PDA

View Full Version : What I Think We Should Do

HolyHandgernade
09-03-2005, 12:54 AM
I know this has less than a snowball's chance in hell, but Bush needs to own up and start apologizing. I realize our national "pride" will never allow us to "stoop" to this level, but if we want stability in Iraq, a better global effort against terrorism, and to redirect our resources back to our homeland, this is what I believe has to occur.

He needs to go to either NATO or the UN and say:

"We miscalculated. We were so sure in what needed to be done we let our ambition override longstanding alliances and diplomatic relations to achieve what we believed was a noble plan. We did not properly forecast how deep the divide was in Iraq and how long it would take to achieve stability in that region.

We understand we made bold promises in our "Coalition of the Willing" to see the course through. And there is no doubt in my mind that we would have continued to do so if we hadn't been struck with the enormous tragedy wrecked by Katrina. Due to the magnitude of this disaster we have to redirect our resources to our homeland.

The result of our withdrawl from the Middle East region may lead to civil war and a stronghold of terrorism in the region. We believe that this threat, if not checked, will pose a serious threat to the world at large. We need the assistance and cooperation of the (NATO/UN) to ensure this does not occur. This global threat needs a global response, and we ask countires that see the value in liberty to assist us in helping Iraq move towards the higher ideals of liberty by helping it maintain an initial stability.

We need help, we need each other. You may feel justified in assigning the blame and responsibility to us for taking the course in Iraq that we did, but that will not help us quell this global problem of terrorism. Unless such a plan of cooperation is offered soon, the United States will have no option but to withdraw from Iraq completely leaving a power vaccum in a critically important region in the world. I hope you will accept our apology and then help us address this global threat, globally."

- W

penchief
09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I know this has less than a snowball's chance in hell, but Bush needs to own up and start apologizing. I realize our national "pride" will never allow us to "stoop" to this level, but if we want stability in Iraq, a better global effort against terrorism, and to redirect our resources back to our homeland, this is what I believe has to occur.

He needs to go to either NATO or the UN and say:

"We miscalculated. We were so sure in what needed to be done we let our ambition override longstanding alliances and diplomatic relations to achieve what we believed was a noble plan. We did not properly forecast how deep the divide was in Iraq and how long it would take to achieve stability in that region.

We understand we made bold promises in our "Coalition of the Willing" to see the course through. And there is no doubt in my mind that we would have continued to do so if we hadn't been struck with the enormous tragedy wrecked by Katrina. Due to the magnitude of this disaster we have to redirect our resources to our homeland.

The result of our withdrawl from the Middle East region may lead to civil war and a stronghold of terrorism in the region. We believe that this threat, if not checked, will pose a serious threat to the world at large. We need the assistance and cooperation of the (NATO/UN) to ensure this does not occur. This global threat needs a global response, and we ask countires that see the value in liberty to assist us in helping Iraq move towards the higher ideals of liberty by helping it maintain an initial stability.

We need help, we need each other. You may feel justified in assigning the blame and responsibility to us for taking the course in Iraq that we did, but that will not help us quell this global problem of terrorism. Unless such a plan of cooperation is offered soon, the United States will have no option but to withdraw from Iraq completely leaving a power vaccum in a critically important region in the world. I hope you will accept our apology and then help us address this global threat, globally."

- W

I agree that the president needs to admit a lot of mistakes but it won't happen because he seems incapable. Especially considering that he would have to admit that he ignored, verbally abused, and retaliated against those who predicted exactly what has happened in Iraq.

On the other hand, I also agree that by using the aftermath of Katrina as an excuse, he could more gracefully extract our country from Iraq in a way that would be more palatable to the American public. It would make it much more likely for him to save face. Also, the history books may treat him more kindly.

More importantly, we would be able to direct our resources toward an honest effort to protect the homeland and still fight the WOT much more efficiently by joining our allies in a way that makes more sense than does the tragic waste of human life and resources that has entailed the politically misguided invasion of Iraq.

JMHO.

memyselfI
09-03-2005, 11:42 AM

- W

Hum, which is more likely? Stubborn and dumbazz DUHbya apologizing for his misdeeds or the lambs who'd follow him off a cliff apologizing for being wrong?

Hydrae
09-03-2005, 11:58 AM
HH - This may be your finest post ever. That is saying something given the quality of most of your posts! :thumb: