PDA

View Full Version : Matchups and Keys to the Game - Jets vs Chiefs

B_Ambuehl
09-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Fans around the league have become accustomed to a Jets attack led by the consistent rushing attack of Curtis Martin but it's doubtful if the NY Jets come into Kansas City running the ball straight up between the tackles on power running plays as many have become accustomed to seeing this team do. If there's one thing this Chiefs defense will be focused on accomplishing on the defensive side of the football it's stopping the run.

Having said that, there are gonna be plenty of opportunities for this Jets football team to pick up chunks of yardage against the chiefs "new" defense. With the Chiefs OLBs you have 2 guys who love to go after the ball. You got one aggressive blitzing type pro bowl caliber LB Bell#99 who hasn't taken but 5 or 6 full contact snaps in almost a year who will be pumped and ready to blast someone early. On the other side you got a speedy rookie Johnson#56 who loves to chase the ball. Put them together and you might have the fastest and most aggressive OLB tandem in the NFL. Couple that with a defensive coordinator who preaches killing the running game early on and both of these guys will need to be careful not to be overly aggressive early on. Look for Heimerdinger and co. to test them early on with misdirection plays, bootlegs, and an early reverse to Laveraneus Coles. If the Chiefs D passes theses tests there will still be the opportunity for some ground gains but don't expect much in the way of successful smash mouth football. Inside, DEs Wilkerson#96 and Hicks#98 play the run extremely well fundamentally and MLB Mitchell#50 has done a good job on stuffing up between the tackles on power running plays at least in preseason. If you're gonna run the ball inside your best bet is on passing downs where you can run draw plays and take a chance that poor discipline and pursuit angles by the DTs, rush DEs, and occassional poor tackling by MLB Mitchell#50 and OLB Johnson #56 might allow you to bust one for decent yardage.

In the passing defense department, the Chiefs are purely a left handed team (offenses right hand side). They have pro bowl caliber players in Surtain #23 and Knight #29, at LCB and SS respectively. They also have a good coverage linebacker in LOLB Johnson. Your best bet would be to go to the opposite side of the field in the passing game. As "good" as the left side of their LBS and secondary are on paper against the pass, the right side is at least that bad if not worse. ROLB Bell #99 is playing in a new system and has struggled in the past dropping back into coverage as he prefers to play running downhill attacking the quarterback and/or running back. RCB McLeon#22 is simply playing in the wrong system for his skills and struggles mightily playing one on one press coverage. FS Wesley#25 is subject to mental lapses in coverage. Look to throw to the left side of the field early on with short hitches and slant routes. As McLeon #22 comes up to defend the short routes look to create a one on one matcup and go at him over the top where any of your receivers will be able to beat him deep as long as your QB can get the ball there. There should be plenty of oportunities for that exact scenario on early downs as Bell #99 is an attacking linebacker and should be in on plenty of blitzes leaving the safety and cornerback alone on the defenses right side. On 3rd downs DB #20 will blitz out of the nickel package. In either case, if you can get a tight end or RB up against FS #25 and clear him out of space you should be able to make plenty of plays down the field going against the Chiefs right corner - providing you can pick up the blitz.

The Chiefs defensive coordinator G. Cunningham loves to blitz but his players often do a poor job of disguising where the blitz is coming from. Last year this defense led the NFL in opponents yards to go on 2nd down but finished at or near the bottom in total defense, passing defense, as well as yards given up on 3rd down. The performance of the starting defense against the pass in preseason hasn't given many indications that a whole lot has changed in this department. If you can pick up the blitz and get one on one coverage downfield there will be plenty of opportunities for big plays in the passing game.

One wildcard will be the ability of the Chiefs front 4 to generate a pass rush. If they can get a pass rush then your offense will likely struggle doing anything. If they can't, and on paper they shouldn't, then youll see every blitz imaginable from them and whoever wins that battle will have a huge upper hand. If the creative blitzes get to your quarterback expect a long day for your offense and your quarterback. If you're able to pick up the blitzes expect a big day on offense.

Regardless of what happens in the passing game Edwards and Co. will have to get creative if they're gonna generate much in the way of a ground game so the Jets success or lack of should hinge on the passing game.

