PDA

View Full Version : Will Halliburton Rebuild New Orleans?

nychief
09-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Curious...

the Talking Can
09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
with the money they stole in Iraq, they can certainly afford to...

CHIEF4EVER
09-01-2005, 06:17 PM
with the money they stole in Iraq, they can certainly afford to...

You can't steal what was given to you. Get your spin right.

nychief
09-01-2005, 06:34 PM
You can't steal what was given to you. Get your spin right.

not sure if "spin" is the right word, although since the advent of foxnews, it seems to be in vouge.

WilliamTheIrish
09-01-2005, 06:47 PM
not sure if "spin" is the right word, although since the advent of foxnews, it seems to be in vouge.

Vouge?

nychief
09-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Vouge?

ha ha color me dumb. ahem, en vogue. ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
09-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Why does Halliburton owe New Orleans anything?

Count Alex's Losses
09-01-2005, 06:56 PM
I don't really think rebuilding Nawlins is a viable option. Write it off.

nychief
09-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Why does Halliburton owe New Orleans anything?

I was going to respond to this, but.... sigh.... nevermind.

Count Alex's Losses
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM

C'mon, you have nothing to fear. I didn't even vote! :)

mikey23545
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM
They would be the best possible choice for the job, but maybe they are stretched too thin already...

Nobody does work like this better than Halliburton, that's why so many administrations, including Clinton's, kept them under contract.

Logical
09-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Curious...For enormous profits sure.

For the good of the country at no profit.ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Logical
09-01-2005, 07:57 PM

Normally I would be with you, but I don't think he meant that the people who have suffered tremendous loss should be written off. Just that the City itself should not be rebuilt. I think there is merit to that argument and will now start a poll based upon it.

nychief
09-01-2005, 08:02 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/images/0825-02.jpg

"With New Orleans under my control.... I will rule the south. BWhahahhhhhhhhhh!"

Logical
09-01-2005, 08:02 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/images/0825-02.jpg

"With New Orleans under my control.... I will rule the south. BWhahahhhhhhhhhh!"

It is so wrong but I laughed out loud.

gblowfish
09-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Halliburton will say: "We'll fix it, but we get to keep it." They'll wipe it clean, and build a huge gated community called "New Halliburton." Golf courses, deep sea fishing, high class titty bars and Assembly of God churches. All residents will be retired oil execs and retired politicians, insurance agents and military officers. No minorities, except for the hired help.

I'm kidding.
Sort of.

Bowser
09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
ROFL

Of COURSE they'll get the contract!

They might get it if it's even bid on!

Iowanian
09-01-2005, 08:43 PM
What an excellent time and Subject to show that you are a Partisan DOUCHEBAG.

gblowfish
09-01-2005, 08:58 PM
What an excellent time and Subject to show that you are a Partisan DOUCHEBAG.There's about 10,000 women in New Orleans who would give much thanks for a douchebag right about now, regardless of whether it was supplied by a donkey or an elephant.

If you mean "excellent" as a compliment, thanks, I guess. I'm not partisan. I'm American. Even the neocons on Fox are critical of the government for the slow relief response. Opposing the award of no-bid government contracts doesn't make someone a traitor. Resorting to name calling just underscores a lack of skill building a case for your viewpoint. Make a persuasive and intelligent argument, and maybe others will understand and (gasp) respect your opinion. But I doubt it.

nychief
09-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Where is the President?

mlyonsd
09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
This is a stupid ****ing thread.

It doens't matter which side of the aisle you're on if you don't believe the government is responding as fast as they can then you're a stupid mother ****ing pile of shit.

Leave.

nychief
09-01-2005, 09:18 PM

It doens't matter which side of the aisle you're on if you don't believe the government is responding as fast as they can then you're a stupid mother ****ing pile of shit.

Leave.

well said. You have now officially done more than the president to ease my fears.

Logical
09-01-2005, 09:21 PM

Leave.Normally I like you and your opinions. Not this time.

Why should I leave, do I believe they are working extremly hard, yes. But unless we pull out of Iraq and divert all that money to the rebuilding of the US southland then everything possible is not being done.

the Talking Can
09-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Leave.

Interesting...I've been watching Joe "Republican" Scarborough interview Reuplicans about how bad Bush dropped the ball. They all agree his, and the government's, response this week has been incompetant.

You should email them and tell them that it's not nice to talk about what's really happening.

Iowanian
09-01-2005, 09:35 PM
There's about 10,000 women in New Orleans who would give much thanks for a douchebag right about now, regardless of whether it was supplied by a donkey or an elephant.

If you mean "excellent" as a compliment, thanks, I guess. I'm not partisan. I'm American. Even the neocons on Fox are critical of the government for the slow relief response. Opposing the award of no-bid government contracts doesn't make someone a traitor. Resorting to name calling just underscores a lack of skill building a case for your viewpoint. Make a persuasive and intelligent argument, and maybe others will understand and (gasp) respect your opinion. But I doubt it.

