PDA

View Full Version : Q&A w/Dick Vermeil (8/30)

TRR
08-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Aug 30, 2005, 6:15:40 PM

DICK VERMEIL: “It was tough to see Shaunard Harts go. He was thrown into 17 games or so in the four years he’s been here. He did a good job. But that’s all part of this business. Same with Quinton Caver.”

Q: Are the safeties that are gone good news for Jerome Woods? Is he safe yet?

VERMEIL: “Jerome Woods? I always thought he was. I never had any plans to send him out of here. He’s a good football player when he’s healthy and he provides us depth and the ability to start if the starter is playing well. He also provides us with competition if he can play it better. He’ll do some things he hasn’t done in recent years like help with the (special) teams. But we all know he can play when he’s healthy.”

Q: Trent Green did not practice today. Is he going to play at all on Friday?

VERMEIL: “I’ll know better tonight or tomorrow morning. He’s going through a battery of tests. Like I said yesterday, some of these tests just aren’t five minute deals. They take sophisticated equipment and sophisticated people to administer them. We’ll know a lot more tomorrow.

Q: What about Dante Hall? Is his injury worse than you thought?

VERMEIL: “Initially I thought it was just going to be a couple of days. But he’s better today. He ran striders and gassers today and felt good running in a straight line. I think he’s fairly doubtful for the game Friday night but I think he’ll be ready to go next week.”

Q: How did Freddie Mitchell look to you?

VERMEIL: “He looked ok. I watched him too. It didn’t look like he favored his knee anyway. He was working hard and having fun and caught the ball when it was thrown to him. He did all right.”

Q: What do you need to see of him Friday to make this team?

VERMEIL: “I think we need to see if he was as good as he was. Not having coached him you never really know how he really was, only from what you saw of him on video tape. We know he was a first round pick; we know we had him as a first round pick; we know he’s made big catches in championship games and in Super Bowls. He’s got that kind of experience and poise. Now, it’s just whether he’s healthy and can catch on in a few days to impress us enough to let someone go in his place.”

Q: Peerless Price and Peter Warrick were cut today. Any interest in those guys?

VERMEIL: “I didn’t know about those guys. We had to let three guys go today – more than at other positions because when you play your fourth pre-season game you normally plan on playing your starters so many reps and then take them out. So, you have to have enough people to play a competitive game the rest of the game. We had more wide receivers than we had other positions and had some guys dinged elsewhere. That’s why so many receivers went.”

Q: What would be your plans if Trent can’t go? Is Huard back?

VERMEIL: “Huard hasn’t been given the go-ahead to play. However, he went through quarterback drills today.”

Q: What about Todd Collins? He’s throwing the ball, I see.

VERMEIL: “He’s gripping and throwing the ball about 15 yards. But, no, we’ll be very fortunate if we have him for the Jets game.”

Q: What tests did Green do today?

VERMEIL: “I can’t tell you. I really haven’t talked to Dr. Browne myself. Carl has and he said they’re finishing up one study and there’s one more they have to give him. We’ll have some answers or the answer is there’s nothing wrong.”

Q: Is there more concern for you today than yesterday?

VERMEIL: “I’m always concerned when you look out on the field and your starting quarterback’s not out on the field. You always have those concerns.”

Q: Is there even more concern that it’s numbness and not pain?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know. I get numbness in my left foot all the time – my whole foot and the back of my heel. It’s due to a sciatic nerve problem. But we don’t think Trent’s is due to a sciatic nerve problem.”

Q: What if it was that? How would that affect the way he plays? How does it affect you?

VERMEIL: “Well, if he couldn’t play it’s a big hurt, but we don’t anticipate that type of finding.”

Q: Do you know more today than you did yesterday?

VERMEIL: “I don’t. I think I will soon.”

Q: Letting Harts and Pile go who have made some starts for you the last couple of years, is that a comment on the play of William Bartee at safety?

VERMEIL: “First we brought Sammy Knight in. Then we put William Bartee in there and it looks like he’s going to be able to play that position and play it well. We’re only going with four safeties and when you play the Rams who use four wideouts a lot; you need four corners in the game all the time. When you take the two starters out you need four corners beyond that. That’s why you let safeties go and keep corners.”

Q: Any update on Corey Simon?