On the opposite side of the ball there are 2 main things to watch out for. The first will occur early on and should serve as a barometer for the rest of the game. The Chiefs offense thrives on creating one on one matchups down the field off play action pass mainly with their tight end Gonzales #88 matched up against your slower LBs or smaller DBs. They generate good matchups by forcing you to stop their potent rushing attack which is and has been extremely left hand dominant. When RB Holmes#31 is in the game expect 70% of running plays to go to the left side with counters and sweeps led by 5 of the best blockers in the NFl including RG Shields #66, C Wiegmann #62, LG Waters #54, LT Roaf #77 and FB Richardson #49. Either you stop the left side runs or you don't. If you do then you can control the Chiefs running game and their even more potent play action pass. QB Green #10 is not exactly mobile and can be succeptible to even an average pass rush providing your front 7 can create 3rd and long opportunities.

If you don't stop the run then you're in for a long day not only with the rushing attack but also with the Chiefs speedy outside receivers particularly #87 Kennison. The first couple of series should tell the story here. The Chiefs will come out running to the left as they have for ages. Zero in on the first 7 or 8 rushing plays and you'll have a good idea what kind've day it's gonna be for the Jets D. If the Jets can get through the first couple of series without giving up a long run to the left and without cheating 8 men up in the box then they're winning the early battles. If the Jets are cheating to stop the run this should be apparent realy quick as you'll see at least one long completion down the field (likely off PA pass) to either the TE or WRs within the first couple of series'.

Now, the 2nd thing to watch out for with the Chiefs Offense is backup tailback RB # 27 Johnson. When he comes into the game the rushing attack will change. Instead of running outside and to the left look for them to run inside the tackles.

The absolute best case scenario for a Jets fan would be to see the D stopping the Chiefs initial outside runs with RB Holmes #31, (while at the same time not giving up any long 25+ yard bombs down the field), as well as stopping the inside runs of Johnson #27. By stopping, I'm referring to limiting the Chiefs running game to 3 yards or less per carry. If the jets D can do both those things then you force the Chiefs to play regular dropback and pass football, something you can expect this offense to struggle with.

The worst case scenario for a Jets fan would be to see both RBs come out and pile up the yardage on 1st or 2nd down. If thats the case you put a lot of pressure on your offense to outscore this Chiefs football team while playing in a hostile environment - something easier said then done.

<b>Keys</b>

Keys for the Jets to come out of arrowhead with a victory

- Pick up the blitz and get YAC on your short routes (yards after the catch)
- Go downfield and make plays in the passing game
- Get creative with the running game
- Stop the run in the first quarter - (particularly your right hand side of the field)
- Force 3rd and long and get to the quarterback.

Keys for the Chiefs to send the Jets packing back to NY with their tail between their legs

- If you're gonna blitz you gotta get to the quarterback
- Limit YAC
- Keep your RCB out of one on one coverage
- discipline by your outside linebackers
- establish at least one of your 2 running backs
- success in the kicking game
- Limit yards given up on 3rd down

PHOG
09-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Have more points than them. :)

tk13
09-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Heimerdinger's gameplan made Drew Bennett look like Steve Largent last year. I think he's gonna be real keen on testing McCleon with both McCareins and Coles. That's still my biggest worry these first few weeks, McCleon sitting over there and not getting safety help, and the fact that I don't think Gunther is going to switch off if the opponent puts Coles/Moss/Owens over there on the left side. You'd think one player wouldn't kill you, but if he gets burned once or twice a game really bad, that could be the difference in these 7-point close 4th quarter games we always seem to get into.

tiptap
09-04-2005, 08:23 AM
This analysis is very good. Notice the tendency of the Chief's to run to the left last year. I will keep harping about this. The difference between a dominating season and a good season will be the play at RT. All our weapons are cut in half if we are forced to run only to the left to have success. Every good defense (read the afc-east) will be planning for the tendency to run to the left. And even the over stacked two TE set will signal the direction of the play (even if it is to the right) if we can't occasionally run to weak side of the formation and to the right. This means that the play of RT is the difference maker. Not between a bad and a good season. Our offense is too good to be mediocre. But between a dominant team on offense like two years ago and last years performance that only used half of the field.
If we can't run the stretch play to the right then we will be forced to run inbetween tackles because we have had some success running to the right inside of tackles. But this means that LJ would be the better back. Just look at the Rams' game. He hit holes inside of tackle and made better yardage than Priest. In Priest defense he did a better job than LJ on the stretch plays but neither back showed consistent production as teams have learned how to attack those stretch plays and expect them to go to the left.
I see the defense playing more secondary zone than we might otherwise expect from Gunn. But you have speed at the LB position and hopefully they can add help under (except Bell) to the secondary. The blitzing will come only if things get serious with having to stop the offense of the Jets. And in the second half if we have built up a lead.
We actually match up ok with their WR but you can expect McCleon to be the focus of the passing attack.