Everything isn't necessarily about, or directed to you, you fuggin Martyr.

Every Hour Bush isn't in New Orleans, bucketing water back over the levee.....a kitty dies.

mlyonsd
09-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Normally I like you and your opinions. Not this time.

Why should I leave, do I believe they are working extremly hard, yes. But unless we pull out of Iraq and divert all that money to the rebuilding of the US southland then everything possible is not being done.

Most of the time I respect your opinions too.

But as an initial supporter of the war the blood is on your hands as well. We must stay the course there. To give up now is not only wrong for the people of Iraq, it will have consequences maybe twice the size of Katrina for the US.

My point is the government is doing the best it can under the circumstances. This disaster is much larger then 911 and to blame any President for the results is incredibly ignorant.

Maybe the finger should be pointed at the officials of NO for not recognizing the possibility of this disaster. Huh, do you think?

This disaster goes way farther then just money. But if taxes have to be raised to help those Amercans down there then count me in.

I view this disaster the same as Pearl Harbor and 911. To involve politics is bullshit IMO.

mlyonsd
09-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Interesting...I've been watching Joe "Republican" Scarborough interview Reuplicans about how bad Bush dropped the ball. They all agree his, and the government's, response this week has been incompetant.

You should email them and tell them that it's not nice to talk about what's really happening.

I see. Rather then driving down there yourself to volunteer you've decided the best way to help out is to sit your fat ass in a chair and point fingers.

The founding fathers would be proud.

Logical
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM

But as an initial supporter of the war the blood is on your hands as well. We must stay the course there. To give up now is not only wrong for the people of Iraq, it will have consequences maybe twice the size of Katrina for the US.

My point is the government is doing the best it can under the circumstances. This disaster is much larger then 911 and to blame any President for the results is incredibly ignorant.

Maybe the finger should be pointed at the officials of NO for not recognizing the possibility of this disaster. Huh, do you think?

This disaster goes way farther then just money. But if taxes have to be raised to help those Amercans down there then count me in.

I view this disaster the same as Pearl Harbor and 911. To involve politics is bullshit IMO.

I am just saying if we are diverting not just money but human resources (to the tune of 150,000+) to Iraq then we are not doing all we can as a government. Frankly Iraq has been freed of Saddam. Let Iraq become what they want to become it is not our job to build nations. We are not doing a good job anyway (actually we are doing a horrible job being as we are using Al Sadr to make things work) so divert those resources home and really get to work on the problem.

nychief
09-01-2005, 09:48 PM
The founding fathers would be proud.

what in the **** do the founding fathers have to do with charity or good will? When did they go running to the aid of a ****ing person, other than themselves. **** o dear.

Logical
09-01-2005, 09:48 PM

Every Hour Bush isn't in New Orleans, bucketing water back over the levee.....a kitty dies.I love it when kittens die, but I prefer it when it is puppies. :D

nychief
09-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I love it when kittens die, but I prefer it when it is puppies. :D

speaking of which.

Friday August 26, 12:04 AM
Brigitte Bardot calls for halt to use of puppies as shark bait

I AM

I AM SEEKING

With photo

AFP Photo

Brigitte Bardot, the 1950s and 1960s film star turned animal rights campaigner, has called on the French government to halt the reported use by fishermen on the island of Reunion of live puppies and kittens as shark bait.

"It is imperative that the government does something to end this practice," she said in a letter to the minister for French overseas territories, Francois Baroin, a copy of which was given to AFP Thursday.

According to Clicanoo, a newspaper in Reunion, a French island located in the Indian Ocean, a six-month-old puppy was found last month with hooks implanted in its snout and one of its legs.

The French Society for the Protection of Animals (SPA) told the daily the dog was the victim of cruel fishermen who attract sharks by throwing puppies or kittens into the water, tied to fishing lines, and wait for the predators to swallow the thrashing animals.

"We don't see that every day, but it's not the first time, either," Marie-Annick Chantrel, the vice-president of the Reunion branch of the SPA, told Clicanoo. "We've already seen cats six or seven months old with hooks in them."

Bardot told Baroin that "unfortunately these are not isolated incidents, and the people of Reunion are the first to be horrified by this despicable barbarity which mars the image of their island."

The campaigner, who runs an animal defence association, said she had written to authorities on the island to have them put a stop to the crime.

mlyonsd
09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I am just saying if we are diverting not just money but human resources (to the tune of 150,000+) to Iraq then we are not doing all we can as a government. Frankly Iraq has been freed of Saddam. Let Iraq become what they want to become it is not our job to build nations. We are not doing a good job anyway (actually we are doing a horrible job being as we are using Al Sadr to make things work) so divert those resources home and really get to work on the problem.

