real name was Gunther Cunningham.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 11:44 AM
It's all clean and Green with the offense.......

There will be to many stall'ns if we use alot of Todd Collins .........

We just won't win if we depend on Quinn .........

If we go with Killian, we can all get drunk.http://i2.peapod.com/c/VR/VRWAT.jpg

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
You know, I've said that same thing probably 100 times the last couple of seasons.
Now, I'm not so sure. After watching LJ the other night, I'm somewhat convinced that we could flat out run the ball down a team's throat and still score a lot of points. With our offensive line, Priest and LJ, I don't know if a team could stop us, even if they knew we were going to run every down.We tried that once, his name was Christian Okoye. Teams soon learned how to even tackle that monstrous freight train.

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Considering what Peterson probably would have done with that first round pick, I'd say you're right.We should just always trade our first and second round picks for proven free agents.

Jury is still out on our 2nd round pick this year(Surtain).

Count Alex's Losses
08-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Green sucks. He only threw 3 fewer interceptions than Jake Plummer.

patteeu
08-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Green is critical, but I think the Chiefs would be better off with Todd Collins as a starter than with Willie Roaf's backup. Before Roaf arrived, Green had bouts of happy feet and spelled his name TrINT. I realize he was coming off an injury that season and that might have contributed to his troubles, but I think Roaf provides Green with a comforting sense of security that let's him relax and focus on his job.

milkman
08-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Green is critical, but I think the Chiefs would be better off with Todd Collins as a starter than with Willie Roaf's backup. Before Roaf arrived, Green had bouts of happy feet and spelled his name TrINT. I realize he was coming off an injury that season and that might have contributed to his troubles, but I think Roaf provides Green with a comforting sense of security that let's him relax and focus on his job.

I would agree that Roaf does add a measure of security, but I think Trent's success with this team after that first year has more to do with the fact that the rest of the components in the offense started to get a better understanding of the offense.

So Trent, instead of having to serch for his receivers, could then just read the defense and find his receivers where they were supposed to be.

Frankie
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
I would agree that Roaf does add a measure of security, but I think Trent's success with this team after that first year has more to do with the fact that the rest of the components in the offense started to get a better understanding of the offense.

So Trent, instead of having to serch for his receivers, could then just read the defense and find his receivers where they were supposed to be.

The knee that needed to be retrained into performing normally was also a factor. His entire footwork was out of wack that first year because of that knee, affecting his delivery.

Valiant
08-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Now, I'm not so sure. After watching LJ the other night, I'm somewhat convinced that we could flat out run the ball down a team's throat and still score a lot of points. With our offensive line, Priest and LJ, I don't know if a team could stop us, even if they knew we were going to run every down.

Thats all well and good, but if we do not have a QB to keep the D's honest they will just line up 8-9 in the box...

Wallcrawler
08-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Without Trent Green, the Kansas City Chiefs will turn into the Baltimore Ravens on offense.

Great rushing game.

Great tight end.

TOTAL ASSHEAD at quarterback.

I dont know how long the Chiefs think they can wait before they bring in a young guy, and make an honest effort to develop the guy into a player.

We have three qbs over 30 years old. Green, Collins, and Huard. I dont know how old Quinn is, but he has never shown anything to make me believe he is the QB of the future.

We get guys like Casey Clausen and James Kilian, but they never see enough time for them to do anything. We just carry the same ancient backups that we've carried for years.

el borracho
08-31-2005, 02:19 AM
Anyone want to explain what Surtain did wrong? I keep seeing allusions to it but no real description.

Pants
08-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Anyone want to explain what Surtain did wrong? I keep seeing allusions to it but no real description.

From what I gathered he got burned the whole time he was on the field. But apparently he was having troubles withhis helmet, so IDK.