PDA

View Full Version : Bengals cut Peter Warrick

HolmeZz
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bengals-warrick&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bengals release Peter Warrick

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
August 30, 2005
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Peter Warrick was released Tuesday by the Cincinnati Bengals, who have depth at receiver and had run out of patience with the former No. 1 draft pick.

The move came a day after the hobbled receiver asked to be released if the Bengals had written him out of their plans.

The fourth overall pick in the 2000 draft, Warrick arrived in Cincinnati looking to transfer his magic from national champion Florida State to the bumbling Bengals. They have yet to make the playoffs in his five seasons, and Warrick has had only one notable season.

He caught 79 passes for 819 yards in 2003, carried 18 times for 157 yards, scored eight touchdowns and started looking like the shifty playmaker the Bengals thought they were drafting.

A small crack in a bone by the knee limited him to one start last season, four games and 11 catches, his most exasperating year in Cincinnati. He missed the minicamps and the start of training camp while the leg healed.

He played in only one preseason game, carrying once on a reverse -- he gained 2 yards before slipping -- and failing to catch a pass. Then he sat out practices last week because of a tender hamstring.

Warrick was entering the final year of his contract and would have made $2.28 million. He's now free to sign with any team.

The Bengals also waived third-year cornerback Terrell Roberts of Oregon State and guard Kyle Takavitz of Cincinnati.

Bowser
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
There is always that contingent of knee jerk "Let's get him NOW" responses to threads like this, but in this case, it may be a good idea to see if we can get him on this roster ASAP. FredEx can eat a turd.

foxman
08-30-2005, 10:01 AM
"Let's get him NOW" .

I agree

John_Wayne
08-30-2005, 10:04 AM
FredEx can eat a turd. I agree.

Ebolapox
08-30-2005, 10:04 AM
DAMMIT, CARL, SIGN THIS MOFO BEFORE WE ALL GO INSANE!!!!!111!!11

-EB-

chagrin
08-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Please, no peter warrick talk

HolmeZz
08-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Please, no peter warrick talk

Giggity.

chagrin
08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Giggity.

Awww-Right!
ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
08-30-2005, 10:13 AM
FredEx, has eaten 2 turds so far.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 10:15 AM
If Carl does not sign one Mr. Peter Warrick, we will die as individuals. But if he does sign one Mr. Peter Warrick, we will die as a team.

foxman
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
??

Bowser
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
If Carl does not sign one Mr. Peter Warrick, we will die as individuals. But if he does sign one Mr. Peter Warrick, we will die as a team.

Soooo....what you're saying is...........

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Soooo....what you're saying is...........

DirecTV has over 225 digital channels.

jspchief
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
What exactly does Warrick have to offer over Mitchell, other than being more injured?

foxman
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
DirecTV has over 225 digital channels.

Ohhhh now I get it....for a minute I thought he was going to say he saved 15% on his auto insurance.

:cuss:

foxman
08-30-2005, 10:22 AM
What exactly does Warrick have to offer over Mitchell, other than being more injured?

A lot less mouth

jspchief
08-30-2005, 10:26 AM
A lot less mouthYea, better to have an injured quiet guy than a healthy guy that hasn't said a word since he's been here. :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
just like with Peerless Price ... vet min is a good thing

foxman
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Yea, better to have an injured quite guy than a healthy guy that hasn't said a word since he's been here. :rolleyes:

Oh is blabber mouth healthy? I must have missed him making all those great plays this preseason.....

Yeah I know he is gonna play this weekend big skip. Personaly I think he is a jaggoff and wouldnt mind if he pulled another nut while getting out of the shower.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Yea, better to have an injured quiet guy than a healthy guy that hasn't said a word since he's been here. :rolleyes:

Don't expect to win this argument, dude. Logic has no place here.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
SIGN JOHNNIE MORTON!!! :cuss:

foxman
08-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Don't expect to win this argument, dude. Logic has no place here.