You're talking two diffent issues here. Which one would you like to discuss?

There will easily be more then 150,000 American volunteers down there to help that are not military. So what is your point?

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 09:55 PM

Joe is about to burst a blood vessel in his head trying not to state the obvious and that is his beloved President has freakin dropped the ball here.

nychief
09-01-2005, 09:57 PM
http://www.house.gov/berry/medicarerx/dropped_ball.gif

gblowfish
09-01-2005, 09:58 PM

Every Hour Bush isn't in New Orleans, bucketing water back over the levee.....a kitty dies.Mark my words, the kitties will have their revenge. REVENGE I say!!!

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 09:59 PM

There will easily be more then 150,000 American volunteers down there to help that are not military. So what is your point?

Mark, give it a rest. It's ok to say the President, whom you support, has failed at SOMETHING. Clearly, he's failed here. Yes, there could be 150k American people there to volunteer but they will not have the search and rescue training, they will not be armed to patrol and police, and they will not be equipped with equipment that is needed to save lives...like, oh, helicopters and boats.

Your defense of this is really unbecoming. The fact of the matter is this adminstration in it's zeal to protect the American people from the threat of terror FORGOT to protect them from the threat of mother nature. And money that would have been used to protect them from that threat from Mother Nature is being burned by the billions in Iraq.

Logical
09-01-2005, 10:11 PM

There will easily be more then 150,000 American volunteers down there to help that are not military. So what is your point?We need to quit wasting our resources on Iraq first and foremost. How long do you think those volunteers will stay down there with no pay? Even if they stay indefinitely having 300,000 people working to solve a problem of this magnitude would be better still. Especially when those 150,000 are paid military men and women who will continue to be paid indefinitely.

Logical
09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Mark my words, the kitties will have their revenge. REVENGE I say!!!
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=46301&stc=1ROFL

nychief
09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
wasting? we are SPREADING DEMOCRACY, like Johnny Appleseed, 'cept the seed is FREEDOM.

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
wasting? we are SPREADING DEMOCRACY, like Johnny Appleseed, 'cept the seed is FREEDOM.

Something is spreading alright...

I think it's pent up anger and frustration and it's headed one direction. :clap:

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:18 PM
You dont amaze me at all.....you are going to use the suffering of millions to try and take a political jab at Bush....grow up...you lost ...get over it....you need help! Oh by the way here is a link to an article that might give you some real insight on what the president is really doing to help these people in need. God Bless them and we should be praying for them.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/01/MTFH46447_2005-09-01_20-33-54_DIT140857.html

Logical
09-01-2005, 10:19 PM

I think it's pent up anger and frustration and it's headed one direction. :clap:The south has been sustaining the Republicans for a while now. Let's see how that holds up if the President decides it is more important to support the rebuilding of Iraq than the rebuilding of the South.

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:19 PM
You dont amaze me at all.....you are going to use the suffering of millions to try and take a political jab at Bush....grow up...you lost ...get over it....you need help! Oh by the way here is a link to an article that might give you some real insight on what the president is really doing to help these people in need. God Bless them and we should be praying for them.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/01/MTFH46447_2005-09-01_20-33-54_DIT140857.html

Bush warns looters, urges Americans conserve gas

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM

I think it's pent up anger and frustration and it's headed one direction. :clap:

Your hatred and partisan venom is spreading...thats for sure.....we should be praying for the people of Iraq so that they can hammer out this constitution...we should be praying for our troops for their success in Iraq will ultimatly allow the oppurtunity for democracy.

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
The south has been sustaining the Republicans for a while now. Let's see how that holds up if the President decides it is more important to support the rebuilding of Iraq than the rebuilding of the South.

Like I said almost three days ago on the Cindy Sheehan thread...

Cindy Sheehan is old news. A bigger bitch named Katrina is going to end DUHbya's war.

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Your hatred and partisan venom is spreading...thats for sure.....we should be praying for the people of Iraq so that they can hammer out this constitution...we should be praying for our troops for their success in Iraq will ultimatly allow the oppurtunity for democracy.

And we should pray that lambs like you still leeching off the President's azz will wake the FUG up one day...

nychief
09-01-2005, 10:23 PM

Bush used 9/11 to INVADE a country that has lead to thousands dead, and unstable middle east, 4 dollar a gallon for gas and a weakened american army. Lets not talk about politicizing tragedy.

ROFL

Logical
09-01-2005, 10:24 PM

He announced his father, former President George Bush, and former President Bill Clinton, will lead a fund-raising effort in the United States for hurricane relief, as they did for the December 26, 2004, Asian tsunami.

Beautiful lets have fundraisers for the US while we rebuild Iraq with taxpayer money. I think charity plus taxpayer money is what is needed to rebuild the south. I am officially saying it, no more hinting, get our troops to f*ck out of Iraq and back here supporting the rebuilding of the US when we have been crippled.