VERMEIL: “His name was mentioned in the building today. I don’t know if we checked the bank account or talked with his agent. But he didn’t sign (in Philadelphia) because of money. I don’t know what kind of money we have left to start over on something like that at this time. It would be great to have him because he’s a great football player.”

Q: Would you be willing to ask players to restructure something to make room for him?

VERMEIL: “That’s Carl’s and Denny Thum’s thing.”

Q: But you understood that his problem is all financial?

VERMEIL: “Well, he turned down a $5 million one-year contract, so it sounds like it’s financial.”

Q: How tough is it going to be get down to the 53-man roster?

VERMEIL: “It’s always tough to get to 53. It’ll come down to a gut feeling or how guys play. Sometimes it comes down to special teams.”

Q: How did Kendrell Bell play?

VERMEIL: “Special. Quick. I said to him today, I want to see what happens when you move that quick when there’s someone you don’t like in front of you. There should be a pretty good impact.”

Q: Will he get that chance Friday?

VERMEIL: ‘He’ll get that chance Friday.”

Q: How long do you expect to play him?

VERMEIL: “I haven’t talked to Gun but I would imagine the first quarter.”

TRR
08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Continued...

Q: Same with Carlos Hall?

VERMEIL: “I would hope but his knee bothered him last week and I took him out. But I expect him to.”

Count Alex's Wins
08-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Is there any doubt that Freddie Mitchell is battling Chris Horn for that final WR spot? Should be interesting watching Friday night.

TRR
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Is there any doubt that Freddie Mitchell is battling Chris Horn for that final WR spot? Should be interesting watching Friday night.

I believe Cro' Thorpe is in the mix as well for the final spot.

Count Alex's Wins
08-30-2005, 06:55 PM
I believe Cro' Thorpe is in the mix as well for the final spot.

I think Thorpe is already a lock. They can't put him on the practice squad, someone else might make it.

I guess it's possible Boerigter is also battling for the final spot, but I think we keep six:

Kennison
Parker
Hall
Thorpe
Boerigter
Horn/Mitchell

TRR
08-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I think Thorpe is already a lock. They can't put him on the practice squad, someone else might make it.

I guess it's possible Boerigter is also battling for the final spot, but I think we keep six:

Kennison
Parker
Hall
Thorpe
Boerigter
Horn/Mitchell

I would say it's the other way around. I think because Boe is such a solid ST's player, and has proven he is healthy enough to play WR, he is more of a lock than Thorpe is. Thorpe has been hurt, and pretty inconsistent even as a rookie. Reading Trent Green's comments on Thorpe firmly placed him on the bubble in my mind.

Count Alex's Wins
08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
I would say it's the other way around. I think because Boe is such a solid ST's player, and has proven he is healthy enough to play WR, he is more of a lock than Thorpe is. Thorpe has been hurt, and pretty inconsistent even as a rookie. Reading Trent Green's comments on Thorpe firmly placed him on the bubble in my mind.

I still think we keep six. No way they cut Thorpe.

TRR
08-30-2005, 07:02 PM
I still think we keep six. No way they cut Thorpe.

Under DV, I don't believe they've ever kept 6 WR's. Every season, it seems that keeping 6 would be a good thing to do, but they always keep 5, with one solid WR on the practice squad like Chris Horn. (although Horn is no longer eligible for the practice squad.)

Count Alex's Wins
08-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Under DV, I don't believe they've ever kept 6 WR's. Every season, it seems that keeping 6 would be a good thing to do, but they always keep 5, with one solid WR on the practice squad like Chris Horn. (although Horn is no longer eligible for the practice squad.)

That's what I think this year they keep six, plus the fact that Dante won't be used much at WR this year.

SNR
08-30-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't agree at all with Vermeil's decision to keep Woods. He's getting up there in years and we lost our two SOTF (safeties of the future).

Harts (and Pile) were damn good 7th round picks. It's a shame we couldn't stick with them.

tomahawk kid
08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Does the fact that Trent is having more tests concern anyone else?

I can't even fathon Green not being about to go for KC. You could cut our win total in half.

Sweet Jesus let him be okay and ready to kick some Jet hiney on opening day..... :grovel:

:Lin:

TRR
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't agree at all with Vermeil's decision to keep Woods. He's getting up there in years and we lost our two SOTF (safeties of the future).

