PDA

View Full Version : Never trust a lawyer.... EVER!

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Dirty C**k biters. I had a finale court hearing on Friday, and gave the lawyer a post dated check for Sept 15th to cover the last part of the legal fee's. Son a biatch agreed to cash it on the 15th and then turned around and cashed it that same fuggin afternoon. :cuss:

Azz bandit just fugged me on my rent and several other bills that I can't pay now until the 9th. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Bowser
08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Why didn't you just pay him on the 15th?

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:06 AM
What in the hell have I done to merit this stretch of bad luck.

Simplex3
08-31-2005, 10:09 AM
Your first mistake was believing your lawyer (or doctor) was paying attention to anything you said.

Did the asswipe at least get you off?

Iowanian
08-31-2005, 10:10 AM
With a little luck, your ex only got the summer home on the beach in Nawlins....

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Why didn't you just pay him on the 15th?

Because the pillow biter looked me right in the eye and told me it wouldn't be a problem. He would just have his secretarey deposit it on the 15th. :cuss: :cuss:

StcChief
08-31-2005, 10:12 AM
mail him the check on 14th.

Iowanian
08-31-2005, 10:12 AM
call him.....Put it on speaker phone so we can all hear too.

milkman
08-31-2005, 10:13 AM
I think you should sue him!

R&GHomer
Your first mistake was believing your lawyer (or doctor) was paying attention to anything you said.

Did the asswipe at least get you off?

Wasn't that kind of hearing really... It was for my bankruptcy preceding my divorce, that just got pushed back from Sept 7th too Oct 12th...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the ****ing humanity.

Hoover
Shit, I married a lawyer!

Saulbadguy
Fifty thousand dollars....

You'd be surprised how often that works.

http://www.thesimpsonsquotes.com/images/hutz_pointing.gif

Hoover
She also takes all my money!

BigRedChief
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm reminded of the Seinfeld joke about Tide............

If you are having court dates and seeing lawyers maybe the date a check is cashed is not your biggest issue. :p

but then its a divorce and not civil right.

milkman

And like any good lawyer, I'll bet she's ****ing you!

Simplex3
Wasn't that kind of hearing really... It was for my bankruptcy preceding my divorce, that just got pushed back from Sept 7th too Oct 12th...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the ****ing humanity.
Uhhh, you expected a guy that knows you're declaring bankruptcy and then getting divorced to hold a check? Hate to tell you but I probably wouldn't have even TAKEN a check from a guy in that situation.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Maybe his secretary screwed up. Have you called him?

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
I think you should sue him!

If he did, I'll bet the second lawyer would be careful about when he cashed the check for the lawsuit.

MOhillbilly
08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
maybe this will make you feel better.

Got tanked lastnight and blew a hole in the back of my couch AND my coffee table AND my CPU monitor.

Came to work this morning and a bitch ass boss was bumping his gums so i got in his face and slaped his coffee cup outta his hands.
Scared ass bitch.

(pretty sure i was still drunk from lastnight)

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Uhhh, you expected a guy that knows you're declaring bankruptcy and then getting divorced to hold a check? Hate to tell you but I probably wouldn't have even TAKEN a check from a guy in that situation.

Of course I did. Bankruptcy only applies to the debt you acquired prior to the date you filed.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Of course I did. Bankruptcy only applies to the debt you acquired prior to the date you filed.But it also speaks to your financial responsibility.

Bwana
08-31-2005, 10:23 AM
I would have to agree. With the exception of gobo, Baby Lee and one or two other lawyers that post on here, I don't trust the pricks. I have been dealing with one for the last 18 months over a car deal that should have been resloved months ago. I know WITHOUT QUESTION that the two lawyers involved are "milking it out" until the retainers are all burned up. I know when that happens, like magic, it will get resloved, fuggen cockroaches.

vailpass
08-31-2005, 10:26 AM

Got tanked lastnight and blew a hole in the back of my couch AND my coffee table AND my CPU monitor.

Came to work this morning and a bitch ass boss was bumping his gums so i got in his face and slaped his coffee cup outta his hands.
Scared ass bitch.

Wow. I'd be interested in hearing the rest of the story.
This definetely deserves it's own thread.

Simplex3
08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
I would have to agree. With the exception of gobo, Baby Lee and one or two other lawyers that post on here, I don't trust the pricks. I have been dealing with one for the last 18 months over a car deal that should have been resloved months ago. I know WITHOUT QUESTION that the two lawyers involved are "milking it out" until the retainers are all burned up. I know when that happens, like magic, it will get resloved, fuggen cockroaches.
Oh, I had one write an Operating Agreement for one of my companies, then when I called to ask him a question he tells me he'll have to charge me to review the document before he can answer the question. Wants me to pay him 4 hours to figure out what he put in the document he wrote. I paid some other guy 4 hours to figure it out and never gave the first a**hole another cent.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2005, 10:30 AM
kinda what i was thinking ROFL

he knew you were in bankruptcy and got while the gettin' was good

sorry :(

Area 51
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM

Scared ass bitch.

And you are still employed?

Bwana
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM

As in blew a hole threw them with something like a 12 gauge? If so, what the hell did the couch say to you to get you that pissed off? :hmmm:

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Dirty C**k biters. I had a finale court hearing on Friday, and gave the lawyer a post dated check for Sept 15th to cover the last part of the legal fee's. Son a biatch agreed to cash it on the 15th and then turned around and cashed it that same fuggin afternoon. :cuss:

Azz bandit just fugged me on my rent and several other bills that I can't pay now until the 9th. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Jerk and A-hole.

I deal with lawyers all the time (obviously, since I am one myself). MOST are honorable people. Unfortunately, a select few do a great job of giving the rest of us a bad name.

Area 51
08-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Jerk and A-hole.

I deal with lawyers all the time (obviously, since I am one myself). MOST are honorable people. Unfortunately, a select few do a great job of giving the rest of us a bad name.I heard that 99% of lawyers make it hard on the rest of them. BTW, Which group are you in?

Mr. Laz
08-31-2005, 10:41 AM
btw i hired a lawyer to take care of something for me.

paid 1/2 up front

he told me "it's no big deal, no problem, almost done etc"

then i gave him the 2nd check to finish it

boom.......

suddenly it's a problem that he can't deal with ... blah,blah,blah

got his money and skated

fuggers

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
But it also speaks to your financial responsibility.

I don't know if you're intentionally implying that I'm a non bill paying, bankruptcy "for the fun of it" douche bag or not. But with being unemployed for nearly six months and my wife leaving me I just had no other alternative. Not to mention the faggit knew my situation.

SOB was going to get his money, and I might add, in a manner he agreed upon. The dude is a ****ing a hole, and their is no making excuses for the shit head.

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I understand hating lawyers as a matter of principle, but at the same time I must offer a word of defense. As another person in the "information business" I occasionally get calls from people who are asking my advice. I'll try to help, but at the same time it's hard for me to share information for free when that's how I earn my living. People don't realize that when they ask for an hour of my time, that's an hour where I don't get a paycheck. I'm sure that lawyers have it much worse than a firm like mine, since we get very little business "off the street."

I had a one-person marketing firm a while back that called me up, and asked about hiring me for focus groups. We held two meetings, about five hours of my time, and she pumped me for every detail about how we approach focus groups. Thinking she was thorough, I explained to her how we do things and why. Then she decided not to hire my firm, and I found out later that she did the work herself using my firm's systems and even one of our subcontractors, (and did a bad job on it, too, according to the subcontractor). She had the audacity a month or two later to call up and try to ask me more questions, and she went straight to voice mail limbo.

