PDA

View Full Version : Funny. KC NOT one of the ten worst QB situations. Rest of AFC West? Yup

donkhater
08-31-2005, 07:38 AM
NFL backups are a sorry lot
Story Tools: Print Email
Peter Schrager / FOXSports.com
Posted: 14 hours ago

If you've been watching the NFL preseason this year, there are certain things you've surely noticed.

To even the casual fan, it's been quite apparent that the Jaguars got a steal in Matt Jones with the 21st pick in the draft, that the Lions' offense looks to be vastly improved from last season and that Brian Billick's new goatee is going to have more passing yards than the Chicago Bears' quarterbacks this season.

You might have also noticed that stranger holding a clipboard on your favorite team's sideline. That's the backup quarterback. Hopefully, you won't have to get to know him this year.

Yes, there's an absolute dearth of quality backup quarterbacks in the league this fall. Long gone are the days of Dave Krieg, Frank Reich and Neil O'Donnell seamlessly entering contests in the fourth quarter to save the day. To be certain, Jeff Hostetler and Randall Cunningham won't be working any team's midseason miracles this year. Trent Dilfer and Gus Frerotte, perennial leaders in the "best backup QB" category, are now starters. You can cross Chris Chandler and Rodney Peete off the list of recognizable backups, too. Everywhere you look, the familiar faces are gone. As a result, potential playoff teams are taking risks on unproven talent as their insurance plans at QB.

With quarterback injuries so common (except in Green Bay) in today's game, it's impossible to accurately predict this year's playoff contenders. With a simple tweak of an ankle or hit to the head, a team like the Colts can go from a 14-2 playoff lock to a 7-9 mess.

Digging through the depth charts of all 32 NFL teams, here is a list of the 10 shakiest backup quarterback situations in the league this season:

Baltimore Ravens
Starter: Kyle Boller

Backups: Anthony Wright, Derek Anderson, Darian Durant

Grade: D

Comment: Boller's got a lot to prove ... again. Luckily, there's no threat of anyone on the bench replacing him.

Is MAC alum Charlie Frye the second coming of Ben Roethlisberger? Probably not. (Mark Duncan / Associated Press)

Cleveland Browns
Starter: Trent Dilfer

Backups: Doug Johnson, Charlie Frye, Josh Harris

Comment: Two years ago, Johnson took over for the Falcons when Michael Vick went down with injury. He was absolutely dreadful, and Atlanta missed the playoffs. Frye and Harris were both tremendous college quarterbacks in the MAC. Could either be the next Ben Roethlisberger? Probably not.

Denver Broncos
Starter: Jake Plummer

Backups: Bradlee Van Pelt, Danny Kanell, Matt Mauck

Grade: F

Comment: Van Pelt and Mauck are raw and untested. Kanell's best years are behind him. Great news for Denver fans, right?

Indianapolis Colts
Starter: Peyton Manning

Backups: Jim Sorgi, Travis Brown, Tom Arth

Comment: Sorgi wasn't anything special at Wisconsin and has done nothing of note in any of his preseason appearances. Brown and Arth sound like a law firm, not a quarterback tandem.

Marques Tuiasosopo has barely seen actual game action. (David Paul Morris / Getty Images)

Oakland Raiders
Starter: Kerry Collins

Backups: Marques Tuiasosopo, Andrew Walter

Comment: In four NFL seasons, Tuisasosopo's started one game. That tells you something?

San Diego Chargers
Starter: Drew Brees

Backups: Phillip Rivers, Cleo Lemon, Craig Ochs

Comment: Rivers has tremendous potential and had time to learn from Doug Flutie last year. But he's just not ready. As for Lemon and Ochs — it sounds like a recipe for pie.

Seneca Wallace's preseason has raised some eyebrows. (Chris Graythen / Getty Images)

Seattle Seahawks
Starter: Matt Hasselbeck

Backups: Seneca Wallace, David Greene, Gibran Hamdan

Comment: Wallace has been hyped as the "The Next Michael Vick." Not quite. Rookie David Greene, an NCAA record holder at Georgia, may be the more reliable option of the two. Regardless, neither Wallace nor Greene could possibly lead a team to the playoffs.

San Francisco 49ers
Starter: Tim Rattay

Backups: Alex Smith, Ken Dorsey

Comment: Next.

New York Giants
Starter: Eli Manning

Backups: Tim Hasselbeck, Jesse Palmer, Jared Lorenzen

Comment: One's wife is on The View, another was The Bachelor and the last one belongs on Celebrity Fit Club. All three are terrible. Sign Tim Couch … now!