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Bush used 9/11 to INVADE a country that has lead to thousands dead, and unstable middle east, 4 dollar a gallon for gas and a weakened american army. Lets not talk about politicizing tragedy.

ROFL

Not to mention another ISLAMIC STATE. ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
09-01-2005, 10:25 PM
After reading the article, I can see nothing wrong with what the President said at this point. However, as much as it sickens me and makes me want to vomit, I have to agree with what Howard Dean said concerning Big Oil.

nychief
09-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Praying is great, but you know what would be better? FEMA doing its job. Oh, and the 7,000 National Guardsmen from LA and MISS that are in Iraq getting their asses shot off to be at home helping AMERICANS.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Like I said almost three days ago on the Cindy Sheehan thread...

Cindy Sheehan is old news. A bigger bitch named Katrina is going to end DUHbya's war.

I guess you are not noticing the 10 Billion Bush just gave as his FIRST installment.

the Talking Can
09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Man, I'm flipping around TV and republican commentators, like O'Reilly and Scarborough and Carlson, are ripping this administration for it's total incompetance.

It's like a bizarro world where republicans are actually being honest.

the Talking Can
09-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I guess you are not noticing the 10 Billion Bush just gave as his FIRST installment.

wow...his money, huh?

so, what, by Friday they'll meet to discuss it?

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Praying is great, but you know what would be better? FEMA doing its job. Oh, and the 7,000 National Guardsmen from LA and MISS that are in Iraq getting their asses shot off to be at home helping AMERICANS.

Actually the guard is handling the situation just fine, some of my buddies from MO national guard left yesterday to help out....this is the info I got from them.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
wow...his money, huh?

so, what, by Friday they'll meet to discuss it?

you know what I meant....quit trying to change the subject

nychief
09-01-2005, 10:36 PM

oh yeah, congress got it's ass back from their 6 week vacation to rubberstamp a FEMA package, which is good.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:37 PM
oh yeah, congress got it's ass back from their 6 week vacation to rubberstamp a FEMA package, which is good.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/01/D8CBM4AG5.html

Logical
09-01-2005, 10:37 PM
I guess you are not noticing the 10 Billion Bush just gave as his FIRST installment.Wow 10 billion. We have spent 300+ billion on Iraq in just over 30 months. So I guess as long as he spends 10 billion every month I will be happy.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow 10 billion. We have spent 300+ billion on Iraq in just over 30 months. So I guess as long as he spends 10 billion every month I will be happy.

I am sure 10 billion is not all we will see from the feds.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I am sure 10 billion is not all we will see from the feds.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/01/D8CBMKGO8.html

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM

Wow, that is great. Almost four days after the fact money is being sent to the area. :clap:

People need food and water NOW. People cannot eat or drink that money. Too little, too late.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:42 PM
I would suggest that before everyone turns in tonight that we think and pray for our brothers and sisters in the south. Good night all!

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:42 PM
After reading the article, I can see nothing wrong with what the President said at this point. However, as much as it sickens me and makes me want to vomit, I have to agree with what Howard Dean said concerning Big Oil.

Ah, there is a flicker...

there is hope.

Bearcat2005
09-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Wow, that is great. Almost four days after the fact money is being sent to the area. :clap:

People need food and water NOW. People cannot eat or drink that money. Too little, too late.

Let me guess its Bush's fault...80 percent of the cities under water it is going to be hard...quit trying to make this political....the surrounding city, state and federal governments can only do so much in that time.

nychief
09-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Actually the guard is handling the situation just fine, some of my buddies from MO national guard left yesterday to help out....this is the info I got from them.

more power to your friends, but they have not be put in a very good position. Did not look like they and the numbers to handle the situation on the news this evening. Yes, total control, good numbers against that starving, gun toting mob in the Big Easy. Was the guard put in a good position when they where shot at from the ground at the Superdome, or when they where forced to stack bodies in a super market? These guys need more men, food etc... They have a tough job, being made tougher by the FEMA and the white house.

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Let me guess its Bush's fault...80 percent of the cities under water it is going to be hard...quit trying to make this political....the surrounding city, state and federal governments can only do so much in that time.

This was made 'political' the MINUTE DUHbya diverted money FROM the Army Corps of Engineers and projects scheduled to improve the levys TO his political quagmire that is Iraq...

DO NOT try to claim the Libs or anyone else is making this political. George W. Bush made choices and priorities based on his politics. The fact that he chose wrong has now killed tens of thousands of people in two different countries.

Boyceofsummer
09-01-2005, 10:47 PM
by Kevin Drum

September 1, 2005

CHRONOLOGY....Here's a timeline that outlines the fate of both FEMA and flood control projects in New Orleans under the Bush administration. Read it and weep:

January 2001: Bush appoints Joe Allbaugh, a crony from Texas, as head of FEMA. Allbaugh has no previous experience in disaster management.