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 10:48 AM
btw i hired a lawyer to take care of something for me.

paid 1/2 up front

he told me "it's no big deal, no problem, almost done etc"

then i gave him the 2nd check to finish it

boom.......

suddenly it's a problem that he can deal with ... blah,blah,blah

got his money and skated

fuggers

That sounds like soemthing that maybe should be reported to the board of bar overseers or whatever its called in your jurisdiction, to launch an investigation.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:48 AM
:deevee:

I just realized my life is turning into a ****ing country and western song. :deevee:

Lzen
08-31-2005, 10:51 AM

My condolences.

jspchief
I don't know if you're intentionally implying that I'm a non bill paying, bankruptcy "for the fun of it" douche bag or not. But with being unemployed for nearly six months and my wife leaving me I just had no other alternative. Not to mention the Rump Rangergit knew my situation.

SOB was going to get his money, and I might add, in a manner he agreed upon. The dude is a ****ing a hole, and their is no making excuses for the shit head.I don't know anything about you. You may be someone who's situation was unavoidable, or you may be someone who's made their own bed. That's of no consequence to my point.

I was simply implying that there is probably a fair percentage of people that claim bankruptcy that are doing it because they were financially irresponsible. If they are willing to bail out on their debt to their creditors, why wouldn't they be willing to bail on their debt to their lawyer? This guy has probably received his fair share of bad checks from bankruptcy clients.

Besides that, if the arrangement was that he was due payment upon completion of his services, he's well within his right to cash that check that same day. Being a business owner that gets stiffed for lengthy periods of time on occasion, I can certainly see his side of it.

Coach
R&G,

I'm sorry to hear what you have to go through, man. I know it's tough, but just keep your head up, and try to stay positive man. I know it's hard, but just stay positive. Something will work out the best for you sometime.

milkman
08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't know anything about you. You may be someone who's situation was unavoidable, or you may be someone who's made their own bed. That's of no consequence to my point.

I was simply implying that there is probably a fair percentage of people that claim bankruptcy that are doing it because they were financially irresponsible. If they are willing to bail out on their debt to their creditors, why wouldn't they be willing to bail on their debt to their lawyer? This guy has probably received his fair share of bad checks from bankruptcy clients.

Besides that, if the arrangement was that he was due payment upon completion of his services, he's well within his right to cash that check that same day. Being a business owner that gets stiffed for lengthy periods of time on occasion, I can certainly see his side of it.

But he agreed to hold that check until the 15th.
In doing so, and then turning around and cashing it that same day, he lied.

But because he may have been stiffed before, lying is ok, right?

R&GHomer
I don't know anything about you. You may be someone who's situation was unavoidable, or you may be someone who's made their own bed. That's of no consequence to my point.

What.. Am I speaking Swahili or something? The agreement was, I would write him a post dated check for the 15th and he would cash it on the 15th.

alanm
"First thing we do, is kill all the lawyers"
Dick the Butcher - Henry VI :clap: :thumb: :D

MOhillbilly
08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
As in blew a hole threw them with something like a 12 gauge? If so, what the hell did the couch say to you to get you that pissed off? :hmmm:

yep a 12 gauge. i dont even know how it happened and didnt remember till i got up to come to work and seen the shotgun laying on the floor.

Yes i am still employed.Noone has said shit about it,got em walkin on eggshells.:)

Lzen

Your point is moot. They agreed upon something and the lawyer broke that agreement. If the lawyer was concerned about getting stiffed, he should never have made the agreement in the first place.

jspchief
What.. Am I speaking Swahili or something? The agreement was, I would write him a post dated check for the 15th and he would cash it on the 15th.Was the original agreement that he gets paid on completion of his services? If so, then you backed out of that arrangement. How would that be different than him backing out of the next?

Personally, I think he never should have agreed to that, but he probably figured it was the only way he could insure getting that check in his hand.

Lzen
08-31-2005, 10:59 AM
yep a 12 gauge. i dont even know how it happened and didnt remember till i got up to come to work and seen the shotgun laying on the floor.

Yes i am still employed.Noone has said shit about it,got em walkin on eggshells.:)

Probably afraid you'll go postal on them.
:shake:

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 11:00 AM

Anyone seen those commercials recently? "You Drink, You Shoot, You Lose."

MOhillbilly
08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Probably afraid you'll go postal on them.

if they dont watch there ass,i just might.

Bwana
08-31-2005, 11:01 AM

Damn, did it kill the computer or just wound it? :eek:

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Was the original agreement that he gets paid on completion of his services? If so, then you backed out of that arrangement. How would that be different than him backing out of the next?

Personally, I think he never should have agreed to that, but he probably figured it was the only way he could insure getting that check in his hand.

No it wasn't as a matter of fact. It ended up costing me a little more because my legal insurance didn't pay him as much as he had originally thought.

I think you missed your calling.

jspchief
Your point is moot. They agreed upon something and the lawyer broke that agreement. If the lawyer was concerned about getting stiffed, he should never have made the agreement in the first place.What other choice does he have? If he says no to waiting until the 15th, then RG comes back and says "well then, I'll have to pay you later" and the lawyer is left hoping that someone who is so broke he had to claim bankruptcy will honor his next debt more than he's honored past debts.

Mr. Laz
That sounds like soemthing that maybe should be reported to the board of bar overseers or whatever its called in your jurisdiction, to launch an investigation.
ya... except that it's in a different state and i was trying to handle it long distance.

didn't work :mad:

MOhillbilly
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Damn, did it kill the computer or just wound it? :eek:

obliterated it.

go bowe
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
I would have to agree. With the exception of gobo, Baby Lee and one or two other lawyers that post on here, I don't trust the pricks. I have been dealing with one for the last 18 months over a car deal that should have been resloved months ago. I know WITHOUT QUESTION that the two lawyers involved are "milking it out" until the retainers are all burned up. I know when that happens, like magic, it will get resloved, fuggen cockroaches.patteau and turnabroad are pretty cool guys too...

we have others on here, but they don't seem to make it as well known that they are lawyers...

well, except for jet eoh...

milkman
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
What other choice does he have? If he says no to waiting until the 15th, then RG comes back and says "well then, I'll have to pay you later" and the lawyer is left hoping that someone who is so broke he had to claim bankruptcy will honor his next debt more than he's honored past debts.

All you are doing is rationalizing a blatant lie.

Bwana
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
obliterated it.

Oh chit! That was one expensive bottle of whisky.

go bowe
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh, I had one write an Operating Agreement for one of my companies, then when I called to ask him a question he tells me he'll have to charge me to review the document before he can answer the question. Wants me to pay him 4 hours to figure out what he put in the document he wrote. I paid some other guy 4 hours to figure it out and never gave the first a**hole another cent.he probably didn't write it...

does he have junior lawyers or paralegals in his firm?

it sounds awful when you put it like that, but most corporate lawyers (for big corporations) routinely charge a minimum hourly fee to talk to you, let alone read something and then talk to you...

what can i tell you? most lawyers suck, but then so do lot's of other people...

Bwana
patteau and turnabroad are pretty cool guys too...

we have others on here, but they don't seem to make it as well known that they are lawyers...

I forgot about patteau and guess I must have missed turnabroad, but you have always been alright in my book big chief. :thumb:

jspchief
No it wasn't as a matter of fact. It ended up costing me a little more because my legal insurance didn't pay him as much as he had originally thought.

I think you missed your calling.I realize you don't like what I have to say, but the simple fact is you shouldn't have written a post dated check.

As someone that's dealt with the difficulty of collecting debts, I see the lawyer's side of it. Had it been me, I would have told you to write me a check when you actually had the money, and hoped that I would get paid eventually.

The simple fact is, you thought you could take out a 15 day line of credit with this guy. How often do you buy groceries and ask the store to hold a bad check for 15 days?

