PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd on Trent Green

jidar1
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Was just listening to ESPNRadio online and Colin cowherd has been harping on Phil Simms saying he's overrated, then he compared Trent Greens stats to Simms with the point of saying that Green is better.
Nice to see one of our boys getting some respect, especially someone like Trent who deserves it so much.

Cormac
08-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Was just listening to ESPNRadio online and Colin cowherd has been harping on Phil Simms saying he's overrated, then he compared Trent Greens stats to Simms with the point of saying that Green is better.
Nice to see one of our boys getting some respect, especially someone like Trent who deserves it so much.

Still doesn't make the butthead worth listening too, though.

But nice to hear some respect for #10

Stinger
08-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Still doesn't make the butthead worth listening too, though.

But nice to hear some respect for #10

Agreed he is horrible to listen too. Can't believe they cancelled Tony Kornheiser and put his guy on. :shake:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I wonder who all was behind him when he came to KC?

Hmmm...I know one of the people was me...NewChief, DaKC, and...well...that's about it.

foxman
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I like him mostly

jidar1
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Colin is starting to get on my nerves. He goes off on some non-sports related tangent about every 3 minutes, once in awhile you gotta spice stuff up but I get tired of hearing about his neighbor or some dog at the park.

Goapics1
08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Agreed he is horrible to listen too. Can't believe they cancelled Tony Kornheiser and put his guy on. :shake:
Kornholer didn't talk about sports hardly. Usually talking to his ghey movie/book review journalists from the Washington Post.

Cormac
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I always liked Kornheiser. He's actually funny (IMO) which is almost unheard of. Cowherd is just another Rome-wannabe. Another high-school debater with a narrow vocabulary, and a mute button for anybody who doesn't agree with him.....:shake: I still wonder why I should give a damn what these guys have to say???

NewChief
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM

Hmmm...I know one of the people was me...NewChief, DaKC, and...well...that's about it.

The original Greenbackers. :clap:

MOhillbilly
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Colin is starting to get on my nerves. He goes off on some non-sports related tangent about every 3 minutes, once in awhile you gotta spice stuff up but I get tired of hearing about his neighbor or some dog at the park.

i thought that was the same reason they got rid of cornhole-talking about things other than sports.
That said i didnt like him when he came on lastyear,but his football stuff is pretty right on.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 12:22 PM

FWIW, it wasn't that we disliked Green. It was more that he was injured previously and still a question mark. Most of us felt the price was to high to pay........

So far it has worked out, but we still are in the same boat.... 1 playoff and no wins. While Trent has been solid, if he goes down and never plays again, you can still question the move for the price.

After hearing him when he came to KC, I was convinced we did OK....

But many didn't warm up to him until the 2nd year.......... His 1st one here was a disaster.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
So far it has worked out, but we still are in the same boat.... 1 playoff and no wins. While Trent has been solid, if he goes down and never plays again, you can still question the move for the price.

So Far? Pffft...Green has exceeded all expectations and he's not the reason to hang no playoff wins. That's just silly talk.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Asd for Phil Simms, I liked him. He wasn't your top notch passer, not a pure passer, but he had a good delievery and battled thru alot of bad teams before hooking up with Parcels.

A good team/ coach earlier could have made his career alot better.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
So Far? Pffft...Green has exceeded all expectations and he's not the reason to hang no playoff wins. That's just silly talk.

In no way do I hang that on Trent, if it sounded like it, I'm sorry.

The pickes we traded could have bolstered the defense or offense as well or maybe gotten 2 stud players.

Rest assure with CP drafting we would have gotten 2 duds.

Stinger
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Kornholer didn't talk about sports hardly. Usually talking to his ghey movie/book review journalists from the Washington Post.
Thats why I actually liked it was a different sports show. He only had a couple of athletes, but more sports reporters people in the Sports community. And Cormac said is true he was/is funny. Well that and I enjoy his articles as well. His show was similar to PTI and the Sports Reporters mixed with humor and good commentary.