DJay23
09-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Thorough analysis, but was this written for Tecmo Super Bowl? Why no player names?

B_Ambuehl
09-04-2005, 09:18 AM
I went back and added the names.

J Diddy
09-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Thorough analysis, but was this written for Tecmo Super Bowl? Why no player names?

ROFL

jiveturkey
09-04-2005, 11:05 AM
All of it sounds about right to me.

The only thing missing on offense is Kris Wilson and Jason Dunn. Wilson should be the match up issue in the passing game while Dunn gives us more options in the running game.

I'm also starting to think that they should switch Bell and Johnson. The right side of the D is beyond suspect and Johnson's coverage skills would serve us well over there. I also bet that we see a lot of Fox on 3rd down.

jiveturkey
09-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Has anyone taken a look at the Jet's depth chart?

Them seem inexperienced at a lot of positions.

WR Justin McCareins' best year includes 56 catches for 770 yards.
RG Brandon Moore has started 14 games in his 2 year career
RT Adrian Jones hasn't ever started and this will be his 2nd year.
TE Chris Baker has never started in 4 years and his best stats came from last year with 33 catches for 333 years. I bet that we see a lot of Doug Jolley in passing situations.

NT James Reed started 2 games 4 years ago and his best year 43 tackles and 1 sack in 2003. He's also a little light @ 6' 286.
WSLB/DE Bryan Thomas started 5 games last year and 10 the year before with 58 tackles and 1 sack.
SSLB Victor Hobson started 11 games last year and recorded 54 tackles and 1 int.
SS Oliver Celestin has 1 year of exp and 5 tackles.
FS Erik Coleman started every game as a rookie last year and had a pretty good year.

We are also unkown at RT, WR and OLB'er but I like the way that we match up with these guys.

Do they play a 3-4 or 4-3, because they seem light on the D-line for the 3-4.

B_Ambuehl
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
The only thing missing on offense is Kris Wilson and Jason Dunn. Wilson should be the match up issue in the passing game while Dunn gives us more options in the running game.

Until he does it on Sunday Wilson has been nothing but talk thus far I don't think you even mention his name if you're a defensive coordinator until your guys know what they're doing with Tony G. One of the first things you must do is defend him down the field.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Has WR Justin McCareins' best year includes 56 catches for 770 yards.

didn't he get like 200 yrd against us? :(

jiveturkey
09-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Until he does it on Sunday Wilson has been nothing but talk thus far I don't think you even mention his name if you're a defensive coordinator until your guys know what they're doing with Tony G. One of the first things you must do is defend him down the field.Agreed.

But Dunn should be mentioned in the running attack.

jiveturkey
09-04-2005, 12:37 PM
didn't he get like 200 yrd against us? :(I can't find it if he did.

Drew Bennett tore us up for 233 yards.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I can't find it if he did.

Drew Bennett tore us up for 233 yards.
that's right ... it was bennett

i knew some #3 receiver had his break out against us

he should give us part of that new schpankity contract that we earned him. :sulk:

Shox
09-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Key Player Matchups:

1. John Abraham vs Chief RT-Black. Whoever ends up at RT has to be able to control Abraham. He will make some plays no doubt, but we have to keep him under control.

2. Surtain on Coles. If Surtain can be the shut-down corner he is supposed to be we will be ok, if not, it could become a long afternoon.

3. Gonzo on Jets LB. He must win this battle.....and he will

BigChiefFan
09-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Good write-up and fair assessment. I can't wait until opening day-it's right around the corner. Here's to the Chiefs going all the way!!!!

B_Ambuehl
09-04-2005, 02:14 PM
2. Surtain on Coles. If Surtain can be the shut-down corner he is supposed to be we will be ok, if not, it could become a long afternoon.

The problem with this is it isn't solely a one on one matchup. Surtain plays the left side of the field not any particular man so you're more apt to see Coles switch to the other side and go down the field against McCleon.