MOhillbilly
Oh chit! That was one expensive bottle of whisky.

it was free and only the monitor. Its a mil spec 12 and the patern is crazy tight.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
All you are doing is rationalizing a blatant lie.Maybe so. But if I felt I had to tell that lie to get paid by someone that chose to bail on a bunch of his past debtors, that's a pretty good rationalization in my mind.

go bowe
08-31-2005, 11:13 AM
I forgot about patteau and guess I must have missed turnabroad, but you have always been alright in my book big chief. :thumb:and i just remembered ammo man...

but he doesn't really act like a lawyer, just a bright guy with interesting views...

and thanks for the kinds words...

you're my favorite mountain man... :) :) :)

milkman
08-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Maybe so. But if I felt I had to tell that lie to get paid by someone that chose to bail on a bunch of his past debtors, that's a pretty good rationalization in my mind.

As long as we're clear that lying is OK in your book.

Lzen
08-31-2005, 11:20 AM
What other choice does he have? If he says no to waiting until the 15th, then RG comes back and says "well then, I'll have to pay you later" and the lawyer is left hoping that someone who is so broke he had to claim bankruptcy will honor his next debt more than he's honored past debts.

Oh please, save us all the sob story. Last I checked, lawyers don't live paycheck to paycheck. :rolleyes:

Bwana
08-31-2005, 11:22 AM
What other choice does he have?

How about the choice of keeping his word?

Lzen
08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
How about the choice of keeping his word?
No kidding. Why is this so hard for him?

jspchief
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Oh please, save us all the sob story. Last I checked, lawyers don't live paycheck to paycheck. :rolleyes:Oh, so since they make a good living, it's okay for them to risk getting screwed out of their paycheck?

How many of you people would like your boss to come to you on payday and tell you you'll have to wait another 15 days to get paid? Oh, you don't have to worry about that. But if the customers of the company you worked for all decided to wait 15 days to pay their bill, would you be willing to wait an extra 15 days to get your paycheck? Somehow I doubt it.

As for keeping his word, where does that rank in relation to keeping your word that you will repay your debts?

5 minutes after walking out of the courtroom where he dumped all his debt, R&G is asking for another line of credit. The lawyer should have just flat out said no.

So the question is, what would R&G have done if the lawyer had refused to give him the 15 days?

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Um, we all don't like lying, but jspchief has a point.

All of you who disagree, what would you do if you started a new job, learned that your employer was going through bankruptcy, and they asked you to hold your second paycheck with them for a couple of weeks before cashing it? Even if you did hold it, you'd be sweating bullets.

I like R&G Homer, so this has nothing to do with his situation, but I have to ask: did he and the attorney agree ahead of time to hold the check, or did he just hand the attorney the check and say, "Please don't cash this until the 15th." There's a big difference if the attorney agreed ahead of time, or if he just ended up holding a check that he couldn't cash.

That said, a lot of this comes down to the relationship between the two parties. I had one client a while back that ran into financial problems, and I sat on a big invoice for months waiting to get paid. It was a problem, but I knew that they weren't intending to stiff me. Nonetheless, it was still very worrisome. I've had another client that I wouldn't trust a bit, and I made sure that we dotted every i and crossed every t in the contract, because I didn't have a lot of respect for their personal ethics. What we have in R&G Homer's situation is that the attorney obviously didn't trust that the check would be good on the 15th. That may have nothing to do with R&G Homer, and more to do with the guy getting stiffed in the past. Or I guess he could be a money-grubber who wanted that extra 15 days of interest, but that's a stretch. Or his bookkeeper just put it in the bank because he forgot to mention holding it. There could be tons of reasons.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
I realize you don't like what I have to say, but the simple fact is you shouldn't have written a post dated check.

As someone that's dealt with the difficulty of collecting debts, I see the lawyer's side of it. Had it been me, I would have told you to write me a check when you actually had the money, and hoped that I would get paid eventually.

The simple fact is, you thought you could take out a 15 day line of credit with this guy. How often do you buy groceries and ask the store to hold a bad check for 15 days?

No I don't like what you have to say on the matter. Your assumptions and reasoning's are wrong "IMHO". I paid the prick what we initially agreed to "based on what he thought the legal plan would cover" and then it ended up being more, so I asked him if I could pay the remainder on the 15th and he said FINE, NO PROBLEM.

The only, only thing I agree with is I shouldn't have trusted the dirty son biatch and just paid him on the 15th whether he liked it or not. **** him.

I don't care what you think, or assume about the circumstances leading me to this point, but all I can say is Life can turn on you in an instance. I went from a credit raiting in the mid 700 s to bankruptcy in a matter of months.

And one other thing, This fuggtard not only screwed me FOR NO GOOD REASON on this deal. He screwed me on my rent, bills etc.... I'm trying my best to get everything back on track. Now I'm going to have late payments back on my credit report... AHHH Shit I'm getting so mad I'm starting to shake.

Brock
08-31-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't care what you think, or assume about the circumstances leading me to this point, but all I can say is Life can turn on you in an instance. I went from a credit raiting in the mid 700 s to bankruptcy in a matter of months .

Hey, at least you got the bankruptcy in before the laws changed. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and get on with your life.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Um, we all don't like lying, but jspchief has a point.

All of you who disagree, what would you do if you started a new job, learned that your employer was going through bankruptcy, and they asked you to hold your second paycheck with them for a couple of weeks before cashing it? Even if you did hold it, you'd be sweating bullets.

I like R&G Homer, so this has nothing to do with his situation, but I have to ask: did he and the attorney agree ahead of time to hold the check, or did he just hand the attorney the check and say, "Please don't cash this until the 15th." There's a big difference if the attorney agreed ahead of time, or if he just ended up holding a check that he couldn't cash.

That said, a lot of this comes down to the relationship between the two parties. I had one client a while back that ran into financial problems, and I sat on a big invoice for months waiting to get paid. It was a problem, but I knew that they weren't intending to stiff me. Nonetheless, it was still very worrisome. I've had another client that I wouldn't trust a bit, and I made sure that we dotted every i and crossed every t in the contract, because I didn't have a lot of respect for their personal ethics. What we have in R&G Homer's situation is that the attorney obviously didn't trust that the check would be good on the 15th. That may have nothing to do with R&G Homer, and more to do with the guy getting stiffed in the past. Or I guess he could be a money-grubber who wanted that extra 15 days of interest, but that's a stretch. Or his bookkeeper just put it in the bank because he forgot to mention holding it. There could be tons of reasons.

He called me about a week prior to the court date and told me it was going to be more. At that point, I told him I couldn't afford it on the first of the month because of other bills, but would it be ok if I gave him a post dated check for the 15th at the court hearing and he said no problem.

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey, we feel for you, R&GHomer. Good luck in getting it all turned around. At least it sounds like you're getting through the worst part.

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 11:55 AM
He called me about a week prior to the court date and told me it was going to be more. At that point, I told him I couldn't afford it on the first of the month because of other bills, but would it be ok if I gave him a post dated check for the 15th at the court hearing and he said no problem.

That makes a difference, in my opinion. Thanks for the info.

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Dont ever trust anyone who solicits a post dated check...post dating a check doesnt prevent that person from depositing or cashing it. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

Good Luck.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey, at least you got the bankruptcy in before the laws changed. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and get on with your life.

I'm trying my best. Yes, at least I still had the option. Oh, and did I mention that this is the same lawyer I initially hired to talk to the creditors and try work something out. He came back and told me my best course of action, considering my circumstances was to file chapter 7.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Dont ever trust anyone who solicits a post dated check...post dating a check doesnt prevent that person from depositing or cashing it. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

Good Luck.Actually, the better advice is to not write post dated checks. Or more specifically, don't write checks that you don't have immediate funds to cover.

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Actually, the better advice is to not write post dated checks. Or more specifically, don't write checks that you don't have immediate funds to cover.

Right, well that was my point.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Actually, the better advice is to not write post dated checks. Or more specifically, don't write checks that you don't have immediate funds to cover.