April 2001: Budget Director Mitch Daniels announces the Bush administration's goal of privatizing much of FEMA's work. In May, Allbaugh confirms that FEMA will be downsized: "Many are concerned that federal disaster assistance may have evolved into both an oversized entitlement program...." he said. "Expectations of when the federal government should be involved and the degree of involvement may have ballooned beyond what is an appropriate level."

2001: FEMA designates a major hurricane hitting New Orleans as one of the three "likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country."

December 2002: After less than two years at FEMA, Allbaugh announces he is leaving to start up a consulting firm that advises companies seeking to do business in Iraq. He is succeeded by his deputy, Michael Brown, who, like Allbaugh, has no previous experience in disaster management.

March 2003: FEMA is downgraded from a cabinet level position and folded into the Department of Homeland Security. Its mission is refocused on fighting acts of terrorism.

2003: Under its new organization chart within DHS, FEMA's preparation and planning functions are reassigned to a new Office of Preparedness and Response. FEMA will henceforth focus only on response and recovery.

Summer 2004: FEMA denies Louisiana's pre-disaster mitigation funding requests. Says Jefferson Parish flood zone manager Tom Rodrigue: "You would think we would get maximum consideration....This is what the grant program called for. We were more than qualified for it."

June 2004: The Army Corps of Engineers budget for levee construction in New Orleans is slashed. Jefferson Parish emergency management chiefs Walter Maestri comments: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay."

June 2005: Funding for the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is cut by a record $71.2 million. One of the hardest-hit areas is the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, which was created after the May 1995 flood to improve drainage in Jefferson, Orleans and St. Tammany parishes.

August 2005: While New Orleans is undergoing a slow motion catastrophe, Bush mugs for the cameras, cuts a cake for John McCain, plays the guitar for Mark Wills, delivers an address about V-J day, and continues with his vacation. When he finally gets around to acknowledging the scope of the unfolding disaster, he delivers only a photo op on Air Force One and a flat, defensive, laundry list speech in the Rose Garden.

So: A crony with no relevant experience was installed as head of FEMA. Mitigation budgets for New Orleans were slashed even though it was known to be one of the top three risks in the country. FEMA was deliberately downsized as part of the Bush administration's conservative agenda to reduce the role of government. After DHS was created, FEMA's preparation and planning functions were taken away.

Actions have consequences. No one could predict that a hurricane the size of Katrina would hit this year, but the slow federal response when it did happen was no accident. It was the result of four years of deliberate Republican policy and budget choices that favor ideology and partisan loyalty at the expense of operational competence. It's the Bush administration in a nutshell.

jettio
09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
What an excellent time and Subject to show that you are a Partisan DOUCHEBAG.

you are partisan every moment of your life, when it becomes apparent that your chosen ones can't plan anything that doesn't have to do with politics or mudslinging, you pray for tragedies so that you can cry about how impolite it is to tell the truth about incompetence.

Helicopters and trucks and busses to rescue instead of low draft or amphibuous watercraft is unimaginably inefficent.

And it is pretty evident that there has not been any realistic effort to get food and water to the refugees.

you really ought to tone down your language, partisan painty waist rep pinging apologists who fear the truth should not try to use tough language and should instead try to train up their mind to be able to figure out the obvious.

CHIEF4EVER
09-01-2005, 11:33 PM
This was made 'political' the MINUTE DUHbya diverted money FROM the Army Corps of Engineers and projects scheduled to improve the levys TO his political quagmire that is Iraq...

Let's not go overboard here. Although it may have been ill advised to divert funds scheduled for levy improvements, it wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't. It's simple physics. Unless the levy is as tall as the Berlin Wall, it isn't going to hold back a 30' storm surge and keep a city that lies below sea level from flooding.

DO NOT try to claim the Libs or anyone else is making this political. George W. Bush made choices and priorities based on his politics. The fact that he chose wrong has now killed tens of thousands of people in two different countries.

How many would be dead now if SoDamn Insane were still murdering his people at the previous rate? Or if, GOD forbid, that lunatic decided to give some chemical or biological munitions to terrorist group X?

Uatu
09-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Just checking in to make sure it's still Bush's fault that a city was built in an ill-advised location and that state and local authorities inadequately prepared for this in decades past...

memyselfI
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Let's not go overboard here. Although it may have been ill advised to divert funds scheduled for levy improvements, it wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't. It's simple physics. Unless the levy is as tall as the Berlin Wall, it isn't going to hold back a 30' storm surge and keep a city that lies below sea level from flooding.

It might have mattered. We will never know how much. But in most situations, I think spending the resources to fix a problem is infinitely more productive than diverting those same resources to create other problems.