It was not the same stuff all the other national sports talk shows do. Rehash the same topic over and over.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
In no way to I hang that on Trent, if it sounded like it, I'm sorry.

The pickes we traded could have bolstered the defense as well or maybe gotten 2 stud players.

That's great Lexicon logic at work...

I dont know exacty what you meant, but you said "Green's ok, but KC still hasnt won any playoff games". Without Green, KC doesnt even get the chance to embarrass itself after the 2003 season.

keg in kc
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
He's started 65 consecutive games and played the last 3 years at a pro bowl level. There's not much point in arguing the price now; we've gotten more than enough out of the trade, even without success in the playoffs (and he was good his one shot there, too)...

All-in-all, I'd say just about everyone backed him. Sure there was grumbling about what we gave up in trade, and sure the first year was tough, but I doubt anybody really wanted him to fail. Although I guess if it makes you feel better to try and to polarize everybody and say "I was right, see how smart I am", then go for it. :shrug:

Well, enough of the soap box. What we need from him this year is the one thing he's not given us yet: a fast start. With Warfield out and the defense likely going through the occasional growing pain the first 6-8 weeks of the season, we need an offense firing on all cylinders from opening weekend on. For that reason alone, I was glad to see the O come out looking like it did Saturday. We can't afford to stumble out of the gates on that side of the ball, no way, no how.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
All-in-all, I'd say just about everyone backed him. Sure there was grumbling about what we gave up in trade, and sure the first year was tough, but I doubt anybody really wanted him to fail. Although I guess if it makes you feel better to try and to polarize everybody and say "I was right, see how smart I am", then go for it. :shrug:

After Bono and Grbac trades, the most vocal were skeptical if not outright hostile to another trade for a QB. That's water under the bridge. The point remains that KC paid a high price and got something quite good in return.

StcChief
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Green panned out, anyway you figure.

Playoff wins, not all his fault. Very solid QB high numbers doesn't make many mistakes now.

Year 1 yes, but even some of those INTs were not all his fault.

Yes CP likely would have done worse in the draft.
Track record shows that 15 years.

keg in kc
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
After Bono and Grbac trades, the most vocal were skeptical if not outright hostile to another trade for a QB. That's water under the bridge. The point remains that KC paid a high price and got something quite good in return.Maybe I'm putting too much of my own attitude into my perception. I know I wasn't happy with giving up that first, although as I recall, I thought it was okay because we'd worked the deal down from the originally requested 1st and 3rd that St. Louis said they'd never come down from. But after he was here, I basically quit thinking about it; the guy was going to be leading my team and I was going to be behind him unless or until he proved that he couldn't do the job. I wanted the Chiefs to win, after all, and nothing would have been gained by Green sucking, which was the same reason I hoped Grbac would succeed when I started following the team in '99. I suppose everyone isn't able to compartmentalize like that, though, or would even want to. There's lots of pride and ego involved, I guess, for whatever reason, although as I see it, I don't have any control over what happens, so I don't have any reason to chest-thump over any of it. I used to, though, back when I used to think a guess that turned out to be "right" in the end somehow made me feel "knowledgeable".

Chief Faithful
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
It was the SB win that utilmately got Phil Simms the recognition he receives today. Sadly, it will take a SB before Green really gets his due.

ROYC75
08-30-2005, 01:04 PM

I dont know exacty what you meant, but you said "Green's ok, but KC still hasnt won any playoff games". Without Green, KC doesnt even get the chance to embarrass itself after the 2003 season.

Who am I to argue with your quote ...... I can't. The same could be said if he had of drafted some other QB and a another DT ? We don't know what could have been because we didn't go that route.

Again, chances are CP would have found us some more duds like the previous drafts.

FTR, I like Trent, always have.... he is my adopted Chief from last year's silly game.

Lzen
08-30-2005, 01:22 PM

And don't forget the part about if CP had used those picks in the draft, we would've gotten some duds. You know, like Larry Johnson or Derrick Johnson. :shake:

Lzen
08-30-2005, 01:25 PM

I've been behind him since day one.