You know what the ****ed up part is. The funds where in the bank, just earmarked for other things like.. Rent, food, etc... You know what I'm guilty of? Being naive and not realizing post dating a check doesn't mean jack shit.

At the time I figured it was a show of good faith on my part, because with my check in hand he didn't have to worry about getting paid, and I would not have to hassel with remembering to get it to him later.

That reminds me, how the hell do you go from claiming bankruptcy too purposely passing bad checks?

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
You know what I'm guilty of? Being naive and not realizing post dating a check doesn't mean jack shit.

Yep, one of those life lessons...when I was first married I got an 'education' in debt collection. Let me just say, also, that 'good faith' dont mean jack either.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 12:18 PM
You know what the ****ed up part is. The funds where in the bank, just earmarked for other things like.. Rent, food, etc... You know what I'm guilty of? Being naive and not realizing post dating a check doesn't mean jack shit.

At the time I figured it was a show of good faith on my part, because with my check in hand he didn't have to worry about getting paid, and I would not have to hassel with remembering to get it to him later.

That reminds me, how the hell do you go from claiming bankruptcy too purposely passing bad checks?I realize in this case that you had the funds. What I was saying about not writing checks you don't have funds to cover was just a general point about post-dated checks, since that is the common reason for post-dating.

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Oh, I had one write an Operating Agreement for one of my companies, then when I called to ask him a question he tells me he'll have to charge me to review the document before he can answer the question. Wants me to pay him 4 hours to figure out what he put in the document he wrote. I paid some other guy 4 hours to figure it out and never gave the first a**hole another cent.

I've seen Operating Agreements that range from about 8 to nearly 60 pages, depending on a number of factors. Regardless, I guarantee you that guy didn't sit there and WRITE EVERY WORD HIMSELF when you gave him that job. If he did, then you would have paid WAAAAY more than necessary. What he probably did was take one he used before and modify it to your needs.

Then you call back whenever it is -- months or years later, and have a specific and possibly complex question. You want him to know the answer off the top of his head? Gimme a break.

mlyonsd
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Denny Crane is the only decent trial lawyer left.

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Oh please, save us all the sob story. Last I checked, lawyers don't live paycheck to paycheck. :rolleyes:

Many lawyers do, in fact.

There's a top tier of lawyers that make killer money. They, however, are not working for poor schmucks, but rather for corporations.

The lawyers that work out in the small towns and cities aren't knocking down incredible money, believe me, for the most part. Sure, they're not making Wal-Mart wages, but median lawyer income is probably alot less than you think.

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah...I just won a class action suit against American Express and finally got my settlement check in the mail. These lawyers earned every penny of whatever it was they received in the settlement, for me, I got my check...for 40 cents.

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah...I just won a class action suit against American Express and finally got my settlement check in the mail. These lawyers earned every penny of whatever it was they received in the settlement, for me, I got my check...for 40 cents.

The faceless, nameless class action lawsuit system is a disaster. The lawyers make millions and the customers who got screwed end up with a voucher, coupon, or a nominal amount of money. It's absurd and needs to be changed.

The change is NOT to eliminate class action law suits or make it impossible to sue companies. Keep in mind that class action lawsuits are an effective method for citizens (through lawyers) to enforce the law themselves if/when government doesn't want to do it. That's not a bad thing in principle, but huge windfalls of money aren't necessarily a great idea.

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 12:27 PM

Okay, I'll agree that class action attorneys in the financial industry should all be put to sleep. I've received several notices that attorneys have fought for my rights when stocks have tanked, and they received several million dollars to win me the right to buy more of the corrupt company's stock at a discounted transaction fee.

That's an area of law and corporate governance that desperately needs to be turned on its ear.

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Amnorix beat me to it.

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 12:33 PM
The faceless, nameless class action lawsuit system is a disaster. The lawyers make millions and the customers who got screwed end up with a voucher, coupon, or a nominal amount of money. It's absurd and needs to be changed.

The change is NOT to eliminate class action law suits or make it impossible to sue companies. Keep in mind that class action lawsuits are an effective method for citizens (through lawyers) to enforce the law themselves if/when government doesn't want to do it. That's not a bad thing in principle, but huge windfalls of money aren't necessarily a great idea.

I agree...I was actually trying to think of a way to give the money back to the company, but realized that it would cost more to make a philisophical point, so I just decided to destroy the check.

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I agree...I was actually trying to think of a way to give the money back to the company, but realized that it would cost more to make a philisophical point, so I just decided to destroy the check.

that, I think, wasn't the right action to take. You didn't hurt the lawyers one bit, you only helped the company they sued. If the company had not done anything wrong, then more than likely they would either not have been sued, or would not have settled the lawsuit. They most likely did, in fact, do something wrong, and it's not a bad thing that they were brought to task for it.

But for the lawyers to get millions while the people who suffered the effects got checks for $0.40 or whatever -- that math doesn't work.

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
that, I think, wasn't the right action to take. You didn't hurt the lawyers one bit, you only helped the company they sued. If the company had not done anything wrong, then more than likely they would either not have been sued, or would not have settled the lawsuit. They most likely did, in fact, do something wrong, and it's not a bad thing that they were brought to task for it.

But for the lawyers to get millions while the people who suffered the effects got checks for $0.40 or whatever -- that math doesn't work.

I wasnt aiming to hurt the lawyers. I realized that even a symbolic gesture to give the money back to the company would have cost them more to process the receipt of 40 cents and figured it wasnt worth it.

While it's possible they did something wrong, I have no idea since the letter I got was basically, 'Hooray, here's your check!', I have no idea. While I did carry an Amex many years ago, I never once had any issue with any charges or fees and I did not feel in need of redress or wronged.

The only wrong, IMO, was those lawyers profiting from my name as a plaintiff.

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 01:31 PM
I wasnt aiming to hurt the lawyers. I realized that even a symbolic gesture to give the money back to the company would have cost them more to process the receipt of 40 cents and figured it wasnt worth it.

While it's possible they did something wrong, I have no idea since the letter I got was basically, 'Hooray, here's your check!', I have no idea. While I did carry an Amex many years ago, I never once had any issue with any charges or fees and I did not feel in need of redress or wronged.

The only wrong, IMO, was those lawyers profiting from my name as a plaintiff.

:shrug: You admit you're wholly ignorant of the background of the lawsuit. You're therefore hardly in a good position to know whether Amex deserved to be sued and pay money to anybody.

KCTitus
08-31-2005, 01:32 PM
:shrug: You admit you're wholly ignorant of the background of the lawsuit. You're therefore hardly in a good position to know whether Amex deserved to be sued and pay money to anybody.

Im sure you're wholly informed...tell me oh mr know it all, what were they sued for. Im sure they deserved it. You know, since the class action system is so noble these days.

*edit* it's funny...did you just realize that you found yourself in agreement with me on class action lawyers and the system and suddenly have to find an issue that you can fight with me on this? Good Lord, I wanted to give the money back because I didnt feel wronged or hurt and feel the class action system is corrupt. Cant you just accept that and move on...sheesh.

Swanman
08-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Many lawyers do, in fact.

There's a top tier of lawyers that make killer money. They, however, are not working for poor schmucks, but rather for corporations.

The lawyers that work out in the small towns and cities aren't knocking down incredible money, believe me, for the most part. Sure, they're not making Wal-Mart wages, but median lawyer income is probably alot less than you think.

I'm not a lawyer, but have had many friends go that route and it does seem to be a "carrot on a stick" profession where you tough it out in hopes of cashing in years down the line. At most firms here in Chicago, starting lawyers make pretty good money, but most of them also have fairly large student loans to pay off, so in essence they're living almost paycheck to paycheck for a couple years getting school debts paid off.