Harts (and Pile) were damn good 7th round picks. It's a shame we couldn't stick with them.

Woods contract is too big to eat. Why eat a 2 or 3 million dollar contract for a player you cut (Woods), when the player you keep (Harts) isn't much better.

TRR
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM

I can't even fathon Green not being about to go for KC. You could cut our win total in half.

Sweet Jesus let him be okay and ready to kick some Jet hiney on opening day..... :grovel:

Not at all.

the Talking Can
08-30-2005, 07:27 PM

yeah, it makes me nervous...but it will take a lot to keep him off the field, though we may need to accelarate that whole QBOTF thing...

it would be too cruel if we finally fixed the D and Green can't go...

OldTownChief
08-30-2005, 07:31 PM
If Trent is not 100% nothing else will matter.

SNR
08-30-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm not worried about Trent. Vermeil said Trent could've kept playing in that preseason game, so I think it would be just something he would have to deal with for a season, but he could definitely play through it.

Rausch
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm not worried about Trent. Vermeil said Trent could've kept playing in that preseason game, so I think it would be just something he would have to deal with for a season, but he could definitely play through it.

Yeah, well the last time Green had trouble planting his foot he turned into the Incredible TrINT...

milkman
08-30-2005, 07:46 PM

Yeah, I'm a little concerned.

But I'm not going to worry over it.
Hopefully it's something that won't grow into bigger problems.

TRing
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM

Numbness in any part of your body is never good. Which, yes, does bring some concern. I do think he will be fine, but it is still something to watch for.

CHIEF4EVER
08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Q: Any update on Corey Simon?

VERMEIL: “His name was mentioned in the building today. I don’t know if we checked the bank account or talked with his agent. But he didn’t sign (in Philadelphia) because of money. I don’t know what kind of money we have left to start over on something like that at this time. It would be great to have him because he’s a great football player.”

Getting Corey Simon would be so friggin great but is an obvious pipe dream barring some SERIOUSLY creative cap manipulation.

Dave Lane
08-30-2005, 09:22 PM

Yep... and rep

Dave

penguinz
08-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, well the last time Green had trouble planting his foot he turned into the Incredible TrINT...
He had trouble planting his foot because Roaf stepped on it and his show came off.

unlurking
08-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else want to hear more from Gun? It seems like DV is calling all the shots on D, like pulling Hall, but I just can't see that with Gun. I'm guessing it's more along the lines of DV just handling the press so Gun deal with work and not media pressures, but I'd still like to hear reporters asking questions of Gun like "why did you have the corners play off against Seattle?"

shaneo69
08-30-2005, 10:53 PM

I totally agree. Vermiel's keeping all these jack@sses who have sucked and brought down our defense, like Woods, Bartee, and Siavii, while cutting guys who have some enthusiasm for playing the game like Harts and Pile.

Woods would bring us cap relief this year. It would be a hit next year, but who cares. He is not the special teams player that Harts or Pile is, and that's what we need from our backup safety. When I read that article in the Star about Ambrose saying that he saw younger guys with more enthusiasm and energy than him, I kept thinking of Woods and his slackass attitude. Harts and Pile at least brought some energy, while Bartee brings nothing but a bad reputation and a fitting nickname. I've seen this guy look good in previous training camps and give us nothing in the regular season. Pile and Harts would be cheaper AND better than our former 1st and 2nd round picks.

Halfcan
08-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Yep I agree shane-I liked harts and pile better than woods and bartee. Woods still might get it though if we sign someone.

Rausch
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
He had trouble planting his foot because Roaf stepped on it and his show came off.

Roaf wasn't here when TrINT was...

beer bacon
08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I bet Trent has one of the worst lost shoe to interception ratios in the league.

philfree
08-31-2005, 12:17 AM

Even though Green has started 60some games straight he hasn't really been a 100% for all of those. Besides his knee rehab Trent has had ankle and back issues off and on in the time he's been our starter. Unless he has something life threatening like blood clots he'll play and play well as long as he has a little time. He ain't gonna sit out any regular season games unless he has a major issue. He's been through to much to get where he's at and I imagine they'll have to carry him off the field before he let's another have a shot at his job.

PhilFree:arrow: