PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

Pages : 1 [2]

NewChief
09-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Damn! I went fishing today and when I got back to town, the gas price had jumped .20, now $2.85.

Lots of talk on the fishing boards I frequent about how much this is cutting into people's ability to go fish further waters. Luckily most of the waters I fish are within 20 miles, but I'd definitely have to consider it before I took a trip over to the White or Norfork, which takes about 3 hours.

Bwana
09-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Lots of talk on the fishing boards I frequent about how much this is cutting into people's ability to go fish further waters. Luckily most of the waters I fish are within 20 miles, but I'd definitely have to consider it before I took a trip over to the White or Norfork, which takes about 3 hours.

You know, that was exactly what was going through my head when I was pumping the go juice into my rig when I got home. A guy is going to have to pick and choose his trips if this shit keeps going up. :shake:

NewChief
09-01-2005, 07:52 PM
You know, that was exactly what was going through my head when I was pumping the go juice into my rig when I got home. A guy is going to have to pick and choose his trips if this shit keeps going up. :shake:

Yeah. One reason I like fishing is that (other than the fact that I'm a gearhead), I can do it on the cheap. I can basically just load up, go out and have a full day of fun, and come back having only spent a couple of bucks in gas. Now, it's more like 10-20 bucks in gas if I go anywhere of any distance at all.

Bwana
09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah. One reason I like fishing is that (other than the fact that I'm a gearhead), I can do it on the cheap. I can basically just load up, go out and have a full day of fun, and come back having only spent a couple of bucks in gas. Now, it's more like 10-20 bucks in gas if I go anywhere of any distance at all.

You're right NC. I went through $51.00 in gas today........not cool.

4th and Long
09-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Check under my avatar. :) Little ole town in midwest Mo.
Newp. Sorry. Different place. :)

PastorMikH
09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
You know, that was exactly what was going through my head when I was pumping the go juice into my rig when I got home. A guy is going to have to pick and choose his trips if this ____ keeps going up. :shake:

I'm a bit concerned about the amount of hunting I'm going to get to do this fall. With my spots 20 - 30 minutes away, it may be tough to justify going on a regular basis.

Bwana
09-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm a bit concerned about the amount of hunting I'm going to get to do this fall. With my spots 20 - 30 minutes away, it may be tough to justify going on a regular basis.

I was thinking about that as well Mike. A guy shouldn't have to take out a loan to buy gas to get out and do some hunting and fishing. :(

plbrdude
09-01-2005, 09:06 PM
rumor here in the corner of the state near squaw creek is that tomorrow the hike will put gas at or near $3.50 per. :deevee:

Bowser
09-01-2005, 09:33 PM
At 10:00, gas was 3.19/gallon at the Quicktrip at Vivion Road and North Brighton.

Skip Towne
09-01-2005, 09:51 PM
My little Astrovan will now hold $81 worth of gas. Unreal.

Miles
09-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I got a little lucky and found a station that hadnt raised their prices much today for some reason. They had premium for 2.99 when it was selling for 3.25-3.55 everywhere else. Never would have imagined that 2.99 feels like a deal.

Frazod
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Shit, I'm old enough to have always thought that anything over a dollar a gallon is ridiculously overpriced.

keg in kc
09-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Shit, I'm old enough to have always thought that anything over a dollar a gallon is ridiculously overpriced.Your old enough to remember powering your cars with your feet, Barney.

Frazod
09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Your old enough to remember powering your cars with your feet, Barney.

I wish I still had one. :D

BiStateNo
09-02-2005, 12:12 AM
If your upset with the Saudis, fine. However, price caps are not going to harm them a bit, it will only hurt American oil companies.

As for the SPR, thats not going to be terribly significant here. According to the experts on the news, assuming we tap the SPR, we can make up the shortfall in the gulf for one year, but oil supply is not going to be the problem. We lost an enormous amount of refining capability with 9 major refineries in Louisiana shut down for an undetermined length of time.

In other words, we can have all the oil in the world, but we will still have a gas shortage because we lack the ability to convert that oil into gas fast enough to meet demands of consumers.

Why dont we have extra refineries? Environmentalists have made it enormously difficult to build a new refinery. Refineries are also not immediately profitable for a very long time after construction. (The energy bill that was passed recently addresses this, but that will take a very long time to affect us) So, if we want extra refining capability, we should be encouraging oil companies to build them with incentives, rather than punishing them for wanting to build one. For those few who dont want the extra refining capability, they cant really complain when a disaster upsets the delicate perfect balance that must be maintained when we have no margin for error.