And if you're not lucky enough to hook on with one of the large firms, you may end up doing something shitty like being a public defender to make ends meet. No thanks, I'll stick to the accounting profession.

COchief
08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Instant Karma, just like all those creditors didn't think you were going to take their money. I want to shake your lawyer's hand and give him a pat on the back.

I can't believe you are bitching about anything to do with your $. How about this, I am the one that has to pay your bills for you fag. Unemployed for 6 months, you lazy phuck. Get your ass to work! I don't give a chit about your wife or any other BS surrounding your "situation". You can't pay your bills if your sorry ass isn't bringing home a paycheck. I tell you what, I'll pay your rent for you if I can come down there and kick you square in the nuts for sucking on the teat of people that work their asses off like me. If would be worth it, at least I would actually get something in return for paying off your debts.

If you want to dispute any of the above, you will need to lay out all monthly expenses: credit cards, loans, car payments, everything. What money did you have coming on the 15th? Unemployment check? Tell me how many applications have you filled out in the last six months? How much money did you have saved when you had your "700" credit score. I bet you were in way over your head before your ass got canned.

Please justify for us all. I guarantee many members are thinking the same thing I am, I just happen to have the balls to call you out on it.

The forum is yours:

Amnorix
08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but have had many friends go that route and it does seem to be a "carrot on a stick" profession where you tough it out in hopes of cashing in years down the line. At most firms here in Chicago, starting lawyers make pretty good money, but most of them also have fairly large student loans to pay off, so in essence they're living almost paycheck to paycheck for a couple years getting school debts paid off.

And if you're not lucky enough to hook on with one of the large firms, you may end up doing something shitty like being a public defender to make ends meet. No thanks, I'll stick to the accounting profession.

Right. People who go to average (or worse) law schools, finish in the bottom half of the class, and have 4 years of undergrad + 3 years of law school loans are really, really f**ked, on average. It's going to take them years to dig out from $100K+ of student loans, on a salary that probably won't even be six figures for many, many years, if ever.

SoCalBronco
08-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Lawyers rule!

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Lawyers rule!

Well, they are a disproportionate amount of the Senate and House.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Instant Karma, just like all those creditors didn't think you were going to take their money. I want to shake your lawyer's hand and give him a pat on the back.

I can't believe you are bitching about anything to do with your $. How about this, I am the one that has to pay your bills for you Rump Ranger. Unemployed for 6 months, you lazy phuck. Get your ass to work! I don't give a chit about your wife or any other BS surrounding your "situation". You can't pay your bills if your sorry ass isn't bringing home a paycheck. I tell you what, I'll pay your rent for you if I can come down there and kick you square in the nuts for sucking on the teat of people that work their asses off like me. If would be worth it, at least I would actually get something in return for paying off your debts.

If you want to dispute any of the above, you will need to lay out all monthly expenses: credit cards, loans, car payments, everything. What money did you have coming on the 15th? Unemployment check? Tell me how many applications have you filled out in the last six months? How much money did you have saved when you had your "700" credit score. I bet you were in way over your head before your ass got canned.

Please justify for us all. I guarantee many members are thinking the same thing I am, I just happen to have the balls to call you out on it.

The forum is yours:

WTF jack off, you don't know me. Prove something to you? Who the hell do you think you are jack azz? I sure hope you get that chance to kick my ass some day... I really do.

Fuggtard.

COchief
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Who do you think is going to end up paying your bills? People that WORK and pay taxes. That is why I want to know why I am paying your bills.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Who do you think is going to end up paying your bills? People that WORK and pay taxes. That is why I want to know why I am paying your bills.

**** you piss ant. I served my country for six years and a War defending pricks like you. Went 12 + years in the IT world through countless downsizing before I finally got laid off. You talk about Karma.... coming right back at ya a-hole.

COchief
08-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Free History Lesson: You haven't defended anyone in the US, unless it was WWII or Afghanistan.

Please answer some questions in my original post, I am paying your bills after all.

Bwana
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Free History Lesson: You haven't defended anyone in the US, unless it was WWII or Afghanistan.

Please answer some questions in my original post, I am paying your bills after all.

What the hell? Who pissed in your Cornflakes today? :spock:

COchief
08-31-2005, 04:28 PM
No one, I believe in personal responsibility, and owning up to your mistakes. Neither of which has anything to do with bankruptcy.

Bwana
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
No one, I believe in personal responsibility, and owning up to your mistakes. Neither of which has anything to do with bankruptcy.M-Kay, so you are saying that there is never a legitimate excuse to file a BK?

COchief
08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
There is, which is why I was asking. Obviously in this case it is not legitimate, otherwise I am sure R&G would have laid it out already.

Boozer
08-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Is COchief one of Kotter's aliases?

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 04:45 PM
There is, which is why I was asking. Obviously in this case it is not legitimate, otherwise I am sure R&G would have laid it out already.

First off, I don't owe you shit for an explanation. Now I'm back to my original question... WTF do you think you are? I'll answer a few of your questions, read the thread dick head.

Bwana
08-31-2005, 04:50 PM
WTF do you think you are?

He is evidently the BK Nazi. :shrug:

jettio
08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
patteau and turnabroad are pretty cool guys too...

I sure did not know that patteau was a lawyer, I must have been so busy braggin' that I did not notice.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
He is evidently the BK Nazi. :shrug:

Thing is, I hated having to claim bankruptcy. I even hired the lawyer in question to work some kind of payment arrangement so I didn't have to. If it wasn't for the auto loan threatening to garnish my wages to the tune of $800 dollars a month I wouldn't have. The bastards literally wanted the entire balance right then and their. They told me, "Mr. ** we understand that you had been unemployed and are now working, but we can no longer accept partial payments. You can keep making them, but we are still going ahead with the law suit. I had made every single payment on time up to the point I got laid off for over three years. I even made a 150 dollar payment a month after I gave them back the van that they sold for 9k under what I still owed. They got their money back they just wanted the interest.

Ohh and for the fuggtard. Try going from 65k a year to 350 a week.

jettio
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
and i just remembered ammo man...

but he doesn't really act like a lawyer, just a bright guy with interesting views...

and thanks for the kinds words...

you're my favorite mountain man... :) :) :)

Oh, Bullchit, I was wondering how patteau could transform from a bright dude into a B*sh apologist.

I thought it was PTSD from 9/11, but now it is clear that he has been paid and is a hired gun. :bang:

That's a lawyer for ya'. :cuss:

jettio
08-31-2005, 05:22 PM

How exactly is it that you are paying anybody else's bills?

Bwana
08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
How exactly is it that you are paying anybody else's bills?

Easy Jet, you are going to mess with his master plan.

Brock
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM

Dude, quit acting like a douche. Sometimes people lose their jobs, they go through divorces, and their creditors aren't interested in hearing about it, and the last goddam resort is bankruptcy. Not everybody has your perfect life.

jettio
08-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Easy Jet, you are going to mess with his master plan.

If it is his personal responsibility to pay R&G's bills, I think it is evident that he needs another part-time job.

Wotta Slacker.

JOhn
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Or maybe he doesn't feel he needs to justify it to you?

Just a thought........

COchief
08-31-2005, 06:49 PM
I pay the bills because the debt is written off as a loss to the creditor's bottom line. Which means they pay less taxes. Plus I get the added bonus of paying all of the court personell to process the bankruptcy.

If you were making 65K a year, WTF were you doing with a car payment? I made much less then that years ago and haven't had a car payment in over 7 years. Not to mention, being that upside down on your loan that you still owed 9K after the vehicle was sold. I happen to live within my means, actually well below my means. I have been in the black since I was 22. As far as going from 65K to 350 a week I would be fine for YEARS because I have this crazy thing called a "savings account".

Don't worry though, you will have plenty of comrades in the upcoming years. When the housing bubble explodes and all the morons with interest only arms and overfinanced cars tied into their homes will be joining your club. If anyone feels like calling BS on that, take a good look at San Diego right now. It is starting already.

