PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Sims

jspchief
08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Ryan Sims has been outstanding this pre-season IMO. He's been in the backfield a lot and gives great effort on every play. His motor just seems to be running at top speed right now.

I'm still skeptical, because I believe there's a difference between going 110% for 1 qtr, and doing it for an entire game. But if he keeps playing like this, he's going to be a lot closer to the guy we thought we were drafting.

I believe I heard this is a critical year in his contract with us. He's got a big bonus or jump in base coming next year. It will piss me off if that's what it took to motivate him, but it would still be nice to see him step it up.

RedThat
08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Ryan Sims has been outstanding this pre-season IMO. He's been in the backfield a lot and gives great effort on every play. His motor just seems to be running at top speed right now.

I'm still skeptical, because I believe there's a difference between going 110% for 1 qtr, and doing it for an entire game. But if he keeps playing like this, he's going to be a lot closer to the guy we thought we were drafting.

I believe I heard this is a critical year in his contract with us. He's got a big bonus or jump in base coming next year. It will piss me off if that's what it took to motivate him, but it would still be nice to see him step it up.

Yup. I agree with everything you said there jspchief. Ryan Sims has definately improved. Hopefully, that is sign of good things to come. I hope he's not just playing for the contract though, that'll disappoint me and others as well.

*He's definately getting into the backfield, and pressuring the QB. He's missed a couple of sure tackles though, ones that he should make, hopefully that'll improve. He's not getting the sacks, at the very least he's getting through and applying pressure, which is a good start and definately the right direction for him. Im happy that hes starting to finally come along.

TEX
08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Wow, insn't it a contract year for him? :hmmm:

Brock
08-30-2005, 09:52 AM

Uh...no.

Bowser
08-30-2005, 09:52 AM
He's no Eric Hicks.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 09:53 AM

No, it actually isn't.

:hmmm:

HemiEd
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Maybe he is learning how to play in the NFL IMO.

Brock
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
No, it actually isn't.

ROFL :clap:

jspchief
08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
No, it actually isn't.

:hmmm:It's not an actual contract year, but somewhere I heard that next year he's due a pretty big pay raise that he won't see if he doesn't play well.

So while his contract may not be up, maybe he'll no longer be worth what the team is slated to pay him.

If anyone knows more, I'd like to hear it. Problem is, these kind of details are normally impossible to find.

Brock
08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
It's not an actual contract year, but somewhere I heard that next year he's due a pretty big pay raise that he won't see if he doesn't play well.

So while his contract may not be up, maybe he'll no longer be worth what the team is slated to pay him.

If anyone knows more, I'd like to hear it. Problem is, these kind of details are normally impossible to find.

nflpa.org has all the skinny

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-30-2005, 10:01 AM
There is gonna be a lot of crow to eat when Sims becomes a star. Open up Taco.

Billyjoebrave
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Keep Arrion Dixon around and by next year he'll be playing like Sims is now. Just wait and see. Great attitude and work ethic.

jspchief
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Keep Arrion Dixon around and by next year he'll be playing like Sims is now. Just wait and see. Great attitude and work ethic.We'll take note of that Mrs. Dixon. Thanks! :p

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
It's not an actual contract year, but somewhere I heard that next year he's due a pretty big pay raise that he won't see if he doesn't play well.

I was the one that posted it. His base salary rises pretty significantly after this year...

jspchief
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I was the one that posted it. His base salary rises pretty significantly after this year...His base almost doubles from '05 to '06.

Combined with bonus, his cap hit will be about 3.5 million. But I think cutting him will be about 6 million or more, so chances are, he's not at risk of losing his job.

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
It's a shame Siavii has been a bust. Boy was I wrong about that guy.

chief52
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM

Me too...damn it! I was thinking he was going to really plug things up. He went to the same JC I played at ( Butte College ), so I was really hoping he was going to make it. Does not look good now. :shake:

TEX
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
No, it actually isn't.

Okay, any type of a big bonus/pay raise tied to this season making this year more important finincial -wise for him over any other?

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Ryan Sims has been outstanding this pre-season IMO.

well that's a bit of a stretch imo

he has sucked so bad in years past that anything looks great. Sims has been a solid DT this preseason.

our expectations at that position have just dropped so unbelieveably low that we are shocked when a DT on our team doesn anything at all.

lets all hope that Sims solid play continues :thumb:

Brock
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
His base almost doubles from '05 to '06.

Combined with bonus, his cap hit will be about 3.5 million. But I think cutting him will be about 6 million or more, so chances are, he's not at risk of losing his job.

A former North Carolina defensive tackle, Sims will sign a seven-year contract that will void to six years if he reaches predetermined benchmarks. The total value of the contract was not immediately available, but Sims will receive $9.875 million in a combined signing bonus and second-level option bonus due next spring.

The bonus is the largest ever paid to a Chiefs player, and the overall first-year compensation represents an increase of 31 percent over the corresponding player in the 2001 draft, New England defensive tackle Richard Seymour. In the first three years of the contract, Sims will earn about $13 million, a 20 percent increase over Seymour. The increase in first-money money is the largest in this year's draft.

Not really sure how that all factors in.

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Me too...damn it! I was thinking he was going to really plug things up. He went to the same JC I played at ( Butte College ), so I was really hoping he was going to make it. Does not look good now. :shake:

He gets pushed around more than the lawn mower at the local golf course.

penchief
08-30-2005, 10:50 AM
are expectations at that position have just dropped so unbelieveably low that were shocked when a DT on our team doesn anything at all.

.....pining for the days of Dan Saleaumua.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Okay, any type of a big bonus/pay raise tied to this season making this year more important finincial -wise for him over any other?

