PDA

View Full Version : KU backs off paranoid "nondisclosure clause"

|Zach|
08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Source with even more linkage. (http://www.fanblogs.com/kansas/005553.php) Thought this was kind of interesting.

Facing a backlash from fans and media alike, Kansas football officials elected to back off a plan to require KU Quarteback Club members to sign a statement that amounted to an oath of silence regarding any remarks by the coaches at meetings.

Here is the statement:

"ATTENTION: Comments (verbal or written) made by Coach Mangino or his staff at club functions are intended for KU QB Club members only and are ‘off the record.' By signing below the applicant agrees to adhere to this requirement and in signing warrants and promises that he/she will not divulge any comments to any person; applicant also agrees not to post or provide information to post on the Internet any information or insight gained from club functions without written consent from Coach Mangino and the KU Quarterback Club."

The Jayhawks coaches aren't the only ones in college football suffering from internet paranoia these days, but turning QB Club meetings into a secret society along the lines of the Masonic Lodge or the Order of the Bull's Blood seems a bit extreme.

Rusty Thomas, the woman who helped resurrect the club four years ago, had this to say when she first learned of the proposed clause:

"I'm amazed and stunned," Thomas said. "I don't understand why there is a such a lack of trust."

"Does that mean I can't tell my husband when I go home?" Thomas said. "That's a little strange. I'm just surprised they're asking us to do that."

"I'm not sure I'll sign it," she said. "I'll have to talk to my legal counsel about the ramifications. I don't sign anything without advice of counsel."

In rescinding the nondisclosure clause requirement, KU assistant AD Pat Henderson stated:

"After thinking about it, we decided to take it out," said Henderson, assistant athletic director in charge of football operations and traditions. "One reason it was in there was we didn't want the speakers to feel like if they were telling old war stories and cussed, it would be in the paper the next day. We'll do it by appealing to everyone's integrity."

Therefore, spies planted at the meetings by Florida Atlantic Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger in advance of the Septebmer 3rd season opener will risk their intergrity by reporting vital tidbits back to the coach.

Here's an idea: since you haven't had a winning season in 10 years, why not just be thankful you even have a Quarterback Club and fans that are willing to talk up your program to friends and on the internet. If members cannot report what Mangino says at the luncheons, they'll only be able to report what he eats.

Posted by Robert Knodell

Uatu
08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
If members cannot report what Mangino says at the luncheons, they'll only be able to report what he eats.

Maybe it would be easier to report what was left after he went through the buffet line.

Skip Towne
08-30-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm sure the coaches will be sure to not reveal anything to that club. All fluff and BS kinda like sportswriters.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
go back to columbia and die ... all of ya

beavis
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
What's the big deal. They got nothing to hide. :)