Even if Surtain is on Coles if Gunther blitzes and doesn't get there like he did against Seattle that's a matchup the Chiefs are apt to lose as they did against Darrell Jackson twice in one half against their best corner...fortunately one throw was way off.

stevieray
09-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Our front four has to get to Pennington. I'm not overly concerned about anything else.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
it's all about pressure and coverage imo

KCJake
09-04-2005, 03:02 PM
The three biggest keys are right here...

Keys for the Chiefs to send the Jets packing back to NY with their tail between their legs

- If you're gonna blitz you gotta get to the quarterback
- success in the kicking game
- Limit yards given up on 3rd down

tiptap
09-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Agreed.

But Dunn should be mentioned in the running attack.

The ability to spread the running game to the outside by using two tight end set to the same side has already been caught up to by defenses. And teams also understand the tendency to run to Dunn's side of the formation when the strong set is even loaded. This makes the running game either list to port or telegraph as to where the play is going. The way around this is to have a RT that can seal on weak side runs and is a presence on strong side runs. Suddenly both sides of the the field are there to exploit and we get to choose which side to run to depending upon which direction is getting better traction against each defense. All the misdirection runs suddenly get a boost in the potential for the home run that comes with attacking the corners.
Wilson is the unknown here. When he is in the game, the passing game does gain something for short distance needs. I don't have any idea how successful it will be and in the running game. I am hoping this does add a wrinkle to the offense. But I sure want Sampson to be the RT that puts this offense on fire.

tiptap
09-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Has anyone taken a look at the Jet's depth chart?

Them seem inexperienced at a lot of positions.

WR Justin McCareins' best year includes 56 catches for 770 yards.
RG Brandon Moore has started 14 games in his 2 year career
RT Adrian Jones hasn't ever started and this will be his 2nd year.
TE Chris Baker has never started in 4 years and his best stats came from last year with 33 catches for 333 years. I bet that we see a lot of Doug Jolley in passing situations.

NT James Reed started 2 games 4 years ago and his best year 43 tackles and 1 sack in 2003. He's also a little light @ 6' 286.
WSLB/DE Bryan Thomas started 5 games last year and 10 the year before with 58 tackles and 1 sack.
SSLB Victor Hobson started 11 games last year and recorded 54 tackles and 1 int.
SS Oliver Celestin has 1 year of exp and 5 tackles.
FS Erik Coleman started every game as a rookie last year and had a pretty good year.

We are also unkown at RT, WR and OLB'er but I like the way that we match up with these guys.

Do they play a 3-4 or 4-3, because they seem light on the D-line for the 3-4.

Last year the Jets were just as good running the football as KC. But they resembled the 2003 Chiefs in that they ran in all directions equally well. The RT loss for Jets has the same potential to force runs to the left as was the case for the Chiefs last year. This is good because Hicks is a good defender against the run and we should see success with a 'rookie' RT. But in addition if Jarod gets time at DLE he will be going up against a rookie RT as well in passing situations. Pennington will see him coming but he will be getting rid of the ball quicker than he would like to.

KCJake
09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Our front four has to get to Pennington. I'm not overly concerned about anything else.
Great point

htismaqe
09-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Stop the run.

Stop the run.

And when you're done stopping the run, stop the run some more.

If we can limit their running game, everything else will fall into place.

milkman
09-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I think the idea that the Chiefs have difficulty is based on last years lineup.

We've seen some outstanding blitz looks this preseason with Knight, DJ and Sapp.

Not only have they not telegraphed the blitz the way they have in the last 5 years, but their timing has been outstanding.

Add Bell to the mix, and our blitz packages will be far more effective than they have in the past.

jiveturkey
09-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I think the idea that the Chiefs have difficulty is based on last years lineup.

We've seen some outstanding blitz looks this preseason with Knight, DJ and Sapp.

Not only have they not telegraphed the blitz the way they have in the last 5 years, but their timing has been outstanding.

Add Bell to the mix, and our blitz packages will be far more effective than they have in the past.

Would Surtain and McLeon ever switch sides to stick with their men?

I would really like to see Surtain on Coles the entire game. McLeon on McCareins' is a bit of a mismatch size wise but from what I've seen JM is not a burner. I also like Sapp on Chrebet.

This should give us more options with the Blitz.

Oakland will not allow us this luxury.

milkman
09-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Would Surtain and McLeon ever switch sides to stick with their men?