I am not so sure I am being illogical. IMO Warwick has upside that for whatever reason didnt pan out in the Nati. Mitchell was on a much better team with a better QB and better coaches and what did he ever do outside of thanking his hands for being so great. Why would it be a stretch to think we could sign Warwick and cut blabber flaps Mitchell?

I am not saying Warwick is the next Jerry Rice or anything, just that I think it would be worth looking into him and seeing were he is at mentaly and physicaly. If we could have the luxery and had the inclination of signing a WR between Price and Warwick I think Warwick has the brighter future. Price's best atribute is that once upon a time his star shined....well and he is taller than Warwick.

Now, I doubt we give either any serious consideration, and I presume Mitchell will get his shot to prove himself this weekend, but he is a a$$.

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
The move came a day after the hobbled receiver asked to be released if the Bengals had written him out of their plans.

Warrick was entering the final year of his contract and would have made $2.28 million. He's now free to sign with any team.

Does he think he'll get that kind of money elsewhere at this point?!? What a dumbass.

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM

Raw talent? Seriously, Mitchell is "just another guy", in Parcells-speak.

I'm not sure I'd want Warrick over him, because Warrick has more talent but can't seem to stay healthy and has an exaggerated sense of his own importance, but still, Mitchell ain't much to be excited about.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
I am not so sure I am being illogical. IMO Warwick has upside that for whatever reason didnt pan out in the Nati. Mitchell was on a much better team with a better QB and better coaches and what did he ever do outside of thanking his hands for being so great. Why would it be a stretch to think we could sign Warwick and cut blabber flaps Mitchell?

I am not saying Warwick is the next Jerry Rice or anything, just that I think it would be worth looking into him and seeing were he is at mentaly and physicaly. If we could have the luxery and had the inclination of signing a WR between Price and Warwick I think Warwick has the brighter future. Price's best atribute is that once upon a time his star shined....well and he is taller than Warwick.

Now, I doubt we give either any serious consideration, and I presume Mitchell will get his shot to prove himself this weekend, but he is a a$$.

Nice explanation. You should have posted this the first time instead of:

"Alot less mouth"

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Raw talent? Seriously, Mitchell is "just another guy", in Parcells-speak.

I'm not sure I'd want Warrick over him, because Warrick has more talent but can't seem to stay healthy and has an exaggerated sense of his own importance, but still, Mitchell ain't much to be excited about.

Having watched them both in college as well as in the pros, they're roughly equal. Warrick is way overrated...

foxman
08-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Nice explanation. You should have posted this the first time instead of:

"Alot less mouth"

Yes father, I am sorry, I wont do that again. Please don't hurt me father.

uhh, what was the question again?

jspchief
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure I believe either Warrick or Mitchell has more talent than the other. They were both great college players that have under-achieved in the pros.

So all other things being equal, Mitchell has more time with this offense. Why make a lateral move talent-wise, for a guy with less knowledge of the playbook? Especially a guy that has struggled with injuries.

Mitchell was a penis in Philly, no doubt. But he wouldn't be the first shaky player to turn his act around. He's been humble since he's been here, and that's all that matters to me.

As far as size, Price and warrick are the exact same size, and Mitchell is an inch taller. No real difference there.

foxman
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
So all other things being equal, Mitchell has more time with this offense. Why make a lateral move talent-wise, for a guy with less knowledge of the playbook?

Assuming all things are equal I agree, but I am not sure they are equal.

He's been humble since he's been here.

Thats true....but I still don't like him.

As far as size, Price and warrick are the exact same size, and Mitchell is an inch taller. No real difference there.

This I didnt realize, I thought Price was taller than Warwick. Thanks, I did learn something today afterall.

jspchief
08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Foxman. It's Warrick, not Warwick.

Not trying to be a jerk, it was just getting to me.

Now you've learned two things today. :thumb:

foxman
08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Foxman. It's Warrick, not Warwick.