While I agree with your premise, I would ask you to look at the headlines...funny, seems like I was calling for a temporary price cap before our politicians. Now, they seem to have jumped on the proverbial "band wagon". Look, we live in strange times. Would it be so terribly bad for oil companies that have made billions and billions to take a month or so off? Of course not! But they won't. They aren't compelled in any way to do so. They have no conscience of any kind, and all our President (whom I voted for, TWICE!) can suggest is that we, as Americans send "donations". When asked by Diane Sawyer about oil companies perhaps taking less profit for a month or so, he replied "Well, what we need is for Americans to keep their donations coming in"....

I can't help but recall the beginning of a book by Stephen King "The Stand".... This is the way the world ends...This is the way the world ends...This is the way the woirld ends....not with a bang, but a whimper...

There is no hope....

luv
09-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I heard it had gone up to 3.19 here. But the station I pass on my way home still says 2.99...for now. I'm still nearly full from filling up on Monday night though. :D

Miles
09-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I heard it had gone up to 3.19 here. But the station I pass on my way home still says 2.99...for now. I'm still nearly full from filling up on Monday night though. :D

Nice that you still have a tank from before it jumped up. Im going to try and stretch my current tank as long as i can. At least my car gets somewhat good gas milage.

luv
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Nice that you still have a tank from before it jumped up. Im going to try and stretch my current tank as long as i can. At least my car gets somewhat good gas milage.
I don't go many places. Work is approximately 10 miles away. I might go over to dad's to see the animals (dogs, cats, fish). That about 5 miles. My Walmart is about 5-6 miles away too. What else do I need?Tank usually lasts a week and a half to two weeks for me anyway.

BigMeatballDave
09-02-2005, 02:29 AM
$3.19 Thursday - I'm betting it jumps another 20-30 cents over the next two days...

ndbbm
09-02-2005, 06:33 AM
$3.19 Thursday - I'm betting it jumps another 20-30 cents over the next two days...

$3.19 here as well in Harrisburg, PA.

tomahawk kid
09-02-2005, 06:40 AM
$3.26 @ the QT in Overland Park.

If someone isn't getting rich off this deal, I'll kiss somebody's a$$.

PHOG
09-02-2005, 06:54 AM
$3.19 here also, and the gouge goes on..and on..and on..

Wait, it took me 30 seconds to type this(yes 30 seconds), I better go check prices again.

:shake:

alnorth
09-02-2005, 07:05 AM
$3.26 @ the QT in Overland Park.

If someone isn't getting rich off this deal, I'll kiss somebody's a$$.

That isnt the point. Our ability to create and distribute gasoline took a massive catastrophic hit.

If we DONT raise the price of gasoline, we will have shortages. Now, maybe your fine with shortages, maybe you wouldnt mind waiting in gigantic lines to buy a few gallons, or not being able to find gas at all for days at a time, but if you want gas on demand, then we damn well better raise prices to discourage people from buying.

PHOG
09-02-2005, 07:11 AM
That isnt the point. Our ability to create and distribute gasoline took a massive catastrophic hit.

If we DONT raise the price of gasoline, we will have shortages. Now, maybe your fine with shortages, maybe you wouldnt mind waiting in gigantic lines to buy a few gallons, or not being able to find gas at all for days at a time, but if you want gas on demand, then we damn well better raise prices to discourage people from buying.

On the news this morning, they said Tulsa has 20,000 gal. in storage for the weekend. :spock:

That doesn't seem like alot. Maybe that's in adition to regular deliveries? :shrug:

Don't know, I was still a little groggy.

Uatu
09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I was greeted at work this morning to a conversation by some coworkers (the same one it's been every day this week) about how terrible gas is and how the gas station owners are collaborating to make themselves rich (WTF?)

SHUT UP MORONS. How about the two of you carpool if it sucks so bad? You could have gotten by with a regular car or something. You chose luxury, and bought your monstrous 8 cylinder grocery-getter. You assumed the risk of gasoline price volatility when you purchased that beast. Yeah the prices suck terribly right now, but you hee-hawwing about it for 30 minutes at work isn't going to make them go down a penny.

If you were really getting run into the poorhouse, you could go down to the VW dealership and trade it for a basic deisel car that will get you back and forth to work 5 times for what your Excursion will take to get you there once.