I would really like to see Surtain on Coles the entire game. McLeon on McCareins' is a bit of a mismatch size wise but from what I've seen JM is not a burner. I also like Sapp on Chrebet.

This should give us more options with the Blitz.

Oakland will not allow us this luxury.

No, Surtain will stay on the left, McPassOn the right.

This is where Wesley stepping up and giving help will be a key.

neckdemon
09-05-2005, 10:39 AM
i'm sure you guys couldn't wait for my assessment of the match-ups so here it goes......

jets offense against the chiefs defense:

just like the chiefs, the jets biggest strength on offense is the o-line and the running game. where as i don't think that the chiefs bigest strength on defense is their d-line. which, imo, give the jets a slight advantage in this aspect. you've added some speed to the linebacking corps so you should be able to keep outside runs to a minimum, but you'll be up against a very good run-blocking o-line, and i think it will be tough for your d-line to keep mawae and co. off your linebackers. as for the passing game, you've upgraded your secondary with surtain, but you also have a problem with cb depth on the other side where you will be missing a starter for a month. imo, i don't think your front 4 will be able to get consistent pressure on pennington and your secondary is going to suffer because of that. i'm looking for coles and mccareins to have a good day against your defensive backfield. i say the jets can realistically put up 30 points against your defense.

chiefs offense against jets defense:

same is true for the chiefs in that your biggest offensive strength is your o-line and running game. only difference here is that the jets biggest strength on defense is the outstandning front 7. so this is strength vs. strength . and, normally a good defense can limit a good offense. not that not to say the chiefs aren't going to score i just don't think they can put enough points on our defense to come away with a win. your other offensive strength, TE, just happens to be another area the jets are pretty good at. which is defending TE's. he'll get his catches, but ijust don't htink he's going to be bale to dominate the game like he is capable of doing. so, realsitically i say the chiefs will put about 20-24 points on the jets.

it remains to be seen what will happen in the special teams game. you have a returner in dante hall who is a real weapon. but we have a punter who can negate the return game. should be a good battle. i think you'll be seeing a few more fair catches from hall then you're accustomed to seeing.

so in conclusion, jets win this one in a tough arrowhead stadium at a score of about 28-20.

Bowser
09-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Pretty level headed, neckdemon. As much as I would like to tell you that your assessment of our defense is based on preconceived notions, I can't. Not until they prove different.

Now for your claim that your front seven will outplay us in the running game, I'll direct your attention to the Chiefs vs. Ravens Monday Night game of last year. ;)

*Oh, and the Jets will lose. I'm saying 34-30.

milkman
09-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Pretty level headed, neckdemon. As much as I would like to tell you that your assessment of our defense is based on preconceived notions, I can't. Not until they prove different.

Now for your claim that your front seven will outplay us in the running game, I'll direct your attention to the Chiefs vs. Ravens Monday Night game of last year. ;)

*Oh, and the Jets will lose. I'm saying 34-30.

And don't forget the Falsons, who at the time we faced them were the #1 run defense, I believe.

Bowser
09-05-2005, 10:54 AM
And don't forget the Falsons, who at the time we faced them were the #1 run defense, I believe.

:thumb:

neckdemon
09-05-2005, 10:59 AM

i don't necessarily think that our front 7 is going to outplay you i just think that they will be bale to limit the big play potential and keep you to more pedestrian numbers.

Bowser
09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
i don't necessarily think that our front 7 is going to outplay you i just think that they will be bale to limit the big play potential and keep you to more pedestrian numbers.

My Monday Night game wasn't as good of an example as Sidewinder bringing up our game against the Falcons here at Arrowhead. They came in as the #1 rushing defense, and we laid eight rushing touchdowns on them (I forget the total rushing yards, but I believe it was 200+).

milkman
09-05-2005, 11:04 AM
We can talk about all the other peripheral areas, like QB, secondary play, LBs, TEs, etc, etc, etc.

But to me, it comes down to two things.

Can the Jets D-Line get penetration against the Chiefs O-Line, and vice versa, and who turns the ball over.

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Stop the run.

Stop the run.

And when you're done stopping the run, stop the run some more.

If we can limit their running game, everything else will fall into place.
:shake:

stopping the run doesn't work if you continue to give up 3rd and long passes for 1st downs. Eventually if the other team keeps getting 1st downs your running defense will just wear out.

we are going to have to be blitz happy this year unless our defensive ends step up the pass rush.

milkman
09-05-2005, 11:12 AM

stopping the run doesn't work if you continue to give up 3rd and long passes for 1st downs. Eventually if the other team keeps getting 1st downs your running defense will just wear out.

we are going to have to be blitz happy this year unless our defensive ends step up the pass rush.