Pitt Gorilla
08-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I remember all of the support for "TrINT." :rolleyes:

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Who am I to argue with your quote ...... I can't. The same could be said if he had of drafted some other QB and a another DT ? We don't know what could have been because we didn't go that route.

I would say the picks that were traded were used to bolster the offense with 2 studs (Green and Holmes)...I know Holmes wasnt traded for, he was a FA. But KC got both Green and Holmes in the offseason and that alone made this offense one of the best in the NFL. It was all a matter of where to start. DV started with offense...thankfully.

Their subsequent attempts at doing the same on the other side of the ball as failed so far.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I remember all of the support for "TrINT." :rolleyes:

I remember being scolded for using the WR excuse...

Pitt Gorilla
08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I remember being scolded for using the WR excuse...
As was I. Who were those WRs?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
The original Greenbackers. :clap:

:)

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
As was I. Who were those WRs?

Alexander, Minnis, C. Thomas, L. Parker, Morris...Kennison showed up around week 10.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Alexander, Minnis, C. Thomas, L. Parker, Morris...Kennison showed up around week 10.

All pro bowlers. I wonder why people were on Green?... :hmmm: ROFL

Ralphy Boy
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM

Not quite. I hated Grabass from day one and before Green ever played a regular season game with the Rams I said I wanted him in KC.

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Nice to see one of our boys getting some respect, especially someone like Trent who deserves it so much.I have no respect for Cowheard. He is just a loud mouth blowhard, who is blowing so hard trying to copy Jim Rome's schtick.

Pitt Gorilla
08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Alexander didn't play for the first few weeks. It seems like Thomas started a few games for us. Ugh.

NewChief
08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Alexander didn't play for the first few weeks. It seems like Thomas started a few games for us. Ugh.

Yeah, we would have been better without Alexander in some of those games anyway. Specifically one of the Denver games.

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 05:10 PM

Yeah, that Larry Johnson pick was a disaster. So was DT. So was Tony G. So was Neil Smith...........:rolleyes:

milkman
08-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah, that Larry Johnson pick was a disaster. So was DT. So was Tony G. So was Neil Smith...........:rolleyes:

Carl didn't pick Neil Smith.

For what it's worth, I was as opposed to trading for Green as anyone here.

But once he became the Chiefs QB, all I ever wanted from him was success.

Now, he hasn't led the Chiefs to the SB, but the fault for that lies squarely on Carl and Dick for not assembling a D that could help Trent and the offense.

I have, over the years, come to respect Green's ability and his leadership.

JOhn
08-30-2005, 07:20 PM

For the record, I've always supported Trent Green, and was very supportive of the idea to trade for him. :thumb:

JOhn
08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Do we really need to name ALL the #1's, 2's & 3's that we picked that were dudes.

Face it, Carl has a lousy draft record. I have no clue what it is compared to other GM's, and frankly I don't care, because I expect perfection from the Chiefs GM. :shrug:

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Do we really need to name ALL the #1's, 2's & 3's that we picked that were dudes.

Face it, Carl has a lousy draft record. I have no clue what it is compared to other GM's, and frankly I don't care, because I expect perfection from the Chiefs GM. :shrug:

Granted. But expecting perfection in the draft is like expecting to win the Powerball every time you buy a $1 quick pick.

JOhn
08-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Granted. But expecting perfection in the draft is like expecting to win the Powerball every time you buy a $1 quick pick.
Maybe, maybe not.

But apparantly you missed my point. ;)

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

But apparantly you missed my point. ;)

Nah man, I gotcha. King Carl has whiffed more than his fair share.

Skip Towne
08-30-2005, 07:56 PM

I think they've all been dudes. :shrug:

milkman
08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
I think they've all been dudes. :shrug:

I'm not so sure about Harvey Williams.

Skip Towne
08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm not so sure about Harvey Williams.
Point taken.