Oh and JOhn, this is a thread about fiscal responsibility, so let me just go ahead and invalidate your opinion ***cigarettes***

Brock
08-31-2005, 07:21 PM
If you were making 65K a year, WTF were you doing with a car payment? I made much less then that years ago and haven't had a car payment in over 7 years. Not to mention, being that upside down on your loan that you still owed 9K after the vehicle was sold. I happen to live within my means, actually well below my means. I have been in the black since I was 22. As far as going from 65K to 350 a week I would be fine for YEARS because I have this crazy thing called a "savings account".

You're awesome. Tell us more about awesome you.

Boozer
08-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Is COchief one of Kotter's aliases?

Actually, that was way out of line. Sorry, Rob...this isn't anywhere close to your style.

JOhn
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
COchief
You need to keep up on your posts more. :rolleyes:

Sorry we are not all as "Perfect" as you, but I'll try.

Fug off ass wipe

ENDelt260
08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm most amused that the suggestion that this could've been a clerical error was just outright ignored. Twice.

It's not at all possible that he may have inadvertently forgotten to mention the arrangement to his secretary. Or, that he did explain to her, and in a boneheaded move she included it with the day's deposits anyway. Nope. He's a lawyer, so he's a liar and a cheat.

Y'know, just like everyone who spends six months collecting unemployment is a lazy piece of shit.

ChiTown
08-31-2005, 07:49 PM
ROFL

I've had a ball reading the boards today. Between this thread and Roy D. Mercers taunting, I've been thoroughly entertained.

keg in kc
08-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Never trust anyone...ever.

Lawyer or not.

ENDelt260
08-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I can be trusted. *wink wink*

ChiTown
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM
I can be trusted. *wink wink*

Please close your rain coat......

COchief
08-31-2005, 08:05 PM
JOhnny, I thought you might enjoy that one :toast:

For all you that want to know more about me and or be like me, I have formulated a simple plan, no charge to use

1. Go to work
2. Take paycheck
3. Don't spend entire paycheck
4. Wash, rinse, repeat

Thanks for all the support guys, it really meant alot to me. :grouphug:

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 08:25 PM
I pay the bills because the debt is written off as a loss to the creditor's bottom line. Which means they pay less taxes. Plus I get the added bonus of paying all of the court personell to process the bankruptcy.

Don't worry though, you will have plenty of comrades in the upcoming years. When the housing bubble explodes and all the morons with interest only arms and overfinanced cars tied into their homes will be joining your club. If anyone feels like calling BS on that, take a good look at San Diego right now. It is starting already.

Oh and JOhn, this is a thread about fiscal responsibility, so let me just go ahead and invalidate your opinion ***cigarettes***

:hmmm: Let me think of a snappy retort. Naah, to many variables. Lets just say you're acting like a pompous moron.

Life as you know it can change in the blink of an eye. You can hire the best financial advisers to help plan out your childrens college education and your retirement, but some things are completely out of your control. Like your job gets outsourced, maybe you have your monthly income cut by 2/3 and then again by 1/3. I'm glad you live in the perfect world of the 1%. I lived in a pretty damn good one myself, but shit happens and you play the cards you're delt.

Frazod
08-31-2005, 08:30 PM

Good God. I thought my general contempt for my fellow man was bad, but you make me look like Mother Teresa.

Sold any orphans into slavery lately?

JOhn
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
JOhnny, I thought you might enjoy that one :toast:

For all you that want to know more about me and or be like me, I have formulated a simple plan, no charge to use

1. Go to work
2. Take paycheck
3. Don't spend entire paycheck
4. Wash, rinse, repeat

Thanks for all the support guys, it really meant alot to me. :grouphug:
Who the F are you, and what makes you think you know ANYTHING about what I do asswipe?

Not that it's any of your f'ing biz, but I do have TWO jobs and go to school. So take your condesending bullsh!t somewere else azzhole.

COchief
08-31-2005, 08:35 PM
I guess if Frazod just told me I was mean, I really need to scale it back.
Fraz what if he was a bronco fan? Would it then be justified?

JOhnny I gave ya the group hug bud, what more do you want?

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 08:37 PM
I guess if Frazod just told me I was mean, I really need to scale it back.
Fraz what if he was a bronco fan? Would it then be justified?

Did I mention I really, really, really hope you get the chance to kick my ass. I will even help facilitate said event.

COchief
08-31-2005, 08:40 PM
R&G, take some of that spare time for a reading & comprehension course. I said since I pay your bills anyways you should let me come kick you in the boaws. Internet threats are retarded, plus I hit the gym every lunch during work. I wouldn't want to take advantage of someone who is a little doughy from laying around on the couch all year.

If I take you up on the offer, do I have to buy the bus ticket to Colorado? I mean, since your kick ass van is gone and all.

JOhn
08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
JOhnny I gave ya the group hug bud, what more do you want?
not a damn thing from a jerk like you. Who apparantly can't read to well either, so here it is again, because I know it's hard to read what us low lifes write from that high ivory tower you live in.

take your condesending bullsh!t somewere else azzhole.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Heh. And I was worried about coming off as too much of a dick earlier...

COchief
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
JOhn don't take it so seriously, man I'll buy you a beer next time your in town...and a pack of smokes

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM

You did :) But this guy takes A-hole too unprecedented heights.

JOhn
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
JOhn don't take it so seriously, man I'll buy you a beer next time your in town...and a pack of smokes
No thanks, and if and when I decided take those habit's back up it sure wouldn't be with an pompous azz like yourself.

COchief
08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Actually guys I am just messin around with ya, I'll come clean...I filed BK 2 years ago and am just now starting to recover. R&G you have a long road to recovery ahead of you, I have been there. But stay strong and you will emerge a better person for it.

NOT!!!

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 08:58 PM
R&G, take some of that spare time for a reading & comprehension course. I said since I pay your bills anyways you should let me come kick you in the boaws. Internet threats are retarded, plus I hit the gym every lunch during work. I wouldn't want to take advantage of someone who is a little doughy from laying around on the couch all year.

If I take you up on the offer, do I have to buy the bus ticket to Colorado? I mean, since your kick ass van is gone and all.

You work out every day at lunch? :shrug: behind the fry cooker at MD 's Why do I picture you as some smug little prick that everyone picks on.

Sitting all alone in the dark behind his keyboard. No girl friend, no friends and angry at the world. The only way to make yourself feel better is to perpetrate the fraud.

Act like your better than everyone else, pretend like nothing can touch you and your life can never be altered.

Wake up prick! Your one misfortune from misfortune.

Frazod
08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Actually guys I am just messin around with ya, I'll come clean...I filed BK 2 years ago and am just now starting to recover. R&G you have a long road to recovery ahead of you, I have been there. But stay strong and you will emerge a better person for it.

NOT!!!

Real nice.

You may well be the most monstrous prick that's ever posted here. That's really saying something, too. I assume you root for the Chiefs only because you live in Denver and enjoy pissing people off. If you moved to Ireland, you'd probably join the Church of England.

Anyway, whatever you're selling, I don't want any. Welcome to my ignore list - life's too short to waste my free time dealing with assholes like you. Goodbye, and I hope karma bends you over early and often.

Bowser
08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
What the hell?

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Fraz, can I get a ride in that sweet v-6 automatic mustang before you go?

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Man wtf is going on here. Such hatred and contempt....

I must get in the middle of this.

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the party J Diddy, pick a side any side.

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:18 PM

I don't think I make enough money to be on your side.

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:22 PM
It's not about how much you make Diddy, it's about how much you spend

Garcia Bronco
08-31-2005, 09:23 PM
The real question is why did the teller at the bank all it to be deposited. They're supposed to check that shit.

stevieray
08-31-2005, 09:24 PM

As a good friend once told me, money is a means to an end.