Not trying to be a jerk, it was just getting to me.

Now you've learned two things today. :thumb:

I prefer Warwick. I new it was Warrick but thats a dork way to spell it. No one pronounces it that way.

Sorry it bothers you though, not that I will change it.

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Having watched them both in college as well as in the pros, they're roughly equal. Warrick is way overrated...

Please.

Warrick in '03:
He caught 79 passes for 819 yards in 2003, carried 18 times for 157 yards, scored eight touchdowns and started looking like the shifty playmaker the Bengals thought they were drafting

Mitchell CAREER (5 years)*
90 catches for 1,263 yards, and 5 TDs. 2 rushing attempts for -4 yards.

And don't tell me the Bengals have had better teams or QBs than McNabb and the Iggles, or that Mitchell has been buried behind awesome WRs in Philly, because none of that is true.

*Edit: Should be FOUR years, not five.

patteeu
08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Every available dollar the Chiefs have to spend on player acquisition should go toward signing Corey Simon if possible. I agree with jspchief in terms of sticking with Mitchell who has been here and hasn't been a problem over two other bigtime underachievers who would be new to the system.

If Simon wasn't available and Mitchell had bombed out already, I'd be interested in working out both of these guys, but neither of those conditions have been met yet. FWIW, of the three, I think Mitchell has the best hands and that's the number one criteria I'd use for upgrading our receiving corps with a 3rd WR.

In the past 2 seasons:

Freddie Mitchell was thrown to 103 times. He caught 57 (55.3%) and he dropped 6 of them for a drop ratio (drops/(caught+dropped)) of 9.5%.

Peter Warrick was thrown to 139 times. He caught 90 (64.7%) and he dropped 9 of them for a drop ratio of 9.1%.

Peerless Price was thrown to 247 times. He caught 109 (44.1%) and he dropped 13 of them for a drop ratio of 10.7%.

Stats came from http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/findplayer.asp

If all else was equal, I'd favor Warrick on the basis of these numbers, but Freddie Mitchell isn't that far behind and he has a head start wrt learning the offense. I'm presuming that the reception percentages can be impacted by both QB accuracy and WR ability to get open. Warrick may have had the benefit of a more accurate QB (Kitna/Palmer) or it might be that he was just better at getting open than the other two. I think it's safe to say that Price was hurt to some extent by his QB's inaccuracy.

FWIW:

McNabb's 2003/2004 accuracy - 575 completions/947 attempts = 60.7%

Kitna/Palmer's 2003/2004 accuracy - 648 completions/1056 attempts = 61.4%

Vick/Johnson's 2003/2004 accuracy - 367 completions/664 attempts = 55.3%

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I prefer Warwick. I new it was Warrick but thats a dork way to spell it. No one pronounces it that way.

Sorry it bothers you though, not that I will change it.

:spock: :spock:

So you spell people's names the way YOU think they SHOULD be spelled, and not as they actually are?

Okay Fartman. We'll keep that in mind.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Please.

Warrick in '03:
He caught 79 passes for 819 yards in 2003, carried 18 times for 157 yards, scored eight touchdowns and started looking like the shifty playmaker the Bengals thought they were drafting

Mitchell CAREER (5 years)
90 catches for 1,263 yards, and 5 TDs. 2 rushing attempts for -4 yards.

And don't tell me the Bengals have had better teams or QBs than McNabb and the Iggles, or that Mitchell has been buried behind awesome WRs in Philly, because none of that is true.

Can't stay healthy = can't stay healthy.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Every available dollar the Chiefs have to spend on player acquisition should go toward signing Corey Simon if possible.

The rest of the analysis is very good and very interesting, but this is the nut of the issue, IMO.

foxman
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
:spock: :spock:

Okay Fartman. We'll keep that in mind.

ROFL

No, it's like a nickname. I call Mitchell L-Mini, although I havent refered to him as L-mini in these conversations because few people here know what I mean by L-Mini...as in League Minimum.

