PDA

View Full Version : "Negativity"

Gaz
09-09-2000, 08:01 AM
I’ve read a lot lately about “negativity” from Chiefs fans, and I realized that I don’t know what some folks mean by that word.

Let’s take me for example: I have been a Chiefs fan for 20+ years. I cheer for them when they play well and I cheer for them when they play terrible. I acknowledge the good and bad things about our team. I look at our players and think that we have more talent on Offense than we have in years. I look at my Defense players and see that we are getting bigger and faster. I look at our coaching staff and see that they are misusing the talent we have on the team.

As a result of my growing disenchantment with our coaching staff, my expectations for my team this season are shrinking. I do not expect us to win the AFC West, for example [I think Oakland or Denver will take that position]. I do not expect us to significantly improve as a team until the coaching staff is replaced. Still, I will cheer for my team every game, every play.

Is that “negativity?”

xoxo~
gaz
prepared to be stereotyped.<BR>

milkman
09-09-2000, 08:09 AM
No, that is being realistic.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>

bkkcoh
09-09-2000, 08:14 AM
Gaz,

I don't think your statements are negative at all. I think that the statements you made are those of a fan. There are problems with poeple coming in here like 'PACKFAN' who never has a nice thing to say about the Chiefs. I guess this is to be expected since the Packers are the best thing since sliced bread. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

I think it is just like brothers and sisters, they can fight like hell all they want to among themselves, but let an outsider pick a fight with one or the other and see the dogpiling begin.

The truth in a situation may or may not be negative. I agree that the coaches aren't using the talent we have to thier fullest ability. But professional pride needs to come in to allow the player the added incentive to perofmr that he/she is capable of.

I do think the Chiefs team could be a good team, if they get a couple of breaks, maybe a very good team. Time will tell, but I will always watch the game if possible and catch the highlights on "NFL Primetime".

------------------
bk

milkman
09-09-2000, 08:18 AM
As each game passes, it seemingly appears that Gun was the wrong choice for the HC position. One positive is that he clearly has an eye for talent, as this last draft just might be the most productive draft the Chiefs have ever had. I wouldn't mind seeing him used in the scouting department when the season is over, and he is replaced. As for The Three Stooges, just ****can them and get them as far away from KC as possible.

------------------

Red Eyes

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-09-2000, 08:20 AM
Gaz,

Personally, I would classify negativity by the apparent gleeful "wallowing" in the Chiefs misery. Too many people on this board (for my taste)seem to focus their entire "board" life in running down the Chiefs while claiming to be Chiefs Fans.

Never do they even look for what we're doing right. Every post is looking for a chink in the Chiefs Armor, The QB is not good enough, the RB is not good enough, the WR are not good enough, the LBs aren't good enough, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Now, do I think we could do better. Hell yes, you can always do better, people can always play better, coaches can always coach better.

But not to acknowledge when things do improve, to automatically cut people down because they disagree with you, to ONLY dwell on what's wrong...that's negativity.

I see it more as people who're unhappy and they seem to feel the need to drag others down to their level. They can't stand the fact that others might be enjoying themselves so they attack posts with insults, calling names and attempting to ridicule the person rather than having an honest converstation with them.

Then again, this is my opinion and as ususal, your mileage may vary.

------------------
Misplaced Chiefs Fan
Red and Gold on the Warpath
Nightwolf Graphics (http://www.nightwolfgraphics.com)

[This message has been edited by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (edited 09-09-2000).]

Luzap
09-09-2000, 08:26 AM
An astute question, and I'm not sure that I have the answer.

I do, however, know what I don't like seeing in mine, or other's posts.

I see people that are more optomistic than I am, and I am happy for them. The last thing I would want to do would be to try and deter their enthusiasm.

I know that on any given day, they could be right. Against all odds (as I see them) our team could win. Against all odds, our team could be champions.

While I may not agree with their assesments, and while I feel free to state my own less opptomistic opinion (and support it with reasoning), I would never try to tell the others that they are wrong; that they don't know what they're talking about; that there is no way the Chiefs can...

Methinks THAT is negativety, and I don't like reading it.

Methinks it is also an ethical/maturity thing and is not a constructive use of human emotion.

Luz
methinks the chiefs will win this sunday...

NaptownChief
09-09-2000, 07:30 PM
Gaz,

The bottom line is that if you are a true passionate fan like most of us the "negativity" is a part of the passion...When things are good we all walk around smiling ear to ear...When things are bad it takes until Wens. or Thursday to get over the previous Sunday...Football probably shouldn't control our lives and emotions but it does...So when things are bad we will set around picking apart the issues until things turn around...The coaches, players and owners don't want to hear about the "negative" stuff when things are down, but it is that same passion that cause us to throw money at them hand over fist so that they can enjoy seven figure salaries...They have to take the good with the bad...If they can't deal with it then get out.