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:25 PM

more than what I make I suppose.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 09:27 PM
The real question is why did the teller at the bank all it to be deposited. They're supposed to check that shit.Actually, I don't think the date on the check has any bearing on whether it can be presented for payment or deposited.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 09:27 PM

No party here. You should feel honored. You have just become the first member of a very exclusive club. Bye, hope you don't reap what you sow.

Umm :rolleyes: how do you put someone on ignore :rolleyes: I don't think I've done it before.

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
As a good friend once told me, money is a means to an end.

Yep, that's about it. As long as my lights are on, my cables on, child supports paid, car payments paid I'm good.

Everything else is fluff.

(Seeing as I'm recently single don't be spreading that around the net or I'll never get a date:))

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:29 PM
No party here. You should feel honored. You have just become the first member of a very exclusive club. Bye, hope you don't reap what you sow.

Umm :rolleyes: how do you put someone on ignore :rolleyes: I don't think I've done it before.

It's alot more fun to beat them into submission.

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Seriously it was just a joke, I was just trolling a little bit. Although I am honestly against BK pretty strongly.
Remember it's only a message board.

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:33 PM
As far as legality of cashing a post-dated check, I believe either the depositor or the bank should catch it...I know there is no recourse for it.

If you get hit with overdrafts from your bank, I am sure you can use it to get them removed.

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Seriously it was just a joke, I was just trolling a little bit. Although I am honestly against BK pretty strongly.
Remember it's only a message board.

Yes it is. I do feel that the point here is sometimes "BK" has to be done. Have you ever tried to negotiate with a bill collecter, it's like trying to convince hitler that jews are cool.

It's alright to be against it, but you shouldn't belittle someone because of it. Especially someone who's obviously struggling with stuff right now.

Remember, when you belittle it just makes you "be little"

:)

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:42 PM
I do understand negotiating with a bill collector is tough, I do despise the "keeping up with the jones" mentality which I think drives many people into a similiar situation. People in today's society make all kinds of purchases which they can't afford, sure they can handle the payments but they are counting on things in the future...which no one should. I mean something like 45% of the mortgages written in San Fran last year were interest only ARMs. That is just insanity.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 09:44 PM
Yes it is. I do feel that the point here is sometimes "BK" has to be done. Have you ever tried to negotiate with a bill collecter, it's like trying to convince hitler that jews are cool.

It's alright to be against it, but you shouldn't belittle someone because of it. Especially someone who's obviously struggling with stuff right now.

Remember, when you belittle it just makes you "be little"

:) Good analogy, I hope you don't mind if I use it in the future.

COchief
08-31-2005, 09:47 PM
R&G it sounds like you are pretty close to having everything dismissed, it not you may want to check out Consumer Credit Counseling Services CCCS, they can help out a lot with dealing with your creditors. Especially if it is only a temporary situation that you will be able to dig out of.

stumppy
08-31-2005, 09:54 PM
R&G it sounds like you are pretty close to having everything dismissed, it not you may want to check out Consumer Credit Counseling Services CCCS, they can help out a lot with dealing with your creditors. Especially if it is only a temporary situation that you will be able to dig out of.

Is that you Sybil ?

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Is that you Sybil ?

Yes I am.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 09:57 PM

I really have no idea why I'm telling you this, but I contacted CCC to begin with. They had no trouble working things out with everyone accept the auto finance company. That's when I hired the lawyer to try and make payment arrangements. He came back and said they wouldn't negotiate and suggested I file bankruptcy. Of course; you would know this if you weren't so compelled to try and belittle me. Like I said, I hope you don't reap what you sow.

stumppy
08-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Yes I am.

ROFL

Actually I just wanted to post something so everyone gets a chance to see my new sig line.:)

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey, it was probably more entertaining then fantasizing about Cory Simon or discussing Trent's mystery leg injury until you are blue in the face.

Alas, I do know quite a bit about credit and know that BK does take alot of time & effort to work out of. I know you mentioned earlier that they were going to garnish 800 a check, legally they can only take (I think) a third of your gross. I would highly recommend anything to avoid BK, and if your are grossing 2400 a check I would think you could handle 800 per check to try and avoid having to file.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about anything. In all seriousness, I think might you may be able to avoid it, if it's just the auto finance place. Or you could just move to Florida or Texas, they don't allow garnishments.

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:09 PM
I really have no idea why I'm telling you this, but I contacted CCC to begin with. They had no trouble working things out with everyone accept the auto finance company. That's when I hired the lawyer to try and make payment arrangements. He came back and said they wouldn't negotiate and suggested I file bankruptcy. Of course; you would know this if you weren't so compelled to try and belittle me. Like I said, I hope you don't reap what you sow.

Damn you know something's messed up when the consumer credit counseling folk tell you to file bankruptcy.

BTW, aren't there some new laws to bankruptcy that makes it difficult?

FWIW, sometimes shit happens, lifes too short to be way stressed, especially when the people who's stressing you have about a gazillion bucks in the bank and don't want to work with you.

Although, I have never filed bankruptcy I understand the situation. My brother got a cell phone in my name a couple of years ago, he wound up getting thrown into jail and I got stuck with the bill. I called the cell phone company and they made it sound like everything was handled. Somehow it got reverted back to me, I called them and they said it was referred to collection. I called the collection agency asshole and was introduced to the most spiteful, ignorant, ****monkey known to man. Nothing whatsoever constructive to say and in fact insulted me. I told him and I swear by it, if they try to collect on that I will file bankruptcy rather than pay them money I don't owe them. Yes that's bullheaded, stubborn and probably ignorant as well. But **** em.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey, it was probably more entertaining then fantasizing about Cory Simon or discussing Trent's mystery leg injury until you are blue in the face.

Alas, I do know quite a bit about credit and know that BK does take alot of time & effort to work out of. I know you mentioned earlier that they were going to garnish 800 a check, legally they can only take (I think) a third of your gross. I would highly recommend anything to avoid BK, and if your are grossing 2400 a check I would think you could handle 800 per check to try and avoid having to file.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about anything. In all seriousness, I think might you may be able to avoid it, if it's just the auto finance place. Or you could just move to Florida or Texas, they don't allow garnishments.

Your assuming, like all good ass holes, that my current job pays close to what I was making before. After several months of unemployment you take the best you can get to support your family. You really have no clue do ya?

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:10 PM
ROFL

Actually I just wanted to post something so everyone gets a chance to see my new sig line.:)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have sigs turned off.

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Jeez, what is your problem?
I try to help you out and you call me an asshole. I just based your income on what you said the garnishment would be, I know the limit is 1/3rd, you said 800 so I figured 8X3.

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:15 PM
I try to help you out and you call me an asshole. I just based your income on what you said the garnishment would be, I know the limit is 1/3rd, you said 800 so I figured 8X3.

Man you just can't flip a switch and all will be better.

Jesus, I'm starting to sound like frigging oprah.

Coach
08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Heh.

Good to see ya J Diddy. Things going all right?

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Heh.

Good to see ya J Diddy. Things going all right?

Doing great. Apartment's kinda quiet but hey, it's mine right?

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Just trying to offer sound advice, me flaming a little bit is nothing compared to seven years of deposits/higher rates on cable, cell phone, utilities, car loans, credit cards, car insurance and everything else under the sun.

chief99
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Americas system of lawyers and lawsuits is ****ed.

It's out of control. And trolling for lawsuit ads in the yellowpages should be ILLEGAL.

The person who brings a case should be forced to cover court costs. It's painless to them right now.

The tabaco lawsuits who made the greedy lawyers rich should be BANNED. Anyways those people didn't get the all the money. The lawyers did. Or should i say the owner of the Baltimore Orioles.

Coach
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Doing great. Apartment's kinda quiet but hey, it's mine right?

Well, I always like peace and quiet, always have, except if I am at Arrowhead :D

But then, there is a option of getting a girl over and make a ruckus. :p

go bowe
08-31-2005, 10:27 PM
COchief
You need to keep up on your posts more. :rolleyes:

Sorry we are not all as "Perfect" as you, but I'll try.

Fug off ass wipehey! :cuss:

what'choo got against ass wipes, anyway? :shrug:

that there is insulting to ass wipes everywhere... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

go bowe
08-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm most amused that the suggestion that this could've been a clerical error was just outright ignored. Twice.

It's not at all possible that he may have inadvertently forgotten to mention the arrangement to his secretary. Or, that he did explain to her, and in a boneheaded move she included it with the day's deposits anyway. Nope. He's a lawyer, so he's a liar and a cheat.

Y'know, just like everyone who spends six months collecting unemployment is a lazy piece of shit.six months!!

why, those lazy bums who collect six days of umemployment are worthless pos's... :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

oh wait, my son is on unemployment... :eek: :eek: :eek:

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, I always like peace and quiet, always have, except if I am at Arrowhead :D

But then, there is a option of getting a girl over and make a ruckus. :p

Didn't you read the gas prices thread?

I imagine it'll probably raise the rates on prostitutes here.

So the choice was simple it was either download unlimited porn free from the internet or have some fun twice a month.

I guess you know which once I chose.

R&GHomer
08-31-2005, 10:33 PM

I seriously doubt your sincerity. That said, I didn't enter into this blindly and I sincerely hope I've made the correct decision for my family. If your words lead too some great epiphany... Thanks.

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
This thread needs lightening up:

Coach
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Didn't you read the gas prices thread?

I imagine it'll probably raise the rates on prostitutes here.

So the choice was simple it was either download unlimited porn free from the internet or have some fun twice a month.

I guess you know which once I chose.

ROFL

No, I must had missed the gas thread, since I last checked.

Well, I wasn't referring to as prostitues. Someone say, like an ENDelt's type, one night, and you're outta here. :p

Besides, they can drive, considering you're offering the place. :) :p

go bowe
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Did I mention I really, really, really hope you get the chance to kick my ass. I will even help facilitate said event.just be sure to sell tickets first... :p :p :p

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Not directed at anyone, honestly

Rausch
08-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have sigs turned off.

So you didn't even notice when the mods changed yours?

go bowe
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Heh. And I was worried about coming off as too much of a dick earlier...jeez, compared to this guy, you're a charmer...

J Diddy
So you didn't even notice when the mods changed yours?

Nope, thought it turned off.

COchief

Rausch
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM

That might be the most ****ed up looking thing I've seen since Mike90210's avatar...

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:41 PM
ROFL

No, I must had missed the gas thread, since I last checked.

Well, I wasn't referring to as prostitues. Someone say, like an ENDelt's type, one night, and you're outta here. :p

Besides, they can drive, considering you're offering the place. :) :p

Last time I brought a chick home it took me 2 hours of convincing her that it wasn't my place, a fake phone number, and zigzagging her on the ride home to get rid of her.

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:41 PM

go bowe
08-31-2005, 10:44 PM
not a damn thing from a jerk like you. Who apparantly can't read to well either, so here it is again, because I know it's hard to read what us low lifes write from that high ivory tower you live in.

take your condesending bullsh!t somewere else azzhole.you know we used to make fun of your typing, accusing you of using hoofs (or is it hooves?)?

well, your hoofs got pretty good at typing and spelling and everything...

but then you go and spell asshole wrong...

it's ok, you're allowed to say asshole to an asshole...

you don't even need to declare bankruptcy to do it...

just say "asshole"...

you'll feel better, too... :D :D :D

Coach
Last time I brought a chick home it took me 2 hours of convincing her that it wasn't my place, a fake phone number, and zigzagging her on the ride home to get rid of her.

Heh, whatever works for ya buddy. :p

COchief

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Heh, whatever works for ya buddy. :p

Hey for $3 a gallon I'll be zigging but I'll probably leave the zagging at home.

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:47 PM

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM

J Diddy
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM

Really dude that's kind of annoying.

Like my daughter telling me she hates me and then slams the door to her room.

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:52 PM
Really dude that's kind of annoying.

Like my daughter telling me she hates me and then slams the door to her room.

COchief
08-31-2005, 10:58 PM

COchief
08-31-2005, 11:01 PM

COchief
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM

Mosbonian
09-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Alas, I do know quite a bit about credit and know that BK does take alot of time & effort to work out of.

You do???? Really???? This statement below shows you don't....

NO.....you don't......

No.....they don't.....

Once again....no you don't....

Been in the real business world long?

mmaddog

Mosbonian
09-01-2005, 02:38 AM
I really have no idea why I'm telling you this, but I contacted CCC to begin with. They had no trouble working things out with everyone accept the auto finance company. That's when I hired the lawyer to try and make payment arrangements. He came back and said they wouldn't negotiate and suggested I file bankruptcy.

CCC was a good idea at one time....but has lost it's effectiveness.

My only comment on the above.....I doubt very seriously that your attorney put much effort in to trying to work with the auto finance company....it would pay him no money to do so.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
09-01-2005, 02:47 AM
BTW, aren't there some new laws to bankruptcy that makes it difficult?

They don't take effect until October...mid month I believe. And no it doesn't make it harder to file Bankruptcy, just more difficult to get rid of unsecured debt......but quite frankly there is more to the new bankruptcy bill than just that.

There is more teeth behind the law to allow utilities to require upfront deposits for those in Bankrutpcy....and this one could hurt. Let me give you an example:

Let's take the Kmart bankruptcy filing.....under the old law, they weren't obliged to have to put up a security deposit for the local utilities for the new Debtor-in-Possession company. Now, with the new laws, they could be required to...think about that.....having to put up a security deposit for every location of a Kmart in the US.....it would be practically impossible for the hew entity to survive....that much of a cash outlay.

The new law is going to be interesting to watch.....I bet there will be a whole last minute rush to the Courthouse to file before the new law takes effect...

mmaddog

Mosbonian
09-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Just trying to offer sound advice, me flaming a little bit is nothing compared to seven years of deposits/higher rates on cable, cell phone, utilities, car loans, credit cards, car insurance and everything else under the sun.

Wanna bet on that time frame?

It used to be that way...but most finance companies don't care about anything over 4 years old....unless of course they are looking for a reason to turn you down.

mmaddog

trndobrd
09-01-2005, 03:11 AM
CCC was a good idea at one time....but has lost it's effectiveness.

My only comment on the above.....I doubt very seriously that your attorney put much effort in to trying to work with the auto finance company....it would pay him no money to do so.

mmaddog

Except, of course, his fee from the client. Yes, most attorneys attempt to work in the best interests of their clients. Not that anyone would ever believe that.

Auto finance companies are notoriously difficult to work with. Because unlike credit card companies, auto finance companies deal in secured debt. Most auto credit contracts are set up to pay interest first, creating a system where they can sometimes make more money if the consumer defaults and they reposess the vehicle.

Lzen
09-01-2005, 08:52 AM

You did but we're used to it from you. :p

Mosbonian
09-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Except, of course, his fee from the client. Yes, most attorneys attempt to work in the best interests of their clients. Not that anyone would ever believe that..

Most attorney's work for the best interest of their clients, as long as it is in the attorney's best interest too....

Auto finance companies are notoriously difficult to work with. Because unlike credit card companies, auto finance companies deal in secured debt. Most auto credit contracts are set up to pay interest first, creating a system where they can sometimes make more money if the consumer defaults and they reposess the vehicle.

Funny...I have several friends who work in the auto finance industry and they aren't at all like you describe. I do know that there are those who are nothing but sharks...

mmaddog