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Can't stay healthy = can't stay healthy.

Maybe I'm missing something. I don't pretend to be an expert on Mitchell's career, but he played 15 games his rookie year of '01, and 16 games every season since then. How can his numbers reflect an injury history if he hasn't missed any games in the last 3 years??

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235231

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. I don't pretend to be an expert on Mitchell's career, but he played 15 games his rookie year of '01, and 16 games every season since then. How can his numbers reflect an injury history if he hasn't missed any games in the last 3 years??

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235231

I was thinking he'd been nicked and scratched ever since he got there...maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I was thinking he'd been nicked and scratched ever since he got there...maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

No problem, and don't get me wrong -- both Mitchell and Warrick are classic underachievers, but I think the ceiling is higher on Warrick if he pulls his s**t together, than Mitchell if he does the same.

bobbything
08-30-2005, 12:52 PM
FWIW, which isn't much, I really don't want to bring in another new receiver that hasn't really accomplished anything in his career.

At the very least, Mitchell has a grasp of the offense, and I'm already worried enough that he's going to break off his routes too early, resulting in unnecessary interceptions. The last thing we need is a receiver with zero grasp of this offense doing the same thing.

I think, with what we have at receiver, we'll be fine.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
No problem, and don't get me wrong -- both Mitchell and Warrick are classic underachievers, but I think the ceiling is higher on Warrick if he pulls his s**t together, than Mitchell if he does the same.

Mitchell was a stud in college. Absolute stud. Warrick just seemed to me to be the classic FSU WR...

I always thought Bengal fans considered Warrick a pussy...maybe I was wrong.

cmh6476
08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
another fred ex eat a turd...

Amnorix
08-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Mitchell was a stud in college. Absolute stud. Warrick just seemed to me to be the classic FSU WR...

I always thought Bengal fans considered Warrick a pussy...maybe I was wrong.

Again, I admit I pay just about zero attention to college football for the last 10 years, but Warrick was taken #4 overall, which I think is the highest any FSU WR went, right?

I kinda think of both of 'em as pussies, but maybe that's just me. :D

eazyb81
08-30-2005, 03:04 PM
On ESPN Radio, John Clayton said that the Ravens just picked up Peter Warrick and are the front-runners for Corey Simon.

:banghead:

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
On ESPN Radio, John Clayton said that the Ravens just picked up Peter Warrick and are the front-runners for Corey Simon.

:banghead:

Peter Warrick and Corey Simon aren't going to turn Kyle Boller into a real QB, get Jamal Lewis to stop bitching about his contract, and neither of them play on the o-line. The Ravens will be lucky to finish 8-8.

eazyb81
08-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Peter Warrick and Corey Simon aren't going to turn Kyle Boller into a real QB, get Jamal Lewis to stop bitching about his contract, and neither of them play on the o-line. The Ravens will be lucky to finish 8-8.

But Corey Simon may end up helping the Ravens defense become the next best thing since the 85 Bears. That alone will get them in the playoffs, IMO.

Dave Lane
08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Worth a look anyway...

Dave

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Giggity.

No Giggity........mmhmmm.....mmhmmm....mmhmmm......Yo Dre drop the verse.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
No Giggity........mmhmmm.....mmhmmm....mmhmmm......Yo Dre drop the verse.

The Roys like the way Scanlon works it.....No Diggity.......they'd like to bag it up..

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 05:42 PM
The Roys like the way Scanlon works it.....No Diggity.......they'd like to bag it up..

ROFL

Logical
08-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Yea, better to have an injured quiet guy than a healthy guy that hasn't said a word since he's been here. :rolleyes:Healthy?ROFL

Tribal Warfare
08-30-2005, 05:57 PM

I still believe KC has a chance though

Thig Lyfe
08-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Why not? If you can get him for the vet min., it's worth a try.