Oakland cut DT Anttaj Hawthorne
Washington cut WR Kevin Dyson
Carolina cut Eddie Freeman
Miami cut DT Larry Chester
Giants cut Mike Cloud
Seattle cut WR Jerome Pathon

chief99
09-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I am going to go google on DT Hawthorne. See whats up on him.

alanm
09-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Pathon won't last long. Someone is going to snatch him up quick. R-Kal I'd welcome back to KC if we need him.

chief99
09-03-2005, 10:29 PM
From Google news.
http://news.google.com/news?q=Anttaj%20Hawthorne&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wn

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/oakland_raiders/12556325.htm

Teyo Johnson among Raiders' cuts

By Steve Corkran

Knight Ridder

Tight end Teyo Johnson wondered aloud throughout training camp if he was in danger of being cut by the Raiders. His concern proved warranted.

Johnsons headlined a group of 24 players excised from the Raiders' roster Saturday on final cutdown day.

Veteran defensive tackle Kenny Smith, defensive end/linebacker Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, fullback Chris Hetherington and rookie defensive tackle Anttaj Hawthorne were among the notable cuts as the Raiders reached the league-mandated 53-man limit.

``We're better,'' Turner said. ``We've got more good players than last season.''

That reason alone made one-time starters such as Johnson expendable, Turner said. The Raiders finished 5-11 last season.

``We were trying to find more complete players to fill out our roster,'' Turner said, when asked about Johnson's fall from a second-round draft pick in 2003 to unemployment.

Johnson's fate had been speculated for some time. Turner singled out Johnson for criticism after an exhibition game against the Houston Texans, and journeyman Zeron Flemister surged past the former Stanford star on the depth chart despite not playing in the NFL last season.

Five of the Raiders' seven selections in the NFL draft this spring made the opening-day roster -- cornerbacks Fabian Washington and Stanford Routt; quarterback Andrew Walter; and linebackers Kirk Morrison and Ryan Riddle.

Turner said the team's personnel department was busy scouring the waiver wire Sunday in the hope that other teams released players that are better fits than some of the 53 on the current Raiders roster.

For now, the Raiders are carrying an abundance of receivers and defensive backs into the season-opening game against the New England Patriots on Thursday. That, Turner said, is because of the need to be versatile and to beef up special teams play.

``We've upgraded our special teams,'' Turner said. ``We'll be much better in our coverage units.''

Johnson's somewhat surprising departure came about because of the emergence of fifth-year player Flemister and first-year player John Paul Foschi from longshots into dependable players, Turner said. Johnson did not ask for his release.

Turner knew about Flemister's skill from their time together with the Washington Redskins in 2000. However, Flemister did not play in the NFL last season and entered training camp as a question mark. Today, he is the backup to Courtney Anderson, with Foschi at No. 3.

Foschi has never played an NFL regular-season game. Yet his ability to play fullback and handle blocking defensive ends, as well as catch the occasional pass, made him more valuable than Johnson, Turner said.

Hawthorne's value, however, plummeted with the Raiders. Many NFL draft experts once rated Hawthorne as the nation's premier defensive tackle and worthy of a first- or second-round selection.

His stock slipped along with his so-so play during his senior season and at the NFL scouting combine in February. A positive test for marijuana two months before the draft further eroded his draft value.

Turner said Hawthorne fell victim to a situation where the Raiders already had too much talent at defensive tackle, and Hawthorne didn't quite meet the challenges that face players making the transition from college to the pros.

Gbaja-Biamila and Foreman were left without defined roles once the Raiders switched back to a defensive alignment that uses three linebackers instead of four.

Also of note, former tight end Rickey Dudley's attempt at a second stint ended with his release. Raiders safety Calvin Branch also was cut.

chief99
09-03-2005, 10:34 PM
"Turner said Hawthorne fell victim to a situation where the Raiders already had too much talent at defensive tackle, and Hawthorne didn't quite meet the challenges that face players making the transition from college to the pros."

This might be good for the chiefs . Remember Lilja falling to the Colts last season.

This might work out for us.

shaneo69
09-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Did Big Terd beat out Anttaj?

Valiant
09-03-2005, 11:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8801521

Green Bay cut R-Kal Truluck
Oakland cut DT Anttaj Hawthorne
Washington cut WR Kevin Dyson
Carolina cut Eddie Freeman
Miami cut DT Larry Chester
Giants cut Mike Cloud
Seattle cut WR Jerome Pathon

Hugh Douglas of philly, what were his stats last year... let me check..

Bowser
09-03-2005, 11:37 PM

They were shit.

Valiant
09-03-2005, 11:43 PM

3sacks, 15tackles... hmmpf... another sims... Say at least bring him in at league min...

keg in kc
09-03-2005, 11:44 PM
None of those seem all that interesting to me. Has been's, never were's and never will be's.

picasso
09-04-2005, 12:27 AM
What interests me is:

Jarrett Payton
Willie Middlebrooks
R-Kal Truluck

Jarrett Payton you just don't throw away. He has got a good head on his shoulders and a helluva lot of upside. But then so did Mckenzie Smith. Instead the Chiefs keep Ronnie Cruz. Whatever.

Pitt Gorilla
09-04-2005, 01:03 AM
There are some good safties out there. Shazor and Grant were both cut, IIRC.

Ugly Duck
09-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Did Big Terd beat out Anttaj?Yep. Big surprise.... Anttaj has an attitude problem. He did OK in the first few games against the scrubs. But last game it kinda looked like he just gave up or was tired or something. He'd lock up with a lineman and just kinda stand there. I knew that his play was gonna get him in big trouble with the coaching staff, but I didn't think they'd cut him. I gotta feeling he doesn't take criticism well. But.... I think he'd be a great pickup for the Chiefs!