Ugly Duck
09-02-2005, 04:54 AM
Will Halliburton Rebuild New Orleans?

I doubt it. But the Bushron admin might hand them a noncompetetive contract and vast quantities of cash to rebuild NO that Halliburton will be inexplicably unable to account for.... Iraq-style. They might take the money and then say they don't know what happened to it. Or overcharge for meals that they never served. Or overcharge for gas.

Braincase
09-02-2005, 06:55 AM
The current administration did not choose the location of New Orleans. It's a port city at the mouth of the Mississippi, and that location was prime real estate for ...

THE FRENCH!

See, isn't it great how things can get turned back around on them?

"We fired our guns, and the looters kept a comin'. There wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago. We fired once more and the looters started runnin'. Hoped on a bus and went to the Astrodome." - Battle of the New Orleans' Walmart

Count Alex's Losses
09-02-2005, 07:25 AM
"We fired our guns, and the looters kept a comin'. There wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago. We fired once more and the looters started runnin'. Hoped on a bus and went to the Astrodome." - Battle of the New Orleans' Walmart

ROFL

mlyonsd
09-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Mark, give it a rest. It's ok to say the President, whom you support, has failed at SOMETHING. Clearly, he's failed here. Yes, there could be 150k American people there to volunteer but they will not have the search and rescue training, they will not be armed to patrol and police, and they will not be equipped with equipment that is needed to save lives...like, oh, helicopters and boats.

Your defense of this is really unbecoming. The fact of the matter is this adminstration in it's zeal to protect the American people from the threat of terror FORGOT to protect them from the threat of mother nature. And money that would have been used to protect them from that threat from Mother Nature is being burned by the billions in Iraq.

I really don't know what to say. If you really believe the stuff you posted here we don't have much to discuss.

I will say this, unless you drop everything right now and head down there to volunteer then STFU. If you don't you're just as guilty as Bush is for whatever you claim he isn't doing.

KCTitus
09-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Of course Haliburton will...they get all the sweet govt contracts. Those no-bid kind as I recall.

StcChief
09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Level New Orleans is the start of rebuilding upstream.

Duck Dog
09-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Helicopters and trucks and busses to rescue instead of low draft or amphibuous watercraft is unimaginably inefficent.

And it is pretty evident that there has not been any realistic effort to get food and water to the refugees.

I guess you missed the reports of rescuers in helicopters and boats being shot at, eh? It's not real easy to fly through hostile fire to deliver aid.

Why don't you give the I/N a rest for a while and take your low draft or amphibuous watercraft down to N.O. and start saving people?

BTW, dumbass, aren't all watercrafts amphibuous?

Iowanian
09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Duck........This is just another example of how Bush is an incompetent asshole, for not moving the city prior to the hurricane and not having all of the DUCKS from the Wisconsin Dells down there evacuating looters.

Crikey! Bush isn't even helping Looters get their accumulated Goods to Dry land! The Humanity!

The destruction area is 90,000 Square Miles.....Think about that for a minute. Ninety...THOUSAND square miles.

This is the area, FEMA and the Govt are supposed to have been prepared to Save within 3 days?

Also, its pretty obvious, if Bush sent in the Marines, with amphibious landing craft, the same people would be bitching about breaking the law by using active duty military in police capacity.

Duck Dog
09-02-2005, 09:07 AM
There is going to be a ton of money to be made rebuilding N.O. I wonder how many of the refugees will give up their welfare check for a peice of that pie?

I don't know who wins the contracts but whoever it is, better be more organized than FEMA.

Duck Dog
09-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Level New Orleans is the start of rebuilding upstream.

I agree with this, sorta. I think they should level N.O. filling in the bowl with the debris. Rebuild on top of the old city. Japan made an island then built an airport on it. How hard would it be to accomplish the same thing here?

Chief Henry
09-02-2005, 09:31 AM

The fricken levee system should have been IMPROVED decades ago.
The N'ahlens officials and US Army Core of Engineers and the State of Louisiana should have IMPROVED that Levee system DECADES AGO..

nychief
09-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Wow, look it is idiot Bukakee between Duck and Iowian. They look like glazed donuts.

nychief
09-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Just checking in to make sure it's still Bush's fault that a city was built in an ill-advised location and that state and local authorities inadequately prepared for this in decades past...

do you think that the federal response has been enough?

KCTitus
09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
do you think that the federal response has been enough?

It's been a clusterf*ck so far, but Im going to give it more than 4 days before I make a decision.

Iowanian
09-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Wow, look it is idiot Bukakee between Duck and Iowian. They look like glazed donuts.

It'd have been far simpler for you to just admit you got nuttin'........no suggestions for improvment...just being a bitch in the peanut gallery.

I don't think anyone is saying that the relief effort has been perfect...most anyone would agree its a clusterfug of some sort.............