The bottom line is, you're in this mess primarily by your own doing, but you'd rather bitch and moan than actually do something about it. Some people have legitimate needs for a big honkin' truck, but you aren't one of them, so STFU and pour yourself a nice warm cup of GFY!!!!!!!!

tomahawk kid
09-02-2005, 07:21 AM

Yeah - I get supply and demand. I have a minor in Economics

It's just discouraging & frustrating - that's all. I thought that gas prices have been inflated for the last few months and this was just another excuse to jack then up even higher.

I'm mostly frustrated about the situation in NO and gas prices are the last bamboo shoot under my fingernails. You want so badly to help - to make things better and I guess I just feel powerless right now.

PastorMikH
09-02-2005, 04:21 PM
$3.099 today locally. That's $.55 in 4 days.

I just went through a minor tirade with the wife. She thought I was being silly when I commented about not being able to take a kid with me on an errand because I was taking the motorcycle. She said I was being a bit ridiculous taking the bike when I could have driven (the daughter was wearing shorts and flip-flops so riding wasn't going to happen unless she changed, which she didn't want to do). I pointed out that it now costs us $1 to drive our van to the local K-Mart which is about 2 miles away. The Bike is getting better than double the MPG of the van so I'll ride the bike.

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:28 PM
$2.84 at Murphy (Wal-Mart) on the AR side. $2.81 with Wal-Mart CC or gift card.

Skip Towne
09-02-2005, 04:32 PM
On the news this morning, they said Tulsa has 20,000 gal. in storage for the weekend. :spock:

That doesn't seem like alot. Maybe that's in adition to regular deliveries? :shrug:

Don't know, I was still a little groggy.
That can't be right. I managed a station once that had 28,000 gallons of storage. Just one station.

PastorMikH
09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
That can't be right. I managed a station once that had 28,000 gallons of storage. Just one station.

Say, I'll bet gas cost around 25 cents a gallon back then didn't it?

'Course they probably don't let stations store that much anymore since that uhm, accident you had.

JOhn
09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Well gas jumped here at all the major station, Exxon, Conaco, Cennex etc from $2.64 yesterday to $2.79 Today. Of course Maverick is still at $2.59 ($2.57 with their discount card).

I'm sure by Monday it will be over $2.90. :cuss:

Freaking killing me, as I have to fill up EVERYDAY, and now spending $45 to fill the van 3/4 tank, were it was 25-30 a month ago. :banghead:
I so fugging Pissed off, this is total bullshit!!!

went to fill up tonight, $3.04 for regular unleaded. and that's at Maverick the cheapest in town. that's a whooping .45 in less than 2 days!!!
:cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead: :deevee: :deevee:

Skip Towne
09-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Say, I'll bet gas cost around 25 cents a gallon back then didn't it?

'Course they probably don't let stations store that much anymore since that uhm, accident you had.
The cheapest I ever sold it was 18.9. I'll bet todays Quik Trips have more storage than that. Some of them could sell that out in 3 days.

4th and Long
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I bought gas this morning and before I could get my wallet out of my pocket, they threw me on the counter and removed one of my kidneys with a box cutter from under the counter. They claimed there was no way I could have enough money to pay for the gas I pumped and said the the money they could get for my kidney on the black market might just cover the charge.

Hydrae
09-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I ducked into a station at 2.75 last night to fillup the second half of the tank. This morning, 2.99.

And remember, I am in Texas where every other field has oil pumps.

Skip Towne
09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I ducked into a station at 2.75 last night to fillup the second half of the tank. This morning, 2.99.

And remember, I am in Texas where every other field has oil pumps.
Speaking of oil jacks, I took a trip across the Oklahoma Plains today and I noticed all of them nodding up and down contentedly. I think I saw some of them smirking.

gblowfish
09-02-2005, 08:00 PM
$3.17 at Phillips & Conoco in Independence. $2.99 at QT. Mucho Sucko.

Has this affected anybodys travel plans? I'm going to the Mizzou game tomorrow, then staying home the rest of the holiday.

Skip Towne
09-02-2005, 09:08 PM
$3.17 at Phillips & Conoco in Independence. $2.99 at QT. Mucho Sucko.

Has this affected anybodys travel plans? I'm going to the Mizzou game tomorrow, then staying home the rest of the holiday.
I canceled all my travel plans.

ROYC75
09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
At a couple of places, it's already up a whole $ 1.00 from last week.....last Friday. :shake:

Can you say price gouging ......... 4321

luv
09-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Went up to 3.19 here last night. Noticed it had dropped back to 2.99 on my way home from work.