The fact is, in the last couple of seasons, our defense has fairly consistently created 2nd and long/ 3rd and long situations.

The problem is that our blitz's have been ineffective, because of poor execution/ failure to disguise, and lack of speed at the LB position.

Preseason indications are that bothareas are greatly improved.

If that is the case, then our 3rd down defense should be improved.

Sure, because of McPassOn and Wesley, there are going to be some big plays for first down, but I fully expect that success rate to drop considerably.

htismaqe
09-05-2005, 11:30 AM

How would we know? We can't stop the run.

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 11:36 AM
How would we know? We can't stop the run.
because WE watch other football besides just the chiefs

heh :p

i just disagree with this idea of yours that passing defense isn't very important.

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 11:39 AM
The fact is, in the last couple of seasons, our defense has fairly consistently created 2nd and long/ 3rd and long situations
yes we have ... but then we consistantly gave up the long pass for a 1st down. Then eventually we'd get tired or make a mistake and the other team would break a long run.

hopefully that's better this year.

i was just pointing out to parker that being bad in any phase of defense will eventually effect the ENTIRE defense.

B_Ambuehl
09-05-2005, 12:03 PM
just like the chiefs, the jets biggest strength on offense is the o-line and the running game. where as i don't think that the chiefs bigest strength on defense is their d-line. which, imo, give the jets a slight advantage in this aspect.

The D-line wasn't a strength last year but this defense still stuffed the run on obvious running downs, leading the league in yards to go on 2nd down with the worst linebacking corp in the NFL by far. Surely you wouldn't expect the defense to be any worse this year would you? Jets might pick up yards on the ground, but they'll have to do it by running on passing downs and using other gimmick type running plays. But why try to run the ball on passing downs when the KC defense is so pathetic against the pass??

as for the passing game, you've upgraded your secondary with surtain, but you also have a problem with cb depth on the other side where you will be missing a starter for a month.

No disagreements there

I don't think your front 4 will be able to get consistent pressure on pennington and your secondary is going to suffer because of that. i'm looking for coles and mccareins to have a good day against your defensive backfield. i say the jets can realistically put up 30 points against your defense.

The front 4 shouldn't be able to get consistent pressure but that won't be the <i>main</i> reason the secondary suffers, if they do. They will suffer because of the blitzing they do and if your quarterback picks them up what you described above will happen with long gains just as it has the last 2 years and throughout preseason for this defense.

only difference here is that the jets biggest strength on defense is the outstandning front 7. so this is strength vs. strength . and, normally a good defense can limit a good offense.

Yeah this was really evident in the 2nd half of last years AFC championship game against the Steelers and their geriatric running back. :)

I don't expect many runs from the Chiefs until #27 comes into the game. Holmes has lost a couple of steps and the running game with him in there is very predictable as i described earlier. You mentioned something about WRs though. One thing many don't realize is #87 has been among the league leaders in 40 + yard plays and last year actually had more then Moss so don't be suprised to see the Chiefs try to get him 1 on 1 vs that expensive pro bowler you guys signed at CB.

Now something else that has been on my mind. I can't figure out why the Jets always seem to be among the league leaders in close victories or 4th quarter victories. It would appear Herm Edwards has actually zero control of this football team. He gets in near brawls with his assistants in the middle of games. His players do what they want and act like a bunch of little kids. You would expect a team like this to run purely on positive or negative emotion but they do seem to have something there and it makes me wonder where it comes from.

neckdemon
09-05-2005, 12:57 PM
It would appear Herm Edwards has actually zero control of this football team. He gets in near brawls with his assistants in the middle of games. His players do what they want and act like a bunch of little kids. You would expect a team like this to run purely on positive or negative emotion but they do seem to have something there and it makes me wonder where it comes from.

hmmm, interesting. out of all the knocks i've heard on herm i've never heard this one. for the most part i think the jets are a pretty disciplined football team. they are always among the league leaders in penalties/yards lost categories. they are also among the league leaders in takeaway/giveaway category. there usually isn't much showboating goign on during the game from the jets either. the reason for the close games, imo, was hacketts conservative crap. once we got a lead he would go into a shell, refusing to ever once go for the jugualr. the fight you are talking about, is speculated to have something to do with edwards' disagreement with the rb coach. herm supposedly wanted lamont jordan to be in the game and martin was put in instead. i guess herm felt he was being insubordinate.