I'm just willing to not be an oportunist, political DOUCHEBAG about the issue, consider the sheer magnitude of logistical nightmare it is to clear a flooded CITY in a decimated REGION, with people who are doing nothing but making things WORSE before I jump into a toddler's rant.

Many of you douchebags were bitching while the water was still Rising.

Ugly Duck
09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Duck........This is just another example of how Bush is an incompetent asshole, .... if Bush sent in the Marines, with amphibious landing craft, the same people would be bitching about breaking the law by using active duty military in police capacity.Once again I have to remind folks not to be so tough on Bush. That guy don't make no decisions, he just does what he's told to do by the Neocon Cabal. Ain't none of this is his fault - he's just a halfwitted tool.

What's really getting to worry folks is the possibility that the Cabal will pay Halliburton to create an Islamic State in New Orleans. Its bad enough that the Cabal paid Halliburton to create a haven for Islamic Fundamentalists in Iraq, but to let them do the same thing here on American soil? So many of us think that that would be bad for national security, and just plain WRONG! There's still a third of Americans that think the Bushron admin is doing a good job. If the Cabal uses American tax dollars to set up an Islamic State in Louisiana, even that support will start to erode - mark my words!

BIG_DADDY
09-02-2005, 11:26 AM
For the millionth time I don't like Bush either and didn't vote for him but constantly seeing and hearing stupid shit like this all the time makes me despise liberals to the point of thinking civil war may not be all that bad of an idea.

StcChief
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Level it and start over up stream.

New Orleans is a $hit hole.

Ugly Duck
09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
For the millionth time I don't like Bush either and didn't vote for him but constantly seeing and hearing stupid shit like this all the time makes me despise liberals....I hear ya, dude! Liberals claim to be the "compassionate" ones, and yet they constantly rag on Bush like he's some kind of evil mastermind. If we just take a quiet moment to reflect on it, we all know the truth deep down inside. The poor guy is just a burned-out partyboy thats in way over his head. The only reason he isn't running up to a windshield at a stoplight in Crawford with a squeegee and a bucket of soapy water is that he was born into the Bush family. The liberals on this board would give a compassionate look and flip him a quarter. Only the silver spoon kept him from holding up a "Will Work for Food" sign. So the Cabal needed a recognizable name to sweep themselves into office, we really can't blame a guy like that for being impressionable and going along with it. And now, just because he's the accidental POTUS, the Planet liberals pretend like he's the guy in charge just to take potshots at the poor creature. Where is the liberal compassion for people of Bush's limited capabilities? We need an attitude change bigtime. Its a sin to use people like Bush as a target. Let them have at least some dignity - we can't blame them for being used by those of us that do not suffer handicaps like he does. People, have a heart. You can't blame a guy like that for the decisions that others make for him. Its just not right.

BIG_DADDY
09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I hear ya, dude! Liberals claim to be the "compassionate" ones, and yet they constantly rag on Bush like he's some kind of evil mastermind. If we just take a quiet moment to reflect on it, we all know the truth deep down inside. The poor guy is just a burned-out partyboy thats in way over his head. The only reason he isn't running up to a windshield at a stoplight in Crawford with a squeegee and a bucket of soapy water is that he was born into the Bush family. The liberals on this board would give a compassionate look and flip him a quarter. Only the silver spoon kept him from holding up a "Will Work for Food" sign. So the Cabal needed a recognizable name to sweep themselves into office, we really can't blame a guy like that for being impressionable and going along with it. And now, just because he's the accidental POTUS, the Planet liberals pretend like he's the guy in charge just to take potshots at the poor creature. Where is the liberal compassion for people of Bush's limited capabilities? We need an attitude change bigtime. Its a sin to use people like Bush as a target. Let them have at least some dignity - we can't blame them for being used by those of us that do not suffer handicaps like he does. People, have a heart. You can't blame a guy like that for the decisions that others make for him. Its just not right.

You just don't get it. There are so many valid issues with this guy it just amazes me the ridiculously retarded things people say on the left when there are plenty of real things to go off about. That being said the last election or even the one before was the democrats to lose and they found a way to do it. From that stupid POS Gore who wouldn't back off the gun issue even when Clinton told him it would cost him the election to Kerry a left of Stalin liberal the dems gave us as an alternative the left just continues find a way to lose. After this last election the party said they need to reinvent themself and what have they done since then in order to do that? I'll tell you what they have done, move further to the left. That's not going to get the job done. Having people like meme or nychief posting stupid shit like this representing the party just continues to push middle of the roaders like me away.