Um, no...try again.

His base salary increases. He would be paid that base salary REGARDLESS of performance, as long as he's on the team.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Oops, that was a quesiton mark at the end of that sentence.

The answer is no, there doesn't seem to be any financial motivator for his renewed vigor this offseason...

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 11:13 AM
.....pining for the days of Dan Saleaumua.
not trying to dismiss the improvement that Sims has made

it's much needed, much needed

just saying that we shouldn't get carried away

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:14 AM

just saying that we shouldn't get carried away

Yep.

Better than bad does not YET equal good.

jspchief
08-30-2005, 11:26 AM

just saying that we shouldn't get carried awayLike I said in the starter, I'm still skeptical.

I don't really think I'm overstating what he's done thus far in the pre-season. He's been pretty disruptive, even if he's not getting the actual stats to back it up. He's giving good second effort when initially stopped too.

What I question is his ability or ambition to give that sort of effort for an entire game. It's one thing to go in and play like a raped ape for 1 quarter. It takes considerably more effort to do it for 4.

Coach
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM

Me too. I thought it would work out the best, but unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be.

Cut his sorry lazy ass.

Chiefnj
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Conditioning is going to be a big issue. Most teams play their starters for about 2-3 quarters in the third preseason game. The Chiefs 1st string offense has received a lot less playing than compared to the norm. I hope they don't find themselves too winded on 9-11.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Both Sims and Dalton have been playing very well, IMO. They have gotten penetration and have been ruining plays in the backfield.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 11:33 AM
play like a raped ape for 1 quarter
:spock:

http://www.ihumpthings.com/submittedpics/statues/images/big/MaxHumpingMonkey.jpg

ROFL

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Conditioning is going to be a big issue. Most teams play their starters for about 2-3 quarters in the third preseason game. The Chiefs 1st string offense has received a lot less playing than compared to the norm. I hope they don't find themselves too winded on 9-11.

On the TV broadcast, they mentioned several times late in the 2nd quarter that the defense was dead tired...

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 11:35 AM
On the TV broadcast, they mentioned several times late in the 2nd quarter that the defense was dead tired...

maybe they need to practice more? :hmmm:

keg in kc
08-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Conditioning is the one thing that bothers me about River Falls. KC has to be a shock to the system after a few weeks up there. It just seems too comfortable, weather wise. I spent a few days in West Virginia last week, where the temps were in the low- to mid-80s, but the humidity was much lower. When I got back here, it was cooler here than it had been, a bit below 90, but it still felt like hell in comparison. Hopefully they're getting their KC legs back.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
maybe they need to practice more? :hmmm:

I don't think that's it. They didn't have alot of contact in camp, but they had extremely long practices (running, drills, conditioning). The guys that sat that out were mostly offensive players.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't think that's it. They didn't have alot of contact in camp, but they had extremely long practices (running, drills, conditioning). The guys that sat that out were mostly offensive players.

if they practiced and conditioned so much then why did they look tired.

seems to me that being tired has been an issue for us the past couple of years.

everytime i turn around vermeil is "giving them a day off" or "going without pads" etc.

one could be related to the other :shrug:

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:47 AM
if they practiced and conditioned so much then why did they look tired.

seems to me that being tired has been an issue for us the past couple of years.

everytime i turn around vermeil is "giving them a day off" or "going without pads" etc.

one could be related to the other :shrug:

Well the one guy that they mentioned by name was Hall. And of course, he was injured...

keg in kc
08-30-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't believe they practice or condition any less than any other NFL team. They aren't coddled in any way, compared to everything I've read and heard about other franchises. The perception I have is that we're actually on the other end of the spectrum, that Vermeil still runs one of the more difficult camps. There might even be a chance that they wore down because they're worn down.

Not that I'm not paranoid about it, too, as evidenced by my last post...

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't believe they practice or condition any less than any other NFL team. They aren't coddled in any way, compared to everything I've read and heard about other franchises. The perception I have is that we're actually on the other end of the spectrum, that Vermeil still runs one of the more difficult camps. There might even be a chance that they wore down because they're worn down.

Not that I'm not paranoid about it, too, as evidenced by my last post...

well the the other camps might as well be a trip to the candy store

because from what i can tell the chiefs run less,practice shorter and miss more days then i did in high school practice.

:shrug:

conditioning will be a problem during this season ... just watch.

jspchief
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
well the the other camps might as well be a trip to the candy store

because from what i can tell the chiefs run less,practice shorter and miss more days then i did in high school practice.

:shrug:

conditioning will be a problem during this season ... just watch.Just curious what you are basing this on.

I follow the Chiefs pretty closely, and I don't feel qualified to comment on how hard they do or don't practice. Further, I have no real idea how it compares to other teams that I don't follow. I'd like to know what info you're using to reach this conclusion.

keg in kc
08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I believe our average practice runs nearly half again as long as most other teams. Your run-of-the-mill NFL training camp isn't at all what it was 15 or 20 years ago, in no small part because of the fact that these guys train year round. As far as I can tell, nobody looks at camp as "time to get in shape" anymore; they're expected to be in condition when they arrive.

And I'll echo what Parker said in one of his last posts: the only guy that I heard was tired was Carlos Hall. I didn't hear that about anyone else. The only other player I'm worried about in that regard is Will Shields. I think the rest of the team is ready to go.

redbrian
08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
I think two things are working in Sims favor.
1) It's his third year, which as the old axiom goes is how long it takes to get in the groove.
and b) He is now playing in a system which complements his skills much more than the system Greg ran.