Dallas Cowboys
Starter: Drew Bledsoe

Backups: Drew Henson, Tony Romo

Comment: Henson's had a rough time since coming to Dallas last year, and rumors leaking out of Dallas say that Romo's jumped him on the depth chart. Let's put it this way — Bledsoe better not get hurt.

Editor's note: We're not even going to mention the Bears.

Starting quarterbacks go down with season-ending injuries all too often. Ask the Jets' fans who lost Vinny Testaverde in 1999. Talk to a Jaguars supporter about the Bill Romanowski-Mark Brunell preseason hit from a few years ago. Give a Falcons die-hard a call about the 2003 season. E-mail your face-painting buddy from Oakland about Rich Gannon's Sunday night game vs. Tampa Bay last September. Oftentimes, once the quarterback goes down, the season is lost forever.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Sometimes backups fill in to save the day. Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, Jeff Hostetler, Earl Morrall and Bubby Brister have all carried teams to playoff berths off the bench in the past.

Could your favorite team's backup do the same in 2005?

Looking at some of the guys roaming the sidelines with clipboards this year, it's safe to say you'd rather not have to find out.

StcChief
08-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Chiefs aren't on his radar screen....

I agree we should sign Couch

njbill
08-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Our QB isnt the one battling numbness in his foot.... I'm just sayin

Brock
08-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Chiefs aren't on his radar screen....

I agree we should sign Couch

You might just as well sign Crouch.

Chiefnj
08-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Pretty harsh giving San Diego a D with Rivers on the bench.

Area 51
08-31-2005, 08:18 AM
Comment: In four NFL seasons, Tuisasosopo's started one game. That tells you something?

Didn't he play against the Chiefs when they knocked Gannon out of a game? Wasn't he hurt in the next game and wasn't able to start after that? I seem to remember that Gannon was back before Tui.

Regardless, they are still in the bottom dwellers mode right now.

milkman
08-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Pretty harsh giving San Diego a D with Rivers on the bench.

I've only watched one SD preseason game, but what I did see of Rivers, well, color me highly unimpressed.

I don't believe I've ever seen a QB's release as slow as his.
I felt like I was watching it in slow motion.

Chief Faithful
08-31-2005, 08:31 AM
I've only watched one SD preseason game, but what I did see of Rivers, well, color me highly unimpressed.

Really bad news for SD if Rivers turns out to be a bust because at some point the team has to put him on the field to prove himself. Thus, what do you do with Brees, the guy that has proved himself, while the team determines if Rivers has any value?

But, when your team is good only once a decade I guess it doesn't really matter.

Chiefnj
08-31-2005, 08:36 AM

I looked good shredding KC last year in his first NFL action.

Fairplay
08-31-2005, 08:41 AM
NFL backups are a sorry lot

Baltimore Ravens
Starter: Kyle Boller

Backups: Anthony Wright, Derek Anderson, Duran Duran

Maybe Duran Duran can sing 'Say a prayer for me now' when they are losing.

Fairplay
08-31-2005, 08:43 AM
On a side note of interest. Ex-NFL QB Gary Hogeboom is going to be in this seasons Survivor.

milkman
08-31-2005, 08:44 AM

You're Phillip Rivers?!
Cool! :p

That slow realease will create problems for him against good defenses with a pass rush.

donkhater
08-31-2005, 09:04 AM

Really? Form what I've seen his release isn't that slow. In fact on the TD he threw against GB this preseason I thought it was rather quick.

If you want to see a slow release go ahead and sign Couch. Or better yet, wait for our first game and give 'ol Pennington a look-see.

Chief Faithful
08-31-2005, 09:05 AM

A backup rookie QB looking good against the KC defense last year? Do you have any better examples?

Bowser
08-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Our QB isnt the one battling numbness in his foot.... I'm just sayin

I'd rather have a QB with a numb foot as opposed to haveing a numb brain.

milkman
08-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Really? Form what I've seen his release isn't that slow. In fact on the TD he threw against GB this preseason I thought it was rather quick.

If you want to see a slow release go ahead and sign Couch. Or better yet, wait for our first game and give 'ol Pennington a look-see.

The game I watched, I can't remember who the opponent was, I felt as though I had time to go to the refrigerator, get something to drink and eat, all in the time it took him to release.

Maybe he reverted back to old mechanics, and the Chargers have corrected it.

patteeu
08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure what's so surprising about this. Collins might not be pro-bowl material, but he's got to be one of the better backups in the league (especially if you discount guys like Rivers who have tons of potential but are completely unproven).

kepp
08-31-2005, 11:14 AM

I totally agree man. He looked like he was shotputting.