PDA

View Full Version : Waterworld???

KC Dan
08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Pics to follow. Post them as you find them. Where's Kevin Costner???

KC Dan
08-30-2005, 12:05 PM

BIG_DADDY
08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
What a mess

Goapics1
08-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Damn.

KC Dan
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
How about this one. It looks like N.O. really is gonna be a bowl - a full one...

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Holy shit, thats alot of water. I'm getting rain from Katrina as I type. Possibly 2-3 inches of rain in the next 24-36 hours...

oldandslow
08-30-2005, 12:21 PM
The real problem was the levee breaking. If they can't get it fixed NO will have to fill to match sea level before the water stops.

I am praying for the folks down there.

beavis
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Looks a lot like Missouri in '93. Take about the most God awful stench. I've never seen anything like it. Good luck to those folks, they've got a long rode ahead of them.

tyton75
08-30-2005, 01:14 PM
http://ap.wwltv.com/dynamic/galleries/305-1.html?SITE=WWL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=USHEADS.html

rageeumr
08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
At least I haven't seen any pics with any coffins floating around. They seemed pretty worried about that before the storm hit....

Sure-Oz
08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
thats insane

Saulbadguy
08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Will NO as we know it, cease to exist?

KC Dan
08-30-2005, 02:03 PM
more

tk13
08-30-2005, 02:07 PM
At least I haven't seen any pics with any coffins floating around. They seemed pretty worried about that before the storm hit....
There's also the chance that alligators or poisonous snakes could swim over in those waters. That's what would scare me.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
There's also the chance that alligators or poisonous snakes could swim over in those waters. That's what would scare me.
I think thats a relatively minor threat. They don't want to be around humans as much as we don't want them around us.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
I see those pictures of people walking through chest-deep water, and I can't help but think what an foul swill that must be -- full of gasoline, oil, sewage, snakes ... yuck.

Stinger
08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Will NO as we know it, cease to exist?
No ... People like being where they are. People are very resilient. They will rebuild and move on. How the historical aspect of property and places may change. But NO will not cease to exsist.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
No ... People like being where they are. People are very resilient. They will rebuild and move on. How they historical aspect of property and places may change. But NO will not cease to exsist.
It would probably be better if it existed say, 50 miles NW of where it is now.

I've said in previous years NO would be underwater sometime. I just didn't think it would be this soon. Personally, I think it would be dumb to rebuild in the same place. Not much of an option though, really.

rageeumr
08-30-2005, 02:23 PM

I've said in previous years NO would be underwater sometime. I just didn't think it would be this soon. Personally, I think it would be dumb to rebuild in the same place. Not much of an option though, really.

I grew up near St. Joe, and there's this little town just South of there called Agency. If too many people spit in the Platte River, it floods in Agency. In fact I think it flooded one year in the winter after too much snow melted in a day. I think the mark on the pole was around 10' for the flood of '93. I bet it flooded 12 times while I was growing up. The amazing thing is that these people would just keep moving back into their homes. I think the Corps of Engineers finally got the flooding under control, but after 2 or 3 times... wouldn't you move?

So I guess the point is that people in NO have a lot more to be proud, emotional, and passionate about in their city than these people.. so I bet it goes right back up in the same spot....

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
I think thats a relatively minor threat. They don't want to be around humans as much as we don't want them around us.Any alligators, or snakes, or floating balls of fire ants that may come into contact with people will have been forced into those people, and they will be very agitated, to say the least.

listopencil
08-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Any alligators, or snakes, or floating balls of fire ants that may come into contact with people will have been forced into those people, and they will be very agitated, to say the least.

http://claycoleman.tripod.com/4c3bcd30.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
All those poor strippers...

Dave Lane
08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Damn that looks like more water than I thought.

Dave

Rausch
08-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Hope to God they never have a tsunami hit them. That's an insane amount of water...

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Repost, but:

View of the flooding, looking towards Lake Pontchartrain (http://stfuyouomg.net/katrina/050829-c-3550N-082.jpg)

St. Bernard Parish (http://applesonthevine.com/omg.jpg)

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 04:52 PM

I really should run out and copyright the name "Newer Orleans".

Bob Dole
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Looks a lot like Missouri in '93. Take about the most God awful stench. I've never seen anything like it. Good luck to those folks, they've got a long rode ahead of them.

Bob Dole was thining the same thing. Spent a LOT of time filling/stacking sandbags in PArkville that year.

Calcountry
08-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I grew up near St. Joe, and there's this little town just South of there called Agency. If too many people spit in the Platte River, it floods in Agency. In fact I think it flooded one year in the winter after too much snow melted in a day. I think the mark on the pole was around 10' for the flood of '93. I bet it flooded 12 times while I was growing up. The amazing thing is that these people would just keep moving back into their homes. I think the Corps of Engineers finally got the flooding under control, but after 2 or 3 times... wouldn't you move?

So I guess the point is that people in NO have a lot more to be proud, emotional, and passionate about in their city than these people.. so I bet it goes right back up in the same spot....Every time I visit my relatives in the midwest they say, "ooo I don't know how you put up with them earthquakes. California is going to fall into the ocean some day." I am 40 years old, and there has been only one catastrophic quake in my lifetime. I will trade one unannounced occurance in 40 years, to 3 to 4 hurricane warnings per year.

No contest.

Frazod
08-30-2005, 05:45 PM
http://claycoleman.tripod.com/4c3bcd30.jpg

:eek:

OMFG I don't even want to think about that.

chiefs4me
08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
My heart goes out to those people, and I can honestly say that I know how they feel...:shake:

dtebbe
08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
The only upside I see to this is that at least Bourbon Street will smell better now....

Ok, that was tasteless, I know, honestly I can imagine some of the pain people are going thru. There was a guy on earlier who lost his wife, and that was pretty touching. Then they showed looters, loved seeing the cops put a little smack down on those scumbags. Jesse Jackson will probably be screaming police brutality tomorrow.

DT