KC Dan
09-02-2005, 12:14 PM
I'd like to see the Extreme Home Makeover team get hundreds home builders with gov't and private money building thousands of apt. complexes on land in NO, East TX, Ark. wherever. They could get gov't to take over the land (Sup.Ct case results) and start building. They could have thousands up in a couple of weeks. They just don't need to outfit them with plasma tv's. The refugees already have their own. Ok, that wasn't fair. :banghead:

BIG_DADDY
09-02-2005, 12:20 PM
The refugees already have their own. Ok, that wasn't fair. :banghead:

ROFL

Duck Dog
09-02-2005, 12:31 PM

Do you have any ideas to add? Or is it your job to pull the blame game out of your twat?

BIG_DADDY
09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Do you have any ideas to add? Or is it your job to pull the blame game out of your twat?

ROFL You see were not that far apart. ROFL

Calcountry
09-02-2005, 01:44 PM
I hear ya, dude! Liberals claim to be the "compassionate" ones, and yet they constantly rag on Bush like he's some kind of evil mastermind. If we just take a quiet moment to reflect on it, we all know the truth deep down inside. The poor guy is just a burned-out .No, that would be Vlad.

Calcountry
09-02-2005, 01:46 PM
There is going to be a ton of money to be made rebuilding N.O. I wonder how many of the refugees will give up their welfare check for a peice of that pie?

I don't know who wins the contracts but whoever it is, better be more organized than FEMA.They should hire the people on welfare to rebuild the city.

Wonder how long that would last. :shrug:

Duck Dog
09-02-2005, 02:07 PM
They should hire the people on welfare to rebuild the city.

Wonder how long that would last. :shrug:

Watch the news. There are thousands of 18-40 year olds that are perfectly capable of using a shovel.

nychief
09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Floyd Norris
Conservation? It's Such a 70's Idea

Published: September 2, 2005

WHERE are the plans for energy conservation? They are needed now.

The markets think that the United States will not have enough refined petroleum products to meet demand for at least a few months. The response of the government has been to relax environmental rules, which will allow more production, and to release crude oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which will do nothing to deal with inadequate refining capacity.
Skip to next paragraph
Left to its own devices, of course, the market will allocate scarce resources. If there is a shortage of gasoline or home heating oil, prices will rise until demand falls off. Refiners will do very well financially, and gas station operators may find that their margins are also great, albeit with the added irritation of angry customers yelling about profiteering.

But the nature of energy demand is that it is slow to react to price changes. In the short term, a person cannot stop driving to work. Longer term, that person can get a car with better fuel efficiency or move closer to the job - both happened after past oil spikes. But to the extent this is a short-term problem, it needs short-term solutions.

Oil was tight long before Hurricane Katrina, largely because of rising demand from China and the failure of American oil companies to invest in new refinery capacity. Katrina's damage to oil fields and refineries turned a problem into a crisis.

Oil futures prices are up only 4 or 5 percent this week, but futures prices for gasoline, home heating oil and natural gas have soared. Gasoline for delivery in October is up 30 percent. The December contract has risen 13 percent, but the March gain is just 8 percent.

In the near term, the hurricane and its aftermath may seem to spur economic growth, as some sectors are stimulated by all the spending to first salvage New Orleans and then rebuild it and the equipment that has been damaged or destroyed. The way the statisticians measure gross domestic product, there is no subtraction for destruction, but there is addition for replacement of what was destroyed.

Some will prosper. Shares in Halliburton, the oil services company, sold for $8.60 in early 2002, when the oil economy was depressed. Yesterday, they hit $63.44, setting a record for the first time since 1997.

THERE was no mention of conservation when President Bush spoke Wednesday. By yesterday, he was talking of the need to conserve, but only in a general manner.

Perhaps the politicians are paralyzed by memories of the way Jimmy Carter was mocked for wearing a sweater as he urged us to adjust our thermostats during another energy crisis. The 55 miles per hour speed limit somehow seems to be a violation of the fundamental rights of American drivers. Sacrifice speed to help avert soaring prices? Surely you must be kidding.

There are other possible effects of Katrina that could hurt the economy. If the Port of New Orleans cannot get back to full capacity soon, a lot of Midwestern grain may have trouble finding a way to market. Railroad capacity is limited, making it hard to get that grain to other ports.

But the most immediate impact is on energy prices. A major question is whether they will rise enough to choke off demand for other things, and thus damage those parts of the economy not benefiting from the reconstruction spending.

The prudent course now would be for a national effort to reduce demand. Urge drivers to slow down and tell the police to enforce speed limits. A campaign to raise home thermostats now, and lower them this winter, might reduce demand enough to limit the price increases that the market will have to bear.
Next Article in Business (3 of 26) >

Get The N

nychief
09-02-2005, 06:27 PM
It's been a clusterf*ck so far, but Im going to give it more than 4 days before I make a decision.

oh, like the 4 days it took to get troops to new orleans?

nychief
09-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Perhaps keep FEMA a cabnet level position? or when you KNOW there is a huge storm coming two days ahead of time, perhaps moblize the national guard? I dunno... simple things.