TEX
09-09-2000, 09:29 PM
Gaz,
To answer your question it's a very REALISTIC way to look at a BAD situation. That's NOT negativity in my book at all. I bet most feel the same way. If you remember, I felt all along that we had the talent to contend in the weak West but not an enough to make up for the abundance poor coaching. That's exactly the reason why I picked the Chiefs to finish 4th in the West. IMHO, any serious hopes of contending were dashed when the coaching staff was retained.

kcred
09-09-2000, 09:30 PM
Gaz - Achieving objectivity, while avoiding the tag of negativity, is damn near impossible on this board. If you point out a problem, you are reminded that a true Chiefs fan, would not be negative. On the other hand, if you point out a positive situation, you are branded a homer. I have been a Chiefs fan even longer than you, I have been through the lean years, and the good years, therefore I have adopted the position, to hell with peoples opinion of me. I will continue to ask, who do we have better than Grbac, for the Grbashers. While at the same time, wonder where in the world is our coaches collective head. Your observations are astute, and I am in total agreement. I hope the Chiefs pull one out tomorrow, nothing would make me happier, but realistically do not expect it.

MegaChief
09-09-2000, 10:06 PM
Gaz,

I quit posting on the KC Star BB because I kept getting blasted about being negative. I always stated that I was being "realistic". The "homers" want you to be positive about every aspect of the chiefs. If you are critical about anything from the front office down, you are not a "true fan" in their eyes.

I agree with your thoughts 100%. I pull for the Chiefs every week. Even tomorrow when they are going to get killed by the Titans because of a boring, conservative, and predicatable offensive philosophy that died out in the 60's.

I'm secretly hoping for a big second half of the season!

stevieray
09-09-2000, 11:16 PM
I think what causes the contoversy is how the views are delivered...If they come across as vicious, then people respond. Everyone has made their case, to the point of no return.

Now a lot of people question Gun's respect from the players, he's over his head, etc...Tommorrow's game should give us a good impression whether all the "negativity" is valid. I knew a lot of fans are disgruntled, but it must have been deep-rooted to rise to the surface after our Season Opener...

Dr. Red
09-10-2000, 12:18 AM
What is the definition of a good fan? Is it possible for a good fan to become so disenfranchised with the team they root for that they ignore all positives that the team is currently doing and forget to credit those responsible? I think so. I think, no matter how long someone has been a fan of a team, that they can change and their actions can show that they are not a fan of the particular team as deeply as they believe they are.

Once, in my estimation, any fan no longer tries to see the whole picture and tosses away the positive in the present and the future for the opportunity to keep crying about the past, they are fair weather fans. Be they 20 year ticket holders or just so called fans for the last couple years. The truth hurts.

See what happens is that people who have been rooting for the chiefs for awhile have feelings of ambiguity because they've became so cynical and negative but deep inside they have this true love for the chiefs that they don't let shine. Well actions (i.e. posts) speak louder than good intentions and thus without even knowing it they have become fair weather fans. This sad to see happen because our chiefs.....

1. Competed against a d#am good team last week.

2. Have made a committment to youth. That can make an immediate impact.

I'll however look forward to those who say "I say just as much positive about the chiefs as negative" I'll just laugh at them and say poppycock. You have no idea how silly some people look trying to destroy everything good the chiefs have built but in the same breath try and say they back them.

It's truly pathetic.

Chieficus
09-10-2000, 09:43 AM
Being negative is simply at best being a fair-weather fan...

Now let me explain that...

Negative is: Always complaining about the bad 24-7, never seeing the good, never seeing the positives and going into game-time situations with the attidtude of: Why does it matter? This team sucks, they aren't going to win. They're just a bunch of losers... etc... etc... etc...

Being a TRUE FAN, on the other hand--there are times where you're going to be angry, you're going to have bad things to say, you're going to chastise and go off. You're going to call for the heads of bad coaches and call for the benching of terrible players. You will make negative comments...because you LOVE your team...

Yet at the same time, you're not going to quit cheering for them, you're not going to give up your passion for them... and while you may not belive that they'll win every game, you're not going to sit down to watch the game (no matter who they play) without having that deep down feeling and hope that says: Hey, they can win this thing.

------------------
Lightening Crashes... and i am there...

milkman
09-10-2000, 10:04 AM
Chieficus,
That is a very good post. I think that you have hit the nail on the head. I know I am sitting and thinking that the Chiefs should not be able to win this game today, realisticly, yet somehow, deep inside of me I believe, not just hope, that they will pull off the upset. I can't help myself, it's just the way I feel. Logic and objectivity tell me I should just ignore this feeling, but I can't, and I don't want to.
Chiefs 27 Titans 17.
Go Chiefs

------------------

Red Eyes

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 03:37 PM
Gaz,

No, the frustration sets in with good reason.
Anybody who has been a fan for more than a decade should understand.