milkman
09-05-2005, 01:01 PM
hmmm, interesting. out of all the knocks i've heard on herm i've never heard this one. for the most part i think the jets are a pretty disciplined football team. they are always among the league leaders in penalties/yards lost categories. they are also among the league leaders in takeaway/giveaway category. there usually isn't much showboating goign on during the game from the jets either. the reason for the close games, imo, was hacketts conservative crap. once we got a lead he would go into a shell, refusing to ever once go for the jugualr. the fight you are talking about, is speculated to have something to do with edwards' disagreement with the rb coach. herm supposedly wanted lamont jordan to be in the game and martin was put in instead. i guess herm felt he was being insubordinate.

I tend to believe, to an extent, that an OC's play calling in games that his team has taken a lead is reflective of a HC's philosophy.

Although with Hackett, it's hard to say.
That guy is among the worst ever.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-05-2005, 01:41 PM

I don't think there's nothing wrong with being blitz happy, if it's effective. There are some teams that blitz alot, Pittsburgh and Philly to name a couple. I've seen them not get any pressure at all during the course of games but only when they blitz. But the key is to be effective.

B_Ambuehl
09-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Just a quick analysis of my original keys :)

Fans around the league have become accustomed to a Jets attack led by the consistent rushing attack of Curtis Martin but <b> it's doubtful if the NY Jets come into Kansas City running the ball straight up between the tackles on power running plays</b> as many have become accustomed to seeing this team do.

And they didn't :)

Having said that, there are gonna be plenty of opportunities for this Jets football team to pick up chunks of yardage against the chiefs "new" defense. With the Chiefs OLBs you have 2 guys who love to go after the ball. You got one aggressive blitzing type pro bowl caliber LB Bell#99 who hasn't taken but 5 or 6 full contact snaps in almost a year who will be pumped and ready to blast someone early. On the other side you got a speedy rookie Johnson#56 who loves to chase the ball. Put them together and you might have the fastest and most aggressive OLB tandem in the NFL. Couple that with a defensive coordinator who preaches killing the running game early on and <b>both of these guys (Johnson and Bell) will need to be careful not to be overly aggressive early on. Look for Heimerdinger and co. to test them early on with misdirection plays, bootlegs, </b>

Gotta hold your ground against the bootleg DJ....I thought Bell looked great

Inside, DEs Wilkerson#96 and Hicks#98 play the run extremely well fundamentally and MLB Mitchell#50 has done a good job on stuffing up between the tackles on power running plays at least in preseason.<b> If you're gonna run the ball inside your best bet is on passing downs where you can run draw plays</b> and take a chance that poor discipline and pursuit angles by the DTs, rush DEs, and occassional poor tackling by MLB Mitchell#50 and OLB Johnson #56 might allow you to bust one for decent yardage.

I think 80% + of the Jets paltry rushing yards came on draws.

In the passing defense department, the Chiefs are purely a left handed team (offenses right hand side). They have pro bowl caliber players in Surtain #23 and Knight #29, at LCB and SS respectively. They also have a good coverage linebacker in LOLB Johnson. Your best bet would be to go to the opposite side of the field in the passing game. RCB McLeon#22 is simply playing in the wrong system for his skills and struggles mightily playing one on one press coverage. FS Wesley#25 is subject to mental lapses in coverage. Look to throw to the left side of the field early on with short hitches and slant routes. As McLeon #22 comes up to defend the short routes look to create a one on one matcup and go at him over the top where any of your receivers will be able to beat him deep as long as your QB can get the ball there.

I thought Gun did a good job giving McCleon help. No one could expect Surtain to be out early but Washington gave up what should've been 4 easy long completions on the opposite side of the field.

On 3rd downs DB #20 will blitz out of the nickel package.
The Chiefs defensive coordinator G. Cunningham loves to blitz but his players often do a poor job of disguising where the blitz is coming from.

And blitz Benny Sapp did. However, I still feel he needs to work on not being so blatant about it.

Last year this defense led the NFL in opponents yards to go on 2nd down but finished at or near the bottom in total defense, passing defense, as well as yards given up on 3rd down. The performance of the starting defense against the pass in preseason hasn't given many indications that a whole lot has changed in this department. <b>If you can pick up the blitz and get one on one coverage downfield there will be plenty of opportunities for big plays in the passing game</b>.

The only negative I saw on the defensive side of the football.

<b>One wildcard will be the ability of the Chiefs front 4 to generate a pass rush. </b>If they can get a pass rush then your offense will likely struggle doing anything. If they can't, and on paper they shouldn't, then youll see every blitz imaginable from them and whoever wins that battle will have a huge upper hand. If the creative blitzes get to your quarterback expect a long day for your offense and your quarterback. If you're able to pick up the blitzes expect a big day on offense.

Allen was fantastic even on 3 and 4 man rushes. He generated pressure on every snap in the first half looking like a man possessed from my perspective and Jets RT should've been called for holding on him twice in the 2nd half

Regardless of what happens in the passing game Edwards and Co. will have to get creative if they're gonna generate much in the way of a ground game so the Jets success or lack of should hinge on the passing game.

And they didn't

On the opposite side of the ball there are 2 main things to watch out for. <b>The first will occur early on and should serve as a barometer for the rest of the game. The Chiefs offense thrives on creating one on one matchups down the field off play action pass mainly with their tight end Gonzales #88 matched up against your slower LBs or smaller DBs. They generate good matchups by forcing you to stop their potent rushing attack which is and has been extremely left hand dominant.</b> When RB Holmes#31 is in the game expect 70% of running plays to go to the left side with counters and sweeps led by 5 of the best blockers in the NFl including RG Shields #66, C Wiegmann #62, LG Waters #54, LT Roaf #77 and FB Richardson #49. <b>Either you stop the left side runs or you don't. If you do then you can control the Chiefs running game and their even more potent play action pass.</b> QB Green #10 is not exactly mobile and can be succeptible to even an average pass rush providing your front 7 can create 3rd and long opportunities.

If you don't stop the run then you're in for a long day not only with the rushing attack but also with the Chiefs speedy outside receivers particularly #87 Kennison. The first couple of series should tell the story here.<b> The Chiefs will come out running to the left as they have for ages. Zero in on the first 7 or 8 rushing plays and you'll have a good idea what kind've day it's gonna be for the Jets D.</b> If the Jets can get through the first couple of series without giving up a long run to the left and without cheating 8 men up in the box then they're winning the early battles.

DV saying to Herm, "Son, you gotta do better then that". First drive: Priest 35 yard run to the left. Next play - LJ 35 yard run to the left. Next drive: priest TD sweep to the left. LJ 100+ yards running to the left.

Now, the 2nd thing to watch out for with the Chiefs Offense is backup tailback RB # 27 Johnson. When he comes into the game the rushing attack will change. Instead of running outside and to the left look for them to run inside the tackles.

Inside the tackle and off to the left. Vilma getting owned by J. Dunn consistently

The absolute best case scenario for a Jets fan would be to see the D stopping the Chiefs initial outside runs with RB Holmes #31, (while at the same time not giving up any long 25+ yard bombs down the field), as well as stopping the inside runs of Johnson #27. By stopping, I'm referring to limiting the Chiefs running game to 3 yards or less per carry. If the jets D can do both those things then you force the Chiefs to play regular dropback and pass football, something you can expect this offense to struggle with.

<b>The worst case scenario for a Jets fan would be to see both RBs come out and pile up the yardage on 1st or 2nd down. If thats the case you put a lot of pressure on your offense to outscore this Chiefs football team while playing in a hostile environment - something easier said then done. </b>

Enter the worst case scenario for a Jets fan.

Keys for the Jets to come out of arrowhead with a victory

- A: Pick up the blitz and get YAC on your short routes (yards after the catch)
- B: Go downfield and make plays in the passing game
- C: Get creative with the running game
- D: Stop the run in the first quarter - (particularly your right hand side of the field)
- E: Force 3rd and long and get to the quarterback.

A: negative
B: neutral
C: negative
D: negative
E: negative

- A: If you're gonna blitz you gotta get to the quarterback
- B: Limit YAC
- C: Keep your RCB out of one on one coverage
- D: discipline by your outside linebackers
- E: establish at least one of your 2 running backs
- F: success in the kicking game
- G: Limit yards given up on 3rd down

A: neutral
B: negative
C: positive +
D: overall positive
E: positive +